DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

I just got my SSL! and a Mac question.

Kid Gorgeous 3:58 AM - 14 January, 2005
Hey everyone I just wanted introduce myself since i just got my SSL kit today. Ive been on the forums as a guest before and was surprised by the amount of enthusiasm shown by most people, now i understand why, I'm damn impressed. I've used FS before and seen problems with it and serato is a cut above.
Now for my question. Im currently running a 1.7ghz viao laptop and have no problem with it but its big, 8.5lbs infact and has seen some wear and tear and I want to downsize. So i'm wondering is the 1.33ghz powerbook fast enough to comfortably run SSL?. From what I've seen on the forum the 1.5ghz is good, I don't remeber where but some one said the gui was a little slow on a 1.33ghz, any experiences that may help me decide? I like the size of the 12" Mac which is why I ask. If anyone with either 1.5ghz or 1.33 ghz could tell me their respective USB buffer and CPU usage, thatd be great.Thanks.
DJ Silk 3:28 PM - 14 January, 2005
Welcom Kid Gorgeous,
I use an iBook with a 800 mhz processor and I don't have any issues (knock on wood) with it. If you have the latest version of the operating system then you don't have to worry about the gui being slow. It isn't as quick as XP....but it is way more stable.
Just make sure you have plenty of Ram and you'll be good.
bartaug 3:31 PM - 14 January, 2005
I run SSL on a 12" iBook without problems, only the screen update is not very fast sometimes. The 12" iBook is about the most compact (and good looking) laptop you can imagine for SSL and it's also not to expensive. Have a try with it!
bartaug 3:32 PM - 14 January, 2005
Forgot to mention it's a 1.2 GHz model.
Stuart Ramdeen 11:59 PM - 15 January, 2005
You should be fine. I've got the 1GHz pbg4 with 768MB of ram and I run ssl @ a buffer of 2 and everything is dandy. CPU usage never really goes above ~90%. A 1.33GHz will sit back and relax. If you can wait though, wait for the powerbook g5s, or at least the updated powerbook g4s. Either will come by spring at the latest.

s
DJ AM 8:02 PM - 16 January, 2005
Get a 15" with 2 gigs of RAM and your straight... The 12" can hurt your eyes after 3 hours...