Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

WHAT IS A CARTRIDGE?

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
sasquatch12593 10:28 PM - 20 September, 2006
just want to kno what a cartridge is. ive been looking at turntables and stuff to buy. (ive never DJ'd before) and i came accross cartridges. i just want to kno what they are and aloso if you have any suggestions about equipment that would be cool.
Konix 10:52 PM - 20 September, 2006
Cartridge(s) basically means the needles. There are many brands/kinds to choose from. Shure, Ortofon, Stanton, Numark all make them.
DJ Unique 3:13 AM - 21 September, 2006
See below for Cartridges or "Carts".
www.musiciansfriend.com
sasquatch12593 9:51 PM - 21 September, 2006
thanx konix. yer a big help. but are they the par that holds the needles? do you buy new cartridges every time you need a new needle? or do you put needles in them? and what are the differend advantages of having different needles? do they do different things?
Konix 10:04 PM - 21 September, 2006
Typically when you buy a pair of cartridges, the needle is already preinstalled, although not always. As I said, there are dozens of different kinds. Some are designed for mixing, some for scratching, some are sutible for both. Some have a higher output than others, some are more for deep bass, some for crystal clear highs, Ortofon makes a pair specifically desgined for timecode vinyl (i.e. SSL's control record). There's just too many to explain so I suggest you serach Google for more info.