Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Continuous video to play while using Video SL

Color TV 6:38 AM - 4 November, 2009
While playing a video set, I want a movie or some other video to continuously play in the background for when i mix to a non-video assigned MP3. This would be useful to play your entire library (videos and MP3s) and not need to worry about a black screen when no video is assigned. The movie would keep playing without starting from the beginning every time for non video/video assigned file.

Also this feature would be useful to play an set MP3s with a movie continuously playing.
This would make getting started with Video DJing much easier.
DJSi UK 5:04 AM - 6 November, 2009
This would be cool to run club adverts in the background when music video is not playing such as drink prices, upcoming events etc...
d. and chedda 9:12 PM - 4 November, 2010
couldn't find this topic anywhere else. is it possible to run a movie in the background yet?
VJ Justin Allen 1:09 AM - 5 November, 2010
You need to think about resource use. Think about this, you have a video playing on the left side, and a video playing on the right side. And now you also want a 3rd video playing in the background all the time.

That's a lot of resources happening all at once and the potential for a glitch happening is pretty high.

What would be nice is a hot button to load a video in the empty track whenever it is pushed. You click the button and it looks for an empty video track and loads there. It stays there until another video is loaded or until you unload it manually. If both video windows are empty it loads in both of them (kinda like instant doubles for videos)

Just a thought.
radikarl 1:02 PM - 5 November, 2010
use a quartz file that plays a video.
if you use that quartz file for every track you play, and as transition use the default, then i think this should be possible.
i think i could code that.
radikarl 1:41 PM - 5 November, 2010
update: i made one.
it works the following way:
put my qtz file in a folder, next to one movie.

the qtz automatically elects the first movie in the folder where it resides itself

there is also a xml in that folder. edit that XML with a text editor and put the desired starttime for your movie in it, in this format: HHmmSS (hours minutes seconds)

now all you need to do is load my qtz file for your mp3s. playback of the movie should proceed regardless of track change.

open issue: i think at midnight the playhead would jump.

if anyone is interested in this, report back and i will share with you.
Color TV 3:41 PM - 5 November, 2010
this is interesting but seems too complicated. Do you do the setup at home then use it or do you have to do this live when you play?
radikarl 3:47 PM - 5 November, 2010
you would only have to associate the files at home to your mp3s.
only thing you had to do on the gig is to put the start time in the xml. so the movie knows when to start. it will play in an infinite loop from then on.
if you don't do that changing of the xml then it will just start somewhere in the middle and once it reaches the end, restart
radikarl 8:39 PM - 19 June, 2011
i just released something for you:
serato.com
Mattatya 4:56 AM - 18 January, 2012
This would be great for us DJ's who do 80% Audio and 20% Video. I'm going to start a help post about how long a video length can play and a couple other questions. Can't find length of video question anywhere. I have 30min and 60min previously made VJ loops with ad drops and such. Being able to play these would help not being able to do continuous.
DJBIGWIZ 3:14 AM - 26 January, 2012
radikarl makes some great Quartz Compositions but another method of doing this that does not rely on Quartz Compositions (which is good for PC users) is possible. It requires some work and may not be easy to keep track of for some people but it is a possible workaround if you really need to do this. Also, it takes away some of your vinyl manipulating freedom which to some people doesn't matter as they just want to mix one song int another all night and have the same movie, video etc play uninterrupted. It's much easier with the Sixty-Eight or SL-3, SL-4 and a mixer with more than 2 channels. But for a 2 channel mixer scenario...
You will play your audio tracks from the same channel and mix between that channels deck and the sp-6.
For Example:
*Load the movie you want to play on CH 2 and unlink the video fader from the audio fader

*Set the SP-6 audio to play from Ch 2 output

*Play a track and once it's at the BPM you want, drag the virtual deck to an open slot in the SP-6 and the track will start playing in time from the same spot, fade the cross fader over to channel 2 (the output from the SP-6)

*load your next song to CH 1 in SSL and mix it into the currently playing song... fade the first one out and then drag the new one to the SP-6 and fade to ch 2

*repeat until you want to switch the video playing or get back to normal video mixing.

I know it's not ideal but it is a workaround and will let you mix audio and keep the same video playing for now until there is a better way. Use it or not, it's a fix.
tomatoslice 7:14 PM - 30 January, 2012
Mix Emergency will do it
Mattatya 11:40 PM - 29 February, 2012
I have done to live sets using SV and audio and mixing a 2nd laptop with visuals using a composite input switch. It is terrible how it flashes off. I have been holding out on doing any big purchases till March when SV update is announced. In the meantime I have been trying to track down a AV fader box for cheap cheap. I found a karaoke AV mixer for $200 but that is still to much for something that I am hoping is temporary after the March release.

I have been searching online all week and found something today for $40 after shipping. I don't know if it will do the trick or loose quality but I'm hoping it will work. Its simply a 2 channel fader that can do video or audio. I called the company and asked if it would only do the audio of video and they stated it has composite in back. This would be amazing quick cheap fix if it works for fading music videos from one computer to visuals from another device such as computer, dvd player and such.

Crosses fingers it works and I'll report back for those looking for a cheap alternative to using a switch box.

It's $29.00 us plus shipping www.rpelectronics.com

To get it in other countries here is a list of distributors www.circuittest.com