DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Remove Vocals from any song.

DJ_Tech 6:41 PM - 2 December, 2009
Anyone know if there's an acapella for Drake's I'm Going in song? can't find it anywhere... I'm going through hell right now lol.

I even tried bouncing the instrumental version with an inverted wavelength to cancel out the beat (leaving the vocals behind). It works but one of the tracks are slightly off so after a few seconds they are out of sync and the beat fades back in.

Here's A great Video for those who don't know what I mean:
Watchwww.youtube.com
Audio1 7:18 PM - 2 December, 2009
Ya either a proper Studio Acapella or a DIY are the only ways, otherwise you have to get real creative.
PopRoXxX 12:05 AM - 3 December, 2009
some curiosity for no reason what so ever ... but you could do the same thing backwards to make an instrumental too by using the acapella, right?
DJ Shameless 12:30 AM - 3 December, 2009
Quote:
some curiosity for no reason what so ever ... but you could do the same thing backwards to make an instrumental too by using the acapella, right?

yes, theoretically it's possible.

@DJ Tech - i've done something similar to that once, but using the original with 8 bar
intro, looping it (the intro) and inverting wavelengths and lining it up over the section that i needed. its possible, but takes a while....... a lllooooong while.
Audio1 12:34 AM - 3 December, 2009
If you have alot of free time, Go for it. I used to spend days/nights making acapella intros/outros with that exact method on soundforge or the old cool edit pro.
Billy18bm 2:20 AM - 3 December, 2009
once its compressed its almost impossible... they sound decent at best..
DJ Shameless 8:17 AM - 3 December, 2009
Quote:
If you have alot of free time, Go for it. I used to spend days/nights making acapella intros/outros with that exact method on soundforge or the old cool edit pro.

it's a mission and a half, but as i said... i attempted it once before. and it was only for one phrase, that i don't use anymore.
DJ_Tech 8:38 PM - 3 December, 2009
@DJ Shameless - Yeah man it's a huge pain lol. I just wanted to help those out who don't know the reverse polarity method, while I could also save time by asking for the acapella.

So let me ask this a different way to everyone... anyone know where the "OFFICIAL" instrumental is? The one i had was user made and very sped up, THX!
DJ Shameless 9:29 PM - 3 December, 2009
Quote:
@DJ Shameless - Yeah man it's a huge pain lol. I just wanted to help those out who don't know the reverse polarity method, while I could also save time by asking for the acapella.

So let me ask this a different way to everyone... anyone know where the "OFFICIAL" instrumental is? The one i had was user made and very sped up, THX!

sneaky tactic...
but my guess is that guys are gonna say to search the pools, and someone is gonna post that 'let me google that for you' link that seems to be doing its rounds here.
DJ_Tech 4:20 PM - 4 December, 2009
Yeah lol, I know that too well. PM me your e-mail and so i can send you some ish man.
Billy18bm 3:37 PM - 10 December, 2009
i tried to mess with it, but every instrumental is like a chopped up version and dosen't match the song.
Hassle 4:44 PM - 10 December, 2009
DIY acapella sound like crap 99% of the time IMO.
Billy18bm 4:48 PM - 10 December, 2009
If you have the wav files u can make perfect accaellas.
djnak 11:56 PM - 12 June, 2015
Quote:
now i also have a question.. I'm a new DJ (well, 2 years) and i JUST got a DDJ-SR yesterday. Im a huge fan of EDM and i look at DJs like Hardwell, alesso, martin garrix, ect… sometimes when watching Hardwell, he cues vocals of a different song or he will cue a melody from a song then plug it in with another. I see other DJ like, just Youtube DJs with a Serato set do that too. How can i do that???

you gotta start with small fist pumps then lead up to massive heart signs.... but never I mean never touch the CROSSFADER this trick can only be done on channel 1
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:41 AM - 13 June, 2015
Quote:
Watchwww.youtube.com

in this video, he cuts out the audio of some of the songs than on the other channel has something else, like a different song.. how do I cut out the audio or the vocals (either one)??

pull the volume fader all the way down
nathans1 4:36 AM - 13 June, 2015
Quote:
Watchwww.youtube.com

in this video, he cuts out the audio of some of the songs than on the other channel has something else, like a different song.. how do I cut out the audio or the vocals (either one)??

