DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

CMOS!!!! (aka DJ Feffen)

DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:41 PM - 20 January, 2010
That Mix is FIYAH!!!!!!

****back to our regularly scheduled programming....****
CMOS 5:43 PM - 22 January, 2010
Yoo thanks man, that means a lot coming from you.

If anyone else wants to hear it, here ya go.

soundcloud.com
CMOS 5:44 PM - 22 January, 2010
Theres a few unknowns in the mix, if you know the names fill em in.

Tracklist

1. Unknown
2. Unknown
3. Unknown
4. Mike Delgado - Fall Down
5. Kenny Dope - Fall Down
6.Peven Everette - Heat it Up (Power Soul Mix)
7. Kim English - Treat me Right (Jon Cutler Remix)
8. Channels - Somebody New
9. Vivien Green - I like It
10. Luke Francis - The Bomb (Phil D Mix)
11. Michael Watford - Back To My Roots
12. Sergio Del Rio - Guloo (Gambafreajs VS Fedo Mix)
13. Jay Walker - THe Money Track
14. Acapulco - In The CLub (Conngaman Remix)
15. Kenny Dope - So Long
16. Unkown
17. Unkown Artist - Home Dubb
18. Unkown Artist - Soul Heaven
19. Unknown Artist - Drive on
20. Todd Terry - Camerra
DVDjHardy 5:45 PM - 22 January, 2010
Deep house? I'm in!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:04 PM - 22 January, 2010
He went IIIINNNNNNN!!!!!

Lemmie tell Dazz, Deez, and BPM, there might be a PROBLEM.....
CMOS 6:06 PM - 22 January, 2010
Hehe. Man i cant fuck with you guys yet, im still a noobie. But this one came good i think.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:13 PM - 22 January, 2010
I've been riding around with this in the van for like a WEEK....

So let me offer my professional opinion....

First your OVERALL song selection was just STELLAR.

That was overall. If I wanted to be NIT PICKY, I'd say, you experimented with what seemed to be a quick direction towards Latin/Spanish house, which was still refreshing, kept a nice groove, but just unexpected.

The ONLY issue I had was where you went into some NON Soulful track, "Everybody Get Money? - Nah bruh....lol.

But quickly recovered. OMG @ the mix going into Home -Dubb / Soul Heaven....

I swear FOR GAWD, I was doing 85 down the Turnpike JAMMIN' before I realized my azz was about to get a ticket......

I was MAD AS HELL when the CD ended...

Kudos my dude....

That was a PLEASURE....

I've got some names for you, but do what it do!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:17 PM - 22 January, 2010
I also like that fact that you did straight mixing, and REALLY DID BEATMATCHING MIXING....

I mean I know you can "Beat(Wave)Match", and I expected you to do your normal, mix for 4 bars, take the bass out of the departing track, and echo out strategy.

No sir.

You WAS RUNNIN' it. I might have to see a Video of you doing that session, so I'll know what was you, and what was Memorex!

Hotness...
HittinSkinzTa2 7:30 PM - 22 January, 2010
is CMOS doing house now??? Gonna give this a listen.
Anyway, long time no speak. How are things?
CMOS 7:53 PM - 22 January, 2010
Quote:
is CMOS doing house now??? Gonna give this a listen.
Anyway, long time no speak. How are things?

Ayy whats up cuz,
I was just wondering the other day where you have been lately, aint see you here much. Been good man, we gotta hook up n have a jam again soon. Might need a new Tat soon too.
HittinSkinzTa2 8:14 PM - 22 January, 2010
I pop on the forum every now and then. Soooooo many new heads here. Glad to hear things are going well. Things by me are going well also. I have a bi-weekly residency (kinda) at a little spot in the city. You should swing by sometime. And yes, we definitely gotta have a little jam session again.

Oh... LOVING the mix! Song selection is really taking me back. Smooth and clean as it should be. Mad props bro.
CMOS 8:28 PM - 22 January, 2010
Thanks man, that mix just felt good while makin it. That music gives you such a better feeling than hip hop. Im a hip hop head till i die but mann, house just makes you feel good.

Where you spinnin in the city? Will def come through one night.
HittinSkinzTa2 9:21 PM - 22 January, 2010
it definitely shows. Good stuff man.

