DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

a conversation with someone caught playing pre-mixed cds/ auto-mix

Joshua Carl 12:23 AM - 12 January, 2010
I took this from the orignal thread becuase I didnt want to slow/change the direction of that one.

but this was interesting... it looks like this because its from facebook.

yes, its long...sorry...
and not terribly mindblowing...so unless you have time to kill.
dont bother.

[unlike the other post of this, I expanded it so NOTHING is missing]

Greg How do you newbs Spin without headphones.....What the Hell is going on here...... And "mapped out sets".... Learn to play the crowd kids......
December 11, 2009 at 1:41pm via Facebook for iPhone · Comment · LikeUnlike

Matthew Costello
Wtf is that about?!?!
December 11, 2009 at 1:48pm
Leo
Leo
If I may make a point... First let me say I am undoubtedly a "newb." I have only been at this for a year and most of my time is spent building my library... But in my humble opinion, preparing a set can only improve your performance. You still always have the option of switching it up if the crowd isnt into it... But taking the time and effort to ... See Moreprepare sick mixes that you couldn't possibly make on the fly... well that just seems like a good idea...

And the spinning without headphones... thats a consequence of having a prepared mix. Since you've practiced it before hand and have que points set up, you dont need them for those mixes. Though maybe us kids should start wearing them anyways just so we dont look like newbs =P
December 11, 2009 at 2:41pm
Terry Moran
Terry Moran
stuff your crate, rock the tracks on the CROWD response - not your map - and if you don't use headphones, you are a producer, not a dj
December 11, 2009 at 3:13pm
Leo
Leo
The idea is that you try to get the crowd to respond better by playing something better. When I mix, I dont just want to go from one track to the next. As much as I possibly can, I want the mixing to Improve the final product. The way I see it, the DJ's responsibility is to the overall set, not to simply choosing the right succession of songs. So ... See Moreif the crowd responds well to vocal progressive for example, and I can give them a prepared set which sounds ALOT better than if I had to mix it on the fly... then why wouldnt I?
December 11, 2009 at 3:33pm
Greg
Greg
Please don't take offense to the post, I am ranting, but not directly at you, I have seen some other ppl do it and it disapoints me that some ppl who aren't "DJ" ing are taking paying gigs from people who have honed the skill of mixing & beatmatching for years before they head out to spin a club. Today's technology is allowing ppl to come in out of... See More no where as self proclaimed djs when they haven't spent the time and effort to learn the craft. There is more to it than playing a pre-recorded mix or 2 or 3 at a club..... And to be called a producer, you must first PRODUCE your own music.......
December 11, 2009 at 3:38pm
Greg
Greg
You are a mix show DJ..... You should have them broadcast somewhere, not play the mixes you created by using a program on your computer out at a club where everyone thinks you are spinning live.....
December 11, 2009 at 4:00pm
Leo
Leo
None taken! And please dont think I am just some arrogant prick that thinks hes the shit...Im confident but not arrogant. I see this debate as just another opportunity to learn. This is just my opinion but I am always eager to listen and learn from far more experienced DJs. You are right that the technology sucks for people like you, who had to ... See Morespend all that time and effort learning it the old fashioned way. But that doesnt mean the technology is a bad thing. See, instead of having to put in the effort to learn the old fashioned way (which I did by the way) people that are forward thinking can take advantage of the technology and spend their time and effort learning how to implement it to improve the final product. If all I did with Traktor was the same stuff someone did on CDJs, then I am wasting the technology and being lazy. On the other hand, if I put in the effort to learn how to make more complicated mashups, to mix 4 tracks at once, to use all the awesome effects to improve my sets, then this HAS to be respected. And no, I cant do all those things... yet. But I am working towards it. That is where my effort is going.
December 11, 2009 at 4:01pm
Leo
Leo
I dont understand why you say that... I am no different than you. I have all the same options as you. If the crowd doesn't like what I am playing, I always have the option to play something else, and mix on the fly. But if the crowd likes what I am playing, then why would I want to compromise the quality of the final product. There is no inherent ... See Morevalue in mixing on the fly. The DJs job is to make the crowd happy. Bottom line. If you can make them happier playing something you practiced earlier that day, then why wouldn't you?
December 11, 2009 at 4:07pm
Matthew Costello
Matthew Costello
I spin w headphones a dj controller w virtual vinyl, im an amaetur at best, i dont do trance and house so i simply dont look for gigs yhat want that...much respect for the old school vinyl and cdj guys like mr dj greg s!
December 11, 2009 at 4:09pm
Terry Moran
Terry Moran
greg - you have seen my sets - unorthodox, on the fly, all types of music off the cuff - sure I dump the songs I think I will need for the set into a serato crate, but only 10 mins before I go on, and would never play a pre produced set in a club - that just tells me that you don't have the stones to pull it off live
December 11, 2009 at 4:35pm
Leo
Leo
You're right. I dont have the balls nor the skill to pull off on the fly mixes as good as I could prepare them. Eventually, I would like to get to the point where I can. But now is not that point. Ive only been at this for a year. So for now, while I know my prepared mixes are better, It would just be laziness not to prepare. Im not in this for ... See Moremyself. Im not in this to prove I have balls. Im in this to provide the public with as good a product as I can make. And the more time and effort I put into that, the more time and effort I put into preparing my mixes... the better off ile be... right?
December 11, 2009 at 4:45pm
Terry Moran
Terry Moran
no - not right. If you came on and explained to the crowd that you were putting a pre-produced show out there, that would be right. Instead, you are fronting like what you are doing is live, and fooling the people into thinking they are seeing a live set. Pre-produced shows are for radio guys. Start there if that is what you want to do. In the... See More meantime you are taking money out of the pockets of the guys that have been perfecting their craft for years. Practice in your bedroom is key, but it won't help you decide a change in the attitude of the room and how to drop something that fixes a crowd, deck time in front of crowds will.
December 12, 2009 at 9:14am
Leo
Leo
1. I highly doubt too many people care. I have yet to meat any club goer that hears a House or Trance set and says: "I hope that set was mixed on the fly because that would make it so much better!" As a matter of fact, when I go to see any well established DJ, I HOPE they have prepared their set, because I want to get the best musical experience ... See Morepossible. Were not talking about a wedding DJ here. When I go to see a DJ I am going to see a performance. As with any performance, I would much rather the performer comes prepared.

2. The only reason I get gigs is because promoters and club owners see a consistent track record of great sets. (and they never seem to ask how I make them) The reason I can consistently produce great sets, at this point, is because I spend a shit load of time and effort preparing each one. If you want to call this cheating, so be it... I call it working hard to further my career.

3. In every set Ive ever played, Ive had to divert from my prepared set at one point or another and start mixing on the fly. Either because the crowd wasnt responding, I was asked to play a different style by management, because I finished my prepared set or just because it felt right. When I start mixing on the fly, I dont suddenly suck. I simply become... you... Or any DJ that mixes on the fly. Thats why im not a radio DJ. Because I still have the responsibility to respond to changing circumstances.
December 12, 2009 at 12:23pm
Terry Moran
Terry Moran
you'll understand what I mean someday - and if you are mixing trance and house - that is the easiest set to put together, so it puzzles me even more why you are pre-baking the sets, I mean how hard it is to mix from 128 to 140 with all electronic music?!?- but whatever works for you, I guess. It will always be more art than science to me, and that... See More is why I can do weddings, clubs, concerts, award shows in Vegas, corporate events, tours, galas, and work with the pats, bruins, sox and at fenway partk, etc. And there are a million kids that come into the biz every year, do whatever they want without taking the advice of a veteran, and then drift away and do something else in a few years because they could only get shows for short money - because they tried to do it their own way. There is a market for that, as you prove, but not a long lasting one. The people that lip synch too think they are putting out the same product as a live set - and not all people can tell, but some do and realize the performance is a joke. I'm in CT to do spin the most prestigous prep school's winter gala tonight - and I will walk in, set up and rock it.
December 12, 2009 at 12:58pm
Leo
Leo
Terry, I just want you to know that Im hearing everything you're saying. Its not going in one ear and out the other. I do appreciate your opinion and input that comes from what is obviously a vast amount of experience. I am not just arguing to prove myself right. Debate for me is a way to learn, so please dont think I am just some young punk =P I ... See Morecertainly appreciate you taking the time to have this argument :) Others would have said "fuck it" by now.

