DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Can u fix warp vinyl???

DJ C.A.P 3:18 AM - 29 September, 2006
I have one of my seratop vinyl warped!!1

Is ther any way u can fix it?

I was fine when I bought it djed all well. But A week later I got to dj in my room and notice that the vinyl is warp. Is there any way I can fix this????
xalent69 4:54 AM - 29 September, 2006
Out of all the remedies, none I think leave the vinyl like it should be. Might as well shell out the money and get a new one.
djeyvind 7:12 AM - 29 September, 2006
on a hot summer day.. leave it in its cardboard and stack it between 20 books of a heavyweight encyclopedia let it sit there in the sun for 2 or 3 days.. it should be ok then.
mexicannnnnn 12:55 PM - 29 September, 2006
Another way is to get 2 large peices of glass. Put the vinyl between the glass and put it in the oven at low temp for a bit.
Dj Karl-R 3:46 PM - 29 September, 2006
i have done all of the above mention... the oven trick is alittle hard melted my first 2 pieces trying it.... i done these back in the day now i say f it and buy a new one unless its a classic hard to find then i record it to digital then attempt to repair it.

the cold nor the heat our friends of our vinyl i remember when i first started dj'n i left my bag half full in my trunk and it was frickin cold in chicago 2 days later cracked records never do that again.
scotty B 4:03 PM - 29 September, 2006
Since the Serato Vinyl is on $10-12 bucks it's A no Brainer.

Buy a new one. it's not worth the hassle. I would actually buy a 2nd set to have just in case.
mexicannnnnn 5:13 PM - 29 September, 2006
Yeah I said "low temp"...
MusicMeister 7:31 PM - 29 September, 2006
For Serato Vinyl just pick up another pair. They're cheap and plentiful....

But I agree with Mexicannnnnnnn....

I've tried a couple different things but with lightly warped vinyl I'd use 2 sheets of glass and put the oven on it's lowest setting. You can also use wax paper, a cookie sheet and a heavy book. Anything that is FLAT so you don't damage the album.

BTW, if nothing else, put it in the sun with a heavy object on top of it and wait....

NOTE: You HAVE to watch it closely though. Once the vinyl gets flat again it it gets screwed up REAL quick unless you pull it right away. Also note that just trying this can hose a record.
DJ C.A.P 7:57 PM - 29 September, 2006
Uhhh.. I think I'll just buy another pair next time in guitar center.

I'm gon try the summer trick though.
s42000 8:28 PM - 29 September, 2006
Yeah, just buy a new one. This is an age old problem in the vinyl world. These 'remedies' tend to cause more trouble than they are worth.

I just know not to fiddle with warped vinyl just let it play, or use the good side. I cannot imagine 'treating' the 1000s of warped vinyl I got.
DJ Unique 3:25 AM - 30 September, 2006
Once I was DJing at a High School lunchtime event and it was so hot that my records started warping before my eyes as they were spinning. The weird thing is that they started to straighten out after a bit. Someone helped me out with some shade after a few minutes though.
DJ C.A.P 5:41 AM - 30 September, 2006
I'm gon see If I can exchange it

I'll say it came that way. The vinyl is only a week old so I think I'll exhange it tomoroww
rlaci 8:37 AM - 1 October, 2006
I've the same problem, with boxed 2 vinyls.
I don't know why
Hidden Driveways 5:27 PM - 17 September, 2008
Quote:
I've the same problem, with boxed 2 vinyls.
I don't know why

This is an ancient thread, so obviously this isn't a widespread problem, but one of my timecode vinyls warped a little bit recently. It's my fault. The record was sitting in a bin, and the bin wasn't full. The other records in the bin were leaning to one side. The timecode was at the end and had too much pressure applied to it. It sat in there like that for a couple of weeks.

It still works just fine, it just looks kind of bad. I have to say it though, it warped really easily. The reason I left it in the bin like that is that I've never had a record warp before when resting in that position. I have a lot of records. I've collected them my entire life.

Is there a reason the timecode vinyls are so flim-flam? Does the timecode work better on thin wax? I wish there was an option for a 180-gram version of the timecode records for $15. I'd get them.