Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Feature Request: Output MIDI Clock

CAW 5:28 PM - 16 December, 2009
It would be nice to have an option in setup to select MIDI devices to transmit MIDI clock on. (Ideally list all the MIDI output interfaces detected on the system with a checkbox next to each to enable/disable transmission to that interface.)

This would allow for automatic syncing of external effects units, arpeggiators, etc., to the current track temp.
KLH 4:21 AM - 17 December, 2009
As I understood it, Serato has stated that they will not open the architecture to interface with other equipment via MIDI. Their hope is to remove the complexity of MIDI from the configuration.

I hear that SSL is MIDI compatible, so perhaps that is the route to go.

-KLH
CAW 4:32 AM - 17 December, 2009
Allowing 3rd party MIDI controllers I can sort of buy their argument. But sending out MIDI clock is basically a fire-and-forget item for them, and doesn't require any complex MIDI configuration -- just an option to specify which MIDI ports to send it on. The external devices that are consuming the clock don't require any further integration on the part of ITCH, but could add a lot to the DJ's performance.
spazz 4:34 AM - 17 December, 2009
CAW I know where you're coming from but that's just not there vision with Itch.
DJ TROMBOT 6:43 AM - 17 December, 2009
I'm with you CAW a MIDI clock would be very useful
djcerla 9:47 AM - 17 December, 2009
A MIDI clock can't be currently outputted because it's NOT PRODUCED. There is no reason yet to have a clock.

Things will change with the forthcoming beatgrid; the beatgrid itself is a MIDI map and could easily be outputted. Also, 2.0 will integrate with Ableton Live, so basically will output a MIDI map, even if only internally and to a specific software.
Dalski 10:53 PM - 2 September, 2010
Sorry to bump an old thread but... reliable MIDI Clock output would be nice now, beatgrids have made their way into ITCH and I got external gear i'd love to have synched with ITCH in a performance.

As CAW mentioned, a fire and forget addition that opens up a whole new world of possibilities those willing to think outside the box, and zero extra complication to ITCH itself.

Would be nice to see it implemented :)
enzyme 7:12 PM - 21 November, 2010
+1 on this one !

I own a maschine and a spectralis, and would love to use it with itch + V7,
looking to improve my skills ;) and midi out on Itch would allow lots of possibilities that´s a fact... don´t restrict ITCH to DJ'ing since more and more it´s all about performance.

:)
matroberts 12:34 PM - 22 November, 2010
I've loved itch since it's came out, but it is really shown it's weakness when it comes to midi, especially now i am expanding my equipment to include things like APC40, Koasilators, Midi keyboards.

Even something simple like adding a virtual B3 organ through Ableton would be great for my sets, but as soon as you wanted to use the arpeggiator would be out of time. As well as that i would love to be able to attach a controller like the APC40 in order to add loads of cue points and loops to really mash up a tune. I really think that my Xone DX and APC could become a very powerful DJ/Production combo if something as simple as syncing could be done.

NOT everyone wants to use SSL, i personally have no intresest in vinyl anymore as i am not a sratch DJ, i prefer that i can now carry my own equipment about rather than use out of date, well worn club gear, playing on 15 year old 1200's is not fun, but a spanking new XD is.....

Come on Serato listen to your customers and let the inner musician out of us itch DJs and install a midi clock and Albeton Bridge, it's better than losing us to other more flexible software.
Dalski 1:33 PM - 22 November, 2010
Quote:
Come on Serato listen to your customers and let the inner musician out of us itch DJs and install a midi clock and Albeton Bridge, it's better than losing us to other more flexible software.

THIS!

S4 anyone? :)
enzyme 3:07 PM - 22 November, 2010
naaaaa .... :)

My setup is godly ;)

Audio Innovate AEM 100i Mixer
V7 on the left
APC 40 on the right

Now setting time by ear, but soon, hopefully, enjoying the amazingness of BRIDGE in ITCH + LIVE this will make it for me ;)

My wishlist :
1 - To get the repeater that was in ITCH previously to 1.7
2 - To get MIDI OUT from ITCH
3 - To get Bridge running on ITCH

Serato, please understand ITCH is not a cutdown version of SSL ;)
It´s a version for those who prefer controllers :)

Bring it on !
I´m sure it´s easy for you guys !

