DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Sticky B1 - B6 Buttons Alternative

DJ Rumors 5:26 PM - 19 October, 2009
I know everyone has posted and highly recommended Deoxit Spray for sticky buttons, but I accidentally stumbled on a alternative method.

NOTE: I am not sayin this is BETTER! Simply sayin this is an ALERNATIVE if you cant get hands on Deoxit and you can probably use this as a BACKUP method.

FIRST: Follow these instructions on taking TTM57 apart: ssl-wiki.help.bootlegs.de

SUBSTITUTE: Deoxit or any other contact spray with WD-40. The key is to use it SPARINGLY (REPEAT: SPARINGLY) and immediately spray buttons using your normal DUST REMOVER spray. The purpose of the Dust Remover spray is really to help spread the oil and SPRAY AWAY any EXCESSIVE WD-40 oil in the button(s) itself.

As recommended. use a cloth or in my case I used several Q-tips to clean away any excessive oil between buttons on circuit board. Put everything back together, and allow to dry a few more hours, or in my case over nite (since I chose to do this repair at nite).

Button(s) will be just like brand new!

Note: Continue to press button(s) as you're using the Dust Free spray to work the oil in the button(s).

Last Note: As we all know OIL does attract dust, therefore use every measure possible to keep mixer covered when not in use to DECREASE the amount of dust that will accumulate in button(s) again.
nik39 9:06 PM - 22 October, 2009
No, never ever use WD40! No! Ask Rane staff, they will confirm.
Dj.Mojo 11:09 AM - 23 October, 2009
Isn´t WD40 some kind of heavy grease that automechanics use?
DJ Rumors 12:39 PM - 23 October, 2009
All I'm saying is that it worked very well. I'm not saying to be an idiot and soak your mixer down with it. Read the my VERY FIRST NOTE in the post. There's nothing wrong with having an ALTERNATE way of doing things at times...we all have been in a "pinch" throughout our lives. This is merely a TEMPORARY solution and I was very careful to use words such as "sparingly" and other cautionary measures.
Please dont turn this into a immature thread...I've read many posts on here on TEMPORARY FIXES to things..this is simply one of those. If you dont agree...say you dont and move on..it's not that major!
nobspangle 1:58 PM - 23 October, 2009
Quote:
Isn´t WD40 some kind of heavy grease that automechanics use?

WD40 is a very light lubricant, I think it's silicon based in some kind of oil suspension. It's very good for squeaky hinges, sticky padlocks, it can even help start a damp engine as it's very good for driving off water.
I don't think it would be a very good thing to spray on contact switches, it's designed to leave a thin film of oil on any surface with which it comes into contact. That doesn't sound like the best recipe for a good electrical circuit.
DJ Rumors 5:03 PM - 23 October, 2009
Nobspangle.... I do appreciate the straight forward response. Thanks. Point well noted!
nik39 8:04 PM - 23 October, 2009
.. what he said :)

Plus... I don't even use the original de-oxid.. You can use basically any de-oxidizinig spray.
ScottyOhh! 12:33 PM - 24 October, 2009
You will want to use something, if at all possiblle, that will evaporate quickly and will not leave a reidue behind that will cause corrsion between the contacts of your buttons / switches. While one may think that WD-40 would be a good choice because it is Water Displacement, formula #40 developed by the Navy, it is not a di-electric and will cause corrosion in the end....Which is definately something you are not going to want to deal with!

Best be is to keep it dusted off regularly and use a di-electric type of solvent (Electrical Contact Cleaner), which can usually be purchased at any autoparts store cheaply if the manufacturer's reccomended product cannot be obtained. (Be sure that you get one that is safe for plastic!...No brake cleaner!)

Im sure that the WD-40 seemed to work very well because of its ability to clean and lubricate, so it was in intentions that you posted this, but to save your mixer I advise against it!
DJ Rumors 12:49 PM - 24 October, 2009
ScottyOhh, I ppreciate the sincere and informative advice. I will be purchasing some contact cleaner and re-cleaning my buttons to be sure I remove all possible residues left by the WD-40. Again..I only used this as an alternative and quick fix method at the time. Thanks to everyone for their responses! Lesson well learned here!
DJ Dill Pickle 10:33 AM - 29 October, 2009
permanent solution; outsource performance critical cueing, looping, etc to a 25 key midi board and sit ontop of mixer. voila.
DJ Rumors 2:24 PM - 29 October, 2009
Quote:
permanent solution; outsource performance critical cueing, looping, etc to a 25 key midi board and sit ontop of mixer. voila.

Yes, I do have a Nano Pad which I can use for that recommendation...but after paying over $1500 for this mixer...my azz gonna USE these damn BUTTONS ! LMAOOO!
DJ Dill Pickle 11:05 AM - 30 October, 2009
FX, setting cues, pitch/key control. panic, undo, inst double.... pretty much anything i use that I don't have to have work on the strike, every strike.
paulorpviana@hotmail.com 7:30 PM - 3 November, 2015
I agree, wd 40 works great in ttm buttons b1 57 keys, I had a key that was failing and with a little wd runs like new for years