DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

My Bad Experience With My TTM57 Last Night...

DJMixxed 5:00 PM - 4 December, 2009
So I'm in Qatar, and was chosen by some promoters to be one of the feature DJs for the big hip hop/r&b event here last night... There's not too much hip hop here (every club you go to plays nothing but commercial techno... and the SAME 10 tracks at that... but I digress...)

So the event was two part; First from 6-9pm, I'd be playing at the outdoor concert, featuring some local acts and some artists from Berlin, Germany. And then from 10pm-3am, I'd be traveling to the Sheraton across town, for the "After Party" with a back-and-forth with a German DJ, Desue... So at around 3pm that day, I travel up to the ballroom at the Sheraton to set my gear up and test out. I had ordered a TTM57 from agiprodj (Thanks again, Ty) that just arrived a couple days prior, so I had planned on plugging into the clubs system, along with two CDJ 1000s. I brought my Serato box for backup, and my CDs for extra backup.

Of course, things start to fail immediately. I plug in and I'm getting all kinds of weird responses in terms of cueing in Serato and what not. Normally, at home, I've got a TTM57 and two CDJ 800s. I use absolute mode, with auto cue on the CDJs.... so that when I'm playing a track I can create on-the-fly cue points during the track. It wasn't doing that... Anytime I hit the cue button during a song, it would just stop the track... but not go back to my original cue point. And then when I tried to hit the << button to go to the beginning of the track, it would do nothing. I got frustrated.. for 2 hours I tried to make it work but no haps.

So long story short, I had to use CDs the whole night... which is fine, but I really wish my mixer was working so that I could really rock out. As far as potential problems with what went on with my mixer, could it be a power issue? I am in a foreign country, and I did have to plug into a converter, but no transformer... power worked fine on the mixer and everything else. Checked the line/phone, the rca connections, everything I could think of...
Leo Mann 7:54 PM - 4 December, 2009
i never experienced anything like that before. maybe you were trying to cue with the cdj while in relative mode. i have some technics cdj's and my cue buttons don't work with relative mode, just absolute mode like you said. i hope this never happens to me. i mostly use my 1210's in absolute mode and i only bring a hand full of records for backup, in case my mbp were to freeze for some reason.
DJMixxed 11:51 AM - 5 December, 2009
Does anyone have an idea of what the problem could be? Any similar issues?
treeo730 9:29 PM - 6 December, 2009
drivers maybe? Could be the drivers on your 57 were the old ones and and your version of SSL was a newer version... Just thinking out loud
DJ.T.BOOGIE 8:35 PM - 16 December, 2009
Quote:
drivers maybe? Could be the drivers on your 57 were the old ones and and your version of SSL was a newer version... Just thinking out loud

makes sense 2!! a dj i know just switched 2 serato.bought a pc with windows 7.he asked me to help him cause he tried gettin it to work 4 two days.
it took me about 30 mins to realize his box came wit version 1.8.2!!lol was no such thing as wondows 7 when they built tht lol
downloaded 1.9.2 and all was good.

jus my cents in
tomatoslice 8:11 AM - 18 December, 2009
have no idea why pressing the back button on the cdj would not take you to the beginning of the track in absolute mode.

definitely make sure your firmware is updated on the mixer

couldn't you have just played it relative mode?
its pretty simple and takes temporary cues as well
nik39 3:50 PM - 19 December, 2009
Quote:
There's not too much hip hop here (every club you go to plays nothing but commercial techno... and the SAME 10 tracks at that.

That must be different with hiphop clubs. ;)

HAve you switched the input signal levels correctly?
Mixxed 10:01 PM - 25 December, 2009
LOL... Touche', nik39!

I've got the latest version 1.9.2 on my laptop... and I've never had this problem with my TTM57 at home in the states. Then once I buy a new one, I can't for the life of me (in absolute mode) get the track to go back to the cue point once I set it via the cue on the CDJ.

What I did last night to temporarily solve the problem was just use it in relative mode... Anytime I loaded a track, it of course started at the VERY beginning of the track, and as long as I didn't press the cue on the CDJ, I could manuever through the whole track by spinning the jog wheel. But once I push "cue", and try to navigate to a point in the track BEFORE the set cue point, it won't do it. So I just didn't use the cue. But its a bit of a pain... and it still bothers me why its not working like it was before.