Bar None. It's a small spot right by Webster Hall. I grew up with the owner and General Manager. They called me a few months ago to fill in for someone and it wound up turning into a regular thing. I'm there every other Friday. This Friday is my off week.
CMOS 8:18 PM - 23 January, 2010
Shameless Self Promotional Bump.
DeezNotes 8:28 PM - 23 January, 2010
Thanks for the bump. Now I have something to listen to on my way to my gig!
nik39 8:42 PM - 23 January, 2010
/me likes the mix.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:32 AM - 24 January, 2010
Told Y'all....^^^^

Where Dazz at?
DeezNotes 6:02 AM - 24 January, 2010
Yeah man. Good stuff. For real.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:04 AM - 24 January, 2010
Quote:
Yeah man. Good stuff. For real.

TOLD YOU.....
djatrain@hotmail.com 6:49 AM - 24 January, 2010
Gotta peep this
Thundercat 3:43 PM - 24 January, 2010
Quote:
Told Y'all....^^^^

Where Dazz at?

Y'all reallytrying to get me to quit? I was trying not to listen. I was already mad enough at that other person's mix I listened to a couple weeks ago...Ok i'll give it a listen. For the record, I hate y'all (in the nicest way possible).
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:27 PM - 24 January, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Told Y'all....^^^^

Where Dazz at?

Y'all really trying to get me to quit? I was trying not to listen. I was already mad enough at that other person's mix I listened to a couple weeks ago...Ok i'll give it a listen. For the record, I hate y'all (in the nicest way possible).

And he's playing the right versions.....lol
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:30 PM - 24 January, 2010
Quote:
Thanks man, that mix just felt good while makin it. That music gives you such a better feeling than hip hop. Im a hip hop head till i die but mann, house just makes you feel good..

Ahhh...you're one of us...

There's a quote in Thundercat's profile that now applies to you, I'll let him tell it...
Thundercat 4:43 PM - 24 January, 2010
not done yet but I just wanna know: Who gave him permission to play all these songs? Somebody has been paying attention. I'm like proud and heated at the same time. Like when your kid whoops your ass at something for the 1st time...

*tracklist assist*
16. The Fog - Been A Long Time
17. Julie McKnight - Home
lvmez 5:02 PM - 24 January, 2010
this is why i dont do house sets on stickam anymore. good stuff man. you and deez are undercover househeads.
DeezNotes 5:25 PM - 24 January, 2010
I can't lie.. it's the truth. House does have that "feel good" vibe when you're spinning it. If I find the energy, I'll jump on stickam later today. I usually feel the need to "let the house out" after spinnin regular gigs.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:45 AM - 25 January, 2010
Here's that famous quote -->> " Hip Hop is my trade, house is my passion."

Damn u CMOS.
CMOS 7:47 PM - 25 January, 2010
Another shameless bump.
CMOS 7:49 PM - 25 January, 2010
Quote:
I'm like proud and heated at the same time. Like when your kid whoops your ass at something for the 1st time...

Aiight now i can call myself a DJ and not a noob no more. Lol. I think that was justification right there haha.

Damn now no one gonna answer when i ask for a trackname on stickam. hehe
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:14 PM - 25 January, 2010
CMOS quick question, how much does DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 charge you to build hype for him cause i need a promoter for my next mix lol
CMOS 8:30 PM - 25 January, 2010
Lmao, honestly i sent him a copy of the mix and asked for feedback because i respect his opinion and i know he wouldnt be afraid to shit all over me if the mix sucked. He's also seen me progess since i started spinning as we both spin on the stickam channel.

Next thing i know he started this post on his own.
Detroitbootybass 10:50 PM - 25 January, 2010
Nice mix, CMOS... I really enjoyed it!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:25 PM - 25 January, 2010
Quote:
CMOS quick question, how much does DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 charge you to build hype for him cause i need a promoter for my next mix lol

LMAO!

I ain't cheap.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:30 PM - 25 January, 2010
Quote:
Lmao, honestly i sent him a copy of the mix and asked for feedback because i respect his opinion and i know he wouldnt be afraid to shit all over me if the mix sucked.He's also seen me progess since i started spinning as we both spin on the stickam channel.

Next thing i know he started this post on his own.

Yep, he rolled the dice....and it coulda went either way, because I was expecting a "Standard" CMOS 4 bar, take the bass out, echo out, new bass in, mix.

Far from that.

Besides, y'all should know, I wouldn't put it OUT THERE if it wasn't worth listenin' too...
Culprit 8:42 AM - 26 January, 2010
listening now
stevie o 3:39 PM - 26 January, 2010
Cant wait to listen.I gotta get back on stickam again. Miss u guys no homo.
Side note, cmos I worked at bar none a while back, Definitely gets a good spilloff of ladies from webster hall, Good spot, I gotta come thru.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 4:31 PM - 26 January, 2010
Quote:
Theres a few unknowns in the mix, if you know the names fill em in.