)(
matroberts 10:38 AM - 25 November, 2010
Quote:

Serato, please understand ITCH is not a cutdown version of SSL ;)
It´s a version for those who prefer controllers :)

Totally agree wih you there...... I find that Itch + controller is much more powerful option. I can now turn up anywhere and plug into their PA. It can be a house party, bar, club, festival etc. Show me how many SSL users can do that?

Itch has removed the tedious task of beatmatching two tunes, but has now added the tedious task of beatmatching two bits of software and there really is no need.

Serato, think about all those Albeton customers you could get jumping on board!
matroberts 10:41 AM - 25 November, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

THIS!

S4 anyone? :)

I would have bought one already if the build quality was up to Allen and Heaths standard.

I like the idea of a S4/Mashine combo, but i really don't think that either the build quality, stability or the features would be up to a Xone DX / APC40 combo.
bigdik magee 10:55 PM - 28 November, 2010
Quote:
A MIDI clock can't be currently outputted because it's NOT PRODUCED. There is no reason yet to have a clock.

Things will change with the forthcoming beatgrid; the beatgrid itself is a MIDI map and could easily be outputted. Also, 2.0 will integrate with Ableton Live, so basically will output a MIDI map, even if only internally and to a specific software.

Man I can't wait til I can sync my midi master clock between Ableton and ITCH...
matroberts 12:40 PM - 7 December, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Man I can't wait til I can sync my midi master clock between Ableton and ITCH...

No one from Serato has confirmed this will happen.

I think for now it would be nice if someone from Serato could confirm either way if Itch will get Ableton Bridge, and if so roughly when.
The longer it takes customers to get this information, the more likley it is for the customers to make a switch to other more flexible bits of software.
kraal 1:03 AM - 8 December, 2010
Quote:

No one from Serato has confirmed this will happen.

I think for now it would be nice if someone from Serato could confirm either way if Itch will get Ableton Bridge, and if so roughly when.

from the bridge product page

The Bridge for Serato ITCH will be released in 2011.
Andy James 2:59 PM - 17 August, 2011
I'd just like to add to this long running discussion. MIDI clock output is something that would open up great performance opportunities.

I own an old Roland Groovebox synth/sequencer, which I'd very much like to use in my sets. Synch'd to Itch via MIDI clock is the best way. Native Instruments do it with their Traktor software, so why not Serato?

Please consider for the next update, please.
filmriss 5:15 PM - 8 September, 2011
+1 for MIDI clock out WHY?

I want to sync Itch with my VJ software. Therefore I also cast my vote for an audio routing functionality, so I can route the audio to the VJ software to be analyzed (FFT) there.
Murat Alibaba 3:49 PM - 16 November, 2011
+1 more for midi clock out!
I've been using ITCH with Novation's Twitch Controller recently and must say I like it. I have a gig abroad this weekend and really wanted to give ITCH a go rather than my usual Traktor setup. The visual artist has asked for a midi clock out to sync the live visuals with the BPM and at this point I realised ITCH is failing :( He's kindly said that he can use a max4Live patch that'll analyse line output and output the BPM as I'm sure you'll all agree, this isn't a nice solution. I'm probably going to stick to Traktor in this case...
selkie 4:18 PM - 16 November, 2011
+1
Berk Bayri 5:27 PM - 16 November, 2011
+1 for midi clock out and Murat Alibaba!
I agree with Murat, and I'm the one he's talking about :) We've been planning this gig for more than a month, we're getting together from 3 different countries for a really nice event (at last). I could have never even guessed about Itch not sending out a basic midi clock info. I must say that it's been a bad surprise for me, but thanks to Ableton and Max4Live. It just seems to be saving my life (again). So I think an official announcement would be nice about this issue. It's been almost two years since the first 'future request'.
oussDaPouss 6:46 PM - 30 January, 2012
+1 for this one. This feature is a must for visual synchronisation and sync with Ableton (since there is no Bridge for ITCH)