That said, I am still confident that I am on the right path and that your concerns are not valid :) I think we are arguing about different kinds of DJs. There are what I might call "party DJs" whose responsibility it is to basically give the crowd whatever they want. And I have all the respect in the world for these DJs. But thats not what I want to be. I want to be more akin to a live musical performer. I want people to come to see me because they like the unique music I perform. You might wonder how a DJ, who spins other people's music, sees himself in this way. Well the way I see it, the DJs artistry is in manipulating the individual tracks, mixing them in a manner that actually improves on them, so on so forth so that you are actually creating something new and unique. Its like... each track is a note and the whole DJ set is the song. How you play and combine the individual notes determines the quality of the song. For example, when a DJ does a mashup of 2 or more tracks, he is creating something new. So when you say "I mean how hard it is to mix from 128 to 140 with all electronic music?!?" You give yourself away as a party DJ. Again, no disrespect. But I am not concerned with only beatmatching 2 tracks and then fading one in and the other out. Im interested in finding 2 or more tracks that compliment each other and finding the most interesting, unique, and pleasant way to combine them. Then doing it again and again until I've created a unique, seamless musical progression from the beginning of my set to the end. And thats why its so important to prepare. Its immensely difficult to make such quality mixes on the fly. So unless you are absurdly good, you have to prepare. The singer doesnt simply go on stage and sing random notes. The singer goes on stage and sings something she has practiced and prepared a million times. Thats all I am doing. I am still mixing it live, its not like I just put a CD in and pretend to do the mixes. And some of the mashups I do, even though theyve been practiced a million times at home, take some significant skill to pull off live. And let me again say im still a "newb." These amazing mixes im talking about are what I am working towards. I can pull off some really nice sounding mixes, but its not nearly as technical and difficult as I would like it to be. You can listen to all of my sets at soundcloud.com Im not ashamed to say that those mixes were prepared because I think they are pretty good. But they dont look too impressive performed live. But for less then a year of DJing, if you aren't impressed... I would be honestly surprised. And lastly... sorry for the huge posts.... haha
December 12, 2009 at 3:51pm
Joshua Carl Hall
Joshua Carl Hall
this that all that needs to be said about this sad excuse for a debate:::> Watchwww.youtube.com
January 7 at 12:24pm ·
Terry Moran
Terry Moran
thanks, Josh - Leo - I get what you are saying. I just mix rock, hip hop, old school, dance house, top 40, mashups and do live mashups ON THE FLY flawlessly. Sure - I might test a few things before my set, but I do all types of music, with beats that sometimes have human drummers and kill it without pre-baking my sets. You are not the first to ... See Moredo it - there were guys that did it when I started out, and they are selling cars now and out of DJing.
Anyone can make a sweet mix cd on the computer and sound like a master, it's easy. But to play a set creatively on the fly with mixing all types of music is much harder. Call me a party jock if you will - I worked clubs for 20 years, at one point spinning 5 days a week. Now I am off to bigger and better events that pay real money. Go see Josh's set one night at the GB, you will get what I mean.
January 7 at 3:10pm
Joshua Carl Hall
Joshua Carl Hall
If I EVER see some one out doing this I CALL THEM OUT IMMEDIATELY...Ive done it twice... other djs have worked to hard, paracticed too long to lose a gig to a charelton!
if your not ready to play out... then DONT.
January 7 at 4:47pm ·
Leo
Leo
Let me clear some things up...

I can and do mix on the fly. Come by Underbar on most Fridays and Saturdays (where they often let me open without paying me) and you will see what I can do without planning out any parts of my sets. In terms of mixing, I will maybe throw in a few on the fly acapellas and effects. Not bad by any means... Just ask anyone that has heard me opening at Underbar. But other then my song choice... theres very little that I can do playing Progressive or Tech House to stand out. And neither can most DJs. Thats the point... As Terry himself said: "how hard is it to mix from 128 to 140 with all electronic music?!?"

If all DJing is about is picking the right songs for the crowd and beat matching them... how can someone stand out in terms of mixing? Some can... Some people are so good they can come up with amazing mashups and CRAZY effects that really improve their set... all on the fly. These are the upper echelon of DJs... The Peter Baileys, the Roger Sanchezes, the Danny Tenaglias. And those are my... I guess you can call them role models. Thats the quality of DJing I want to work towards. I may never achieve it, but I am not satisfied simply picking a song and beat matching it with the last one, rinse and repeat.... See More

So until I get that good... Im going to spend a ridiculous amount of time at home finding interesting and unique ways to mix tracks, and then employing what I have prepared and learned at my sets, so that I can stand out. If you are good enough not to have to do this... good for you. But if you COULD be making your sets sound better if you practice and prepare... but choose not to.... you are unnecessarily reducing the quality of your product...

Josh, I dont think you are in any position to say how much time and effort I put into what I do. Again, as an experienced DJ I respect your opinion and want to hear what you have to say, but I think it is a little arrogant to assume that you work any harder then me... As a matter of fact, I would argue the contrary. I put in a tremendous amount of effort to make my sets sound as fucking amazing as I can make them. You seem to think thats a bad thing....

Look...
www.4shared.com

Just listen to this mashup... and then tell me that any good DJ can come up with that on the fly 2 days after the tracks are released... and that I shouldnt have played it at the club because I took the time and effort to prepare it at home... Is that really what you guys are suggesting I do?

And theres more where that came from... thats just one instance... one example of the product of my effort. You are going to have to give me a REALY good reason not to play that out...
January 7 at 6:08pm
Leo
Leo
By the way, feel free to download and use that track in your sets :)
January 7 at 6:12pm
Joshua Carl Hall
Joshua Carl Hall
Leo, I dont know you from a hole in the wal, but why on earth would you work for free? thats a big breach of an age-old code in th DJ_ethics?
not DJ'ing live is not DJ'ing end of story...
if your not good enough to do it in person stay home...
January 7 at 6:12pm ·
Leo
Leo
Im trying to get noticed... and I got to open for Peter Bailey, DJ Amadeus, Eli Wilkie, and others... Seems like a good opportunity... Currently working on setting up something official. As far as "not DJ'ing live is not DJ'ing"... I dont know what you want to call "Live DJing" because as far as Im concerned... Im DJing live. If you think a DJ ... See Moreshouldnt prepare for his gigs and use practiced mixes that couldnt possibly be made on the fly, then you will have to explain why. Because I dont understand...
January 7 at 6:18pm
Joshua Carl Hall
Joshua Carl Hall
yeah... make a mash up. play it out. thats what young producers do...I dont think anyone is talking about that.
I do it, alot of people do it...theres entire websites that sell them....I dont know what the hell your talking about,.... Im talking about not DJ'ing for the night.
Pre-mixing the majority of the set at home, then standing there while it plays... thats a no-go.... no one does that.
from the wavie at the local bar to tiesto
January 7 at 6:18pm ·
Joshua Carl Hall
Joshua Carl Hall
exactly.
why ruin such AMAZING opportunity by doing what 99.999% Djs DESPISE... If I had a touring DJ watching my everymove the last thing Id do is fake it...
A very good friend gave me some great advice years ago about DJ'in EDM. play everyset like you idol DJ is watching everymove over your shoulder.
again... we are talking about playing pre-... See Moremixed sets, produced mash-ups and edits.
when you get a chance to open as a young dj there are 2 rules, 1. your an opener; play the part. 2. be technically flawless...
January 7 at 6:24pm ·
Leo
Leo
All the mixes I do live. Nothing is pre-recorded. But what I do is often prepare what tracks I want to play and if I can, find interesting ways to mix them. If theres no interesting way to mix em... then I do it the old fashioned way. Beat match and go. But if I can find an unique and interesting way to mix from track to track, I will practice it ... See Moreand then perform it live. And if the crowd is liking what I give them, I will keep giving them these practiced mixes. If they dont like it, I will try something else. As far as I can tell, all I am doing is trying to give the crowd a product that I have put alot of effort into to make it better then it could have been had I tried to mix tracks on the fly.
January 7 at 6:24pm
Greg
Greg
It's not about playing 1 track or mashup that you created.... We ALL do that.... I watched you play for about 1 1/2 hours with out headphones... And you told me it was pre recorded at your house.... So how about this..... When you bill yourself out...dOn't say you are "spinning" or "djing", cuz your not really.... Instead of leading ppl on, you say something like ... Come see me play my mix CDs.....
January 7 at 6:26pm
Joshua Carl Hall
Joshua Carl Hall
oh... really ...
is that what your doing Leo??
(thats really isnt what I expected...)
January 7 at 6:27pm ·
Leo
Leo
Ah... ok so maybe theres a misunderstanding.... I dont pre-record anything... I just practice the mixes I perform live before I perform them... And about not using headphones... thats Traktor for ya... Sync feature...
January 7 at 6:27pm
Joshua Carl Hall
Joshua Carl Hall
well... fuckbeans. SYNC is just as bad.
I have seen a guy get his ass kicked for using sync..literally.
no joke...

thats for wedding djs...come on man!!!!... See More

the only time sync asst programs are ok (when billing yourself out as a performer) is when you are doing a live PA
January 7 at 6:29pm ·
Leo
Leo
The only difference is that the decisions of which track to play and how to mix them are not being made live. The actual act of mixing is still done live. I just have already decided earlier that I want to mix track A and track B and how I am going to mix it.
January 7 at 6:30pm
Leo
Leo
And thats only done when I think I have some very interesting mixes... If I cant come up with something extra special... I might as well just do it on the fly no? Save me a ton of time...
January 7 at 6:30pm
Leo
Leo
haha... well... this is a toughy... I could beatmatch... I do it all the time when I am going back and forth with another DJ at Suite. So... should I do it anyways even tho I can save myself the time by pressing one button when I am on traktor?... Heres my philosophy on this. If the time you save using the sync feature isnt used to improve the set... See More... you are just being lazy. But if you use that time messing with the effects or preparing acapellas or mashups... then why not. What I might agree with though is that the more practice I have beat matching by ear the better...
January 7 at 6:36pm
Joshua Carl Hall
Joshua Carl Hall
well, like anything theres the "proper way" and the "quick and easy way"... and if your more interested in "saving time" and not reading the vibe in the room... its not like your taking money out of anyone's wallet. But I can tell you 1 indisputable fact: the DJ game is built on respect, and if your cheating the game it wont be long before you have become blacklisted.
January 7 at 6:37pm ·
Leo
Leo
But really... how impressive is beat matching... why is beat matching the measure of a DJ... Its not a very difficult technique... at least for me...
January 7 at 6:37pm
Joshua Carl Hall
Joshua Carl Hall
NEITHER ARE FREE-THROWS IN BASKETBALL.
January 7 at 6:38pm ·
Leo
Leo
haha... interesting argument... Like I said though, I never just stand around. Either I use the saved time to try and read the crowd, to find the next track, to set up que points for a better mix... to fuck with effects... I just think theres alot more creative things we can be doing with our time... Again, im not just saying that because I cant do it. I can...
January 7 at 6:41pm
Joshua Carl Hall
Joshua Carl Hall
90% of newbies that use the "i use automix so i can do other things" statement... are RARELY doing other things... if you cant tweak an effects knob at the same time as keeping a finger on the pitch control ...keep practicing till you get it. then come out...heheh "other stuff"
your not juggling.
your not scratching
your not phasing
your using on board effects....Ive seen it... we have ALL seen it.... it takes a millisecond to engage an effect.
January 7 at 6:46pm ·
Joshua Carl Hall
Joshua Carl Hall
this kinda sums trying to tell someone who thinks they are doing the right thing....when they are not
Watchwww.youtube.com
January 7 at 6:49pm ·
Leo
Leo
Youre mean!... But funny. But I will let Richie Hawtin speak for me punk!

