DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

did anybody notice prices on technics lately

BERTO 12:33 AM - 26 December, 2009
WTF they shot up so much anybody know why?
this is bullshit now i really cant buy any
BERTO 12:36 AM - 26 December, 2009
the mk5s where like 549 or something, now at guitar center, pssl, and musicians friend they are like 749 to 899 which is stupid high
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:16 AM - 26 December, 2009
Quote:

increase in demand mabye??
BERTO 1:17 AM - 26 December, 2009
u think so ?
i wouldnt buy them now for that much
Detroitbootybass 1:29 AM - 26 December, 2009
The 'discontinuation' rumor + profit motives (both for the manufacturer and the retail shops) = price increase

Just a theory, but the most valid one at the moment.
BIGREDCT 1:31 AM - 26 December, 2009
I was going to buy a pair of m5g's from pssl and they wanted $2k.

The rep was telling me they were being discontinued and prices were only going higher so I shouldn't wait.

I dont think I've ever laughed so hard in my life.
lost vegas 1:32 AM - 26 December, 2009
Well since no one ever got a "real" hard answer from panasonic/technics on weather or not they are stopping production or if it was all bullshit the high prices could just be part of a supply and demand reality or the true death of technics... Who knows?!?!?
BERTO 1:41 AM - 26 December, 2009
fuck em seriously i wont pay 9 bills for a turntable, no way, i dont care if they last 10 or 20 years not goin to drop 2 grand on them rather get mb pro
ViS 2:05 AM - 26 December, 2009
Quote:
fuck em seriously i wont pay 9 bills for a turntable, no way, i dont care if they last 10 or 20 years not goin to drop 2 grand on them rather get mb pro

this statement makes no sense you wont buy a turntable that last 20+ years for 900 but you will buy a computer that will be outdated in less then two years for 1200-2500
ernie 2:09 AM - 26 December, 2009
me too $700 for turntable is too much. i will just buy TTX 500 if ever i really need a new pair of turntables. or wait for denon or pioneer maybe it will be available soon
DJ Dub Cowboy 2:13 AM - 26 December, 2009
I have a feeling there will be a new model soon to consolidate the line. Perhaps the states will get the MK6. Just a guess...
BERTO 2:29 AM - 26 December, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

this statement makes no sense you wont buy a turntable that last 20+ years for 900 but you will buy a computer that will be outdated in less then two years for 1200-2500

im saying if i get something its for the now, i could use a new mac more then new turntables, yes i want them but i need a macbook as well and for the price i would ge tthe computer.
BERTO 2:32 AM - 26 December, 2009
as far as durability goes yea they last a long time, and yea for 20 years its a low price given the amount of time things last for nowadays but i just dont have the 9 bills to drop on them. im basically looking at the amount im going to pay not durability
ViS 2:39 AM - 26 December, 2009
you could always try to find em used i found a set for my 2 year old son to play with the set was a 1200mk2 and a 1210mk2 new tone arms and needles and he's good to go got the two turntables for less then 300bucks via craigs list
BERTO 3:00 AM - 26 December, 2009
yea most likely going that route
DJ Dub Cowboy 3:26 AM - 26 December, 2009
The truth of the matter is that Technics 1200s are selling for the price they were always meant to.

Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price.

However the 1200 has typically had a street price just above wholesale value. As a retailer, I would make maybe $10-30 selling a 1200. I still sold them just to make my customers happy and with the hope that they would buy needles, slipmats, records, etc in addition which all carry a sensible mark-up for a retail business.

However, today there are far fewer places selling them than 10 years ago and there is less of a reason to discount it so heavily. Add to that the recent rumor that they were discontinued (confirmed to NOT be) and now more than ever is there incentive to get full price on selling a 1200. I would always have 2 in stock and just replace them when they sold. But if I only could get two more ever, I would mark the price up because I'll never have a chance to make that sale again (even if there is a small profit margin)

I know that at least one of my distributors doesn't even carry them anymore, which means all the shops that ordered from them can either no longer get them or are forced to buy elsewhere. Someone in the supply line has to have the capitol to buy the inventory and sit on them. When its an item that has very little mark up, money is more wisely spent on stocking VCIs, midi controllers, and low and mid grade mixers and turntables.