Anyway, I've got a gig this New Year's Eve, I'm just glad I found a "workaround" in the meantime so that I can use my beloved mixer... :)
nik39 11:42 AM - 26 December, 2009
You didn't answer my question. :)
DJ Chris Craze 2:42 PM - 30 December, 2009
u need to use turntable instead of cdj's. Serato was made for cutting wax.

here is what i do when i have to use cdj's.
1. I use cue points like crazy. I have them, all set and as i load a new track i set them first and foremost! I set them at the on the kick, snare and 32,64,96,128 till i run out...
2. i use relative mode in serato. make sure the cdj is not on master tempo and do not use the loop. Set the cue point on the cdj a few seconds in so u can back cue as needed and it wont cut u off.
3. Upon playing the track i stutter the cue point or scratch the beat with the platter of the cdj.... try that out. if i need to recue , i hit a cue point the cds are 15 minutes long so u wont run out....
jon-x 8:46 PM - 1 January, 2010
If you want to use CDJ's with SSL, you must set your program to using a line input - if you leave the phono setting, using the CDJ's is nearly impossible. But I haven't any ideas about possiblity of this setting with 57SL (I have SL1). It's good known problem of CDJ users. The CD timecode is different.
sweetL 11:32 AM - 5 January, 2010
had this problem before. changed input to line level, fixed.
Styliztics DMT 9:59 PM - 6 January, 2010
Hey all first time to the forum and i realised how usefull it is.

I have been getting an issue with my Scratchlive and the TTM57.

I recently purchased a Dell Laptop with windows 7. Anyway, I installed it and it work perfectly with my SL1.

However, if i open the Scratchlive on my PC then plug in the usb to connect to the ttm57, the pc does not connect the mixer. This sometimes leads to the program freezing up and me having to shut it down (ctrl+alt+del method).

However, if i plug the mixer in before hand, then start the program it would work. If i however do the same process i mentioned above, then try doing what works I usually have to restart my pc.

I am not sure if this is another conflict that exits with windows 7 and scratch live. I should note that I was using a toshiba laptop with XP with like near half the specs of this new machine and other than being slower, i had no hardware issues.

I usually do alot of guess apperance gigs so the hardware (57 or sl1) usually differs from job to job. Can anyone help me at all??????? :-(

I will try re installing tonight and see if that works....other than that any help would be appreciated

Cheers!
sweetL 12:11 PM - 27 January, 2010
As you say, in all likelihood its gonna be one of those windows 7 issues...
ancientyouth 3:45 PM - 27 January, 2010
i think all you have to do is re-install with the 57 plugged in
latinblood2k1 4:39 PM - 27 January, 2010
Quote:
Hey all first time to the forum and i realised how usefull it is.

I have been getting an issue with my Scratchlive and the TTM57.

I recently purchased a Dell Laptop with windows 7. Anyway, I installed it and it work perfectly with my SL1.

However, if i open the Scratchlive on my PC then plug in the usb to connect to the ttm57, the pc does not connect the mixer. This sometimes leads to the program freezing up and me having to shut it down (ctrl+alt+del method).

Yea I get that same problem with my HP I think its just the fact that its not 100% compatible with Windows 7.

However, if i plug the mixer in before hand, then start the program it would work. If i however do the same process i mentioned above, then try doing what works I usually have to restart my pc.

I am not sure if this is another conflict that exits with windows 7 and scratch live. I should note that I was using a toshiba laptop with XP with like near half the specs of this new machine and other than being slower, i had no hardware issues.

I usually do alot of guess apperance gigs so the hardware (57 or sl1) usually differs from job to job. Can anyone help me at all??????? :-(

I will try re installing tonight and see if that works....other than that any help would be appreciated

Cheers!
latinblood2k1 4:39 PM - 27 January, 2010
I meant to say
Yea I get that same problem with my HP I think its just the fact that its not 100% compatible with Windows 7.
Jed 104 5:46 PM - 6 March, 2010
Solution: switch from vinyl mode back to line. Word :)