Watchwww.youtube.com

And no im not that good... But what hes doing is what I am working towards. His style is the Future. I think some people are just stuck in the past
January 7 at 6:54pm
Joshua Carl Hall
Joshua Carl Hall
thats exactly what Im saying Leo.
WORK TOWARDs THAT.
and when you get there...then come on out and play.
coming out pre-mature and taking short cuts....
we'll.. you'll regret it.... See More
January 7 at 6:59pm ·
Leo
Leo
No I said my set was prepared Greg. I never said pre-recorded... All my mixes are done live... They are just practiced in advance... You are welcome to come watch me at Underbar if you really want to... Im not hiding anything. As for shit breaking? What happens when a CDJ breaks? It happened at Suite, and there was no backup, so I ended up spinning on my laptop all night instead of the other guy because my comp connects directly to the mixer...

Technology is technology. Would it hurt to learn CDJs? Absolutely not... But dont criticize me for it because I choose to spend the time getting better at Traktor.

Josh... I hear what you're saying... and Ive actually recently made a concerted effort to use Timecodes. Its just not always ez on limited funds. (I dont have CDJs) I practice a little at the Club but once people get there I am afraid to fuck up... Keep in mind I have only been at this for a year... and most of the time is spent finding music...... See More

The most important thing I would like you guys to take away from this is that im not taking any shortcuts. I work my fucking ass off to improve... Respect my hustle... even if its a little different than yours...
January 7 at 7:11pm
Joshua Carl Hall
Joshua Carl Hall
yeah... my original statement here still remains.... if your are cheating, and I see it...I will call you out.
thats all.
if not... than no one has any worries.
January 7 at 7:23pm ·
Leo
Leo
I love you too!
January 7 at 7:26pm
VJ Justin Allen 12:39 AM - 12 January, 2010
Quote:

And the spinning without headphones... thats a consequence of having a prepared mix. Since you've practiced it before hand and have que points set up, you dont need them for those mixes. Though maybe us kids should start wearing them anyways just so we dont look like newbs

Best quote of the whole thread. I guess I have been practicing all wrong all these years...I still use headphones!
DVDjHardy 3:57 AM - 12 January, 2010
Quote:
2. The only reason I get gigs is because promoters and club owners see a consistent track record of great sets. (and they never seem to ask how I make them)

1. We know that's not how most people get gigs...especially not after being in the game for 1 year.

2. Compare the quote above to this:

Quote:
In every set Ive ever played, Ive had to divert from my prepared set at one point or another and start mixing on the fly. Either because the crowd wasnt responding, I was asked to play a different style by management,

and then this:

Quote:

I can and do mix on the fly. Come by Underbar on most Fridays and Saturdays (where they often let me open without paying me) and you will see what I can do without planning out any parts of my sets.

I stopped reading at that point...
DJ Booch1 4:42 AM - 12 January, 2010
That sucks big time to read Joshua! Im from boston myself, ive practice for years before I went out live. Now for the past 5 years doing gigs in boston I have worked at few bars in boston, nothing to big, places like coogans and jose mac, but I have tried to branch out to bigger and better places, I use to thing that it was knowning people, now with reading that post, I can tell a part of it is knowing people, the other is fake as DJ's or people that call themselfs DJ's. playing either for free or cheap to get there foot in the door when there arent even ready, never mind not ready they dont even spin live lol fucking joke!! Good for you calling this guy out! Sucks for me trying to get my name out there when clubs and bars wont even bother when they have these fake DJ's flooding the market for a cheaper price and they jsut stand there!
Gor 5:05 AM - 12 January, 2010
5 line summary anyone?
Nicky Blunt 5:27 AM - 12 January, 2010
Quote:
5 line summary anyone?

I pre play my sets

thats bad

no its not

yes it is

rinse wash repeat!
DJ_Phenom 6:48 AM - 12 January, 2010
I don't know if I'm misreading this or everyone else is. but it seems to me like the dude was saying he creates a pre-set playlist to base his set off of. Not that he is play pre-mixed cds or a pre-recorded set. I didn't get that anywhere in the convo. He said he has pre-set loops and cues set up for his mixes, and that if the crowds not feelin it he'll switch it up.

Now I know alot of cats go into an important gig with at least a loose idea of what they are gonna play. Some people like to have a set-list. If you think you are watching any big-name dj touring through your town doing a completely improv set for you, then I have some official white cv's I can mail you. Just send me a money order for $100 and I'll mail it tomorrow ;-). Those bad ass sets you see A-trak, Mstrkft, Craze, Klever etc... Are at least 75% pre-planned. You can go to youtube and see the exact same parts they played for you at every other stop they played.

I don't plan my sets personally, but if I was to say I never play certain songs after other ones cuz I realized and awesome way to mix those particular songs together I would be lying. I bet alot of you would too.

Sorry for the long post, but I think alot of people tend to misread things and see red then start an online mob
DJMuErTe 7:46 AM - 12 January, 2010
Its true that djs like tiesto have premade sets, i went to his show and all he did was use effects, i dont remember him cueing tracks, he had his red headphones (wireless)>?
then watching youtube videos i found a couple that are the same (music wise) same sets different club lol...
Nicky Blunt 8:17 AM - 12 January, 2010
I think for the turntablists like a-track craze etc you can expect that shit to be rehersed you know its complex! But tiesto??? please!! How is he gonna ry and get away with pre played sets thats appauling!
Joshua Carl 2:48 PM - 12 January, 2010
no.. thiis sparked because greg watched him never mix a track for a solid hour.
just stand at the console tweaking knobs n such...
and when he asked about it he said it was pre-mixed at home.
and when he doesent do that he uses automix so he can "concentrate on other things"
which we all know by now 90% of the time is bs.
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:15 PM - 12 January, 2010
Quote:
I think for the turntablists like a-track craze etc you can expect that shit to be rehersed you know its complex! But tiesto??? please!! How is he gonna ry and get away with pre played sets thats appauling!

I dont see why thats so bad its not like tiestos a party rocker DJ, he dosent need to read or respond to his crowdm his crowd just comed to hear him play his tracks so a preplanned mix dosent seem horrible to me
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:15 PM - 12 January, 2010
Quote:

and when he doesent do that he uses automix so he can "concentrate on other things"
which we all know by now 90% of the time is bs.

LOL i always love that line 99% of what a DJ does is beatmatch what the hell else is there to concentrate on
Warren T. 3:56 PM - 12 January, 2010
With digital technology now....it's so easy to beatmatch without using the sync button. A friend of mine won a local competition with flawless beatmatching and transitions while mixing in key. His secret? Pre-warping tracks to be played on the CDJs with Ableton at a fixed tempo of 128 or 130. Then playing it live on CDJs with the pitch set to 0 & occasionally fiddling with it to look like it's legit. I'm pretty sure Tiesto & prob some other big name DJs do this as well.
SELECT 3:59 PM - 12 January, 2010
I agree with this thread, call em out! Anyone who plays out pre recorded mixes is wick wick wack. Its obvious mixing live and working with the crowd is too complicated for some. Just know your place when you speaking to real "live" Djs, because anyone can do what you do, anyone. Show some respect.

All that extra talk about having more time to concentrate on other stuff is really bullshit. You just cant be creative enough with two records so stop being in denial. The balls some people have.
DJ_Phenom 5:38 PM - 12 January, 2010
Quote:

I agree to call em out if they are not mixing, but how can you call someone out for playing from a set list. Also in regards to the turntablist quote. A-trak and Craze still do some crazy scratch ish, but it is no secret that they are primarily party/club djs now. A-traks sets consist of 90% electro-house the last 4 times i've seen him. The scratch routines are of course practiced to perfection, but the overall set will be close to identical when on a tour...
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:29 PM - 12 January, 2010
next time i go to a Jay Z concert or go to see a live band play im calling those bitches out cause i KNOW they have a set list before hand, fuckers probably have rehersals and everything
Joshua Carl 6:33 PM - 12 January, 2010
I saw Q bert 3 times in a row (all within a 2 week period)

he did the same thing everytime.

even made the whole crowd think it was his dad's birthday, and he was in the crowd.
he had every sings Happy Birthday to him....all 3 times.

but each show he did everything live... it wasnt a cd playing.