That's a toughy!! Does your controller have that many buttons? It requires a lot of button pushing. Sometimes you have to push the buttons really fast. If your controller doesn't have that many buttons or they don't light up like a Christmas tree you can practice by just tapping anything but try humming a song along while your tapping and when you tap start to hum but when you stop tapping stop humming or if you do it rapidly you can stutter kinda like a slicer fx. Its good practice. Good luck!!! I can all ready see you might be the next Martin Garix.
DJ Matty Stiles 9:03 AM - 13 June, 2015
Phase cancellation method. It's a bitch to do. You need the original acapella and song. Must be identical, from the same source
DJ Matty Stiles 9:09 AM - 13 June, 2015
Lol^
Mighty Dragon Sounds 10:31 AM - 13 June, 2015
wow..... just wow.... the brutalness....
nathans1 6:32 AM - 14 June, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Watchwww.youtube.com

That's a toughy!! Does your controller have that many buttons? It requires a lot of button pushing. Sometimes you have to push the buttons really fast. If your controller doesn't have that many buttons or they don't light up like a Christmas tree you can practice by just tapping anything but try humming a song along while your tapping and when you tap start to hum but when you stop tapping stop humming or if you do it rapidly you can stutter kinda like a slicer fx. Its good practice. Good luck!!! I can all ready see you might be the next Martin Garix.

Thanks :) i will definitly try that. I have a DDJ-SR, never used it. All my life i have been making my mixes off of Virtual Dj with no set of my own. So im not familiar with the buttons YET!! but i mess with it a little to try and get it all down. Ive down a lot of research and going to sam ash and guitar center to try the DDJ-SR or CDJ 2000s, but now that i got my own i gotta experiment so thank you for that!!! lol i do have a dream to be a really good DJ/ Music producer like martin garrix :)

More than welcome my fellow dj!!! and welcome aboard.
Taipanic 6:43 PM - 15 June, 2015
I try not to be mean to the newbies until they deserve it...

DJ Kidx, do searches for instrumentals and acapellas. A big part of true DJing is in the artistic ability to merge, blend, & mash up multiple songs & sounds. Understand that most of the EDM stars you look up to are more producers than DJs. They create in the studio and playback live as that's where the money is. DJs create on the fly live by mixing, scratching, sampling, looping, and adding effects. DJing has always been a combination of artistry and technical ability, even more so in this computer age. At this point in your career you should spend as much time reading about how to DJ and watching DJ instructional videos as you do practicing. You should also try to find someone local who is more experienced that is willing to mentor you.
nathans1 6:33 PM - 3 October, 2015
Quote:
im sorry i meant without the vocals

A song with no singing in it at all (but its a song that usually has singing in it)? Like you mean an instrumental version? Those are really hard to find. Rumor has it that you used to be able to find such a thing but sadly, those days are over. How I wish there were a way...
Scully DJ Services 2:50 AM - 4 October, 2015
Quote:
yeah i even looked up different websites for acapellas but most of the ones that i have found, you have to pay for the songs! i'll just save up and wait a bit and buy ableton or something so i can take the stuff out myself! then i'll see about making a website myself and i'll do both acapellas and instrumentals and also get feedback from people who want certain songs! i'll just look around some more and see what i can find! Thanks though!

Of course you have to pay for the songs!! Did you really expect to find all of this for free?
nathans1 4:42 AM - 4 October, 2015
Quote:
well i mean i have acapella4u website i know there you can get acapellas for free so i wasnt sure how it was with other websites cause ive never took the time to look at all the acapella websites, but now that i have today, now i have found out that yes, i have to pay for them!

Have you had any luck finding sites that remove the audio/vocals from tracks and sell instrumentals? I mean I have looked all day. Those are tough to find.
Don K. 75 5:13 AM - 16 April, 2018
I too need to find instrumental versions only for an up coming event. I thought maybe my ddjsr could delete vocals. I did a gig and I played a song that only the instrumentals played. ??? I don’t know how that happened. Later at home, I played the song and vocals were there? I have No idea how that happened. I need to know how to do this or purchase a karaoke machine. Any help?
popnwave 8:07 PM - 16 April, 2018
I'd look at a DJ pool that has instrumentals before I buy a karaoke machine with some creative filters.
Don K. 75 10:56 PM - 16 April, 2018
Ok, thanks, any suggestions on pools? Also, any idea how my DDJ-SR played an all instrumental of a song only for me to play it at home again and vocals came thru?
D Jay Cee 11:00 AM - 28 April, 2018
here is the result of two songs that did not have a studio acapella or instrumental. and don't trust folks on youtube saying "official" anything.
soundcloud.com.