DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Need Some Good 8" or 10" Powered Speakers

Dj K.Smith 11:33 PM - 8 February, 2010
One of my goals this year is to have a mini system for those "not so big" gigs (house parties, backyard boogies, etc...) I am somewhat there with my VCI-300. All I need now is the sound. Preferably something that will be small enough to fit into my Toyota Yaris (no recall) www.motorpoint.com.au

Any suggestions on some not so expensive yet reliable options for my project?

Thanks
DJ Dub Cowboy 11:45 PM - 8 February, 2010
QSC K8s. I'm loving them. Great warranty (6 year), great sound, light and small
djaction 12:36 AM - 9 February, 2010
the new 8" EV's. $500
Maskrider 12:44 AM - 9 February, 2010
Ev ZxA1
Anu 2:28 AM - 9 February, 2010
My homie got the mackie's them mugs loud and clear the low end is ok for 10's but he keep'em clean tho.....
Heavy Kevy 2:35 AM - 9 February, 2010
I got my hands on a pair of KRK RockIt 8's and they kick a$$! I did an event in a gymnasium once and they rocked the place. Low end and high end is crystal clear I find.
DJ GaFFle 3:38 AM - 9 February, 2010
EV ZXa1
DJ GaFFle 3:46 AM - 9 February, 2010
Quote:
I got my hands on a pair of KRK RockIt 8's for the studio, they kick a$$! I did an event in a gymnasium once and they nearly kicked my a$$! Low end and high end for gyms are for pro audio speakers ONLY.

Fixed
Dj K.Smith 4:16 AM - 9 February, 2010
LOL Gaffle, wassup family?
Dj K.Smith 4:16 AM - 9 February, 2010
I'm trying to be economical with these speakers fellas.... Don't just name 'em, drop me some numbers to...
Anu 5:32 AM - 9 February, 2010
latindj 4:58 PM - 9 February, 2010
K.Smitty....you should know size does not matter (misquote away), it's the quality. And we all know, you get what you pay for....if you wanna go cheap, you're gonna sound cheap.
uno seis 5:02 PM - 9 February, 2010
nice thread...i'm on the hunt too.
Dj K.Smith 7:34 PM - 9 February, 2010
Quote:
K.Smitty....you should know size does not matter (misquote away), it's the quality. And we all know, you get what you pay for....if you wanna go cheap, you're gonna sound cheap.

I feel you Latin... Just want to get teh best deal for these hard to earn dollars man... I see the mackie srm 350v2's and the eon10's for $400-$500 and could save a few there. Keeping in mind the purpose of the system is not to "thump" just hold it down in a smaller environment. If I get the dough though, I will look at those QSC's... They seem pretty solid...
DJ Dub Cowboy 7:49 PM - 9 February, 2010
6 year warranty is what sold me on the QSCs. I've already had to use it on one of my K10s.
V-Mag 5:31 AM - 11 February, 2010
Quote:
QSC K8s. I'm loving them. Great warranty (6 year), great sound, light and small

Can't go wrong with them! Excellent choice. I have the K12's for my mobile system, looking at the K'8's for wedding ceremonies!
Dj K.Smith 9:38 PM - 11 February, 2010
Those Ev's are looking like they might be the ones... $500 is in the range... Any others out there we're missing?
Dj K.Smith 5:15 AM - 14 February, 2010
guess not
DJ GaFFle 8:15 PM - 14 February, 2010
Quote:
Those Ev's are looking like they might be the ones... $500 is in the range... Any others out there we're missing?

Good choice K Smith... the only issue is EV doesn't (YET) have a comparable powered sub (besides the SB2a). I'm sure they'll have one in the near future that'll compete with the Qsc K-sub. If you already have a sub, you're good.
Dj K.Smith 10:06 PM - 14 February, 2010
Wouldn't need a sub Gaffle. These would be for my smaller events and wedding ceremonies when I use my VCI-300... Bigger stuff I use my Mackie's and Yorkville subs...

I wouldn't mind the QSC's but for $300 less I think that's the better deal...
JDforKing 11:54 PM - 14 February, 2010
i use my srm 350s.. they work well for a 10 inch speaker... see if you can get a used pair of the early model on ebay.. will run you about 600 for 2...
Dj K.Smith 11:59 PM - 14 February, 2010
Thought about those also man... See now you're making me straddle the fence again, LOL...
2Cuchi 11:59 PM - 14 February, 2010
Dj K.Smith 12:16 AM - 15 February, 2010
Quote:
i use this www.guitarcenter.com

Yeah man, we've talked about those already. But those suckas are $650 a pop... $1300 is a grip dude. Plus I know me and I'll wanna get bags right then and all that... If they were EV priced closed deal... I did just get off the phone with a client who just locked me up for a wedding in June so now I'm even more tempted, LOL...
DJ Michael Basic 1:10 AM - 15 February, 2010
Smizzle, the QSC k8s is what I was using at the Jammy Jam.
SK1 1:19 AM - 15 February, 2010
That set up was sick.
Dj K.Smith 1:21 AM - 15 February, 2010
I remember MB... But those suckas are expensive...
Dj K.Smith 1:22 AM - 15 February, 2010
Quote:
Smizzle, the QSC k8s is what I was using at the Jammy Jam.

Plus you're Jewish so you got money... LOL
DJ Michael Basic 1:31 AM - 15 February, 2010
Lil Wayne/T-Pain aren't Jewish, and they "Got Money" and you know it.
Dj K.Smith 1:37 AM - 15 February, 2010
But their locks are longer than mine, plus they rap so they got more money...
DJ Michael Basic 1:44 AM - 15 February, 2010
Every time you want fried chicken or watermelon, just have some ramen and water instead, and with all that money you save, you can afford some QSCs in no time!
Dj K.Smith 2:06 AM - 15 February, 2010
Why don't you just go to one of your jewelry stores and get $1300 out of the cash register for me... That chump change for the Basic (aka Schwartz) family...
Dj K.Smith 3:02 AM - 15 February, 2010
Just got the EV's for $850 from Musician's Friend...

Thoughts? LOL
Mm3 3:21 AM - 15 February, 2010
Quote:

Thoughts? LOL

Good deal! check your private discussion.
Dj K.Smith 3:23 AM - 15 February, 2010
nothing there dude...
DJ GaFFle 11:52 AM - 15 February, 2010
Quote:

Thoughts? LOL

Damn good deal! Let us know how they sound. I'd be really curious to hear of your thoughts on the ZXa1s vs. K8's.
DJ GaFFle 12:01 PM - 15 February, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Thoughts? LOL

Damn good deal! Let us know how they sound. I'd be really curious to hear of your thoughts on the ZXa1s vs. K8's.

I just thought about it, for the price of a pair of K8's, you could buy 3 EVs at Musicians Friend...
Dj K.Smith 4:49 PM - 15 February, 2010
Yeah Gaffle, I called PSSL yesterday and the best deal I got was $1,353... Not a strong selling point dude d=for some speakers I'll use rarely to sometimes, lol...
DJ Dub Cowboy 4:55 PM - 15 February, 2010
I paid just under 500 each for my K8s
Dj K.Smith 5:25 PM - 15 February, 2010
Quote:

From where dude? Details?
DJ McKay 5:28 PM - 15 February, 2010
i might be pickin up a pair of used 450's that are in sick ass shape for $400 a piece.
lvmez 5:33 PM - 15 February, 2010
Quote:

that's crazy. where at?
DJ Dub Cowboy 5:49 PM - 15 February, 2010
Top secret. Pm me for details
StevenWayne 6:06 PM - 15 February, 2010
Quote:

Thoughts? LOL

great price, i've bought stuff from musiciansfriends....no tax. let me borrow those 8's this weekend, i'll let you know how they sound
DJ GaFFle 6:07 PM - 15 February, 2010
Quote:

That $500 needs to be the high mark for some damn 8" speakers. For QSC to slap you for $649 retail is insane. The more EV puts the ZXa1s out there, the lower you'll see QSC drop their pricing on the K8s. That's a realistic / great deal Dub Cowboy...
Quote:
great price, i've bought stuff from musiciansfriends....no tax. let me borrow those 8's this weekend, i'll let you know how they sound

LoL
Dj K.Smith 6:13 PM - 15 February, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Thoughts? LOL

Woulda used them at that shady @$$ b-day party this past Sat, lol... But got played out by the $100 dj...
StevenWayne 6:22 PM - 15 February, 2010
haha, you shouldve upped your game and charged them $75!
Dj K.Smith 5:47 AM - 18 February, 2010
Joints just shipped... Yeah boy!!!
Dj K.Smith 7:14 PM - 26 February, 2010
Quote:

*****UPDATE*****

Musicians Friend shipped me 1 speaker last week. They are now backordered until 3/15 and I don't know if my order will be included in that shipment.

So, ya boy just got off the phone with MF and cancelled that order, got the QSC K8's for $1059 and will get those (in stock items) by Wednesday next week. I have an audition for this wedding company next Saturday and I need my 2 complete setups to make sure my presentation is together... EV seems to have dropped the ball in terms of the anticipation for these new speakers...