if u have the immense patience and are that bored to read all that.
we also get into the difference between performaces as a club DJ and performances
as a "Live PA" act...
DJ Alkemy 7:04 PM - 12 January, 2010
I cant believe a lot of people are not aware that DJ's play a setlist!. Like J.Carl said about him going to see Q, I did the same with Scratch Pervert's but the shows were a month or so apart and while I cant really say if the whole set was the same (I was wasted the first time) I can remember at leats 8-9 portions of the show where they done the same scratch routine or mixed certain songs together. Now what I dont get is how people are suprised by this, Im more startled that people look at it as a bad thing. If you spent months upon months practising a set that you thought the public were going to respond well to then it would be pretty stupid to only play it at one or two venues because you would want everyone at every different club to experience it. Plus you would not have the time to practice different sets when you are touring so much. As for just reading the crowd and mixing on the fly, 90 percent of the people turning up at the club are there for said DJ so he can basically get away with playing anything (within a reasonable limit of course) and you will find that they very rarely play requests so yes, they are sticking to a setlist for the most part. When I DJ I always have a general idea of what Im going to play but of course I change styles based on crowd reaction (or if Im on a Jack D marathon lol) and yes I have mixed certain tracks together quite a lot because if I think that they sound great together then of course Im gonna do it more than once, I think it would be over anal and silly not to. I dont know about playing pre-recorded mixes though, that to me would be a slap in the face if I paid to go and see a DJ and all he done was twiddle a few knobs all night. If you know what tracks you are going to play then at least do it live!
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:13 PM - 12 January, 2010
typically when i have a gig lined up i spend weeks and weeks preparing a set knowing the ins and outs of everything i know i want to play......then at the moment i touch the decks i freak out and all of that goes out the window and its every song for itself
DJ DisGrace 7:24 PM - 12 January, 2010
If your touring, you have the right to play the same set at every stop, because chances are its dope, original, and technically difficult.... the problem is when resident djs start playing the same sets, week in, week out, at various spots in the same neighborhood - it gets old and predictable REAL fast. For resident club djs, there is a fine line between being consistent, and being repetitive.
DJ Booch1 8:23 PM - 12 January, 2010
I agree, but I can say that a much as creativity i put into my sets, alot of what I do its planned at all, although I will admit there have been times where something worked out great and got a good responce that I will throw in a crate her and there. Im not against people doing pre-planned sets at all, for me its had to stay within that set, i get very bored! With this guy saying that he does all pre-planned or pre-recorded sets all the time just goes to show me that he cant think of it on the fly, which is a technic in itself as far a djing goes! but to stand there acting like your djing thats just wrong, anybody can do that!
DJ Booch1 8:25 PM - 12 January, 2010
wow I should really have read that before I sent it lol Errors everywhere
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:34 PM - 12 January, 2010
the way i see it having somewhat of a preplanned set is kinda like how eminem used to freestyle back in the day, hed say alot of rhymes over and over but hed use them to join on the spot freestyles also he would use different rhymes he already had in different situations, VS drake freestyling a written rap off his blackberry
Advocate 8:57 PM - 12 January, 2010
Having a Set versus a Premix is different.

Anyone who truly thinks that a "real" or "good" DJ is someone who plays in front of a crowd and simply mixes music on the fly without any clue as to what he or she is going to do next or which direction they may take the crowd, obviously has no clue as to DJ'g.

If you've DJ'd for more than a year then it should become pretty apparent that you are going to play certain songs in a specific order or grouped together. It's bound to happen. Track 1 then Track 2 then Instrumental 3 then Acapella 4 then Track 5... that's all you.

There's nothing wrong with a set... it's a part of DJ'g. Whether your preplanned set is 10 minutes or 1 hour... in some way or form it's still considered a set.

Premixes are slightly different, but I truly believe that they have their place... but there are rules. (In My Opinion, of course)
Rule #1 - A Premix should have been made by YOU... and nobody else.
Rule #2 - A Premix is not a mixed CD. Playing someone elses mixed CD is wacked. Playing you're own mixed CD is also wacked. People who want to hear you don't want to hear the same mixed CD you made that's already in their car.

I've been in some bars to get a drink and far off in the corner is some 50 year old guy with a mixer and some rackmount CD players pressing buttons and playing mixed CD's. Obviously this guy is from some stone age but simply wants to do something in his spare time, maybe get away from his wife and get a free drink. Neither the bar owner or this "Free-J" cares about the 20 people playing pool or drinking a beer.

I've been DJ'g for over 15 years. Where I've come from to where I am now is completely different. Right now I'm that resident DJ guy in the neighbourhood ( as DJ DisGrace said earlier). Being a resident DJ is different then playing at various venues with mulitple DJ's. Nowadays I DJ alone... there's no crew, there's no DJ partner... it's just me... and it's a different beast to handle but more rewarding in my opinion. I'm responsible for the night from beginning to end 9:00pm-3:00am. If the night starts off slow or later in the night after a few drinks when the time comes to go the washroom and relief myself... well since nobody's there to help then this is where the Premix becomes extremely useful. Since it's my own Premix, which I could do live, then truly it's still me playing. The trick to the Premix is that it's straight mixed music... no voice over talking, no sample effects... just music. You can't wrong the DJ for having to take a 5-10 minute break. And since I'm responsible for the whole night then it makes sense. The Premix is not really premeditated, it's a tool.

But recording mulitple Premixes at home and using that for 60% of your night only deciding to switch to live mixing when the crowd isn't feel your premade bedroom mix is... WACKED.

I can see it... DJ Unknown in his bedroom imagining the best party on the planet... 30 Thousand people listening to DJ Unknown.
[Press Record]
He's probably mixing all sorts of music. His head's probably bobbing as he imagines Jay-Z telling him to keep doing his thing and stop by later for drinks with him and Beyonce. Obama is there shaking it and tells him that he's so good that he needs to come to the White House. Bush and Bin Laden are there dancing in harmony... Jazzy Jeff is in awe and wants to do some kind of collaboration. Frenzy, Madness, Crazy Hype. The crown chants Unknown, Unknown, Unknown...
[Stop Recording]

The following weekend he plays that set at the bar... only problem is that none of that music is what the crowd wants to hear.

Advocate
SteadFast 1:36 AM - 13 January, 2010
Quote:
typically when i have a gig lined up i spend weeks and weeks preparing a set knowing the ins and outs of everything i know i want to play......then at the moment i touch the decks i freak out and all of that goes out the window and its every song for itself

I've had to do this a few times. I had planned out a set for a few weeks. When i get to the gig I played one track from my list crowd wasn't feeling it, and I had to change it up. Ended up not playing one track from that crate.
dj vegas 3:21 AM - 13 January, 2010
I plaed at a place that got busy early and had people get pissed i would not play the top 10 songs at 10:00 lol. So I made lots of early mix cd's and would stay behind the bar so there was no requests. I would start mixing when the main crowd got there. Now i play at a place that is all rock and 80s till 11:30 then we go into the top 40 ish and i play straight from 9:30 to 2.

Some times you have to do what you have to do but to me playing a song more than once a night is and all wase will be wack!
DJ_Phenom 4:49 AM - 13 January, 2010
Quote:
next time i go to a Jay Z concert or go to see a live band play im calling those bitches out cause i KNOW they have a set list before hand, fuckers probably have rehersals and everything

HA, thats some funny shit
O.B.1 7:14 AM - 13 January, 2010
Fuck this guy, he is a poser!
He admits he doesn't even use Turntables or CDJ's.
He admits he uses auto-mix or whatever that is.
He admits he is full of excuses.

*rant over*
Dj Adam Gonzalez 7:44 AM - 13 January, 2010
I seen Dj AM R.I.P. 3 times, different cities, same set. I call that a prepared mix not pre-recorded mix, serato has the option where you can pick and drop the tracks you plan to play in your set in the prepared section. If you as a dj are playing pre-recorded mixes why dont you just show up at the club drop off your mix cd get your money and go home, why waste your time standing in the dj booth acting like you are mixing?
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:31 PM - 13 January, 2010
Quote:
I seen Dj AM R.I.P. 3 times, different cities, same set. I call that a prepared mix not pre-recorded mix, serato has the option where you can pick and drop the tracks you plan to play in your set in the prepared section. If you as a dj are playing pre-recorded mixes why dont you just show up at the club drop off your mix cd get your money and go home, why waste your time standing in the dj booth acting like you are mixing?

you dont get pussy by dropping off a cd and leaving.....theres something about twisting knobs thats girls find irrestiable
Joshua Carl 2:48 PM - 13 January, 2010
tune in tokyo...
Loneavenger 9:32 AM - 19 February, 2010
I've been a Club DJ for 10 years now, and it still gets me how old fashioned some of these old school dj's views are. I almost always have an idea of what my list for the night is gonna be, I do take requests and do a little mixing on the fly but overall i pre plan it, I also will use automix whenever i have great music cued up and for part of the night i am a glorified ipod, But does a single person complain?? Absolutely not, When I have a packed to the max club, all 800 people on the floor dancing and loving the music, does it really matter how i'm going about mixing my tracks and if i'm doing it live, mixed it at home, or i'm using automix, NOONE cares , As long as everyone is dancing and loving it you did your job. We are entertainers, however you go about it and whatever works best for you and makes your audience happy IS a job well done.
SteadFast 9:55 AM - 19 February, 2010
wanna know why your gay
Nicky Blunt 9:59 AM - 19 February, 2010
Quote:
wanna know why your gay

hahahaha
DjTitoDotCom 2:33 PM - 19 February, 2010
Quote:

Yep just drop the cd off, and go home.

