Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Hackintosh

marcA 12:10 PM - 18 October, 2009
well just wanted to tell this story...
so i was a bit fed up with my enterprise line Dell precision M90 (wanted to ephasize this cause this hardware is supposed to be superior in every way, and guess what, it's not) and using it to hook up the NS7 and be able to run Itch...
after many hours of reinstalling XP and tweaking i got so far that it ran at 1ms reliable, so far so good.
but hearing all these great OSX things i decided to give it a try without buying the hardware. so i strolled around the net and got me some installer that brought leopard on my dell.
it ran absolutely slow...i mean everything...
so i guessed well it is the hardware that isn't natively supported so i got the snow version and installed...same thing...
this took me far more time than getting XP running reliable.
so what i'm trying to say here is that OSX on non Apple hardware isn't worth the effort, heck if i'm counting all the time it took me to get it running it was cheaper to buy the MBP...
i'm not saying that it can't be done, i guess if one does have the exact same hardware it must run but if you don't well...
so, to sum it up i'm back to windows, OSX didn't feel comfortable either but that is a question of habit i think.
and i'm quite sure that a native platform is very good, i saw a mac in action (beautiful display, very crisp) and it ran very well...
i'm going to have to wait till i get a piece of apple hardware before i can appreciate that wonderful fruit.
oh well just my thought on a sunny sunday afternoon
going to install W7 pro to see what that gives, 32 and 64bit :)
djcerla 12:49 PM - 18 October, 2009
+1

also, ITCH-capable MacBooks are on sale on eBay for affordable prices nowadays... getting a used MacBook as a spare machine could make much sense (I'm sure it would become the primary machine soon, tho ;)
czar 7:56 PM - 18 October, 2009
efixna.com

yes imintoyou. :)
marcA 7:39 AM - 19 October, 2009
All that’s needed to use the EFI-X™ module is a computer system based on the EFI-X™ Hardware Compatibility List (HCL), and you’re up and running

thats the drawback
but interesting though...
marcA 7:45 AM - 19 October, 2009
a bit expensive too :)
Numark, Support
sbangs 7:51 AM - 19 October, 2009
A hackintosh will never perform as well as a native system for the same reason why bootcamp is slower on a Mac, its run in a virtual environment as it has to fake the bootchips and other apple devices.
marcA 7:59 AM - 19 October, 2009
indeed
and it is not worth the time and effort to get it up and running imho

that said, i'm offered a MBP that got refurbished (suffered from some wine bathing)
its a 4.1 type?
core 2 duo 2.4
2gb mem
200gb disk
15.4 "

sounds good?
jeffrey1790 5:11 AM - 23 October, 2009
I built a hackintosh for a fraction of the price of a real mac.

2.93 core 2 duo.
4gb ddr2, 1tb hdd. nvidia 9500gt

for 650CDN.

runs incredibly stable on snow leopard with the vestax vci-300 and itch. :D
czar 5:56 AM - 23 October, 2009
Quote:

2.93 core 2 duo.

for 650CDN.

great! are using EFI-X?
marcA 6:34 AM - 23 October, 2009
laptop?
Andre Fu 10:57 AM - 23 October, 2009
Quote:
+1

also, ITCH-capable MacBooks are on sale on eBay for affordable prices nowadays... getting a used MacBook as a spare machine could make much sense (I'm sure it would become the primary machine soon, tho ;)

I'm inclined to agree with you DJCerla.

I have always been firmly in the PC crowd and was using a 17 " Samsung R710 for gigs. It ran like a peach but was an absolute beast to carry about. So Ibit the bullet and bought a 13" Black MBP off Ebay, it was £350, and had only been used for word processing so runs perfectly as a dedicated DJ machine.

I had considered going the hackintosh route but am now thanking myself for having invested in a Mac...there, I said it! Save yourself the bother and buy a used MBP.
Andre Fu 11:01 AM - 23 October, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
+1

I have always been firmly in the PC crowd and was using a 17 " Samsung R710 for gigs. It ran like a peach but was an absolute beast to carry about. So Ibit the bullet and bought a 13" Black MBP off Ebay, it was £350, and had only been used for word processing so runs perfectly as a dedicated DJ machine.

I had considered going the hackintosh route but am now thanking myself for having invested in a Mac...there, I said it! Save yourself the bother and buy a used MBP.

Oops, I meant MB not MBP...
k_one 12:06 PM - 23 October, 2009
Quote:
A hackintosh will never perform as well as a native system for the same reason why bootcamp is slower on a Mac, its run in a virtual environment as it has to fake the bootchips and other apple devices.

Slower on a mac? According to PC-World, the fastest notebook to run Windows Vista iss a MacBook Pro ;)

www.pcworld.com
Ian Williams 12:14 PM - 23 October, 2009
....& bootcamp isn't a virtual enviroment.

you're getting confused between bootcamp & emulation software that runs within OSX

If you start up your mac in windows/bootcamp, windows is running natively on the apple hardware. You don't boot in to OSX at all, you go straight to windows running screamingly fast.
czar 12:15 PM - 23 October, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

Slower on a mac? According to PC-World, the fastest notebook to run Windows Vista iss a MacBook Pro ;)

www.pcworld.com

im sorry but under whoever produced the test... I am sure windows will run at the same speed under machines of the same specifications.. that test is from 2007 and saying that apple will run windows faster is understandable under certain circumstances.
czar 12:15 PM - 23 October, 2009
lalalala
Antony Ellis 1:21 PM - 23 October, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
+1

was gonna say....MBP for £350....you got any more!!!!!! lol
Cid K 3:06 PM - 23 October, 2009
Quote:

That is not correct, Windows run NATIVE with bootcamp, it is not a VIrtual Machine. And honestly, i tried it and Windows XP and Windows 7 runs very very fast on my Macbook Pro.

Also take notice that Apple wrote all the drivers that works with it's hardware for Windows.
jeffrey1790 5:10 PM - 23 October, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

2.93 core 2 duo.

for 650CDN.

great! are using EFI-X?

nope. using pcefi 10.5, with a patched dsdt.aml, and an nVidia graphics string. running Vanilla Snow Leopard natively. if you decide to build one, check out www.insanelymac.com for tutorials, supported boards, etc. :)
czar 9:27 PM - 23 October, 2009
ha! I tried so many flavors and all the patching made my nose bleed lol not literally... but yea EFI-x seems easy unless you can understand what I couldn't.
Numark, Support
sbangs 12:35 PM - 24 October, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

www.pcworld.com

It really depends what your using it for it does not really offer a stable live environment we have found in our testing of various apps.
Numark, Support
sbangs 12:36 PM - 24 October, 2009
Suffice to say we advise against using a hackintosh, if you choose to do so and it works great, if not sorry we did advise against it.
Numark, Support
sbangs 12:42 PM - 24 October, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

That is not correct, Windows run NATIVE with bootcamp, it is not a VIrtual Machine. And honestly, i tried it and Windows XP and Windows 7 runs very very fast on my Macbook Pro.

Also take notice that Apple wrote all the drivers that works with it's hardware for Windows.

It runs native in a sense as it its not run entirely within a virtual environment but underneath is a software/hardware hypervisor which allows the OS to use the hardware. This sits between the psychical hardware and the OS and can lead to latency.

Again if boot camp works for you great :-) I just dont want any one to be disappointed with their system.
kraal 3:58 PM - 24 October, 2009
Quote:

Again if boot camp works for you great :-) I just dont want any one to be disappointed with their system.

best advice in awhile on this subject