I did hook up the one I received and it did have a nice kick to it... Sounded really good to be so little. But now I'm hoping all the raves about the QSC's are true...
lvmez 8:47 PM - 26 February, 2010
i just spoke to my cousin florida who can get me k8's for $450 each. k10's for $480. gonna pick a pair up.
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:23 PM - 26 February, 2010
what part of FL?
lvmez 10:38 PM - 26 February, 2010
it's thru a rep.
Dj K.Smith 12:13 AM - 27 February, 2010
Quote:
i just spoke to my cousin florida who can get me k8's for $450 each. k10's for $480. gonna pick a pair up.

That ain't fair, lol...
DJ GaFFle 11:59 AM - 27 February, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

*****UPDATE*****

Musicians Friend shipped me 1 speaker last week. They are now backordered until 3/15 and I don't know if my order will be included in that shipment.

So, ya boy just got off the phone with MF and cancelled that order, got the QSC K8's for $1059 and will get those (in stock items) by Wednesday next week. I have an audition for this wedding company next Saturday and I need my 2 complete setups to make sure my presentation is together... EV seems to have dropped the ball in terms of the anticipation for these new speakers...

I did hook up the one I received and it did have a nice kick to it... Sounded really good to be so little. But now I'm hoping all the raves about the QSC's are true...

Damn, I was just about to PM you on how they sound. LoL... looks like QSC is coming off their high horse with that $649 K8 pricing and having to compete with the ZXa1 pricing.
Dj K.Smith 4:12 PM - 27 February, 2010
It did sound pretty good but when we were at the last jammy jam, Basic had the K8's hooked up and they were bumping. I needed to receive 2 speakers instead of 1 (how dumb Musicians Friend)...
Dj K.Smith 6:34 AM - 28 February, 2010
For all the K8 owners, could you use them solely at a function up to 100 people?
Maskrider 9:57 AM - 28 February, 2010
@ K.Smith since you are going to have both maybe you can have like a side by side comparison much appreciated coz I'm looking for smaller speakers as well.
DJ Dub Cowboy 10:58 AM - 28 February, 2010
Quote:
For all the K8 owners, could you use them solely at a function up to 100 people?

with sub, yes
DJ GaFFle 2:25 PM - 28 February, 2010
Quote:
@ K.Smith since you are going to have both maybe you can have like a side by side comparison much appreciated coz I'm looking for smaller speakers as well.

Hey may have sent that unit back... if not... Please compare 1 EV to 1 QSC.
DJ GaFFle 2:27 PM - 28 February, 2010
^^^ judge sound quality, high-volume levels, handling of bass notes at different volume levels, overall loudness, perceived clarity. ^^^
Dj K.Smith 4:18 PM - 28 February, 2010
Quote:
^^^ judge sound quality, high-volume levels, handling of bass notes at different volume levels, overall loudness, perceived clarity. ^^^

I sent that back yesterday morning Gaffle... The QSC's will be here on Wednesday...
Dj K.Smith 4:19 PM - 28 February, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

with sub, yes

So without a sub, no go? I'm thinking of how they sounded at the last jammy jam we had out here and I would think they could Dub...
DJ Dub Cowboy 7:28 PM - 28 February, 2010
I think there was a K-sub under one of them. I don't think you'll be disappointed. They sound full.
It's just that Basic's house was bumping hard and I'm sure that was because of the ksub.
DJ Michael Basic 10:32 PM - 28 February, 2010
Yeah I had the sub going smizzle...and especially with the way my house is built...the sub was rumbling on the wood floor.
djticonyc 11:16 PM - 28 February, 2010
after reading this thread I'm feeling like selling my mackies and buying the qsc k12. Bit expensive compared to the price ev has and mackie srm 450v2 right now tho ;o
Dj K.Smith 12:45 AM - 1 March, 2010
So Basic could you run just those 8's for a party of no more than 100?
latindj 5:32 PM - 1 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

LMAO! GaFFle must not live near a GC....
AMF 6:26 PM - 1 March, 2010
Ok, I am waaaayyyyyy late to the party. EV has a powered speaker that weighs 20 pounds?! I was just thinking of getting a set of smaller speakers and I happened to see this thread. I gots to check these out asap.

/ being new
DJ GaFFle 8:32 PM - 1 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I thought he had both units in hand. The ZXa1s are not out in stores yet and GC doesn't sell EV. I'd have to go to a Sam Ash to hear both (when the EVs hit stock).
DJ GaFFle 8:32 PM - 1 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I thought he had both units in hand. The ZXa1s are out in stores yet and GC doesn't sell EV. I'd have to go to a Sam Ash to hear both (when the EVs hit stock).
latindj 9:16 PM - 1 March, 2010
understood. just thought it was funny...

:)
stevie o 9:49 PM - 1 March, 2010
Petiton to get K smith sponsored by jbl thread?
Dj K.Smith 1:02 AM - 2 March, 2010
Quote:

Somebody!!!! GImme something free dangit, lol...
Maskrider 8:22 AM - 2 March, 2010
They should do a Shootout between the EVZXa1 and QSC k8.
stevie o 1:49 AM - 4 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Ask obama, he loves giving shit away for free. He's a hybrid of Robin hood and santa
Dj K.Smith 5:52 AM - 4 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ask obama, he loves giving shit away for free. He's a hybrid of Robin hood and santa

Hater...
Dj K.Smith 5:55 AM - 4 March, 2010
Ok so I got my K8's today and I have to say that they do hit harder than the EV's. No question, especially when you can flick a switch and have lows come in "deep" on them little suckas. The Ev's sound "crisp" and sharp but the K8's sound like that with the bass and more "hump" than the Ev's... If all goes well this weekend at my audition, I might be selling my 450's and getting some K12's to replace 'em....

My 2 set ups are now complete..

System 1 - (2) Denon 3700's, TTM 57, Mackie 450's (Yorkville subs if needed)

System 2 - VCI-300, (2) QSC K8's

Yeah baby....
DJ Koeul Benny 6:06 AM - 4 March, 2010
Quote:
I'm trying to be economical with these speakers fellas.... Don't just name 'em, drop me some numbers to...

Bro this is a discussion you started Im sure you would have better luck at guitar center

and really im surprised so many kept responding after the comment I just quoted

All Im saying Bro is Dont be a D*ck do your own research.

Although it seems you already got you need anyways

Big SMH @ the rest of you
latindj 6:10 AM - 4 March, 2010
dude, where's your head at? K Smitty asked a legitimate question and is most definitely NOT a dick....

a big SMH back at you foolio....
DJ Koeul Benny 6:14 AM - 4 March, 2010
Quote:
dude, where's your head at? K Smitty asked a legitimate question and is most definitely NOT a dick....

a big SMH back at you foolio....

Oh my Bad latin I guess I stepped outta my lane

Peace Yo
latindj 6:16 AM - 4 March, 2010
it's cool man. He's just looking from some sound advice (no pun intended)...

Peace back at you bro
DJ Koeul Benny 6:20 AM - 4 March, 2010
Quote:
it's cool man. He's just looking from some sound advice (no pun intended)...

Peace back at you bro

and actually very informative advice I Usually hunt for threads I may be able to help
someone who needs help with something. But you guys had all the bases covered
and I learned a lot too.
stevie o 12:34 PM - 4 March, 2010
smiz check pm
Dj K.Smith 4:34 PM - 4 March, 2010
Quote:
Bro this is a discussion you started Im sure you would have better luck at guitar center

and really im surprised so many kept responding after the comment I just quoted

All Im saying Bro is Dont be a D*ck do your own research.

Although it seems you already got you need anyways

Big SMH @ the rest of you

Was this aimed at me? I don't even know you cat and to call me out of my name in a thread is weak. Your response wasn't asked for or needed. I don't roll with all that e-thuggin', internet name calling stuff...

I think many people benefitted from this thread and I know I certainly did from all the pm's I got asking me about these and other powered speakers... Next time ask yourself if anyone wants to read what you type, especially if you're not asked...
Dj K.Smith 4:37 PM - 4 March, 2010
Quote:
after reading this thread I'm feeling like selling my mackies and buying the qsc k12. Bit expensive compared to the price ev has and mackie srm 450v2 right now tho ;o

I most likely will do that man.... These 8's are cool so the K12's gotta rock even harder... Plus my Mackie's are about 5-6 years old but still hitting "hard, so hard" (no Rihanna)as well...
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:38 PM - 4 March, 2010
ive heard either the 8s or 10s are better than the 12s
Dj K.Smith 4:41 PM - 4 March, 2010
Quote:

And this quote was simply asking to name the speaker and the price you got them for... WOW!!!!
StevenWayne 4:45 PM - 4 March, 2010
smizzle, thanks for the hook up last week, i really appreciate it man!
DJ Dub Cowboy 5:15 PM - 4 March, 2010
Quote:
ive heard either the 8s or 10s are better than the 12s

Well, I have 8s and 10s and I like the 8s better. I've heard from someone who has 10s and 12s that he likes the 10s better.

The 10s and 12s do have a slightly different shape that lends itself better to being a stage monitor for axe grinders and lead screamers, but other than that I think the 8s are the clear winner here. The K8s are the new 450s, you heard it here.