Fake djs/entertainers make all the excuses you want, but if your not PHYSICALLY manipulating the music LIVE- you are a PROGRAMMER and Not a DJ! Yea you can still make money off of using AUTOPILOT software all day, but unless you know how to Manually DJ prehand, you will never get respect amongst those that realize exactly what your doing from Clubgoers, Fans, and DJs alike....
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:37 PM - 19 February, 2010
Quote:
I've been a Club DJ for 10 years now, and it still gets me how old fashioned some of these old school dj's views are. I almost always have an idea of what my list for the night is gonna be, I do take requests and do a little mixing on the fly but overall i pre plan it, I also will use automix whenever i have great music cued up and for part of the night i am a glorified ipod, But does a single person complain?? Absolutely not, When I have a packed to the max club, all 800 people on the floor dancing and loving the music, does it really matter how i'm going about mixing my tracks and if i'm doing it live, mixed it at home, or i'm using automix, NOONE cares , As long as everyone is dancing and loving it you did your job. We are entertainers, however you go about it and whatever works best for you and makes your audience happy IS a job well done.

thats a good idea, you know what you couild do, get the club to set up a computer in the dj booth that you could remote login to, since your not doing anything to interact with the customers anyway you could just do the set from your bedroom (obviously your comfort zone) and never have to put your pants on!! AND STILL GET PAID
DjTitoDotCom 2:44 PM - 19 February, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

thats a good idea, you know what you couild do, get the club to set up a computer in the dj booth that you could remote login to, since your not doing anything to interact with the customers anyway you could just do the set from your bedroom (obviously your comfort zone) and never have to put your pants on!! AND STILL GET PAID

Very Genius Indeed! Like going to Phoenix University in your pijamas... Very well said my friend!
Advocate 5:58 PM - 19 February, 2010
"remote login"

LOL
O.B.1 6:14 PM - 19 February, 2010
you could even DJ "remotely" to multiple locations and REALLY increase your profit margins!
skinnyguy 7:15 PM - 19 February, 2010
Quote:
"remote login"

LOL

laugh now.....it could happen. the technology is already here. just market it right. almost like a live pay-per-view...
Booyah 8:29 PM - 19 February, 2010
Joshua Carl wrote

I have seen some other ppl do it and it disapoints me that some ppl who aren't "DJ" ing are taking paying gigs from people who have honed the skill of mixing & beatmatching for years before they head out to spin a club. Today's technology is allowing ppl to come in out of... See More no where as self proclaimed djs when they haven't spent the time and effort to learn the craft.

You should've typed this in all caps and bold print lol!
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:33 PM - 19 February, 2010
the truth is if you dont enjoy beatmatching, being creative, reading the crowd and over all performing then DJing isnt for you, yes you can make it a job and be easy but youll get a much better level of energy from the crowd with someone whos acutually into it because energy is contagious....anyone who says they preplan their mix and follow it just plain and simple isnt good enough to be spinning out and dosent have confidence in their skils....cept touring djs but they have a different forign crowd every night
SteadFast 10:28 PM - 19 February, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

thats a good idea, you know what you couild do, get the club to set up a computer in the dj booth that you could remote login to, since your not doing anything to interact with the customers anyway you could just do the set from your bedroom (obviously your comfort zone) and never have to put your pants on!! AND STILL NOT GET LAID
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:29 PM - 19 February, 2010
lmfao
Leo Fabrikant 9:18 AM - 24 February, 2010
Holy Crap... This just scared the shit outa me... I was on google and saw:

"a conversation with someone caught playing pre-mixed cds/ auto-mix"... "Leo."

Josh you asshole... you scared the shit outa me... I thought random strangers were going around posting our little debate.... I mean... I felt better when I realized it was you just bringing the same conversation to another place... But still... its like you're trying to sabotage my career... not cool. Could have edited the names...

I know I should have kept my trap shut... regardless of whether Im right or wrong this is bad publicity... But fuck you... Im right =P

Thank god to thoughtful people that took the time to read and understand my side of it and didnt jump to conclusions. Thank you all of you that stood up for me... This thread gives me hope for mankind!

I dont pre-mix anything. No CD or set long mp3 is playing... Im doing all the mixing live, its just practiced before hand. And yes, I used to use Auto Sync. (I still would if I didnt take so much shit for it... And yes, often the time I save with Auto Sync I use to make my mixes more fucking awesome...)

Some context: This discussion happened a month or two after the actual set I played. The set I played was an opening gig at the biggest most prestigious club in Boston. I got this gig about half a year after I decided to learn how to DJ. Suffice it to say I was nervous as shit. And no... I wasnt going to turn the gig down because Joshua Carl and Greg Shneider decided that I'm not ready. With all due respect... Fuck you.

My time slot was the first hour. The club Roxy wasnt doing well and I pretty much knew that there would be no one there to dance that early... My plan coming into the night was to have a really sick 1 hour set prepared and ready to go to impress any promoters or... whoever may be impressed by very slick, interesting mixing that makes the set greater than the sum of its parts. Due to my inexperience, it didnt occur to me to wear my headphones to deflect these kinds of unreasonable complaints.

Anyways, the set I played I had practiced at home 100 times before to make sure it was pristine and error-free. I could have played that set blindfolded, deaf and with my hands tied behind my back. Call that whatever you want, I call it being thorough and caring about my career...

Since then Ive learned how to use timecode CDs on Traktor and I use it (just for show and maybe a little fun. If I had my way people wouldnt give me shit for using Auto Sync when I so choose.) My passion, care and respect for the art of DJing is apparent to anyone who listens to my sets. I suggest anybody that wants to question that listens to them first: soundcloud.com

(Yes thats a shameless plug... I might as well get some good publicity out of this disaster...)

And about playing for free... That was my way in. I may have spun for free but I was opening for some of the biggest names in the business... and I've only been DJing for a year. And after a few free gigs, the management started paying me. Since then I have officially opened for Chus & Ceballos and Boris and got paid for it. All because I started playing for free. I call that good business.
DJ Alkemy 11:19 AM - 24 February, 2010
Quote:

Josh you asshole... you scared the shit outa me... I thought random strangers were going around posting our little debate.... I mean... I felt better when I realized it was you just bringing the same conversation to another place... But still... its like you're trying to sabotage my career... not cool. Could have edited the names...

I know I should have kept my trap shut... regardless of whether Im right or wrong this is bad publicity... But fuck you... Im right =P

Thank god to thoughtful people that took the time to read and understand my side of it and didnt jump to conclusions. Thank you all of you that stood up for me... This thread gives me hope for mankind!

I dont pre-mix anything. No CD or set long mp3 is playing... Im doing all the mixing live, its just practiced before hand. And yes, I used to use Auto Sync. (I still would if I didnt take so much shit for it... And yes, often the time I save with Auto Sync I use to make my mixes more fucking awesome...)

Some context: This discussion happened a month or two after the actual set I played. The set I played was an opening gig at the biggest most prestigious club in Boston. I got this gig about half a year after I decided to learn how to DJ. Suffice it to say I was nervous as shit. And no... I wasnt going to turn the gig down because Joshua Carl and Greg Shneider decided that I'm not ready. With all due respect... Fuck you.

My time slot was the first hour. The club Roxy wasnt doing well and I pretty much knew that there would be no one there to dance that early... My plan coming into the night was to have a really sick 1 hour set prepared and ready to go to impress any promoters or... whoever may be impressed by very slick, interesting mixing that makes the set greater than the sum of its parts. Due to my inexperience, it didnt occur to me to wear my headphones to deflect these kinds of unreasonable complaints.

Anyways, the set I played I had practiced at home 100 times before to make sure it was pristine and error-free. I could have played that set blindfolded, deaf and with my hands tied behind my back. Call that whatever you want, I call it being thorough and caring about my career...

Since then Ive learned how to use timecode CDs on Traktor and I use it (just for show and maybe a little fun. If I had my way people wouldnt give me shit for using Auto Sync when I so choose.) My passion, care and respect for the art of DJing is apparent to anyone who listens to my sets. I suggest anybody that wants to question that listens to them first: soundcloud.com

(Yes thats a shameless plug... I might as well get some good publicity out of this disaster...)

And about playing for free... That was my way in. I may have spun for free but I was opening for some of the biggest names in the business... and I've only been DJing for a year. And after a few free gigs, the management started paying me. Since then I have officially opened for Chus & Ceballos and Boris and got paid for it. All because I started playing for free. I call that good business.

Gotta give the guy some props for explaining it...plus I love that "with all due respect...fuck you" line haha. I think that some DJ's (myself included) need to realise that it is a different era for DJ'ing now. Long gone are the days when you practiced months on end to get a set beatmatched tightly, just one button and BAM!...autosync. But hey, its there and we need to move on. I still say that even if a DJ just autosyncs his stuff it will still show through if he has a good ear for music and what mixes nice with what, they might not get the same respect as some old school DJ's but who the fuck care's, I know I wouldnt..plus, like I said, this is a new era of DJ'ing so most new school DJ's will be doing it too.

To the point you made about headphones..yeah, that is good point..just put them on ya head and act like your doing something lol. Hell...Ive done it many a time...my pair broke that I had (just before I was DJ'ing a night) and I wasnt forking out for another pair so soon so I thought fuck it, with bpm information the way it is you can beatmatch in a second, even without the waveforms...if I wanna get my Jack D on and have a good time while Im DJ'ing and would rather mix the beat quick time instead of hiding the waveforms and mixing old school then so be it, as long as the crowd (and me) are getting pissy drunk and having a good time, who the hell cares.
djSMIRK 1:00 PM - 24 February, 2010
im going to put my flame suit on now..

how is this any different from those djs who just scratch/cut through a prepare list
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:14 PM - 24 February, 2010
Quote:

ya...soooooo....your idea of mixing live....is......just moving the crossfader from left to right??...how epic

[quote The set I played was an opening gig at the biggest most prestigious club in Boston. I got this gig about half a year after I decided to learn how to DJ. .

ladies and gentlemen i present to you the main argument AGAINST auto synch

Quote:
The set I played was an opening gig at the biggest most prestigious club in Boston.