The TTM57 is very similar.. despite the list price, you can generally buy a 57 for less than $1200 (street price). The wholesale price is not much less than that.
Let me put it to you this way: I can buy a TTM57 from 3 different wholesalers, but I got a better price from PSSL becuase they deal in higher volume and therefore get a slightly better price than me.

As far as the 1200s. I have been in the market for a new set for a couple of months. Due to cash flow issues (buying too many control records...just kidding I have other reasons) I have not been able to buy them. When I started looking around I could get 1210M5Gs for less than $600 at several places. Now that price is closer to $700, and still I will buy a pair.

Why?

The 2 1200M3Ds I own now have served me for over 1000 gigs over 10 years. I have had every (vinyl) DJ that has come to Humboldt play on them and have rented them out more times than I can count. They still work like they are brand new. I just want a set to leave at the house. I know they are worth it.
DJ Dub Cowboy 3:27 AM - 26 December, 2009
I should have broke that up into a couple posts, sorry if I hurt your brain
DJ_Phenom 4:24 AM - 26 December, 2009
I had a pair of 1200 MK2s in high school i bought with money i saved up for like 7-800 dont really remember. When I first went to college wasn't doing much with DJing and was short on cash so I sold them.
The more time I got away from school the more I missed Djing. So I eventually did alot of research and decided to buy serato and a new DJ set up. I read reviews and looked for what I could in my price range for new equipment. And I'm probably about to get ripped on for this but I don't care, I bought a pair of Stanton's T120c turntables based on some good reviews and a good deal I found online $675. I have had them for 3 years and been nothing but happy with them. More torque, more pitch adjustment, pitch bend(fav feature), and adjustable start/stop speed. Oh yeah and REMOVABLE rcas and no ground wire!
This information will not likely mean anything to alot of technics die hards, which most of the DJs on here who have been around for long time are, with good reason, but these are good tables. I liked my 1200s I had before, but I find my stantons to be more convenient and just as quality.
My opinion may not mean much to you being a 23yr old intermediate DJ, but maybe Nick Nack's review at gigacrate after owning them for 4 yrs will.
www.gigacrate.com

Also sorry for the long post. Merry Xmas.
sixxx 5:04 AM - 26 December, 2009
Quote:
Well since no one ever got a "real" hard answer from panasonic/technics on weather or not they are stopping production or if it was all bullshit the high prices could just be part of a supply and demand reality or the true death of technics... Who knows?!?!?

Untrue. DJ Woody from this here board sent an e-mail to Panasonic and did get a response. they're NOT being discontinued. So, end of thread.

They're jackin' up the prices cause of the rumor and because people are too stupid to follow rumors.
DJ Dub Cowboy 10:37 AM - 26 December, 2009
Because they can.

Nuff said
DJ Jonasty 3:31 PM - 26 December, 2009
Oh snap you're right, $999 for an M5G on pssl.. Wowsers
BERTO 5:11 PM - 26 December, 2009
dub they dont make 10 to 30 bucks they make like 30 percent
BERTO 5:14 PM - 26 December, 2009
and the msrp is 599 on them which means they are making even more profit now and nowbody sells them list price its always been lower then that except now, nobody buys the 57sl at the listed 1799 they are 1249
skratchworx 6:01 PM - 26 December, 2009
Sixxx - there are also 2 other "official" statements saying that they are discontinuing.

It just feels like a Panasonic ruse to stimulate sales and for retailers to jack up the prices accordingly. This is probably one of those times where retailers get to make a decent margin on Technics like they do with other decks.
BERTO 6:03 PM - 26 December, 2009
even if they are being discontinued which is unlikely due to the amount they have sold the price is still messed up
sixxx 6:16 PM - 26 December, 2009
Quote:
even if they are being discontinued which is unlikely due to the amount they have sold the price is still messed up

Supply and Demand. It's as simple as that.
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:16 PM - 26 December, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

this statement makes no sense you wont buy a turntable that last 20+ years for 900 but you will buy a computer that will be outdated in less then two years for tel:1200-2500

ya but at least the computer is a newer better model not a computer from 1982 that that they just decided to Jack up the price on
Banana_Peter 7:01 PM - 26 December, 2009
Thank God I didn't sell mine
DJ Dub Cowboy 8:35 PM - 26 December, 2009
Quote:
and the msrp is 599 on them which means they are making even more profit now and nowbody sells them list price its always been lower then that except now, nobody buys the 57sl at the listed 1799 they are 1249

List price for MK2s is $699 and has been there for a while
MK5s are $749
M5Gs are $899

so yeah, PSSL is jacking their prices
www.pssl.com

when I had my retail store, street price on a 1200 was $399 and my dealer price was $379 plus I had to ship to the tune of $13 a deck. I know I was low on the totem pole, but it was the same across all my suppliers. Its gotten better in the last few years, but it still has not been a high margin item until just recently.

