Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

SSL OS X crash

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
DJ 3pm 1:11 AM - 13 July, 2004
My SSL keeps crashing after I turn on my external HD (screen goes gray and get the reset instructions in multiple languages). It loads a majority of the songs, then crashes "Reading Tags". Is there a file number limit or anything?

SSL worked fine until I tried to add a few more folders from the "Music" folder on my external HD. I uninstalled and re-installed, deleted the plist and whatnot.

OS 10.3.4, 15" PowerBook, 1.25GHz, 512MB

Any all help appreciated.
DJ 3pm 2:05 AM - 13 July, 2004
Here is a what SSL hangs on (the particular file is not always the same). The external HD name is "Mystery Machine". The filepath should be /Mystery Machine/Music/... , but I notice it shows up as Mystery Machine//Music/... (with an extra / before Music). This is the only music that loads automatically, it doesn't pick-up random audio files on the internal HD.

www.pixelcreek.com

This is the crash screen I was speaking about, if there was any doubt...

www.pixelcreek.com

Is there a corrupt file or something? Does it matter that this music folder is also used by another DJ program (MegaSeg), though not at the same time?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Sam 3:11 AM - 13 July, 2004
Hi DJ 3pm. Have you upgraded to Scratch LIVE 1.1?
DJ 3pm 1:39 PM - 13 July, 2004
Yeah, I couldn't even get the 1.0 that came on the CD to work.
Rane, Support
Shaun W 3:42 PM - 13 July, 2004
What are the specs of the external harddrive?
DJ 3pm 3:46 PM - 13 July, 2004
Not sure if it matters, but I dl'ed the 1.1 update posted here. When I went to install, the installer told me I was installing v. 1.0 even though Get Info tells me its 1.1.

When the external drive is plugged in, the songs populate in the list. About 15 seconds later, it starts "Reading Tags" and then crashes. This all started when I realized that SSL wasn't refreshing my drive contents automatically.

The external HD is a 160GB Seagate w/8MB cache in a Firewire/USB case (unbranded) with an Oxford 922 chipset controller, connecting via Firewire. I will try to go home today at lunch and try via USB2 to see if that makes a difference.

I assumed that just by dumping music in the Music folder on that drive that it would load in SSL. Not the case. This was about 4 or 5 albums into updating the music collection, so I figured if I just dragged (is that even a word?) the Music folder from the external volume in the Finder onto the SSL window it would pick the new folders out from the old. Not the case. It put duplicates of the songs into the SSL library: see the readingtags.jpg linked above for an example (Jay-Z: The Gold Album, *sorry about picture, low-light + cameraphone = bad picture).

Now, everytime I start up, it crashes almost before I can even map a song to one of the turntables.
DJ 3pm 7:47 PM - 13 July, 2004
Some problem when connecting the drive via USB 2
Rane, Support
Shaun W 8:24 PM - 13 July, 2004
FYI: Unrelated to Scratch LIVE, I have heard of some computers having problems reading big 160GB external harddrives. Just a heads up.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Steve W 10:57 PM - 13 July, 2004
Does it crash if the Interface is not connected? Could you please email your panic.log to support@serato.com, you can find it in /Library/Logs/ on your boot disk.
DJ 3pm 11:13 PM - 13 July, 2004
The drive works fine in the Finder as well as MegaSeg, Final Cut Pro, Photoshop, and every other app that I have tried it with. Computer is set to ignore permissions on the drive, but I have Read/Write permission regardless.

I have found that while it doesn't always crash on the same file, it usually crashes on the same folder (though not always). I noticed the folder ends with a period (as in Volume/Folder./Audio.mp3), this doesn't matter to the OS, does it matter to SSL?

If the interface isn't connected, it doesn't always crash. In fact, regardless of the interface being plugged in, sometimes SSL won't even load. I just get the spinning beachball infront of a gray screen. I can't Force Quit the app or do anything in any other application or the Finder. When this happens, i am forced to hard restart.

BTW: external power supply (Radio Shack model), powered USB hub, no external power supply: All get the same result.
DJ 3pm 2:33 AM - 14 July, 2004
Installed SSL 1.1 on another machine, same problem:
12" PowerBook 867 MHz
640MB RAM

Tried once with OS 10.3.2, iTunes 4.5
Tried once with OS 10.3.4, iTunes 4.6

Same issue. Now crashes more consistently in a different folder. This folder has a long name with a variety of characters including:
- ( .
What is the file/folder name restriction (as in max char length etc.)?
DJ 3pm 3:14 AM - 14 July, 2004
Quote:
Does it crash if the Interface is not connected? Could you please email your panic.log to support@serato.com, you can find it in /Library/Logs/ on your boot disk.

I misunderstood you. You said interface and I meant hard drive. I tried on the 15" (original thread) Powerbook with the Scratch Amp not plugged in. This offered similar, but differnt results: instead of crashing the computer, it just Unexpectedly Quits. Here is the log that it prompts me to send to Apple:

www.pixelcreek.com

Is this a step in the right direction?
DJ 3pm 5:03 PM - 15 July, 2004
Not that I thought it would make much of a difference, but I tried SSL on another machine with the same results. I deleted the .Scratch folder on the external HD before importing. This time I imported by browsing the external HD in SSL and dragging the Music folder over to the left pane. Specs this time:

20" iMac 1.25GHz, 768MB RAM
OS 10.4 (8A162)

Here is a link to that crash log:

www.pixelcreek.com
DJ 3pm 5:25 PM - 15 July, 2004
OK, so I think I've narrowed it down to 1 rogue MP3 file. I removed the latest file SSL seemed to keep crashing on, and now nothing is crashing (15" Powerbook 1.25GHz). I am at work, but will run home @ lunch to test w/interface plugged in.

It was my impression that no mp3 file would make SSL crash. I thought I read that in a post from one of the forum moderators (can't find the post to quote right now). I have read some of the PC users talking about verifying mp3's and whatnot, what is this all about? I can't seem to find a Mac program, suggestions?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Sam 11:44 PM - 15 July, 2004
Hello DJ 3pm. No MP3 file should crash Scratch LIVE. If the file is less than 5 mb, please email to support[at]serato[dot]com. If it is bigger than 5 mb, then go to ftp.serato.com and upload it into the incoming folder there that would be a great help. If you use FTP, please email us and let us know that you have uploaded it.
cashless clay 3:02 PM - 21 July, 2004
Quote:
Not that I thought it would make much of a difference, but I tried SSL on another machine with the same results. I deleted the .Scratch folder on the external HD before importing. This time I imported by browsing the external HD in SSL and dragging the Music folder over to the left pane. Specs this time:

20" iMac 1.25GHz, 768MB RAM
OS 10.4 (8A162)

Here is a link to that crash log:

www.pixelcreek.com

Where did you get a Tiger Beta?!!!! How can I get one?!!!
DJ 3pm 3:39 PM - 26 July, 2004
Sam- Sorry, I've been out of town for a week. I will send the .mp3 file when I get home from work.

Cashless - All you need to do is join the Apple Developer Conference (developer.apple.com), you will always have access to beta software. I assume that SSL is being tested on 10.4 by the fine developers at Serato.