Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

.mp4 support

Product
ITCH
Version
Hardware
Vestax VCI-300
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
kidjay 5:00 AM - 31 January, 2010
Product: itch
Version: 1.1
Hardware: vestax-vci-300
Computer: mac
OS Version: 10.6.2
---

Am I missing something or is there not .mp4 support for the itch software? I'm running a vci-300 but it doesn't read any of my files that are .mp4's.... I just want to play the audio from these files not play the video. I create crates with videos/mp4 in them because I play videos sometimes with a Rane 57 at different locations but when I use the VCI-300 the .mp4 don't show up at all? If this is the case is there any plans to support these files? I also tried 1.5 version of the itch software... Please advise...
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 9:40 PM - 1 February, 2010
Hi kidjay.

We don't currently support MP4 files in ITCH at present.
Scratch Live has this support due to the work with the library integration with Video-SL.
kidjay 10:31 PM - 1 February, 2010
Hi Matt, thanks for the response. I just want to play the audio from these mp4 files. Is there plans to support these files in the itch software anytime soon?

Thank you for the update
CAW 12:24 AM - 2 February, 2010
According to Wikipedia, mp4 and m4v files are essentially the same, except that m4v may contain Apple's iTunes DRM. Wikipedia goes so far as to say you can simply rename (non-DRMed) m4vs as mp4s to get some players that don't accept the m4v extension to play them.

I have a couple m4v music video files (with no DRM) that when added in ITCH 1.5 show up with a video icon and the audio is playable in ITCH. (The video, of course, is not.)

Why do the m4vs work in ITCH if they're basically the same as mp4s?
kidjay 1:00 AM - 2 February, 2010
Quote:
According to Wikipedia, mp4 and m4v files are essentially the same, except that m4v may contain Apple's iTunes DRM. Wikipedia goes so far as to say you can simply rename (non-DRMed) m4vs as mp4s to get some players that don't accept the m4v extension to play them.

I have a couple m4v music video files (with no DRM) that when added in ITCH 1.5 show up with a video icon and the audio is playable in ITCH. (The video, of course, is not.)

Why do the m4vs work in ITCH if they're basically the same as mp4s?

Really, interesting! If I change those files in question they will work in itch and work as videos in ssl?
CAW 1:21 AM - 2 February, 2010
I've no idea if your mp4 files would work if renamed to m4v. You'd have to try it. But if ITCH is smart, it's ignoring the file extensions and looking at the file headers directly to determine what type of file it is.

It might be that the two m4v files I have use a video codec that ITCH is happy with, while your MP4s are using a different video codec that ITCH doesn't understand but Video-SL provides to SSL. But that's just pure speculation on my part.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 3:47 AM - 2 February, 2010
We are always looking at other file formats. However some formats require a lot of work (especially video/audio containers, these are real headaches). We want the software to be as stable as possible, so adding loads of un-reliable file types or codecs needed can cause more headaches for the bulk of users.

But we do want to offer the best balance :D