The club Roxy wasnt doing well and I pretty much knew that there would be no one there to dance that early...

so which is it?
Quote:

My plan coming into the night was to have a really sick 1 hour set prepared and ready to go to impress any promoters or... whoever may be impressed by very slick, interesting mixing that makes the set greater than the sum of its parts. Due to my inexperience, it didnt occur to me to wear my headphones to deflect these kinds of unreasonable complaints.

so you practice a preplanned set to death so you sound like you know what your doing to impress promoters who will then hire you so you can suprise them with your lack of ability later...nice plan

Quote:
it didnt occur to me to wear my headphones to deflect these kinds of unreasonable complaints./quote]

i was going to ask you how you cue your music, find out where lyrics come in, make sure the songs sound good together ect ect but im going to assume you have a pirated HD full of only intro in and out tracks

Quote:
My passion, care and respect for the art of DJing is apparent to anyone who listens to my sets.

def dont see any of that at all....sounds more like " My passion, care and respect for the art of getting attn in the spotlight is apparent to anyone who listens to my sets"

Quote:

And about playing for free... That was my way in. I may have spun for free but I was opening for some of the biggest names in the business... and I've only been DJing for a year. And after a few free gigs, the management started paying me. Since then I have officially opened for Chus & Ceballos and Boris and got paid for it. All because I started playing for free. I call that good business

not at all, your lowering the pay bar for everyone and taking jobs from talented DJs, normally that would piss me off but from the sound of it it wont be long before someone else with auto stink comes along and snatches yout $50 a night gig from you by using "good busniess" and taking your gigs for free

My question for you is what seperates you from any other microwave DJ with autostink and a HD full of low quality music?
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:20 PM - 24 February, 2010
Quote:

HEAR YE HEAR YA, after much consideration Ive decided to call together the serato elite and cast my vote for Leo Fabrikant to recieve the Tony Little Golden Duechebag trophy, for performing above and beyond the call of duty in leading the wavy movment . His contributions to the no headphone movment and freejay societety will forever pave the way for talentless losers to get their 10 minutes of fame and get more free drinks than they could ever afford on their own talents and forever lower the bar of ability and respect earned by talented artists,......If anyone wants to contest this motion sey Ney, those in favor raise thy goblets to the sky and give me an EAYYYYYY
SELECT 3:03 PM - 24 February, 2010
Technology has made it all too easy for people with no sense of rhythm to Dj. Its all done with staring at a computer screen now, juggling, scratching, mixing, etc. You dont even have to hear the music anymore. Just stare at the screen.

The wavies are getting way too cocky. 5 years ago they wouldnt have been able to mix kool aid let alone play in a club.

There is no talent in using auto sync, NONE. My little sister could do your exact same set basically. Shes a serious gamer and would crush you. Her wavie game would be so tight and with the auto sync.. forget about it.

Most Djs prepare mixes/sets beforehand, but thats not the issue here. Its the wavie movement that has people playing in clubs with no experience. They are able to match songs with the help of a computer. Nothing seperates them from the next wavie.

Also for the record, nobody I know is even remotely worried about the wavies. Just know your place wavie.
DJ DisGrace 3:36 PM - 24 February, 2010
EAYYYYYY

More than half of your message contains capital letters. To many forum users this means you are SHOUTING your message, and is considered bad forum etiquette. Please consider editing your message so that there are fewer capital letters.

YES IM YELLING
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:38 PM - 24 February, 2010
lol @ arguing with the aumated responce....EAAYYYYYY
Joshua Carl 5:21 PM - 24 February, 2010
Quote:

well well.
this great. I too can use google.
www.djforums.com
over here you say you have been using tracktor for a year:
"In 1 year of Traktor my sets sound better than most DJs that have been using analog for 15 years... "
"The only reason I am here arguing about this is because I have had to deal with people telling me I was doing it all wrong. When I started trying to get gigs and I was using Virtual DJ and Traktor, people kept telling me I wont get anywhere and that I have to use CDs or Vinyl and that no one would respect me if I used those programs.

Its a good fucking thing I didnt listen to those people. Because I am so far ahead now using Traktor in what I can do than I would have been had I stopped learning it. And I am so far ahead of all those people that told me I shouldn't use it..."

i was gonna try make sense of this.
but after reading what you wrote here, on facebook, and on DJ Forums its almost
like 3 different people wrote it.

I would like to sincerely apologize for bringing your name over, I didnt think that
seeing how you so adminantly stood your ground having your name attatched
(like the rest of the people there) would upset any. but I didnt ask first before I
shared this conversation...so sorry.

as far as "sabotaging your career".... we'll let the djs of the world read your contributing and weigh in on that. like they did at DJForums.
I could really go on & on about the inconsistencies in your post.
you seem to have a habbit of embelishing, stretching the facts and putting a spin
on things...
Underbar? The most Prestigous club in the city?
thats quite a knock against Gypsy (where AM had a bi-monthly residency)
venu & rumor, the roxy, pearl or how about a little room called estate?

btw, the argument that BPM sync is good so I can do "other things" doesent fly
here, so dont bother... we've all already called BS on that unless your someone
doing a live PA who is basically producing live.
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:30 PM - 24 February, 2010
Quote:

btw, the argument that BPM sync is good so I can do "other things" .

ive been hearing this argument for the entire 2 years ive been on the boards and have yet to hear what these "things" they are doing are
DVDjHardy 5:32 PM - 24 February, 2010
Quote:

well well.
this great. I too can use google.
www.djforums.com
over here you say you have been using tracktor for a year:
"In 1 year of Traktor my sets sound better than most DJs that have been using analog for 15 years... "
"The only reason I am here arguing about this is because I have had to deal with people telling me I was doing it all wrong. When I started trying to get gigs and I was using Virtual DJ and Traktor, people kept telling me I wont get anywhere and that I have to use CDs or Vinyl and that no one would respect me if I used those programs.

Its a good fucking thing I didnt listen to those people. Because I am so far ahead now using Traktor in what I can do than I would have been had I stopped learning it. And I am so far ahead of all those people that told me I shouldn't use it..."

i was gonna try make sense of this.
but after reading what you wrote here, on facebook, and on DJ Forums its almost
like 3 different people wrote it.

Owned.
Leo Fabrikant 10:45 PM - 24 February, 2010
Damnit... Why couldnt everyone just agree with me and say sorry... It would save so much time...

Quote:
ya...soooooo....your idea of mixing live....is......just moving the crossfader from left to right??...how epic

M.Bezzle, I started writing an answer to this by giving an in depth description of how I mix... But it was taking real long and I realized... "why the fuck am I explaining how to mix a quality House music set to someone that thinks mixing only involves choosing a track, beatmatching and crossfading..." So I decided to stop. Sorry. I will say this: Listen to my sets and tell me that they aren't mixed very well. How about I give you the tracks in some of my mixes, and you try to mix them better? Then we let the SSL community decide which sounds better?

Thats going to be my theme for the day. The proof is in the pudding. I will do some talking because its fun and I like to pad my ego, but its all going to be talk, on both sides. The only legitimate beef anyone here can have has to be directed at the quality of my work, so again, heres my work: soundcloud.com
Criticize that.

M-beazle, Roxy was the most prestigious Electronic Dance Music club in Boston. It is known world wide. When big name Trance or House DJs come to Boston, they play at Roxy. At the time that I got my gig there, it was not doing good business because the Electronic Dance Music scene in Boston has been shit for the last couple of years....

Josh... Im a fucking House DJ. Underbar is the most prestigious House music club left in Boston since Roxy closed down (other than maybe Rise but thats afterhours) as evidenced by the big name HOUSE talent that plays there every week. This week they have Oscar G and Richie Santana, last week they had Boris and the week before they had Chus & Ceballos. If you were not aware, these are all House music superstars... I dont give 2 shits about where AM played. No disrespect... I just dont care.

Quote:
His contributions to the no headphone movment and freejay societety will forever pave the way for talentless losers to get their 10 minutes of fame and get more free drinks than they could ever afford on their own talents and forever lower the bar of ability and respect earned by talented artists

M Bezzle, let me quote myself from the djforums thread that Joshua brought up:

Quote:
"Yes... it will lead inexperienced noobs who are naturally more talented artists to take gigs away from experienced, untalented artists.... Which is a GOOD THING! If I use CDs and a DJ walks into my booth and plays a better set using Auto Sync, I should think:

"Damn... I wish I had thought of playing that set... cuz that set was good...."

Not:

"oh... well he uses Auto sync so im better than him... even though he played a better set...."

Get it? If you are worried about losing your gig to an inexperienced kid using Auto Sync, then either:

1. You suck... and you need to get better at performing quality sets. Or:

2. The kid is more talented than you, and he deserves to get the gig.

Thats the bottom line. The fact is that there is SOOOOO much more involved in playing a good set than beat matching. So if you are any good, some kid that has a computer do the beatmatching for him, still shouldnt be anywhere near as good as you.

About playing for free... if Jay Z called you up and offered you a free DJ gig, and you didnt take it, you would be an idiot. And yes, the DJs that play at Underbar are like the Jay-Zs of House music.

SELECT,

Quote:
There is no talent in using auto sync, NONE. My little sister could do your exact same set basically.

Challenge accepted. If this were true, you would be right. But the fact is, I am confident enough in my ability as a DJ to know that none of you can play a House set anywhere near as well as I (and if you can, you should be seriously pursuing a House DJ career...) The fact that you dont realize all the other shit involved in making a good set outside of beatmatching shows your quality. My sets are all here for you to see. soundcloud.com I challenge anyone of you to make a better one. Find me the best House music DJs you know and ask them to make a better one. The proof is in the pudding...

Quote:
Also for the record, nobody I know is even remotely worried about the wavies.

Thats what Im saying! If I suck as you say and the "true DJs" are good, then theres absolutely nothing to worry about... So stop complaining.