Tracklist

1. Unknown
2. Unknown
3. Unknown
8. Channels - Somebody New
15. Kenny Dope - So Long
16. Unkown
17. Unkown Artist - Home Dubb
20. Todd Terry - Camerra

Good stuff bro.

#8 Georg Levin f/ Clara Hill (I Got) Somebody New

One of the late unknowns is Been A Long Time - The Fog
djatrain@hotmail.com 9:54 PM - 26 January, 2010
Nice mix, very nice!
HittinSkinzTa2 10:21 PM - 26 January, 2010
Quote:
Cant wait to listen.I gotta get back on stickam again. Miss u guys no homo.
Side note, cmos I worked at bar none a while back, Definitely gets a good spilloff of ladies from webster hall, Good spot, I gotta come thru.

Yeah Stevie, definitely roll thru. I'll be there this Friday if any of you heads wanna come down and chill.
CMOS 5:03 PM - 29 January, 2010
Still need some help with this tracklist, has anyone ever heard the 1st three tracks before? I cant find anyone who knows em.

1. Unknown
2. Unknown
3. Unknown
8. Georg Levin f/ Clara Hill (I Got) Somebody New
15. Kenny Dope - So Long
16. The Fog - Been A Long Time
17. Julie McKnight - Home
20. Todd Terry - Camerra
nik39 10:34 PM - 29 January, 2010
How comes you be playing songs (good songs..) you don't know their names, artists?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:56 AM - 30 January, 2010
Quote:
How comes you be playing songs (good songs..) you don't know their names, artists?

You never had a Whitelabel and didn't know the names?

I've got plenty.
Nicky Blunt 1:11 PM - 30 January, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
You never had a Whitelabel and didn't know the names?I've got plenty.

+1 dance music is full of them, Half of my drum &b ass collection is pre release whitelabels.
nik39 1:15 PM - 30 January, 2010
Hm, well I got a few whitelabels, but I dug for them and tried to find out who it was. I guess since I come from a hiphop background it is much easier because you can at least spot the MC (unless it's a completely unknown MC).

I understand that with electronical music it is quite different. Haven't thought about that.
Nicky Blunt 1:17 PM - 30 January, 2010
I agree 100 percent with that Nik, the MC's voice makes it easy to distinguish who he is & normally the mc will say his name anywayz
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:13 PM - 30 January, 2010
Man look, it got to the point where I could only distinguish certain Whitelabels from others, simply because of the physical location in the crate. I'd have it near a song that would want to mix with it.

But now, it's worse...

Back in the day, you could acquire a Whitelabel song, but you could physically place it someplace like I did above...

These days, someone hands you an "utitled" CD, and it's full of tracks....

How do you go about "filing" that?

Since it's a CD, there's no TAG info, so unless someone actually writes the info either on the case, or the actual CD, you're sunk.

You'd have to make up names, or save everything under "untitled" #1, #2, #3...
Detroitbootybass 6:54 PM - 30 January, 2010
The first track is The Detroit Experiment - 'Think Twice'. It's Carl Craig's jazz-fusion band and they remade the Donald Byrd original song of the same name. But this is an unofficial remix of the song... most likely somebody's edit with just a beat track layered over the original version, which was released in late 2002/early 2003.
DeezNotes 12:12 AM - 31 January, 2010
Are you saying it's a remix of Detroit Experiment's version? Because it's def not the regular Detroit Experiment version. Whatever it is, I like it.
dj_craigmac 1:09 AM - 31 January, 2010
Very Good set almost made me a little jealous.
nik39 8:16 PM - 31 January, 2010
Now that got me thinking...

In the digital era now... how do you deal with such unknown tracks? Do you label them "unknown by unknown"? Seriously how do you distinguish them? With records it was easier - different whitelabels, different locatiosn for the vinyls etc.
Nicky Blunt 8:47 PM - 31 January, 2010
I generally make up names for the tracks but leave them as unknown artist.
Detroitbootybass 12:58 AM - 1 February, 2010
Quote:
Are you saying it's a remix of Detroit Experiment's version? Because it's def not the regular Detroit Experiment version. Whatever it is, I like it.

Well, it doesn't last very long... but it sounds to me to be a simple remix of the original version from The Detroit Experiment (not the real original from Donald Byrd). I know there were some remixes released on Juno just this past year, but this isn't one of them. It sounds like someone just threw a beat track over it. But, again, it doesn't last long enough to really be able to tell.
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:00 PM - 4 February, 2010
bump
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:39 PM - 5 February, 2010
finally got this downloaded, it kept crappin out on my phone, listening now