Once I get my head around the size, I can accept that there is exceptional sound coming out of the speaker. I've always been amazed at the amount of sound that sound out of the smaller KV2 EX series, this is the same type of thing. Technology has advanced and speakers have gotten smaller and lighter, it's just the way it is.
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:26 PM - 4 March, 2010
its taken me a while to grasp that too, i was in GC the other day and they had a speaker beatin down HARD i asked the guy which speaker it was (DJ area is in a room next to the speaker area) and started to walk to the speaker wall and he was like nah its that on, i looked up and they had this tiny 8' up in the corner of the dj section straight THUMPIN
Dj K.Smith 6:08 PM - 4 March, 2010
Quote:
smizzle, thanks for the hook up last week, i really appreciate it man!

Yep, glad everything worked out for you Wayne...
Dj K.Smith 6:12 PM - 4 March, 2010
Quote:
Well, I have 8s and 10s and I like the 8s better. I've heard from someone who has 10s and 12s that he likes the 10s better.

The 10s and 12s do have a slightly different shape that lends itself better to being a stage monitor for axe grinders and lead screamers, but other than that I think the 8s are the clear winner here. The K8s are the new 450s, you heard it here.

So the 10's are better than the 12's? Hmmmm... Now that I have the 8's, I'm looking into getting the bigger speakers for those stand alone gigs (no subs needed)...

So Dub, are the 10's the better choice for that environment than the 12's?

What if you can get the 12's for the same price as the 10's?

Please share, lol...

Which way would you go then?
djticonyc 9:41 PM - 4 March, 2010
dub answer my pm lol -_-
DJ Dub Cowboy 2:51 AM - 5 March, 2010
I got the 10s to run over my Ksub and 8s as monitors. One of my 10 woofers went down and I sent it in under warranty. So I switched it up and used my K8s as mains and the one k10 as my monitor. I preferred this set-up. I had the bass maximized from the ksub and the k8 were screaming. I didn't see the point of getting a bigger top just to cut the bass out with a crossover. I decided from here on out I would just buy more K8s and nothing bigger unless its a 3-way.

djticonyc, sorry. I'll get at ya soon, been moving my office around. I'm buried in CD books and 10 years of flyers.
djticonyc 3:07 AM - 5 March, 2010
hehe iight
Maskrider 12:43 AM - 6 March, 2010
So where can we find this K8 cheap if you buy a pair?
damehype 8:25 AM - 6 March, 2010
I just copped two K10s for $539 each shipped from AMS. They are scratch and dent but from my experience everytime I've ordered scratch & dent from them they are in really great condition. Plus they have full MFR's warranty. Gonna pair them with two JBL PRX718s subs.
a DJ 5:49 PM - 7 March, 2010
How do these EV and QSC 8inch speakers compare to the Mackie SRM450 when you're not using a sub?
djticonyc 6:34 PM - 7 March, 2010
^^ someone answer the mans question
DJ Dub Cowboy 6:39 PM - 7 March, 2010
I replaced my monitors which were 450s with K8s and there is much improvement.

Quote:

The K8s are the new 450s, you heard it here.

IMO, the K8s are much better than the 450s.
djticonyc 6:40 PM - 7 March, 2010
would you say the k8 are louder and have more bass even tho they are 8"?
DJ Dub Cowboy 6:45 PM - 7 March, 2010
I would say they keep up on volume while being much more clear sounding. Once I had some K10s I started to not be able to stand the sound quality of the mackie, so it had to go. It also helped that 2 K8s are the size and weight of 1 450.

In deep mode, the bass is comparable.
Dj K.Smith 9:43 PM - 7 March, 2010
When I had the EV it was loud but not really deep and sounded as if it couldn't handle "louder" volumes... The K8's are loud, sharp and deep with the flick of a switch... Very nice speakers... Mike Basic talked me into getting them, LOL...
a DJ 6:42 AM - 8 March, 2010
I know he said they are the new 450s but I was wondering if a 8" can really compare to a 15" when there's no sub. (no misquote you assholes) I mean they better be cuz they are more expensive. I guess I should compare them at Guitar Center (oh great another trip there haha).
a DJ 6:42 AM - 8 March, 2010
I would rather get the 8" they're so much lighter and smaller.
a DJ 6:43 AM - 8 March, 2010
^ no misquote again lol
StevenWayne 7:08 AM - 8 March, 2010
smizzle, can you confirm with us, since you own the k8's now, and i know you have the mackie 450's.....would you say the k8's sound as loud and better than the 450's?? i'm finding that hard to believe. i could be wrong, but dont think 8in. speakers could cover as much bottom end as a 12in.
Dj K.Smith 4:57 PM - 8 March, 2010
Quote:
smizzle, can you confirm with us, since you own the k8's now, and i know you have the mackie 450's.....would you say the k8's sound as loud and better than the 450's?? i'm finding that hard to believe. i could be wrong, but dont think 8in. speakers could cover as much bottom end as a 12in.

They are right there Wayne... Low's are just a flick of a switch away... Nice volume and no distortion when cranked up louder... I will be selling my 450's in the near future and getting the K10's or K 12's...
StevenWayne 5:24 PM - 8 March, 2010
ok cool, good to know, might need to look into those k8's then. let me know when you plan on gigging with those, i wanna cruise by and hear them....without a sub. the problem i'm having is, i use EV sxa100's, small lightweight 12in powered speakers. they sound awesome and do the job, but lack a little volume, not as much output as the mackie 450's, but much cleaner sound. volume is important for me, i could always tweak the eq's to compromise on the sound. i'm just curious how loud those k8's can go. them being 20lbs is very appealing to me
Dj K.Smith 6:19 PM - 8 March, 2010
Quote:
ok cool, good to know, might need to look into those k8's then. let me know when you plan on gigging with those, i wanna cruise by and hear them....without a sub. the problem i'm having is, i use EV sxa100's, small lightweight 12in powered speakers. they sound awesome and do the job, but lack a little volume, not as much output as the mackie 450's, but much cleaner sound. volume is important for me, i could always tweak the eq's to compromise on the sound. i'm just curious how loud those k8's can go. them being 20lbs is very appealing to me

I got a party for Pyro's mom on the 21st... Should be in your neck of the woods... Cruise by that to peep them out...
StevenWayne 6:22 PM - 8 March, 2010
sounds like a plan, we'll talk. thanks man
Maskrider 8:14 PM - 8 March, 2010
The more I read here the more I'm tempted to get those K8.......lol
Dj K.Smith 8:49 PM - 8 March, 2010
Quote:
The more I read here the more I'm tempted to get those K8.......lol

Might as well dude... I'm sold (as you already know)... They do hit hard and are cool in terms of size and weight...
djrayray0981 9:54 PM - 10 March, 2010
they where just B.Sing me or not, but they tried to give me a hard time when I decided just to get the two K8’s without there warranty. They wanted to charge me $100 bucks more or something. Said now they have to charge for tax if I didn’t get the warranty. Told them I would just take my business elsewhere. Dude called the mgr and he said alright. So looking forward to testing these out on Friday at the bar. Will also have my JBL G2 as a monitor. It gives good bass if I needed.
djrayray0981 9:55 PM - 10 March, 2010
Because of you K-Smith. I picked up a pair. LOL I didn't get as much of a better deal then you, but got them both for $1,150 at GC in Covina. I was also going to get the K-sub along with their extra warranty for $2,400. But I decided at the last min when I got their, just to get the two K8's and take out there warranty. I was tempted to get there 2 year warranty with it, because they said QSC will not cover blown speakers or certin defects, but If I was to get their warranty, they will cover everything. Not sure if they where just B.Sing me or not, but they tried to give me a hard time when I decided just to get the two K8’s without there warranty. They wanted to charge me $100 bucks more or something. Said now they have to charge for tax if I didn’t get the warranty. Told them I would just take my business elsewhere. Dude called the mgr and he said alright. So looking forward to testing these out on Friday at the bar. Will also have my JBL G2 as a monitor. It gives good bass if I needed.
Dj K.Smith 10:04 PM - 10 March, 2010
Quote:
Because of you K-Smith. I picked up a pair. LOL I didn't get as much of a better deal then you, but got them both for $1,150 at GC in Covina.

Hahahahaha. You shoulda called me dude. I know like 2 of the managers over there. Don't trip the warranty, remember these speakers have a 6 year warranty, just register them online dude...

Believe me they do bump. I used them once already and had no complaints or problems. I actually hadthe volume on 2 and they were hitting hard, lol...
djrayray0981 11:14 PM - 10 March, 2010
Good to know man. I will definitely hit you up next time. Just concern if the 6 year warranty, will cover blown speakers?. I already had my JBL's blown on me twice, and it happen to be the one I didn't have under warranty. Need to check online what exactly the warranty will cover. Have you looked into bags yet? If you have any connects, hit me up. Looking to buy now. Don't want to do what I did with my JBL's and not get the bags. Their all scratch up and looked worn. Want to keep these bad boys in top notch shape.
DJ Dub Cowboy 11:20 PM - 10 March, 2010
I just had my K10 repaired under warranty and it was for a blown speaker. They replaced both the woofer and tweeter at no cost. Save your boxes.
DJ Dub Cowboy 11:20 PM - 10 March, 2010
that is QSC warranty. top notch
Dj K.Smith 11:37 PM - 10 March, 2010
Quote:
Have you looked into bags yet? If you have any connects, hit me up. Looking to buy now.

