Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

SSL, almost as good as I was told

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
lancota 3:35 PM - 14 July, 2004
First of all, let me start off with complimenting the team that worked on this...you guy's/gal's did a bang up job. The serato "box" thing is just so cool...solid and small just the way I like it (the 9v adapter things a little dissapointing, but hey...ther product works.)

However there are some issues that I'm having trouble with...

1) Occationally I've had problems starting up SSL and having it not recognize the interface. I usually have to quit (sometimes force quit several times) and then restart the software. It doesn't happen all the time...so there's no solution to it from my end.

2) Occationally (2 twice I think) I get a garbled sound on the opposite track that's playing....I think I've narrowed it down to the fact that the track on the opposite deck is being "autofilled" while playing. (see number 3)

3) The need for a batch autofilled function. I know 1.1 gives you the opportunity to turn autofill's off, but I really need those longer stripes...and it would be key if I didn't have to go through dropouts to get them.

4) Pitch drifting (but I know this is being addressed) The work around I've found is to set the record to internal mode, then reset the timecode, and head into abs. mode right before I mix out...kinda sucks, but at least there's a work around :)

5) One really odd time I had picked up the stylus on one recod and had BOTH songs stop, when I looked up at my screen I saw that the song from the left deck had been placed in the right as well then, when I put the needle down, both decks started playin...very odd. I restared SSL and have not had a problem since.

Other than that, things are great. I could hear but 1 audible digital pop in the audio stream for the 2 hours I played with it (with FS I was constantly cleaning my audio stream after every recording I did). And the calibration thing is odd, BUT the ability to NOT have to calibrate is ever better than I ever imagined (plus it give very feasible work arounds in the event that the software doesn't perform the way it should)...with FS you were Final F*&#$ed :)

Once again, thanks for a terrific product and rockin support on this board!!

My system specs are:
12" Powerbook G4 1Ghz
786 mb RAM
40 gig 4200 RPM HD
SSL 1.1
ortophon nightclubs (2 months old)
Techie 1210's
nik39 4:30 PM - 14 July, 2004
Hey lancota, nice to see you here. About point two, read www.scratchlive.net
Its a planned feature.
lancota 5:12 PM - 14 July, 2004
Sweet, didn't have time to dig through the forum... sorry bout that.

As I said before, the main point where SSL shines and FS fails is the support that these guys are givin...I almost Shat my pants when I saw Rane and serato folks postin on the board! Just shows you how Stanton and NI messed up people's heads with their shotty support.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Sam 11:54 PM - 15 July, 2004
Hello Lancota,
Point 3) is planned for a future release
Point 4) It is possible you accidentally press ctrl - shift - left/right arrow, which is the keyboard short cut to 'double' ... load the track currently on the left/right deck onto the right/left deck as well. But it's unlikely that you accidentally pressed this keyboard shortcut. If you are able to reproduce it, please let us know.
lancota 1:07 AM - 17 July, 2004
I can't reproduce it, cause it hasn't happened since then. So far things are looking ok for my SSL

The only thing that's really frustrating and keeping me from bringing it out and playing is the whole pitch drift issue, which I know's being fixed :)

As far as audio artifacts, I've gotten a couple of digital pop's, one was really loud...but that has never happened again. My latency is set at 11 or 12 usually, and my circles are as round as I can possibly get them. But the pop's don't happen nearly as often as with FS, so I'm not bothered.

I do have trouble getting the interface to recognize the SSL unit when the program loads, I almost always have to unplug and re-plug it into another USB port.
nik39 2:31 AM - 17 July, 2004
lancota, are you using an external power supply for SSL?
Alexander 8:18 AM - 17 July, 2004
also Lancota...I heard that if you are on a Windows box you have to use the same USB port that you used to install SSL. That might have changed by now though?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Steve W 8:49 AM - 17 July, 2004
It isn't that you need to use the same port, it's that you need to install the driver separately for each port.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Sam 8:53 AM - 17 July, 2004
We recommend that you always use the same USB port. This issue will have to be addressed by Microsoft.
Alexander 4:47 PM - 17 July, 2004
thanks for clearing that up Steve I knew it had something to do like that.
lancota 4:51 PM - 19 July, 2004
No, I'm on a mac, so I'm not sure how I would install the driver for each port. I haven't gotten a chance to check out and see if the new update has cured all my troubles yet.
Serato, Moderator
AJ 5:08 PM - 19 July, 2004
You don't need to on a Mac. Only Windows exhibits this odd behaviour. On a Mac, when you install a driver it is installed for all ports.
lancota 5:10 PM - 19 July, 2004
Do you know, then, if there is a solution to the problem I'm having stated about point #1:

1) Occationally I've had problems starting up SSL and having it not recognize the interface. I usually have to quit (sometimes force quit several times) and then restart the software. It doesn't happen all the time...so there's no solution to it from my end.

Just curious, like I said, it's more of a nusance than a problem...but it would be great to just start up SSL without having to replug my USB cable.

Thanks!
Serato, Moderator
AJ 5:14 PM - 19 July, 2004
It could be one of those pesky power issues. Questions:

1. Are you using the latest version (1.1 build 1107)
2. Do you get the message "Interface disconnected" or "Startup failure" (or similar).
lancota 1:21 AM - 21 July, 2004
Sorry I didn't give the particulars on my setup:

1Ghz Powerbook 12", 786 meg RAM, 40 gig 4200 RPM HD
Using the 9v Adapter
1.1 build 1107

it doesn't seem to do it anymore. But since then I've discovered some other disturbing quirks.

