DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

just expressin out loud! - dissed by PCDJ!

ral 3:42 PM - 17 September, 2006
since id been readin serato experiences in live gigs, let me share mine.

last nite, there this gig that i was called for. i know that i'll be spinnin with a dj from ny that uses cd. i know they usually use those numark cd player, so i decided to bring my serato,2 1210s, ttm56, that i can just hook up the other mixer with rcas. oh, last gig i did with this company, the dj i played with bring his own serato+turntables+vestax, so i though it was cool if i bring my own too. i was all setup and ready to go, then the big boss (can blend a bit in cds) finally arrive and after seeing my setup, he told me that they are done with turntables long time ago, then ask me to remove my setup to give way to this another dj with better setup. a pcdj, some numark mixer/cd. i was soooo pissed! to make the long story short, i give way coz he was new n from new york, so let him do his thing. anyways, i can still rock cds worse comes to worse. i can push buttons n sleep! i use to have cdj800 which i sold.

in another room, there was this so called scratch tutorial with those dennons scratchable deck that sucks, and they just assign me there for the meanwhile to 'teach' those kids while the main ballroom is not open. its aight i said. and the big boss keep asking me if i can 'scratch' on that dennons. i showed him some baby,tear,transform,flare,crab,etc while pushing that dennon platter heavily (you cant be light handed on dennons!), and he said well youre pretty good. so that means i can 'teach'. while i was practicing gettin comfy with 'my setup', this ny pcdj drop by seeing me getting down, well, giving way to him n see how he get down. hes just tellin me what beat am i using n blah blah. tellin him i was just using samples to wreck things up n im just using beats from the dance dance revo (theres a ps2 setup inside that room too, for the kids!) and he move in to the decks, wonderin what to do, looks like hes scurrred as hell to touch that dennon platter. then, i immediately assume that hes not a scratch dj, maybe a very good house music 64 bar blend mixer. so he didnt do anything to make the story short. kids come in n show them how its done, telling them to hold the platter real tight, but also, tellin them the real world, that you must be lite handed (with finesse) if u do this in tables...

fast forward, my shitty lessons are done.

up to the main ballroom. im eagerly waiting for this ny pcdj (that keeps on smilin and noddin his head to the beat), even not mixing, always keeps his headphones in his ear! what the....tellin to myself, well, lets hear the blend! after several fade ins fade out, still nothin!!!! from 100 going to 125! from 125 to 115.. wtf??? still hearin trainwrecks too!!! wtf??? he got like, 4 numark cd players, pcdj red n efx software program loaded (2 program loaded, he keeps sayin the other is good in tag, the other crashes sometimes, blah blah), am just listenin...no comment.

he got all this promo onlys n remixes downloaded though.. i was soooo pissed cant i just can't give respect to this guy as a dj, i can only give respect on his age, which he looks 35, but maybe he's just 25..i dont know.

did my thing rockin the numark cds though when my turn comes....

sigh...
Julls 4:06 PM - 17 September, 2006
Damn, thats some bullshit making you take your setup down. That guy should have known that you had a better setup than him. Oh well, its people like that who make our industry look bad.
hustlas 5:42 PM - 17 September, 2006
it happens over here all the while here as well. they do undercut the price for 100 or lower for a 4hrs party.
Julls 5:44 PM - 17 September, 2006
Quote:
it happens over here all the while here as well. they do undercut the price for 100 or lower for a 4hrs party.

WHAT!?!?!?!? Are you serious? That is pure insanity! Just for a depoist for a date is $150 for me.
DJC 6:17 PM - 17 September, 2006
PCDJ is gay
DJ Unique 8:22 PM - 17 September, 2006
I used to be a gay PCDJ now I'm a heterosexual Serato.
Still have the PCDJ with the DAC2 on a rack collecting dust.
Julls 10:05 PM - 17 September, 2006
Hey, how much do you want to let that DAC2 go for? I'm putting together a backup/ceremony system.
djskeetz 10:16 PM - 17 September, 2006
i quit DJing cause too many fucking pieces of shit will DJ for 150 for four hours. mobile.
djskeetz 10:17 PM - 17 September, 2006
any of you reading this that DJ for less than 200 for four hour mobile gig, you can fuck off and die.
Julls 10:17 PM - 17 September, 2006
Your not serious are you skeetz?
Julls 10:18 PM - 17 September, 2006
Quote:
Your not serious are you skeetz?

About quitting.
djskeetz 11:36 PM - 17 September, 2006
yeah i quit.
djskeetz 11:36 PM - 17 September, 2006
just for fun now, and for friends.
Julls 11:58 PM - 17 September, 2006
Damn dude, that sucks.
kicko 12:33 AM - 18 September, 2006
when will people learn its not what u have... its what u do with what u have! I f you think image is everything then go drink a sprite. Keep the TCV alive.
Maskrider 9:29 AM - 18 September, 2006
Every once in a while i'll Dj to a bar(Bar usually pays less) and do a mobile (not less than $300) if they ask me to lower the price, I just tell them that there's alot of Dj's out there that will go for what your asking.

I really don't advertise myself just word of mouth.
ekalb 12:12 PM - 18 September, 2006
Quote:
Still have the PCDJ with the DAC2 on a rack collecting dust.

i only use mine for calculation the BPM's
DJ BLuv 1:16 PM - 18 September, 2006
I agree with Maskrider. I won't even break out my gear for less than $400 unless all I have to bring is the music. And then I might go for less. But now that I am switching to Serato that price might go up again.
monkeybiz 7:57 PM - 18 September, 2006
Ugh. Numark.
The manager at one club was all excited about new equipment he bought for another place he runs. "We got these Numark CD decks! THEY LOOK SO COOL!"
This is after every other DJ there told him not to cheap out again on equipment.
DJ BLuv 12:32 AM - 19 September, 2006
That's typical. I've worked in bars and actually turned them around, ie managed to keep the afterwork crowd long into the night and made it a destination. And I wanted the management to fix the mixer. NOPE can't afford it. Losers.