Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

assigning MIDI controls to my Behringer ddm4000 mixer

Product
Video-SL
Version
Video-SL
Scratch Live
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
Super DJ Jay Dee 7:32 PM - 29 November, 2009
Product: video-sl
Computer: pc
OS Version: vista
---

I bought a Behringer DDM400 mixer for its Midi control. I have Video SL, and I want to assign my crossfader to switch videos.... I bought the UNO cable, connected it right, and when I try to assign something, it turns red, but never turns green.... I know my cable is fine cause I used it on a Pionner SVM 1000 mixer last night, and the midi worked perfect. Everything I assigned turned green instantly.... I have read on the forums, that people downgraded to 1.8 and it worked... But can I still play videos if I downgrade?.. I also run Windows Vista on PC, so could that be a reason its not working?...... Please help...

Here is what Im working with..

Serato 1.9.2
Video SL 1.1
Behringer DDM 4000 Mixer (with Midi)
PC (windows vista)
Rane, Support
Zach S 7:14 PM - 1 December, 2009
Hello Jay,

You can either use a control on the DDM 4000 to function as it normally does or in midi mode but not both at the same time.
With that said, you won't be able to map the crossfader to the video fader in SSL and still be able to use the crossfader to mix your audio. Its either or which is the downside of this mixer.
What I would do is map a different slider on the mixer (one of the channel faders) to the video xfader in VSL.
You will still need to change whatever slider your using to "midi mode" before the slider can be mapped via midi.
Look in your DDM 4000 using manual regarding "midi mode". That should get things up and running for you.
Deejay Kam 5:31 PM - 3 December, 2009
Interesting, I also have this mixer, and have yet to use VSL with it, so in order to mix a video from one to another you would have to essentially use the xfader to cut or fade audio, while simultaneously having to use a line fader to mix the video?
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:54 PM - 3 December, 2009
Quote:
o in order to mix a video from one to another you would have to essentially use the xfader to cut or fade audio, while simultaneously having to use a line fader to mix the video?

Yes.. unfortunately this is how this mixer was designed:(
Konix 6:09 PM - 3 December, 2009
@Super DJ Jay Dee

Did you set which sections of the mixer you want to do as MIDI? You have to do that first in the DDM's console menu. Push and hold the console setup knob in the middle of the mixer under the LCD screen, go to MIDI, and check off which sections of the mixer you want to use a MIDI (sampler, crossfader, mic, and each of the individual channels).

@Deejay Kam

Unfortunately yes, the DDM crossfader can only do audio or only do MIDI, not both at the same time. If you want to do video with this mixer your only options are

1) Use the crossfader as audio, use a channel fader or knob as MIDI to crossfade the video, or

2) Use the crossfader as MIDI and mix the audio only with the channel faders. Obviously, this means no scratching (at least the audio, but pretty pointless to scratch the video only without cutting out the audio). But if you don't scratch this isn't too bad.
Deejay Kam 6:18 PM - 3 December, 2009
Thank you Konix and Zach, this seems like an awkward way to mix. I wonder what other alternatives there may be from the TTM57, that's for another thread. Thank you for the explanation!
Rane, Support
Zach S 7:03 PM - 3 December, 2009
The only other viable option we know of is to use the Pioneer DJM 800.
You can midi map the crossfader to the video fader and crossfade both video and audio at the same time.
The TTM57 is still, by far, the best way to go.
valter almeida 3:32 PM - 30 January, 2010
mixar audio e video crossfader vide-sl + ddm4000
Watchwww.youtube.com
Deejay Kam 9:38 PM - 30 January, 2010
Does he have his mixer hijacked to work both the midi and audio functions simultaneously? How did he do that?
CAW 7:45 AM - 31 January, 2010
Quote:
The only other viable option we know of is to use the Pioneer DJM 800.

The newer Denon mixers can do this just fine. (At least the DN-X1700 and the DN-X1600 can.) Both Ecler Evo mixers can do this as well. (The Evo 4 is probably better suited for Video-SL as it has the dedicated set of MIDI knobs. On the Evo 5, you'd have to dedicate a channel strip or two to MIDI control.)
DJ Sexual Chocolate 6:36 AM - 9 February, 2010
Quote:
mixar audio e video crossfader vide-sl + ddm4000
Watchwww.youtube.com

How did he get that to mix? I want to make sure it works before I buy it...
Konix 3:32 PM - 9 February, 2010
He modified his DDM so the crossfader does both MIDI and audio at the same time. Out of the box DDMs cannot do both audio and MIDI at the same time on the crossfader, this is well known and established, so do not go out buying a DDM and expect to do what he shows in the video.
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:57 PM - 9 February, 2010
Ya ... I was wondering how he did that?
1:20 AM, 2 Aug 2010
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.