Btw, Berk Bayri, why do u say that Ableton and Max4live saved your life?
Berk Bayri 9:32 PM - 30 January, 2012
I didn't have so mach time to get totally prepared for the gig at that time and any practical solution would do good. I was planning to control the video projected on the screen and several dmx lighting fixtures at the same time on the same mac book pro. That means I had to keep an eye on the sync constantly while working with the lights and video by myself. Then I found a max4live plugin which was contantly analyzing the audio coming from the main output and altering the tempo of ableton live real time. Although I wasn't able to play with the video because of a technical error on the projector, but it helped me a lot during the gig :) Just can't remember that plugin's name at the moment but I guess there are several useful plugins around the net and the max for live plugin site!
VictorMike 11:46 AM - 3 February, 2012
+1 for midi clock out. This would be a really good feature. We could fit up to a better effects, etc.
toi 1:26 PM - 3 February, 2012
Quote:
...This feature is a must for visual synchronisation and sync with Ableton (since there is no Bridge for ITCH)

+111eleven
oussDaPouss 3:46 PM - 4 February, 2012
And please Serato guys, don't say it's not needed because Serato Video is coming soon.

This feature is a must for every serious professional DJ...
filmriss 1:38 PM - 28 March, 2012
Quote:
And please Serato guys, don't say it's ...

Do they say anything at all? At least in this forum?

PLEASE! implement BPM out
Eric N 3:51 PM - 28 March, 2012
+1 on this! Would be killer for my projects with live bands.
oussDaPouss 11:45 AM - 29 March, 2012
Allo Serato ?? PLEASE say something...
beezees 9:05 AM - 13 January, 2013
+1 on this! MIDI Clock Out in Itch is the one last thing we need in our performance setup, syncing the Itch BPM to our other MIDI hardware (drumcomputer and effects units).

@Serato: are there plans of implementing this in a future release?
oussDaPouss 6:23 PM - 13 January, 2013
I don't think we can expect a miracle, since Serato is still ignoring this request for more than 3years now :(
SeriousCyrus 1:08 PM - 18 January, 2013
Food for thought, this could probably be done with a quartz file and serato video/me. Quartz files can implement midi out, and you can pick up the beat parameter from itch/ssl as an input to the qc file, retransmit it as a midi signal.
oussDaPouss 2:56 PM - 18 January, 2013
This sounds very good! I hope someone will test your solution.
Bazildon 5:33 PM - 20 January, 2013
I use a soundbite micro to get a midi clock signal from my SSL/Itch setup, have been for about 3 years actually.

www.redsound.com

It works really well most of the time and if it goes a bit wonky you can use the "tap" button on the micro to get the clock back on to time.

Setup like this:

Audio Route is - SSL/Itch -> Mixer (booth/monitor out) -> Soundbite Micro(Audio in) -> Booth speakers
Midi Route is - Soundbite Micro(Midi out) -> Kaosillator Pro/kp2/whatever

The only issue with this setup is that to have a steady midi signal you need the booth speakers on most of the time. Although saying that, the Micro will carry on at the same tempo if the audio signal is lost.
museoa 9:11 PM - 22 May, 2013
+1 ... would love to sync with other applications .
thoodee 12:27 AM - 26 May, 2013
+1 do it!
giedrius 9:23 AM - 28 December, 2013
yes please!!!!!
JuriV 4:33 PM - 1 February, 2014
+10