Sure do... You know Odyssey is in Covina right? That's my hook up. I got a bag last week that holds both of my k8's for cheap kid...
djrayray0981 11:47 PM - 10 March, 2010
Quote:
I just had my K10 repaired under warranty and it was for a blown speaker. They replaced both the woofer and tweeter at no cost. Save your boxes.

Peace of mind just kicked in. But now I'm pissed that they tried to B.S me about how they won't cover anything but small defects.
Quote:

Sure do... You know Odyssey is in Covina right? That's my hook up. I got a bag last week that holds both of my k8's for cheap kid...

Naw, didn't know that. Do I just say Smizzle sent me? And fork over $50 bucks. But on the real, how much I'm I looking at? and where are the located? Would like to go tonight and pick them up.
DJ Dub Cowboy 12:34 AM - 11 March, 2010
i have the Qsc totes and they are high quality.
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:53 PM - 11 March, 2010
QSC has an awsome warrinty system, thats what put me on the QSC bandwagon
DJJorel 9:18 PM - 11 March, 2010
Quote:
i have the Qsc totes and they are high quality.

Is there a pocket on the totes to store cables?
damehype 12:24 AM - 12 March, 2010
Yes ^^^
DJ Dub Cowboy 12:26 AM - 12 March, 2010
Djaward 11:42 PM - 15 March, 2010
Mr. KSMITH. Im in the market for some speakers (no bass bottom). I currently own the 450's and one juest blew out this past weekend. Ive had these for over 7 years and this is my first problem with theme. Do you think the k8's would hit hard without a bass bottom? Ive seen a lot of people reply with "BUT YOU NEED A BASS BOTTOM". I dont have space for a bass bottom.
Dj K.Smith 11:53 PM - 15 March, 2010
Djaward,

Yes they will dude, rest assured... You will not go wrong with them dude...

My name is Dj K. Smith and I endorse this message, LOL...
Maskrider 12:15 AM - 16 March, 2010
The New Spokesperson for QSC....lol
DJ Dub Cowboy 12:41 AM - 16 March, 2010
My name is DJ Dub Cowboy and I endorse K. Smiths endorsement.

twitpic.com

This K8 had enough bass running through it to vibrate itself of off a six foot shelf. It was on it's side which I was I do not recommend placing your K8 on it's side without securing it in place. In fact that is the only reason why I would recommend a K10 or a K12 over a K8. The shape of the K10/12 lends itself better to being a floor monitor because it has a wedge shade. Also the sound dispersion of the bigger models is more focused than the K8. For that reason, I think the K8s make better mains and the bigger ones make better monitors.

I really had to get over the size=volume equation with these.

However if I bought my system all over again (2K8s, 2K10s, 2ksubs) I would buy 4 K8s and 2-4 Ksubs. The Ksubs really sound good when they are side by side in pairs, but I usually put one on each side with a K10 on top of the screw on pole for a clean look.
DJ Dub Cowboy 12:44 AM - 16 March, 2010
oh and K8 bounced of the back of my Ksub and landed on the floor face down. The other K8 that was attached to it via XLR kept rocking even though the power cord came out (the cord lock mechanism broke too.) I plugged it back in and it fired right back up and kept rocking. I'll pull it down soon and give it a good inspection, but I was amazed that it fired back up.
Dj K.Smith 5:31 AM - 16 March, 2010
Quote:
The New Spokesperson for QSC....lol

Hahahah Right.... Somebody hook a brotha UP!!!!!!!
Dj K.Smith 5:51 AM - 16 March, 2010
Quote:

However if I bought my system all over again (2K8s, 2K10s, 2ksubs) I would buy 4 K8s

Really? Why is that dude? I thought getting the K10's or 12's would sound even better...
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:00 PM - 16 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

However if I bought my system all over again (2K8s, 2K10s, 2ksubs) I would buy 4 K8s

Really? Why is that dude? I thought getting the K10's or 12's would sound even better...

im still trying to wrap my mind around the concept
DJ Dub Cowboy 3:31 PM - 16 March, 2010
same amp, same tweeter, just a bigger box and a bigger speaker. Not a whole lot to make it sound better, the 10s and 12s just have the ability to go to a lower sub frequency (but only slightly) and a narrower dispersion of sound. Thats the only difference. To be louder it would have to have more power.

I think the K8 is the winner because its a tight little box. Designed to be a powerhouse. If you are using a subwoofer at all, the extra bass from the bigger Kseries is not even necessary if it is at all noticeable.

Believe me, I only came to this conclusion by using them. When they were first announced I though I would never have any interest in the K8s, just the 12s and subs. I was wrong.

Also if I put one K8 and one K10 on right and left XLRs out of my mixer and send them the same signal and set the gain on the speaker the same. The K8 has more headroom in DEEP mode than the K10 in NORMAL or EXT SUB mode. Therefore the K8 ends up sounding like it has more bass.

The only thing left to do is try it for yourself.
AMF 3:46 PM - 16 March, 2010
Quote:
same amp, same tweeter, just a bigger box and a bigger speaker. Not a whole lot to make it sound better, the 10s and 12s just have the ability to go to a lower sub frequency (but only slightly) and a narrower dispersion of sound. Thats the only difference. To be louder it would have to have more power.

I think the K8 is the winner because its a tight little box. Designed to be a powerhouse. If you are using a subwoofer at all, the extra bass from the bigger Kseries is not even necessary if it is at all noticeable.

Believe me, I only came to this conclusion by using them. When they were first announced I though I would never have any interest in the K8s, just the 12s and subs. I was wrong.

Also if I put one K8 and one K10 on right and left XLRs out of my mixer and send them the same signal and set the gain on the speaker the same. The K8 has more headroom in DEEP mode than the K10 in NORMAL or EXT SUB mode. Therefore the K8 ends up sounding like it has more bass.

DJ Dub Cowboy, I'm sure what you are saying is 100%.... as I have never compared the K8s to the K10/12s.....

But why am I having the hardest time believing this?
damehype 3:56 PM - 16 March, 2010
To me the K10s were the perfect compromise of the 3. It hit the sweet spot. Plus, the Dent & Scratch deal I got on them for $539 ea shipped didn't hurt either. I got full 6 yr warranty and a $320 savings.
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:56 PM - 16 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

DJ Dub Cowboy, I'm sure what you are saying is 100%.... as I have never compared the K8s to the K10/12s.....

i believe him but its hard to comprehend since my home moniters are 8's too lol
Djaward 4:08 PM - 16 March, 2010
Quote:
Djaward,

Yes they will dude, rest assured... You will not go wrong with them dude...

My name is Dj K. Smith and I endorse this message, LOL...

Thanks for the response. So I went to a guitar center yesterday and checked out the K series speakers. After further review, The k12 is the model for me. The k8 was good in size but it started distorting while california love (thats what they were playing). Then the dude turned on the K12 and I was amazed. I saw some bass bottoms aswell, but have no space for them so those are out. The guy that was showing me the speakers was a manager. He said he can get me K12 for 800 flat out the door. 850 with warranty. IS THIS A GOOD PRICE?

Quote:
Quote:

Read my post above this quote.. The k8 that I was testing out was on a bass bottom but the bottom wasnt turned on. The K12 was on a shelf and it was kicking. Not sure how high the volume was on the K12 but dude was pushing it on his master mixer. Dont get me wrong though, the K8 does bump but not good enough for party. Its good for a monitor (i think). I want to thank K-Smith for giving me his feedback and info on QSC.... MACKIE WHO??????
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:11 PM - 16 March, 2010
was the K8 you tested switched to deep mode?
latindj 4:14 PM - 16 March, 2010
Quote:
was the girl you tested switched to deep mode?

whoah! around here we call that vivid mode...
Djaward 4:17 PM - 16 March, 2010
Quote:

To be honest I didnt check the settings.. He was messing with a switch that had EXT SUB, NORM and DEEP and another switch that had a vocal boost thing. Im going back today. What should I look for?
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:24 PM - 16 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

To be honest I didnt check the settings.. He was messing with a switch that had EXT SUB, NORM and DEEP and another switch that had a vocal boost thing. Im going back today. What should I look for?

Im not the QSC sponsored expert of the thread but i think Deep mode would be the mode you want to test if your not going to be using a sub with it, sub means you have a sub hooked to it so it dosent focus on bass and norm is ell norm lol....make sure they dont dick you into buying something more expensive than you want by turning off the extra bass mode and then turning on the more expensive one and going see more bass here
AMF 4:58 PM - 16 March, 2010
I'm pretty sure sure in EXT SUB mode there's probably a bass cutoff somewhere around 100/120hz.

But even if the K8s were in deep mode.... I still can't get it thru my thick head that they sound THAT good. Even if I go to the Guitar Center and compare them (K8 and K10) and they do sound pretty close, I'd probably still get the K10s because my brain just can't comprehend an 8 inch woofer sounding THAT good. Even if I heard it, I still wouldn't believe it.
Dj K.Smith 7:50 PM - 16 March, 2010
Quote:
He said he can get me K12 for 800 flat out the door. 850 with warranty. IS THIS A GOOD PRICE?

