DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Coffin or individual cases for CDJs?

msoultan 5:29 PM - 13 November, 2009
So, I bought two cases for my Pioneer 800s but now I'm thinking of going with a coffin instead. I've always had cases because my 1200s were ridiculously heavy and I wouldn't want to carry that entire thing, but I'm thinking now of going with a coffin because the CD decks are nowhere near as heavy. Plus, then I'm not tearing everything apart every time I have to bring the decks and mixer somewhere, which would be a big plus.

I'm debating whether or not to do it because I'll have to spend more on the coffin and probably have to pay a restocking fee (and drive them back). Any reasons why I should keep the individual cases over a coffin? I already have a case for my mixer, but that can come in handy for other stuff...

Thanks!
Mike
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:32 PM - 13 November, 2009
coffins just seem so much more difficult to transport
msoultan 5:36 PM - 13 November, 2009
Hmmmmm... well, the CD one would only be 41 inches long, which is significantly shorter than a coffin for 1200s. But yeah, that is an issue. It's just so nice to have all the cables already hooked up, especially when you only have one SL1 so you're constantly tearing it down and setting it back up at home..
Ingo B 5:54 PM - 13 November, 2009
I was considering the same move (cases to coffin), but literally the week before I was planning to buy one, I did a gig where I had to climb some ladder to access the DJ booth. Cases are more flexible when it comes to moving around. Plus, I've since moved back to 1200's once I transitioned to Serato.

Just handle the cables with care, or get some short RCA jumpers, and the box should be fine. The SL1 is pretty solid.
DJ Nin 8:49 PM - 13 November, 2009
I have these odyssey soft cases that I use to carry my CDJs...

cgi.ebay.com

Theyre overpriced, but I like them a lot for the most part. They are super light weight, and they make transporting CDJs hella easy.

They do have one downfall though---the shoulder straps on these cases are absolute garbage. They never want to stay fastened on the cases, so I replaced them. Other than that I like these cases a lot.
Blazin Vybes 9:17 PM - 13 November, 2009
i have both individual cases & large format coffin honestly depends on gig what i bring. many clubs have dual cd players so im more likely to walk in w/ my cdj1000 vs using the dual decks so individuals come in handy
msoultan 9:28 PM - 13 November, 2009
I ended up going for the coffin because I do enough mobile stuff that changing everything around all the time is a major PITA. However, I might look into getting some of those soft cases for when I need to transport them individually. Thanks for all the input - I appreciate it!!

Mike
Advocate 9:51 PM - 13 November, 2009
Individual cases all the way.
I find coffins to be to big and ackward.
Also in situations where you may need just a piece of the setup then you can always take just that part.
It's also better if you ever upgrade.
If you change from a 2 channel mixer to 4 channel, it may not fit in the coffin.
msoultan 10:02 PM - 13 November, 2009
yeah, I thought of that, but every single mixer I have ever got, or plan to get, is going to be a 10" mixer - don't see much reason for anything bigger. I think alot obviously depends on what I'm doing and resources available. I do still have an extra 10" mixer case which I'll put my extra mixer in and can still pull the CDJs out if I really need to. I do still have 1200s in cases, so I could also lug those puppies out as well.

I think it finally came down to the fact that most of the gigs are just me playing friends parties and stuff where I'm DJing the entire night. Just didn't seem to make sense to carry everything separately when I can just stick it all in one case, esp because I found one with wheels. No more hand-truck! :)

So yeah, we'll see how this goes - hopefully I don't totally regret the purchase, but I'll give it a shot. I've been a long-standing proponent for individual cases, but I also got annoyed with the setup-time required when I need to get stuff going quickly. This setup is significantly lighter so it should be a bit more tolerable...
DJ Doug Collins 12:57 AM - 14 November, 2009
If I could do it over again, I'd have individual cases for everything. I have a coffin I've been using a long time, and while it's not a HUGE inconvenience by any means because CDJ's are a lot lighter than real decks, I think I'd rather have cases for my CDJ's and mixer when a coffin isn't as practical (flight of stairs, etc.)
PopRoXxX 8:49 PM - 15 November, 2009
I used to use my individual cases. But I decided to try the Odyssey glide/console coffin case with wheels. Yes, it is heavy. But it does have wheels. Usually at a gig, there is always someone (security, buddy, etc.) to help you lift if need be.

I see it as exercise (considering I'm not getting a lot of that either at this moment). I trade light easy lifting, for setup time. My tables, mixer, video converter, power and main audio cables are always setup and ready to go. Open the top and pull out my main power & audio cable from underneath the right turntable. Plug in and go. I installed my own powerstrip behind the mixer with everything already connected power and all. Attach a 8ft power extension and whammo! I show up and have 10min of carrying and lifting (most likely with someone's help) and 10min of hookup.

AND

No messy wires/cables hanging everywhere. Plus it looks professional even when you have to setup on a table somewhere. It's like creating a mini DJ booth "almost"

I agree with individuals when you only need a piece of the puzzle in some venues. But everywhere I play they have some cheap 16"-19" four channel mixer and some CD players (usually not the best of quality - for my standards). I'd rather choose to play on my techs any night. So since none of the venues I play even have techs in the DJ booth the missing puzzle piece for me is - everything. Lol
msoultan 4:54 AM - 17 November, 2009
I think DJ PopRoXXX nailed it for me. Having all the cables draped all over the place drove me nuts, especially when you're trying to set up something quickly and have it look good. God knows how many times I've connected something backwards and had line 1 going to line2 and vice versa - and that's with labels on the wires! hehe.. With a coffin, I'm able to have everything neat and tucked away and ready to go at a moment's notice...

That said, everyone's got their ideal setup. One thing I also struggled with was where to put the SL1 box, but I found that the Marathon cases put a ton of foam underneath the mixer. I'm going to cut out a nice little hole for the SL1 and stuff it in there under the mixer :)
Shoby 10:41 AM - 6 November, 2017
Dear Fellow DJs,

I am hoping to get your opinion on this. I often travel around quite a bit and need to carry my cdjs along with me. I have two cdj CTRL Magma cases.

I am looking for a way/suggestions where I can carry both these cases easily in one hand since I also have a trolley bag with my laptop and everything in my other hand. A lot of times I need to travel by train (if I was travelling by car this wouldn't have been an issue.

Looking forward to your suggestions.
Cheers!
msoultan 5:11 PM - 6 November, 2017
Shoby,
You might want to start a new thread specifically titled to what it is you're asking (i.e. "how can I easily carry two CDJs?) as you'll probably get more responses than burying it at the bottom of my thread.
Taipanic 8:57 PM - 7 November, 2017
Quote:
Dear Fellow DJs,

I am hoping to get your opinion on this. I often travel around quite a bit and need to carry my cdjs along with me. I have two cdj CTRL Magma cases.

I am looking for a way/suggestions where I can carry both these cases easily in one hand since I also have a trolley bag with my laptop and everything in my other hand. A lot of times I need to travel by train (if I was travelling by car this wouldn't have been an issue.

Cheers!

Quote:
Dear Fellow DJs,

Cheers!

I'd say the best way is to get a small, fold-able dolly like this:
www.lowes.com

or get a controller with a bag that also holds you laptop, headphones, etc...