DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

HP & Dr. Dre ENVY Limited Edition Beats Laptop

tekpro 8:40 PM - 15 October, 2009
If anyone cops this let us know how this rocks with ScratchLive users. I'm a Mac user but a big Dr. Dre fan, although I do not have the Beats by Dre Headphones, I would rather try out the new Rane DJ Headphones.

www.engadget.com
tekpro 8:50 PM - 15 October, 2009
Quote:
I would rather try out the new Rane DJ Headphones.

www.engadget.com

I meant to say Shure DJ Headphones

www.shure.com
RubixDigitales 2:03 PM - 17 October, 2009
What's the bet that this 'beats' laptop runs serato like crap?

I've only ever been left feeling underwhelmed with HP. My last laptop was a HP which i purchased with the sole purpose of running serato in mind. The funny thing is that most PC laptops which have been marketed less towards music/video production run serato better than those which have. (e.g. Dell Studio which suffers from audio dropout & firmware issues vs Dell Inspiron which is heaps cheaper, worse specs & runs serato like a dream).

As for the active nosie cancelling headphones like the Dr Dre beats headphones, you'll find any sealed headphone which has a little more padding will cancel out more noise passively than any active noise cancelers.

Don't beleave the hype... peace
djbagz 12:17 AM - 26 October, 2010
im getting the envy 15 witt dre deats...
i-7 core
6 ddr3 mem
750 hard drive
LED HP Ultra BrightView Widescreen Display (1920x1080)
ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 4830 Graphics with up to 2779MB total graphics memory with 1GB dedicated
Dre beats audio

laptop is a beast...i only paid 1k USD....

ill update how she goes when i get it...

prattttttttt
boabmatic 11:46 AM - 26 October, 2010
I was nearly sold just by the red back lit keys :) looks great spec but it would be hard going back to a windows laptop after using my 13inch mbp for so long...

the red beats logo on the lid should have lit up also !!!
eder 7:56 AM - 28 October, 2010
hackintosh, anyone?
boabmatic 10:30 AM - 28 October, 2010
read a few posts that there was some issues hackintoshing the evny range...

hackintoshed my old sony but some of the hardware wasn't supported (biggest one being the internal screen :), external monitor was working)

so ended up just getting a mbp after playing with OSX on the sony :)
latinng204 4:17 PM - 28 October, 2010
the envy laptop has really good specs and it is supposed to be great for working with music BUT it does not mean it will run ssl flawlessly.
what i mean here is that maybe if your are playin music directly from the laptop out of the laptops speakers, the sound may be extraordinary but serato users don't play music through laptop speakers therefore the quality will only be as good as your sound system. i had a pair of beats headphones... i liked the design and was ok with the sound but the wiring sucked monkey, feels cheap IMO. if you are looking to get some quality noise canceling headphones around the same price, check out bose.
even though we all love to have really great sound in our headphones, it matter very little since if you are getting paid for playin music as a dj, the customer is not going to listen to your headphones for the party but listen to what comes out of the main speakers instead
djbagz 11:56 AM - 1 November, 2010
okay well i have had the envy 15 for just over a week....very nice laptop

with the icore7 im not sure if thats the issue but im getting alot of drop outs...
My envy 15 did not come with backlite keyboard which i think is a must when in the clubs..makes it alot easier.....
mine has 1920x1080p which is sharp and so clear u cant beat it.....
the speakers aint the best for sound but that dont matter....(if u plug it to a pc sound system it works like whoa...great sound with earphones also but honestly no bigger...

but other then that its a great laptop..jst hope i can fix the drop outs and we get a fix for icore chips...

8.5/10
latinng204 12:44 PM - 1 November, 2010
the windows legacy of drop outs has affected yet one more nice lookin computer hahaha, get a mac
Barber 2:19 AM - 1 February, 2011
Quote:
okay well i have had the envy 15 for just over a week....very nice laptop

with the icore7 im not sure if thats the issue but im getting alot of drop outs...
My envy 15 did not come with backlite keyboard which i think is a must when in the clubs..makes it alot easier.....
mine has 1920x1080p which is sharp and so clear u cant beat it.....
the speakers aint the best for sound but that dont matter....(if u plug it to a pc sound system it works like whoa...great sound with earphones also but honestly no bigger...

but other then that its a great laptop..jst hope i can fix the drop outs and we get a fix for icore chips...

8.5/10

Don't you guys ever learn? lol. Stop skimming and GET A MAC. They just work. Right out of the box. They just work. Save yourself some headache, chalk this up as experience, put that piece of crap on ebay, and get yourself a mac. Oh! And I recommend getting it from an Apple store and not a reseller.
Niro 4:50 AM - 1 February, 2011
Haha, just saw this thread. I was talked to about endorsement with HP last year at the X-games. But I do video and use a mac. HP had some DJ's perform and they were all using macs. So they had them put their macbooks behind the dre laptops. They did a really good job angling them, but if you were on the side enough, you could see the apple logo peaking thru. I'm gonna try and find the photos of it.
Barber 7:03 AM - 2 February, 2011
Quote:
Haha, just saw this thread. I was talked to about endorsement with HP last year at the X-games. But I do video and use a mac. HP had some DJ's perform and they were all using macs. So they had them put their macbooks behind the dre laptops. They did a really good job angling them, but if you were on the side enough, you could see the apple logo peaking thru. I'm gonna try and find the photos of it.

Haaaaaa Haaaaaa. Pleeeeeez find those pics.
Shoaib 6:26 AM - 25 October, 2011
Yeah sure you are right man this machine is awesome