$800 is cool... No need for a warranty when QSC is giving you a free 6 year one... Shop around and have them price match...
Djaward 8:11 PM - 16 March, 2010
^^ I would deal with guitar center because I have a $1700 credit line with them. So I'll see what I can do.
latindj 8:34 PM - 16 March, 2010
oh damn! buy me another ttm57sl while you're at it Bill Gates...lol!
Dj K.Smith 8:36 PM - 16 March, 2010
Ok so as you know, I said I was gonna sell my Mackie's and get 2 more QSC's. Is the general consensus to get:

(2) K8's _____

(2) K10's _____

(2) K12's _____

Please mark your answer and brief response why...

My name is Dj K. Smith and I endorse this poll... LOL
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:38 PM - 16 March, 2010
Quote:
Ok so as you know, I said I was gonna sell my Mackie's and get 2 more QSC's. Is the general consensus to get:

(2) K8's _____

(2) K10's __X___......seems like the overall best deal, if they all have the same tweets and amps or whatever this should give the best bass kick for the price without a sub, if everyone is saying the 8s are perfect id bump 1 up and grab this

(2) K12's _____

Djaward 9:27 PM - 16 March, 2010
Quote:

(2) K8's _____

(2) K10's _____

(2) K12's __X___ I feel these badboys have a better bass than the other 2. And if I walk into a gig with the 8's, I'll get laughed at and probably get kicked out. Them joints are small. I will consider the K10's though..

Dj K.Smith 9:37 PM - 16 March, 2010
POLL RESULTS

K8's - 0

K10's - 1

K12's - 1
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:38 PM - 16 March, 2010
Quote:
POLL RESULTS

K8's - 0

K10's - 1

K12's - 1

knowing what i know about this forum that probably means you should go with the K8 lol
latindj 9:45 PM - 16 March, 2010
jbl's all day long!
DJ Dub Cowboy 9:50 PM - 16 March, 2010
Quote:

(2) K8's __X___

(2) K10's _____

(2) K12's _____

I think I've stated my case.

I can see that the size of the speaker can make an impression on a venue or customers. The old mentality is that bigger is better. However, I had one bar owner comment on my QSCs in relation to one of the other DJs sound systems. He came up to me while I was setting up and noted that my system sounded as good as other dude's Cerwin Vega/Peavy system that forms a virtual wall and takes 3 time as long to set-up. Sure his looks impressive but at the end of the day we both sound good and I look impressive setting up and breaking down my full system in 30-40 minutes.

I just don't see the point of getting a bigger speaker because it has more bass only to add a high-pass filter anyway.

I do see the point of having a 12" speaker so that people don't point and laugh at how small your junk is. I'm married though, so I'm pretty secure in that regard.
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:51 PM - 16 March, 2010
QSC K10 Loud Speaker

The QSC K Series is quite simply The New Standard in lightweight powered loudspeaker systems. Under the direction of Pat Quilter, QSC's team of amplifier engineers have created a new standard in Class D power modules unparalleled in the industry. Next, breaking from the traditional loudspeaker paradigm, every model is fitted with the identical 1.75" HF device (fullrange models) and woofers of the same high quality for unparalleled performance, regardless of speaker size.
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:52 PM - 16 March, 2010
Quote:
I just don't see the point of getting a bigger speaker because it has more bass only to add a high-pass filter anyway.

but it would make sense if you were not adding a sub right?
DJ Dub Cowboy 9:55 PM - 16 March, 2010
depends on if you need a small system or not.

If all you were going to ever have is 2 tops, by all means squeeze all the bass you can from these, buy the K12, run it in DEEP mode and crank it to 11 for 6 years straight.

If you want versatility and will eventually add a sub, I think the K8 is a better buy.
Dj K.Smith 9:56 PM - 16 March, 2010
Quote:
POLL RESULTS

K8's - 1

K10's - 1

K12's - 1

Right?
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:57 PM - 16 March, 2010
Quote:

If all you were going to ever have is 2 tops, by all means squeeze all the bass you can from these, buy the K12, run it in DEEP mode and crank it to 11 for 6 years straight.

If you want versatility and will eventually add a sub, I think the K8 is a better buy.

that sounds about right then
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:57 PM - 16 March, 2010
ksmith are you going to be running subs
Dj K.Smith 10:07 PM - 16 March, 2010
Quote:
K. Smith are you going to be running subs

The K8's are for when I do small gigs and now for the wedding spot I just landed. They will accompany my VCI and run the ceremony. For now, the 450's will handle the reception. WhenI have a huge crowd, I have (2) Yorkville NX200 subs that I use that do well for me with what I'll use as tops the K8's...
Djaward 10:35 PM - 16 March, 2010
Quote:

Bro, this statement right here is what I was looking for. I dont want a bass bottom just the 2 speakers. Thats why I think the K8 are small for what I need them for. I want more bass out of the speakers. Thats why I want to go with the K12. And If I thought I would buy a sub in the near future (not right now because they're about a grand each) then I would most def get the K8s.. They would be perfect.. I LOVE THIS THREAD..
Djaward 10:41 PM - 16 March, 2010
QUESTION K-SMITH or DJ DUB

If I do get 2 K8's do I need to get a sub for each? If the answer is no, How far apart can they be to get a good sound? Now y'all got me thinking.. 2500 (or less) can get me 2 K8 and a sub.
Dj K.Smith 11:06 PM - 16 March, 2010
Quote:
QUESTION K-SMITH or DJ DUB

If I do get 2 K8's do I need to get a sub for each? If the answer is no, How far apart can they be to get a good sound? Now y'all got me thinking.. 2500 (or less) can get me 2 K8 and a sub.

I would get a sub for each because you won't always have an event where you can have the sub right next to you. I think it's better ti have options available to you in terms of your sound. I can have a top & bottom near or far from me with my setup... I like being able to cover the room that way...
Serato
Sean.C 11:14 PM - 16 March, 2010
K8s

a wee story for yahs

i told Sam (Serato GM) about the K8's and he was like "8 inch, your joking right?"....he took some convincing....

anyway a coupla weeks laster his mate bought a pair on my say so, without even hearing them (trustworthy aye?!)...a few hours later i received a text from Sam saying "they are the business....awesome".

seriously, they are killer....if u need sub, get a sub to go with em. Set the sub up close to a wall and u get 3dB of extra volume for nothing, stick it close to a corner and you get an extra 6dB (twice as much for free, basically)....

s
Dj K.Smith 11:24 PM - 16 March, 2010
Quote:
POLL RESULTS

K8's - 2

K10's - 1

K12's - 1

Updated...
DJ Dub Cowboy 11:24 PM - 16 March, 2010
you can use just one ksub.

The ksubs come with a pole that screws onto it.

At first I only had one sub and 2 k10s and I would just out the Ksub with a K10 on it on one side and the other K10 on a stand on the other side.

Now I have a ksub with k10 mounted on it on either side and right next to it 2 stands for the K8s but they are pointed at me.
At other times I place both subs together on one side and use 2 pole stands on the other side with out the sub.

mix and match.
DJ Dub Cowboy 11:26 PM - 16 March, 2010
Quote:

At other times I place both subs together on one side and use 2 pole stands on the other side with out the sub.

this was so that the subs were in the corner of the room, and it works
Dj K.Smith 11:28 PM - 16 March, 2010
Dub when you use your sub, what do you have ur K8 on? Flat or vocal?
Mike_P 11:40 PM - 16 March, 2010
i havent heard the k series in person...but from what dub cowboy has posted the k8 is the more EFFICIENT box hence the better sounding. the same as a 12" woofer sounds better than a 15 or 18 in a folded horn box.
DJ Dub Cowboy 1:11 AM - 17 March, 2010
Quote:
Dub when you use your sub, what do you have ur K8 on? Flat or vocal?

flat always

vocal is for is you have a mic hooked straight into the back as PA or you are just sending the vocal monitor mix from a mixing board.

I leave my K8s in DEEP to always. When I send from the booth output on my 57 I have to crank it all the way with my tracks tickling the reds to get the 8s to red light. As opposed to the 10s which red light much quicker, even in NORMAL or EXT SUB. Just this last week I tried running the 10s in NORMAL to get a little more bottom but normally I have to keep them in EXT SUB. Which is is like why I am "why the F did I pay more for these again"

Quote:
i havent heard the k series in person...but from what dub cowboy has posted the k8 is the more EFFICIENT box hence the better sounding. the same as a 12" woofer sounds better than a 15 or 18 in a folded horn box.

and to Mike_P this is exactly what I am thinking. I got sold on 12"s when I bought my first set of subs which are EAW LA400s. I was set on some Earthquakes Cerwin Vega L-36s when the good folks at JK Sound did a side by side with me. I was sold. The 12 kicks harder and in the right box it can sound better than an 18"
StevenWayne 2:44 AM - 17 March, 2010
smizzle, i'm gonna cruise by your gig and check out these k8's in a real life gig. right now, i'm using the EV sxa100's. great speakers, pretty compact and light, but i'm really curious about these 8's.

dub or ksmith...you're opinions. alot of my private events are house party sized gigs, usually backyard house party types. would you say these k8's will do a good enough job? i currently have a 15in mackie powered sub, but i only take that out when i dj in banquet rooms and stuff. i would love to use these k8's for all my mobiles.
Dj K.Smith 4:32 AM - 17 March, 2010
Quote:

dub or ksmith...you're opinions. alot of my private events are house party sized gigs, usually backyard house party types. would you say these k8's will do a good enough job?