Yes please! :-)
Bjoervik 11:51 AM - 24 April, 2014
We really need this implemented Asap.
x GAP x 9:48 AM - 21 May, 2014
Nearly 5 years down the digital road and we see the return of midi hardware and we still can't use them with Serato DJ..
Disgraceland_UK 6:41 PM - 27 May, 2014
+1
JuriV 5:29 PM - 18 July, 2014
+10 again
Andy James 9:10 AM - 30 September, 2014
It seems Serato only have their business interests in mind, i.e. purchase a licensed copy of Ableton Live, and then bridge it. But what about those of us who don't use Live? I have two Grooveboxes, which I perform with separately to using my NS7. That's because there's no MIDI-clock-out. I wish I'd spent my hard earned money on Traktor now... :-/
DeRajj 7:37 AM - 20 November, 2014
+1
Kayter 3:39 PM - 16 January, 2015
+1
ENDIF 2:42 AM - 19 January, 2015
Yet another for midi clock out. If I could sync my modular or synths or drum machines to run patterns in time with what I'm spinning... seriously, how is this not a feature?
DoctorDigital 7:00 AM - 30 January, 2015
Seriously - this is not already a feature? Serato really should implement this ASAP! The thread is now over 5 years old now and it is not something that would be way out of the track...

+1 here
Fortyc 10:36 PM - 5 June, 2015
+1
korg er1 + ddj-sx = great new live set :) just i need the midi clock to syncing...
Bazildon 11:02 PM - 5 June, 2015
Quote:
+1
korg er1 + ddj-sx = great new live set :) just i need the midi clock to syncing...

Forgot all about this thread...

Seriously though, get yourself a soundbite micro, it will do what you want and is really cheap. eBay has them for about £45/$70usd.

It's still working fine for me and is a great bit of kit as a work around while Serato fanny about with whatever the hell they are doing with midi. I've used it with a loads of different midi devices with and without my decks and it's never let me down.
s3kn0tr0n1c 12:17 PM - 12 July, 2015
Yes midi clock out much needed over here.
Fleischwolke 4:20 PM - 27 August, 2015
+1 midi clock
Daniel Hartmann 9:29 PM - 7 October, 2015
+ 1 midi clock, as soon you offer midi clock, you will be able to earn my investment into your company :)
hall-music 8:43 PM - 3 July, 2017
Sad to see that this is still not available. I would use that for syncing the light show. But instead it looks that Serato is more interested in building vendor lock-ins with their partners. At least this is how it feels when you look at those integration work with Roland Drum Box, the DMX interface whose name I forgot and a like. But using existing standards to be flexible and independend as customer is not of interest as it seems.
popnwave 10:14 PM - 3 July, 2017
Abelton Sync is the closest you'll get for now.
Serato, Support
Kane D 1:03 AM - 4 July, 2017
Quote:
Abelton Sync is the closest you'll get for now.

If you have an ios device, there is an app you can download called link to midi, you can use this app, given that you have the USB camera connection kit & a midi interface.

itunes.apple.com
popnwave 2:44 AM - 4 July, 2017
Meant Link btw.. woopsie
bcharlie63 5:15 PM - 8 March, 2018
So you are telling me that if I want to do any sort of live set, my main engine for mixing the tracks CANNOT be Serato? Why would you limit your customer base? Until this is integrated, you will see absolutely no use from me or any of my band members, absolutely ridiculous. I should AT LEAST be able to send a MIDI clock to my modular synthesizer and sequence it alongside Serato, nevertheless worry about click tracks or customizing my setup even slightly? This is laughable
John Calipari 5:42 PM - 8 March, 2018
It's DJ Software pure & simple, not a DAW
hall-music 4:47 PM - 18 March, 2018
Quote:
It's DJ Software pure & simple, not a DAW

Lightshow is something I consider as important for DJ's. Midi Clock would help here a lot. As I said, this is a standard protocol that a lot of software products do support for whatever use case they are created. But Serato is locking you to their partner vendors, which is sad.
AKIEM 4:51 PM - 19 March, 2018
highly doubt anything more than Link ever happens.

..and Link sucks the way they did it.
Mutis Mayfield 12:24 PM - 22 March, 2018
Once again. Wait for it.
cdm.link