Now to Josh, if theres any inconsistencies in anything I said, bring them up. But I warn you... some of these "inconsistencies" might just be you being stupid... such as:

Quote:
over here you say you have been using tracktor for a year

Timecode is a feature of Traktor. I was using Traktor long before I was using Timecode in Traktor... Get it?

Quote:
I would like to sincerely apologize for bringing your name over, I didnt think that seeing how you so adminantly stood your ground having your name attatched
(like the rest of the people there) would upset any. but I didnt ask first before I
shared this conversation...so sorry."

It wouldnt be a big deal if you werent basically spreading false rumors about me. I made it very clear in that discussion that I didnt have anything pre-recorded, and yet your title to this thread was: "a conversation with someone caught playing pre-mixed cds/ auto-mix"

Quote:
btw, the argument that BPM sync is good so I can do "other things" doesent fly here, so dont bother...

I dont give a fuck where it flies. All I know is Auto Sync lets me do shit you cant do on analog. Either because its just impossible or because it frees up my focus to concentrate on more important shit.

The real question is: Who gives a fuck if someone is able to beatmatch. Any scrub can learn how to beatmatch. Its the easiest fucking thing in the world (which is why it blows my mind that people say it took them months or years to get it...) I learned how to do it in maybe 2 days... Hell, I even learned how to beatmatch audio to visual. I can match a track on Traktor to a track I only hear on the monitors by matching the visual representation on my screen to what I am hearing through the monitors. I can almost guarantee you that you cant do that... It must mean Im better than you...
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:56 PM - 24 February, 2010
slow down there kayne, youre already a shoe win for the tony little duechebag award, no need to keep campaigning for it, so pull your head out of your ass a hit so you can hear your name called for the presentation
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:58 PM - 24 February, 2010
Quote:

About playing for free... if Jay Z called you up and offered you a free DJ gig, and you didnt take it, you would be an idiot. And yes, the DJs that play at Underbar are like the Jay-Zs of House music.

acutually i would turn it down, jay z as well as the people promoting the party have more than enough money to pay me my fee and then some, not only would i not play for free but i would double my rates on them, if they didnt wanna pay then they didnt want to use me for my ability anyway they just needed a sucker who is dumb enough to play for free and they can whore someone else out
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:59 PM - 24 February, 2010
Quote:

It wouldnt be a big deal if you werent basically spreading false rumors about me. I made it very clear in that discussion that I didnt have anything pre-recorded, and yet your title to this thread was: "a conversation with someone caught playing pre-mixed cds/ auto-mix"

what part wasnt true you admit to using automix
Dj-M.Bezzle 11:00 PM - 24 February, 2010
Quote:

All I know is Auto Sync lets me do shit you cant do on analog. Either because its just impossible or because it frees up my focus to concentrate on more important shit.

what is impossible to do without automix?? nothing.....also what more important shit do you have to do that is consumed by acutually doing what a dj is supposed to do?
Dj-M.Bezzle 11:01 PM - 24 February, 2010
Quote:

Any scrub can learn how to beatmatch. Its the easiest fucking thing in the world

obviously it was too hard for you to learn
Dj-M.Bezzle 11:02 PM - 24 February, 2010
Quote:

I can match a track on Traktor to a track I only hear on the monitors by matching the visual representation on my screen to what I am hearing through the monitors.

WOW you can match up lines.....everyone bow down before the DJ hero god!!
Dj-M.Bezzle 11:04 PM - 24 February, 2010
Quote:

The real question is: Who gives a fuck if someone is able to beatmatch. Any scrub can learn how to beatmatch. Its the easiest fucking thing in the world (which is why it blows my mind that people say it took them months or years to get it...) I learned how to do it in maybe 2 days... Hell, I even learned how to beatmatch audio to visual. I can match a track on Traktor to a track I only hear on the monitors by matching the visual representation on my screen to what I am hearing through the monitors. I can almost guarantee you that you cant do that... It must mean Im better than you

question: how often have you mixed with real vinyl....without beat counters, laptops, cdjs ect
Joshua Carl 11:24 PM - 24 February, 2010
you dont have to be nancy drew to see through you.
8th grade math:

dj forums :
"In 1 year of Traktor my sets " this suggests u started using timecodes or not
but tracktor a year ago.
so we'll make it simple, call it January 2009

SSL forums:
"This discussion happened a month or two after the actual set I played. The set I played was an opening gig at the biggest most prestigious club in Boston. I got this gig about half a year after I decided to learn how to DJ."
so, we'll say a month before this converation, so we'll keep it simple and say
this statement puts the start of things at June 2009

ssl forums:
Since then Ive learned how to use timecode CDs on Traktor.
and here you say u've added the timecode to the mix for maybe a month now?
(this conversation happend like 2 months ago)

I could play point-and -counterpoint all day with you Leo.

I didnt twist any of your words.
I didnt put my own spin.
I said, here: heres the conversation...thoughts?
these are your words, my words, gregs words.
[greg]"I watched you play for about 1 1/2 hours with out headphones... And you told me it was pre recorded at your house.... "
where in the world how could it be a FALSE RUMOR?
these are YOUR WORDS in the conversation here.

you can try to light me up as much as you want...I hope it helps you out.
I was running the cities "most prestigious" all house record store when u were
in jr high, I worked for Ministry of sound 3x longer than you have been DJ'ing.
and more importantly I still hold 3 residencies that roll over 500 people a night
and get paid accordingly... do some homework before you start talking son.
circle jerking with a handful of djs with less than 3 years experience under their belt is not homework, and its not going to get you anywhere.

the difference between an amature and a professional in ANY field is a professional
receives PROPER compensation for his work... so, enjoy being an amature.

BTW, after talking to Greg again.
who can tell the difference between a premixed set, and someone using autosync.
he said you were def NOT playing off a set list (which would have been fine)
the mix was made in the cush environment of the bedroom.

and if you look around here, you'll notice Ive never been about the medium that you use to get your sound out... cds, vinyl, midi, controller... but when you are
literally doing nothing except picking the songs and tweaking effects. dont call
yourself a DJ, your a programmer.

and why... why is this a sore spot for many djs.
mostly because you are trying to justify being a wavie - undercutter.
cant just say... yeah, Im new... this is all I know, how would I do it better.
If you had 8 years under your belt we could say "hey, this guy knows his shit, he has the experience to back up what he's saying"
but your not, your a self-admitted rookie trying to justify to seasoned pro's that you
know what your talking about...
Psyphris 11:40 PM - 24 February, 2010
zzzzzzzzing!
dj hes 12:21 AM - 25 February, 2010
Quote:
matching the visual representation on my screen to what I am hearing through the monitors. I can almost guarantee you that you cant do that... It must mean Im better than you...

Good lord I finally read everything. FUCK this kid. he is a scrub. Leo you little cock fag...you will never get any respect in this business because you are a lying backtracking arrogant bitch. I dont even have to go into detail because you are not worth the time.

you are NOT a DJ. you are a joke and you have some nerve trying to talk shit like you have any skill..proof in the pudding...yeah. you suck.

You are a Milli Vanilli fake ass dj with no skills. learned to beat match in 2 days? RIGHT. I cant wait for someone to dig up video of you doing a show and air guitaring every track played. You are obviously a lying fag shitter who needs a drink spilled on your gear.
dj hes 12:21 AM - 25 February, 2010
Oh and Leo...Josh owned you. crawl in a corner and die.
Leo Fabrikant 12:45 AM - 25 February, 2010
M.Bezzle

If you would turn down the exposure from DJing for Jay Z, then you are already doing pretty well for yourself. When I started playing for free, I was a nobody. No one knew my name. Still am. Exposure is more important at this point than $. Its simple fucking business. Playing at Underbar got me connections in New York, it got me connections with promoters in Boston. It gave me credibility with those promoters because they heard me play great live sets opening for some of the biggest names in House. Now when I approach these promoters they know me and want to work with me. Im done explaining my career choices.

What impossible? Beatmatching a track in 0 time... For example: This Saturday, opening up for Boris. I was struggling to find a track that worked really well to mix into from the current track playing. I was running out of track. I could have:
A. Looped the track to give myself more time, reducing the quality of my set.
B. Mixed in the track I was currently looking at, even though I was unhappy with the way they went together, thus reducing the quality of my set.
C. Continue looking trying out other tracks knowing I could have them mixed instantly if I found it.

So what did I do? C. I checked the next track and was happy with the way they sounded. Instead of taking 20 seconds to beatmatch letting the outgoing track become repetitive, I used auto sync and began bringing in the new track immediately.

Another example: soundcloud.com

Miami Mix, at 16:10, 2 tracks are playing. I am focused on beatjumping on one of the tracks to shorten a repetitive section. The moment I finish that I activate a Delay Freeze to fade out one of the tracks at 17:10. At 17:20 I am fading in the next track on beat. Made possible by Auto Sync.

Quote:

It occurs to me that people didnt understand what I mean by audio to visual beatmatching. Why dont you and DJ Hes go try it out. Put a track up on Serato to see the visual representation of the beats on your computer. Then put a CD into some CD player. Without listening to the track you have loaded on Serato, match it up with the Track you hear playing from the CD. You have no visual representation of the track playing. This is significantly more difficult than matching two beats. Because you are matching the audio of one track to the video of another. Shits not easy. But you both missed the fucking point. The point is...

It doesnt fucking matter that I can match beats, audio to audio or audio to visual. The point is... matching beats is the least creative thing a DJ can do. It takes no creativity, no imagination, no sense of good music. So why the fuck should I care if a DJ does it manually or with a computer? Either way it sounds the same. DJs should be focusing on getting better at those things that require creativity and affect the quality of the set.