Absolutely dude... My Sunday gig is in San Bernardino (for Pyro's Mom's friend)... Hit me up Sunday early afternoon. It's from 5-9p...
DJ Dub Cowboy 4:32 AM - 17 March, 2010
I'd say so. They sound fucking amazing.
Dj K.Smith 4:33 AM - 17 March, 2010
Quote:

Yes you have Mike P... That was the sound at Basic's house dude... At the jammy jam...
ninos 5:09 AM - 17 March, 2010
fuck u guys. after reading this thread i want to get some k8's.. LOLOL.
Maskrider 6:43 AM - 17 March, 2010
People find ways how to get our hard earned money.....lol
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:35 PM - 17 March, 2010
Quote:
fuck u guys. after reading this thread i want to get some k8's.. LOLOL.

i was driving to work this morning starring at my door speakers like 8" speakers arent much bigger than that.....how.......must ........grasp ..........concept.......(no misquote)
a DJ 1:45 AM - 18 March, 2010
lol I'm still stuck on this too, I'm about to drop by Guitar Center to check it out soon
tehBEN 2:26 AM - 18 March, 2010
8 qsc k8s
2 jbl srx 728s

and you got yourself a small concert rig =P
ninos 2:26 AM - 18 March, 2010
what i would do for that setup......^
DJ Michael Basic 2:51 AM - 18 March, 2010
I got the 8s and love them...didn't compare to the 10 or 12 tho.
ninos 3:00 AM - 18 March, 2010
what you mean didnt compare?
DJ Michael Basic 3:04 AM - 18 March, 2010
I didn't compare them, I just bought the 8s.
DJ Michael Basic 3:05 AM - 18 March, 2010
My guitar center guy sold me on the 8s...he said if I didn't like em I could return them for the 10s or 12s...but he's the homie and I trusted his judgement.
ral 1:41 PM - 18 March, 2010
i used to have the 450s.

grabbed the qsc 12s. might be getting some more 8s soon.

MB, are you still using your bose, or is it replaced by 8s?
Dj K.Smith 3:24 PM - 18 March, 2010
ral what up dude... Big up bruddah... What's poppin' on that ska, roots tip?
a DJ 4:05 AM - 22 March, 2010
I compared the K8s to the Mackies at Guitar Center today and it seems like without a sub the Mackies are louder and have stronger bass? (Yes I did turn the "Deep" mode on, without it there was no contest) The K8s do sound a lot better though.

I was at this party Friday where we had 8" speakers and it was slappin, but I think there was a sub too. I know the people who threw the party so I could ask.
Dj K.Smith 5:39 AM - 22 March, 2010
Used these 8's tonight and last night. Last night was with a sub and it sounded nice... Definitely crisp sound with the "boom boom" of the deep bass. Tonight was without the sub and they held their own... Nice investment so far...
DJ GaFFle 3:14 PM - 22 March, 2010
You guys have a recipe for disaster doing gigs with 8" speakers and no sub. You could find yourself a 'jugga-jugga' kickdrum scratch away for a blown driver.

K. Smith had an original specific purpose of ceremonies and backyards for his K8's and they are probably the perfect choice for those needs. I think quality 8" pro-audio speakers are great solo if you're DJ'ing a house party/small venue with a relatively small amount (20-30) of people, playing acoustics or where high-volume is not required but you owe it to your paying customers to provide a quality 'full spectrum' sound (ie. with a sub). This helps to further separate you from what they would have gotten with their home stereo and an iPod player.

If you've got good sized crowd or a large venue... bring a sub, not the 'deep-mode switch'. Doesn't have to be the most expensive/heavy sub out there... just something allowing you to high-pass your tops and let the lows be handled by the speakers that were built for bass.

I'm just giving my $.02 of opinion to help the folks starting out. No more rockin' gymnasiums with 8" near-field monitors...
DJ GaFFle 3:16 PM - 22 March, 2010
... I'm just getting the feeling that people are thinking these K8's are uber-speakers and can do it all.
AMF 3:34 PM - 22 March, 2010
Quote:
... I'm just getting the feeling that people are thinking these K8's are uber-speakers and can do it all.

+1

You need the K10 to "do it all". lol <jk>
DJ GaFFle 3:34 PM - 22 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

+1

You need the K10 to "do it all". lol <jk>

LoL!
Dj K.Smith 3:58 PM - 22 March, 2010
Gaffle is on point as usual. But I do want some K10's for the bigger events (to replace the 450's)...
JDforKing 5:32 PM - 22 March, 2010
i agree with gaffle finally someone talking some sense into people. Ive always been told dont get caught up in the hype. Not saying the k8's arent excellent speakers, i just believe that they have limitations.
Dj K.Smith 5:56 PM - 22 March, 2010
Quote:
i agree with gaffle finally someone talking some sense into people. Ive always been told dont get caught up in the hype. Not saying the k8's arent excellent speakers, i just believe that they have limitations.

No doubt... And you don't want to get them and kill 'em trying to push them to extremes...
DJ Dub Cowboy 6:07 PM - 22 March, 2010
I totally agree Gaffle. These are great speakers, IMO better than the Mackie 450s that served me for 8 years. However, these are not miracle speakers they are just good for what they are.

Quote:
I compared the K8s to the Mackies at Guitar Center today and it seems like without a sub the Mackies are louder and have stronger bass? (Yes I did turn the "Deep" mode on, without it there was no contest) The K8s do sound a lot better though.

I was at this party Friday where we had 8" speakers and it was slappin, but I think there was a sub too. I know the people who threw the party so I could ask.

The first time I compared the K10 side by side with the Mackie 450 I agree that the mackie was louder and had more bass at the cost of being less clear. However, I have since learned that the QSCs can run with their gains a lot higher than the Mackie. When I did my test I had both speakers set at 12 0 clock. If I had turned my Mackie up to 2 or 3 o clock where I run my QSCs, that Mackie would have clipped and overheated all while sounding even more like poo.

on a side note, I've been playing on one of those new Mackie TH18s subs that run for $700 and it bangs. Not the highest quality but a good starter sub, maybe even a good match for 2 K8s.
DJ GaFFle 6:12 PM - 22 March, 2010
Quote:
...on a side note, I've been playing on one of those new Mackie TH18s subs that run for $700 and it bangs. Not the highest quality but a good starter sub, maybe even a good match for 2 K8s.

... and the Mackie TH15 (aka Tapco Thump) is probably the best bargain/bang-4D-buck speaker made. I've personally swayed 3 local female DJs to them and they cover their gigs nicely w/ no sub (up to a certain people limit).
Djaward 6:18 PM - 22 March, 2010
This is what I have now.
2- Mackied SRM450 (first version).

And is getting replaced with

2- K10's and
1- Ksub to go under my table or near a wal. I dont think I need 2 subs.

Whats a fair price to sell the mackies?
DJ Dub Cowboy 6:21 PM - 22 March, 2010
yeah, we got 2 of those too and they are good...but not nearly as loud as the qscs that are next to them although less than half the price.

I'm amazed at how light they are. I just read up on Mackie/LOUD and they are trying to make a comeback, but I still get the sense that made a shift from dependable products to cheap products as their specialty.
DJ Dub Cowboy 6:22 PM - 22 March, 2010
Quote:
This is what I have now.
2- Mackied SRM450 (first version).

And is getting replaced with

2- K10's and
1- Ksub to go under my table or near a wal. I dont think I need 2 subs.

Whats a fair price to sell the mackies?

I sold my first gen (Italian) 450 on ebay for ~$350
DJ Dub Cowboy 6:23 PM - 22 March, 2010
oh and that is how I started with the QSCs...

2 K10s and 1 Ksub. Then I decided I needed the other KSUB and just added the K8s on a whim, so glad I did.
Dj K.Smith 6:26 PM - 22 March, 2010
I'm lovin' this thread. All the "sound geek" coming out in all of us, LOL....
DJ Dub Cowboy 6:31 PM - 22 March, 2010
totally..

I ready to get a decibel meter/spectrum analyzer and do some real testing...
Djaward 7:08 PM - 22 March, 2010
Thought about it for a bit. What if I just bought the KSUB and connect it to my @ mackies.. How do you guys think this will sound?
DJ.AJ 7:14 PM - 22 March, 2010
B-52 600 is a great system with bass like what u would expect from a sub and not to heavy. $700-900

ev sb122 is also good but pricey sub is 400 ,Sats are 300 but u need an amp as well.

I also have the Rokit K8's but scared to move them from the dining room/studio as they have NO FRONT GRILL. but the pair can be had for about 300-400
JDforKing 7:18 PM - 22 March, 2010
Quote:
Thought about it for a bit. What if I just bought the KSUB and connect it to my @ mackies.. How do you guys think this will sound?