1) in addition to the drifting, sometimes the timecode will offset following an audible digital pop. The timecode offsets so severly it "trainwrecks" the mix and doesn't seem to self correct. (I used to have a problem with FS on OSX 10.3.x)
The frequency of this doesn't happen all the time, just at random (sometimes all the waveforms are autofilled too)

2) I sometimes get a full1/2 second to 1sec audio dropout. I haven't narrowed it down to whether my system is doing autofills when this happens...I'm gunna do some more tests tonight.

My primary concern is #1, as number 2 is most likely the fact that not all my tracks are autofilled. #1 could possibly make a set very horrid if the mp3 is offseting...I've gotten the circles as round as I could possibly get them, and I've also been spinning in my headphones doing tests (so there's no external noises). My latency settings have been anywhere from 9 to 15, I've even tried it all the way to the right and still have had the same problems.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
lancota 1:29 AM - 21 July, 2004
sorry I said "timecode"... what I meant was "noisemap" ;)
Serato, Forum Moderator
Sam 2:29 AM - 21 July, 2004
Hi Lancota. The auto fill overviews setting should not have any impact on a computer with that spec. On a slower computer it might cause 'jumpiness' in the video display, but it should never cause the audio to drop out on any computer that meets the minimum spec. As for the 'trainwreck' problem, are you mixing in absolute or relative mode? When you experience this problem, does the tracking light turn red momentarily? It might be a scratch on the record causing a loss of control signal.
lancota 10:11 PM - 21 July, 2004
Thanks for the reply.

I actually tried SSL on a newer setup with brand new carts...didn't get the weird offets but I did get 2 subsequent dropouts when I looked up, the one of the tracks was autofilling. I never get these dropouts when the track is autofilled already. My records are pristine, not dirty or scratched. Happens on both sides (although for me th 15 min side is really the only one I can use (pitch drifts and all) and 33 or 45 RPM). I think the offsets are due to my home setups carts...they're kinda old, so I'm gunna change em out. But the audio dropouts are consistent across 3 setups now.

I'm always running the setup with a 9v adapter, my laptop is always plugged in, my airport and bluetooth options are turned off. No other programs are running and all powersaving functions are off (screen saver, hd spindown, lcd off) the CPU is at "highest" setting.
lancota 4:05 PM - 26 July, 2004
Here's an update with my issues:

I noted before that I had 2 small digital pops followed by offset timecode. Well I played on a different friends setup and didn't have this happen. The only trouble I had was the pitch problem.

I came home and tested the system with new stylus tips (nightclub ortofon's) and the system played perfectly (aside from pitch ;) No millisecond offsets, not even a 1/2 second audio dropout and I saw that some of my tracks were autofilling too! The setup for the cirlcles was like butta to, as round as round could be and sooooooooooooo easy.

I'm guessing that SSL heavily relies on decent stylus tips (as is to be expected). I'm not sayin it reliess on PERFECT tips, just decent ones that haven't been worn to all hell. The old ones I had been using were my roommates and he takes then outdoors, to deserts...ect...

So if you had similar problems like not being able to get the circles round, or small dropouts, or even extremely fuzzy circles...I would highly recommend new stylus tips, you'll be very, very pleased.

As for the 1/2 second audio drops, I didn't get them when I was playin with the brand new styluses, but I did get them when I played at my friends house....I still think a batch autofill option would be awesome, cause untill I have every track autofilled I'm really worried that these probs are gunna re-surface. Once tracks are autofilled I haven't had these problems...and yes, I do know that you can turn autofill off but then you don't get the full track view....and I really love that feature. :)
Serato, Moderator
AJ 6:21 PM - 26 July, 2004
Just to remind everyone, if your circle has kinks in it, then your cartridge is bad and needs to be replaced.
Alexander 7:13 PM - 26 July, 2004
thanks AJ....by kinks you mean "fuzzy" circles or do you mean actual kinks?
Serato, Moderator
AJ 9:02 PM - 26 July, 2004
Fuzzy circles are usually an indication of dirty or scratched records or needles. Fuzziness is an indication of noise in the signal.

Kinks on the other hand are a sign of harmonic distortion, which is not caused by either the records or the needles, kinks are caused by the cartridge going bad. A cartridge has tiny coils inside which turn movement into electrical signals, and they can go bad over time. When they do, they sound bad, and they produce kinks in the oscilliscope view.
Alexander 10:22 PM - 26 July, 2004
got it AJ ...thanks for the lesson! :)
lo-fi 10:18 PM - 4 August, 2004
Quote:
Fuzzy circles are usually an indication of dirty or scratched records or needles. Fuzziness is an indication of noise in the signal.

Kinks on the other hand are a sign of harmonic distortion, which is not caused by either the records or the needles, kinks are caused by the cartridge going bad. A cartridge has tiny coils inside which turn movement into electrical signals, and they can go bad over time. When they do, they sound bad, and they produce kinks in the oscilliscope view.

Ah, so the circles are also a great way to test your needles! That will come in handy for me, as I also do a lot of sampling/vinyl recording on the same needles.

I'll make a habit out of bringing my own complete headshells to each gig!