Ive never mixed with Vynil. I learned how to beatmatch without any visual cues using Traktors tempo controls: pitch bend buttons and arrow keys to control the Pitch. Then I learned Timecode CDs.

Josh, stop trying to pretend you aren't an asshole.

I started learning sometime around Feb 2009. The Roxy gig was in Nov 2009. I said half a year, its actually around 9 months. OH NO!!!!! THE LIES!!!! Sorry that I dont record exact dates in my life to use in internet debates.

Quote:
[greg]"I watched you play for about 1 1/2 hours with out headphones... And you told me it was pre recorded at your house.... "

So... no where in that whole facebook argument did I deny Gregs claims? No where did I say... TO YOU, that I didnt pre-record anything, and that I only practiced and prepared what I was going to play? That didnt happen? So you feel totally justified in coming to this thread and blatantly accusing me Pre-recording? Like I said, stop pretending that youre not an asshole. Embrace it...

Quote:
I was running the cities "most prestigious" all house record store when u were in jr high, I worked for Ministry of sound 3x longer than you have been DJ'ing.
and more importantly I still hold 3 residencies that roll over 500 people a night
circle jerking with a handful of djs with less than 3 years experience under their belt is not homework, and its not going to get you anywhere.

I dont know what you mean by "circle jerking with a handful of DJs with less than 3 years of experience under their belt..." Lets skip that. What I see here is you trying to show how awesome you are. Which is great. I did that too. Like I said, I was going to use this thread to pad my ego, try to make myself look better in the eyes of all the people you tried to skewer me in front of. But heres the difference.

When this started, I never gave you or Greg shit. I never said you were doing something wrong. I didnt start this thing acting like im the Shit and belittling you. Actually, go back and read that facebook argument. I did EVERYTHING in my power to seem modest and eager to learn. Because I was trying to turn Gregs anger into something productive. To try to learn something. But instead, you and Greg continued to be assholes. Instead of being nice and helping me along, which I gave you every opportunity to do, the two of you, along with some others, were set on being complete fucking dick heads.

So excuse me for standing up for myself... Sir Master DJ Sir.

Quote:

Like I said before and like I say now. Nothing was prerecorded. Every mix was done live at Roxy on Traktor. The mixes had been practiced earlier at home. Thats all. When I have what I consider an important gig, I come prepared with good sets. Sue me. The fact that Greg assumes I pre-recorded tells me something about him...

And I wasnt going to go here... but fuck it. Greg, if you're reading this, I dont mean to be rude. I am being totally sincere when I say the following. The kind of mixing that you do, is unacceptable for me. You let tracks go to their outros and you mix intro with outro. You lose energy between tracks. People are left standing listening to a simple kick drum. This is one of the reasons that I use Traktor and I prepare my sets at home. I feel like I have failed if I let a transition lose that energy. I am not telling you what to do or how to do it. And I usually wouldnt even be mentioning this because my mother always said, if you dont have something nice to say, dont say it.

But when I am being told that I am cheating or doing something wrong... by people that play worse sets than me... I feel the need to defend myself.

Josh, again, stop trying to pretend like youre not an asshole. Nobody called you out. You're the one that brought me into this flinging false accusations. Stop trying to justify your mistakes, and in general, stop acting like you are in any position to determine what a real DJ is. And that goes for all of you. If you want to discuss the advantages or disadvantages of technology or strategies such as Auto Sync or practicing your sets b4 the set, go ahead. But dont expect me to take it lightly when you accuse me of being a fake.

DJ hes... you're an idiot. Learn reading comprehension please.
Djaward 12:50 AM - 25 February, 2010
I aint reading all of that..
Leo Fabrikant 12:52 AM - 25 February, 2010
Yea... this is rediculous... im letting my Ego get the best of me. This is time I could be spending preparing for my next show.
the_black_one 12:52 AM - 25 February, 2010
Quote:
M.Bezzle

If you would turn down the exposure from DJing for Jay Z, then you are already doing pretty well for yourself. When I started playing for free, I was a nobody. No one knew my name. Still am. Exposure is more important at this point than $. Its simple fucking business. Playing at Underbar got me connections in New York, it got me connections with promoters in Boston. It gave me credibility with those promoters because they heard me play great live sets opening for some of the biggest names in House. Now when I approach these promoters they know me and want to work with me. Im done explaining my career choices.

What impossible? Beatmatching a track in 0 time... For example: This Saturday, opening up for Boris. I was struggling to find a track that worked really well to mix into from the current track playing. I was running out of track. I could have:
A. Looped the track to give myself more time, reducing the quality of my set.
B. Mixed in the track I was currently looking at, even though I was unhappy with the way they went together, thus reducing the quality of my set.
C. Continue looking trying out other tracks knowing I could have them mixed instantly if I found it.

So what did I do? C. I checked the next track and was happy with the way they sounded. Instead of taking 20 seconds to beatmatch letting the outgoing track become repetitive, I used auto sync and began bringing in the new track immediately.

Another example: soundcloud.com

Miami Mix, at 16:10, 2 tracks are playing. I am focused on beatjumping on one of the tracks to shorten a repetitive section. The moment I finish that I activate a Delay Freeze to fade out one of the tracks at 17:10. At 17:20 I am fading in the next track on beat. Made possible by Auto Sync.

Quote:

It occurs to me that people didnt understand what I mean by audio to visual beatmatching. Why dont you and DJ Hes go try it out. Put a track up on Serato to see the visual representation of the beats on your computer. Then put a CD into some CD player. Without listening to the track you have loaded on Serato, match it up with the Track you hear playing from the CD. You have no visual representation of the track playing. This is significantly more difficult than matching two beats. Because you are matching the audio of one track to the video of another. Shits not easy. But you both missed the fucking point. The point is...

It doesnt fucking matter that I can match beats, audio to audio or audio to visual. The point is... matching beats is the least creative thing a DJ can do. It takes no creativity, no imagination, no sense of good music. So why the fuck should I care if a DJ does it manually or with a computer? Either way it sounds the same. DJs should be focusing on getting better at those things that require creativity and affect the quality of the set.

Ive never mixed with Vynil. I learned how to beatmatch without any visual cues using Traktors tempo controls: pitch bend buttons and arrow keys to control the Pitch. Then I learned Timecode CDs.

Josh, stop trying to pretend you aren't an asshole.

I started learning sometime around Feb 2009. The Roxy gig was in Nov 2009. I said half a year, its actually around 9 months. OH NO!!!!! THE LIES!!!! Sorry that I dont record exact dates in my life to use in internet debates.

Quote:

So... no where in that whole facebook argument did I deny Gregs claims? No where did I say... TO YOU, that I didnt pre-record anything, and that I only practiced and prepared what I was going to play? That didnt happen? So you feel totally justified in coming to this thread and blatantly accusing me Pre-recording? Like I said, stop pretending that youre not an asshole. Embrace it...

Quote:
I was running the cities "most prestigious" all house record store when u were in jr high, I worked for Ministry of sound 3x longer than you have been DJ'ing.

I dont know what you mean by "circle jerking with a handful of DJs with less than 3 years of experience under their belt..." Lets skip that. What I see here is you trying to show how awesome you are. Which is great. I did that too. Like I said, I was going to use this thread to pad my ego, try to make myself look better in the eyes of all the people you tried to skewer me in front of. But heres the difference.

When this started, I never gave you or Greg shit. I never said you were doing something wrong. I didnt start this thing acting like im the Shit and belittling you. Actually, go back and read that facebook argument. I did EVERYTHING in my power to seem modest and eager to learn. Because I was trying to turn Gregs anger into something productive. To try to learn something. But instead, you and Greg continued to be assholes. Instead of being nice and helping me along, which I gave you every opportunity to do, the two of you, along with some others, were set on being complete fucking dick heads.

So excuse me for standing up for myself... Sir Master DJ Sir.

Quote:

Like I said before and like I say now. Nothing was prerecorded. Every mix was done live at Roxy on Traktor. The mixes had been practiced earlier at home. Thats all. When I have what I consider an important gig, I come prepared with good sets. Sue me. The fact that Greg assumes I pre-recorded tells me something about him...

And I wasnt going to go here... but fuck it. Greg, if you're reading this, I dont mean to be rude. I am being totally sincere when I say the following. The kind of mixing that you do, is unacceptable for me. You let tracks go to their outros and you mix intro with outro. You lose energy between tracks. People are left standing listening to a simple kick drum. This is one of the reasons that I use Traktor and I prepare my sets at home. I feel like I have failed if I let a transition lose that energy. I am not telling you what to do or how to do it. And I usually wouldnt even be mentioning this because my mother always said, if you dont have something nice to say, dont say it.

But when I am being told that I am cheating or doing something wrong... by people that play worse sets than me... I feel the need to defend myself.

Josh, again, stop trying to pretend like youre not an asshole. Nobody called you out. You're the one that brought me into this flinging false accusations. Stop trying to justify your mistakes, and in general, stop acting like you are in any position to determine what a real DJ is. And that goes for all of you. If you want to discuss the advantages or disadvantages of technology or strategies such as Auto Sync or practicing your sets b4 the set, go ahead. But dont expect me to take it lightly when you accuse me of being a fake.

DJ hes... you're an idiot. Learn reading comprehension please.

cliff notes please!
12:57 AM, 25 Feb 2010
Discussion locked by ChrisD
Serato, Support
ChrisD 1:00 AM - 25 February, 2010
OK, clearly some of you are unable to keep things civil so I'm locking thread.

dj hes, your comments in particular are unacceptable and if I see you making personal attacks at anyone on this forum again I'll ban you.