I did that and if sounds great. No complaints
JDforKing 7:19 PM - 22 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

I did that and (it not if lol) sounds great. No complaints
DJ.AJ 7:19 PM - 22 March, 2010
if you talking about bigger speakers than, i'd recommond B-52 1000. I played at Reidsville Lake on saturday with 2 pairs of that system and u could hear me all over the park. Cyrstal Clear and to prove my how clear it was i let it warm up with some classical tunes (yes i mean classical music)
JDforKing 7:25 PM - 22 March, 2010
My thing is you really can't compare the pioneer of great sounding powered speaker (mackie srm 450 v1) to new speakers using new technology. That is comparing apples and oranges, obviously the k series has benefitted from the advances that the eons, srms, etc made in the past. The mackies have there flaws but in their day they were the best thing around, and now with debate.... the k series seems as if they're the new sheriff in town....in time we will see.
DJ.AJ 7:30 PM - 22 March, 2010
The K Series is hot but they cost way to much. Rather take B-52's. buy up enough to get the same wattage and then i'll kill the QSC's. why - simply because i will move more air. PA 101
Dj K.Smith 7:46 PM - 22 March, 2010
The B-52 system is HUGE... The whole reason for the QSC's is downsizing... While it does hit, that 52 will hit your back hard f you're not in the gym Spartacus, LOL...
DJ GaFFle 7:47 PM - 22 March, 2010
LoL @ Spartacus
DJ.AJ 7:54 PM - 22 March, 2010
LoL @ Sparacus

I agree, I agree. When i bought them i didn't consider how heavy the sub would be with the 3 amps in it. So far i only had to lift it once and i got someone to help me.

all other gigs i simply rolled it in and layed it flat and the same to exit. They slide into the van. Worse experience with them was when i took my mini-van to a loading dock LMAO @myself.
Dj K.Smith 8:28 PM - 22 March, 2010
DJ.AJ 8:35 PM - 22 March, 2010
my math is a little off on the qsc comparison. fogot it has dual 12inch subs in it and not one. so 2 15's still bigger than 2 12's but oh well i screwed that up.
DJ Dub Cowboy 9:03 PM - 22 March, 2010
Quote:
The B-52 system is HUGE... The whole reason for the QSC's is downsizing... While it does hit, that 52 will hit your back hard f you're not in the gym Spartacus, LOL...

exactly why I went with the QSCs. I knew they were quality, have a 6 year warranty to back it up, and they are small and light. I had to make a decision that this was always going to be a small system. If I want a bigger system I would go with JBL SRX, KV2 EX, EAW LA, or even the QSC HPR line but these K series are not meant to compete with those and I know better than to think they will. I've learned that it's easier to rent those systems from people who know what they are doing.
djaction 11:12 PM - 22 March, 2010
dub cowboy you got a PM
DJ.AJ 11:55 PM - 22 March, 2010
cowboy if i had the money for the qsc's i would have done that also but the OP said he was on a budget. Also other companies are catching on to the "compact" sub game. Behringer has a 1000w sub due out in a month or 2 that go 499 and is way lighter than the sub that comes with the b-52. I plan on switching if they sound as good. just can see paying 2k for subs then 2k more for the sats. i need a regular gig like u big-dogs :)
DJ Dub Cowboy 12:44 AM - 23 March, 2010
I always factor how long a piece of gear lasts into the equation of how expensive it is. I do this because I have learned over and over again through experience that cheap gear is more expensive.

Take my QSC K8 for about $600.
I know that I get 6 years of top quality sound because of the warranty. I'm careful with my gear but I also have insurance.
That breaks down to about $100/year. Average of 50 working weeks in a year so
about $2/week. I do 3-4 events a week. So that speaker costs me about $0.50 a gig. The subs run about $0.88.

Now that $500 Behringer sub only has a one year warranty and will most likely break before 6 years using it the same way that would use the $1000 sub. That year costs $500 for the piece of mind of having good working gear. But at the cost of $10/week or $2.50 per gig.

I also firmly believe that having higher quality gear allows one to charge more for their services because of these reasons.

I guess that is why I use Rane mixers and Technics turntables too.
DJ.AJ 2:11 AM - 23 March, 2010
yes, i had a steady 3-4 events i would have bought something like QSC's. that was my point. having just started again. my gear is already paid for. i could sell everything and turn a profit. i like the gig breakdown you laid out. but the numbers for me would be much much higher since i only do 3-4 gigs a month.
djaction 2:50 AM - 23 March, 2010
just a heads up GC dropped the price of the K10's to $699
damehype 4:08 AM - 23 March, 2010
They've always been $699, haven't they???
djaction 4:14 AM - 23 March, 2010
woops you're right lol
StevenWayne 5:04 AM - 23 March, 2010
ksmith, sorry i missed your call! got your voicemail later in the night....i passed out in the afternoon from giggin all weekend! we'll hook up again dude
Dj K.Smith 5:41 AM - 23 March, 2010
No doubt
latindj 5:54 AM - 23 March, 2010
Quote:
ksmith, sorry i missed your call! got your voicemail later in the night....i passed out in the afternoon from giggin all weekend! we'll hook up again dude

Quote:
No doubt

No doubt? How about a big No Homo instead...?
Dj K.Smith 5:57 AM - 23 March, 2010
LOL, only Latin man, LOL...
DJ GaFFle 11:13 AM - 23 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
No doubt

No doubt? How about a big No Homo instead...?

LOL...
StevenWayne 3:11 PM - 23 March, 2010
oh boy
DJ GaFFle 5:07 PM - 2 April, 2010
I had a side-by-side comparative listen to the ZXa1 and QSC K8s.

The K8 seemed to be more crisp and airy with more clarity. The highs were a little more apparent as well. I did not try the 'deep' mode setting.
Dj K.Smith 5:58 PM - 11 February, 2011
Gaff-Doggy-Dogg, sold my mackies and picked up my K12's Thursday night bruh... I will be using them this weekend at this 21sy b-day party I'm spinning at. Hopefully this guy will move on my subs on Monday and I'll be a QSC dude all the way around...
Dj K.Smith 5:59 PM - 11 February, 2011
Then I'll look at getting the K-Sub down the road...
Dj Ace 5:46 AM - 15 February, 2011
I know this is a k8 discussion but has anyone heard the jbl srx 712m's are they good used alone without a sub?
Dj Ace 5:47 AM - 15 February, 2011
sorry if i am thread jacking
dj_soo 9:49 AM - 15 February, 2011
i fucking love my K12s. Thinking of picking up a sub or two to go with em soon... not really sold on the Ksub (that and it's a bit bigger than my vehicle permits). Was thinking of getting a 15" sub to start and maybe a 2nd one after i save up some cash...

any recommendations?
Dj K.Smith 4:04 PM - 15 February, 2011
I'm thinking of the KW181 soo... I'm not a fan of mis-matching my gear and like symmetry when it comes to that. My old speakers were Mackie SRM 450's, QSC K8's, and some Yorkville subs (relisted on ebay, LOL)...

Now I have K12's, K8's, and I think the K-sub or KW181 would make my system complete. I primarily do weddings, with the majority not requiring subs so having some "hump" for holiday parties or events for over 200 people would be my reasoning.
Dj K.Smith 5:23 PM - 15 February, 2011
A year later and this is still a relevant thread... Nice...
Djaward 7:13 PM - 15 February, 2011
Im getting sick and tired of repairing my MACKIES.. Time to upgrade to them k12... Does anyone on here own a pair of KWs???
sacrilicious 9:10 PM - 15 February, 2011
Quote:
i fucking love my K12s. Thinking of picking up a sub or two to go with em soon... not really sold on the Ksub (that and it's a bit bigger than my vehicle permits). Was thinking of getting a 15" sub to start and maybe a 2nd one after i save up some cash...

any recommendations?

+1

Most people here seem to recommend the KW181 over the KSub for a more well-rounded bottom (no misquote).
Dj K.Smith 11:30 PM - 15 February, 2011
Quote:
Most people here seem to recommend the KW181 over the KSub for a more well-rounded bottom

agiprodj has them for around $1300 (free shipping)...
The K-sub is know is $977 from them...
DJ Dub Cowboy 12:00 AM - 16 February, 2011
I'm trading in my Ksubs for KW181s as soon as I can
Dj K.Smith 12:12 AM - 16 February, 2011
I gotta wait until I gig a few more times to get those suckas. I got the dough right now but would rather wait a bit to see if more of us get them, test them out, recommend them, etc...
pdidy 4:43 AM - 16 February, 2011
Quote:

The K8 seemed to be more crisp and airy with more clarity. The highs were a little more apparent as well. I did not try the 'deep' mode setting.

It some times makes me laugh when I see what many of these guys consider acceptable speaker solutions. Its like I'm from another galaxy with my sound system requirements.....lol I would either be fired or sustain serious physical injury if i were to show up at a party for say 150 people with 2x k8s an a ksub....(wish i could though)

So how many of these lil QSC K8s do you think it will take for someone like you or me to be happy by our SPL standards ? For example, 2 EV zxa5s = ? QSC K8s or how many K8s to keep up with 2x danley th118 subs....lol
dj_soo 7:51 AM - 16 February, 2011
i think it depends on the party and what they expect. I regularly do weddings and corporates with just my 2 k12s. For the afterhours parties i throw, even a small, 100-person room, i'd be bringing at least 2 15" subs if not an 18" or 2.