Quote:
dub they dont make 10 to 30 bucks they make like 30 percent

this is correct
Joee 8:38 PM - 26 December, 2009
Thank God I did sell my cdj 1000 & got a pair of 1200 a few months back ......

man working with them cd player's mad me lazy....
Joee 8:39 PM - 26 December, 2009
(mad).... made!!!
DJ Doug Collins 11:20 PM - 26 December, 2009
My M5G's are about a year old, and they were every bit of 700 a pop when I got them. You get what you pay for, though, the damn things last forever.
ZESH! 11:27 PM - 26 December, 2009
I Blame SERATO! Damn this unit (Love it so much)

It made the demand for Turntables skyrocket.

Price of 1200s haven't changed in forever. The price of CDJs are acroos the board.
People are finally finding out that it's silly to by a piece of plastic that'll last til the next new model is released, making the previous model outdated.

1200s are TANKS! and Da BOMB

but that's another thread =o) (OMG what have I started)
Nicky Blunt 11:39 PM - 26 December, 2009
Quote:
The 'discontinuation' rumor + profit motives (both for the manufacturer and the retail shops) = price increase just a theory, but the most valid one at the moment.

That's pretty much what I was going to post too.

Quote:

We id in the UK, It was completely denied that panasonic/Technics have no intention of shutting down the production of the technics turntable range in the UK, which means if we can get them here on a tiny island that fits in New York (State Not City), then the rest of the world should still be able to get them too.

I cant believe we are still having this conversation. As sixxx i think said above woody posted his response from technics, panasonic/technics uk gave a press release out. Give over, if you guys wanting turntables have any sense take the press release into the shop & talk to them. Show them they are feeding you a pack of bullshit[, and try to get your prices lower.

I will get mk5g's eventually, I want the extra length on the pitch control, thats the only reason Ill upgrade. But not at these prices, Ill buy second hand if i have to!
DJ GaFFle 2:24 PM - 27 December, 2009
Quote:
this is bullshit now i really cant buy any

You'll have to wait it out and get by with what you have for now. Hopefully, this price hike is short term but if not, there's always the used market (which won't be as bad).

You and anyone else wanting the best TTs out there (Technics) will be reeling "IF" the rumors of discontinuation hold true. *Goes to polish-n-embrace his M5Gs*
latinblood2k1 7:36 PM - 27 December, 2009
Kinda hard to imagine since I bought mines brand new 2 months ago for $499 each. Hopefully this is just short term I dont see anyone else wanting to buy these brand new just for the heck of it
latinblood2k1 7:36 PM - 27 December, 2009
Technics are very durable turntables so used would be everyone`s best bet if these stays longer
IsaacJordan 8:09 PM - 27 December, 2009
The Blue Lights on the MG5s are SEXY
Jay Sol 2:35 AM - 28 December, 2009
those stanton t.120's look promising!

yeah i said it!! haha

btw, i have 4 1200's (2 MK5 and 2 MK2) and i am a fanboy of technics so its a valid opinion lol.

www.stantondj.com :-)
DJ_Phenom 2:45 AM - 28 December, 2009
I love mine, and like I said I have owned technics and I liked them alot. But I am just as happy with my t.120s. Stanton has stepped up their game in the last few years.
Billy18bm 5:05 AM - 28 December, 2009
looks like its time to buy 2 m5g's price matched off the internet...
dj king g 10:51 AM - 28 December, 2009
whoa.... thats high. I saw back a year ago they were getting higher in price but now I read this and they are super high. I remember I got my 1210m5gs for 495 a table at GC. Got lucky and i bought a house set up for 400 a table for mk2. Shit i lucked out I guess for buying them just in time.
lvmez 12:59 PM - 28 December, 2009
i paid $529 for my m5g's over a year ago from guitar center in nyc.
vio0633 8:24 AM - 29 December, 2009
I got 2 M5g's for 700 bucks shipped on ebay. Good condition too!