I prefer to overkill when it comes to dance parties - you can always turn it down if you have too much, but you can't really turn it up if you don't have enough...
DJ GaFFle 11:50 AM - 16 February, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

It some times makes me laugh when I see what many of these guys consider acceptable speaker solutions. Its like I'm from another galaxy with my sound system requirements.....lol I would either be fired or sustain serious physical injury if i were to show up at a party for say 150 people with 2x k8s an a ksub....(wish i could though)

So how many of these lil QSC K8s do you think it will take for someone like you or me to be happy by our SPL standards ? For example, 2 EV zxa5s = ? QSC K8s or how many K8s to keep up with 2x danley th118 subs....lol

I tell you, I'd be more than happy using just a pair of K8's for an inside wedding ceremony. A wedding reception, on the other hand, would require another beast. That's where it's a must to have larger drivers and possibly a sub depending on crowd size, music and volume requirements.
Jsavino 4:22 PM - 16 February, 2011
the K8 is the best 8" powered speaker...period.
Dj Bacik 7:13 PM - 16 February, 2011
This type of decision always makes me second guess and get buyers remorse. So before making any purchases I'd like your opinions. I need a good overall system. Without breaking the bank here I want something that can handle a gymnasium of kids. I would prefer something pole mountable since not all gigs will need a dual sub 3 way speaker. So, what do you guys have in mind?
SELECT 7:34 PM - 16 February, 2011
Every room/dancefloor is different. The room could be huge, but have a small dancefloor. In that sense you could get away with a smaller sound system. Also you could have 300 guests, but only a third of them on the dancefloor at times. Now if your doing an event where its a straight party with 300 people, you gonna need the right sound system.
Dj K.Smith 9:32 PM - 16 February, 2011
Quote:
This type of decision always makes me second guess and get buyers remorse. So before making any purchases I'd like your opinions. I need a good overall system. Without breaking the bank here I want something that can handle a gymnasium of kids. I would prefer something pole mountable since not all gigs will need a dual sub 3 way speaker. So, what do you guys have in mind?

I would suggest some strong 12's on top (QSC, EV's, JBL's) and strong subs to match them below... Someone earlier said I'd rather have to turn it down because I can rather than not being able to turn it up because I can't... keep reading this thread and others and go to your local sound place by you to listen to speakers. I did just that last night with the K12 and K-sub. I own the K12's but wanted to hear the K-sub for myself. A lot of the advice given here was accurate. While it can handle a reception, it lacks the true low end "boom" to rock a party. Then that sucka started rattling as I turned up the sound making it a definitely no go for me... I really wanna hear that KW 181...
Event Pro Sound 1:49 AM - 7 April, 2016
QSC K10 or K12's. Hands down- the best sounding speakers you'll find. If you want a deep, deep, matching sub QSC KSUB. I'd check the measurements in your Yaris. QSC is short for Quilter Sound Company. You'll be very, very pleased.
Al Poulin 2:16 AM - 7 April, 2016
OK, well... this is a thread from 2011. And actually, in 2011, maybe the K10s and K12s were amongst the better sounding actives out there, but today there are many better sounding speakers at lower prices. As for the Ksub, it is OK for some applications, but is known as an overpriced and underperforming sub in general. The KW181 is much better and goes lower. The K series are still ultra reliable workhorses though, I'll give them that. They don't sound great when pushed, however.
Event Pro Sound 3:36 AM - 7 April, 2016
Still, K10's,K12's and KSubs are the best choice for a compact car. i have K12's, KW215's, KW153's and a pair of KW181's. Also have the TouchMix 16, I couldn't be happier. Nothing but compliments, constantly.
dj_soo 4:49 AM - 7 April, 2016
I wouldn't ever call the Ksub "deep" let alone using two deeps.
Event Pro Sound 1:12 PM - 7 April, 2016
Do you know of a better sounding Powered Sub that will fit in a compact car (Toyota Yaris)? If there is a better choice, I'd definitely consider it. Smaller is better in this case. I don't care about cost- I want the best, smallest sub I can find.
Hanginon 1:58 PM - 7 April, 2016
Quote:
Do you know of a better sounding Powered Sub that will fit in a compact car (Toyota Yaris)? If there is a better choice, I'd definitely consider it. Smaller is better in this case. I don't care about cost- I want the best, smallest sub I can find.

What exactly do you mean by "the best"? You can have two out of these three options - Loud, Low, Small - you can't have all three, unless you choose Loud, Low, Big.

As an example, a sub for use in a home is usually small and can go low, but will self destruct if played loud for DJ use. They chose the opposite for the KSub, Loud and Small, not Low.

What do you want?
JDforKing 3:35 PM - 7 April, 2016
Quote:

Ev ekx15sp or jbl 715xlf
pdidy 5:30 PM - 7 April, 2016
Quote:
QSC K10 or K12's. Hands down- the best sounding speakers you'll find.

If it were 2011 there might be some truth to that....lol by the way I am a K12 owner.

Quote:
If you want a deep, deep, matching sub QSC KSUB.

It's pretty much common knowledge around here that ksubs do not go deep deep.

Quote:

well get ready to pull your whole wallet out because yes I do.........
its called the kv2 EX2.2. It will virtually bitch slap a ksub and take it's lunch money....lol www.kv2audio.com
Watchwww.youtube.com
Dj K.Smith 6:42 PM - 7 April, 2016
I still use my K 12's, K 10's, KW 181's on rare occasions, and KW 153's...
Hanginon 10:51 PM - 7 April, 2016
Quote:
its called the kv2 EX2.2. It will virtually bitch slap a ksub and take it's lunch money....lol www.kv2audio.com
Watchwww.youtube.com

It should - it weighs 108 pounds!!
Rebelguy 12:19 AM - 8 April, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Watchwww.youtube.com

It should - it weighs 108 pounds!!

That's the Birch plywood and heavy bracing used in the cabinet construction. The amp panel is pretty heavy as well.
dj_soo 8:38 AM - 8 April, 2016
Quote:

I run the Yorkville NX720Ss that's around the same size, louder, goes lower, and lighter.

The newer Yorkville PS12S 12" sub is incredible for the size and weight. 65 lbs, super compact (I would say I could probably fit 4 of them in my camry along with my 10" tops).

Although I think my 15" subs sound a little more musical and has a couple more features, the 12" almost equals my subs in volume and completely surpasses it in throw. People here are sleeping on this sub, but in terms of performance to size/weight, I can't think of a single small size sub that come close to matching it. Unfortunately, it's very pricey.
dj_soo 8:40 AM - 8 April, 2016
pdidy 11:41 AM - 8 April, 2016
Quote:
People here are sleeping on this sub, but in terms of performance to size/weight, I can't think of a single small size sub that come close to matching it.

In Brooklyn,............I would get fired with that sub :)
pdidy 11:46 AM - 8 April, 2016
But that's just regional differences, I wish I could use small systems and still get full pay.
Hanginon 12:00 PM - 8 April, 2016
Quote:

That's a killer system in your Avatar - but it's not going to fit in a Toyota Yaris even if you use the drivers seat! You gotta straighten them spoiled people in Brooklyn out - a few gigs with a Fender Passport should do it!!
Simi Ranks 3:08 PM - 8 April, 2016
An RCF evox will fit in your Yaris
dj_soo 10:03 PM - 9 April, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
People here are sleeping on this sub, but in terms of performance to size/weight, I can't think of a single small size sub that come close to matching it.

Obviously it depends on your clientele and crowds.

I wouldn't show up to a large hall party or an underground rave with that kind of sub, but if people are looking for a compact rig that actually delivers on output a lower than average bass, it's probably the best option out there - especially when the competition are subs like zxa-1subs, ksubs, and dxs12s.
ral 4:17 PM - 13 April, 2016
Quote:

<span style="padding: 0; margin: 0; margin-left: 5px;">Watchsavefrom.net style="padding: 0; margin: 0; margin-left: 5px;">savefrom.net

i have the kv2 ex 2.2

+1 you can feel the bass! how low can you go (in chuck d voice lol)
Rebelguy 8:37 PM - 13 April, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

<span style="padding: 0; margin: 0; margin-left: 5px;"><a href="Watchsavefrom.net title="Watchsavefrom.net rel="nofollow" target="_blank">savefrom.net</a> style="padding: 0; margin: 0; margin-left: 5px;"><a href="savefrom.net title="savefrom.net rel="nofollow" target="_blank">savefrom.net</a>

i have the kv2 ex 2.2

+1 you can feel the bass! how low can you go (in chuck d voice lol)

I own the Ex-2.2s myself. It has a really nice punch and sounds great but it does not go that low. If you are looking for subs that can handle EDM or current Hip Hop you might want to look into an 18 inch sub like the VRX918SP. The KV2 has more output but the JBL goes lower. It just depends on your needs.
pdidy 9:01 PM - 13 April, 2016
This is predictable with any small sub. If its small and loud, it will not go low. But the perception of what LOW is, is relative to the individual.

So yes compared side by side to a vrx918sp neither sub would sound low anymore. :)
dj_soo 8:12 AM - 19 April, 2016
next time i head out to visit my sister in NYC, you best believe I'm going to convince you to let me demo your system.

No one runs the VRX system in my city, and I really want to hear them...
pdidy 8:51 AM - 19 April, 2016
No problem
Taipanic 5:58 PM - 19 April, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Take a look the JTR Growlers and Danley THMini, next level performance. Reasonably small subs, great sound.
I just picked up a second EV ZXa1 sub. Performs well for it's size, I use them for small weddings, tailgating, and in my studio at home. They won't be knocking stuff off the walls but def fills out the overall sound and adds some punch.