DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

SSL, the DJ community, 2005 and beyond...

m0rph! 8:18 PM - 20 December, 2004
Is anybody out there having problems gaining acceptance from fellow DJs because of using SSL instead of vinyl? Or has your general experience been that nobody is really concerned what you make your music with... as long as the beats are funky?
chee_nz 8:57 PM - 20 December, 2004
I'm having a hard time convincing people to go for SSL over FS / FS2! Fools...
DJ 3pm 9:00 PM - 20 December, 2004
most of the dj's i run across are just cd-jockeys anyway, so if anything i'm more legit than they are.
chubbsta 2:48 AM - 21 December, 2004
i say screw those ignorant bastards that won't accept you spinning with SSL. It's not like the software takes away any of the work you do... You still spin yourself! So fuck 'em, I say!
BadCompany 3:54 AM - 21 December, 2004
i say fuck 'um too... if people dont accept it then they are just closed minded... i have come across a few closed minded peeps who wont give SL (or anything digital) a chance... personally i think its funny and I just laugh at them...

...IMO its called taking it to the next level, ill mix with whatever i can... CDs, vinyl, shit i even mix in and out of SL with traktor dj studio thats pure software!... embrace technology or watch it leave you behind ;)
bartaug 8:10 AM - 21 December, 2004
Convince them with playing a rocking set, with a lot of your own remixes and edits.....
Brandon Fisher (BLF DJ Supply) 10:44 AM - 21 December, 2004
It really shouldn't matter on the medium you are using just the result. I use CD, MP3 (ssl), and vinyl. I prefer CD and CD controlled MP3 though.
Detroitbootybass 6:46 PM - 21 December, 2004
Some people aren't very accepting of the setup, especially vinyl purists... but, they do have some very good points when it comes to overall sound quality. I accept that tradeoff for the ability to carry my whole collection on my laptop - instead of lugging multiple crates of heavy 12"s. I also like the fact that my precious records can be safely put away and I can use the digital file instead of adding more wear and tear to my vinyl.
yuri 6:52 PM - 21 December, 2004
There will always be people that will hate on something just because they cant/dont do it themselves. Just dont give in to peoples accusations about these type of systems and stay confident... obviously there is a growing community for this stuff as we can all see :}
DJ 3pm 6:54 PM - 21 December, 2004
Quote:
There will always be people that will hate on something just because they cant/dont do it themselves.

this is why i hate threesomes
djkenace 1:51 AM - 22 December, 2004
hehe I say do it all, use SSL, vinyl, and CDs thats what I do. I carry one record bag, one cd case, and my laptop case. SO NO questions and all answers. LOL. But a good friend of mine pointed out about vinyl not every monkey can get the latest or greatest on vinyl. So if your using vinyl its an EGO thing. :-)
djkenace 1:53 AM - 22 December, 2004
ooh wait i forgot to add the one case of dvds too. So yeah do it all Vinyl, CDS, SSL, DVDs. You cant go wrong. LOL.
Zion-Prayz 3:11 AM - 25 December, 2004
And imagine, Jazzy Jeff, A-Trak, DJ Revolution, and The 45 King sellin' out. Just what is this DJ world coming to? :)
Szalony Wariat 1:08 AM - 26 December, 2004
My friends dj's say that they will never buy such thing like SSL or FS2. They both probably would say that this has no feeling and it doesnt sound like real stuff and they prefer to buy records. I can understand them but also cant be blind for profits of using SSL.
I'm owner of SSL since few days and must say that this is kind a revolution. Its not another edition of CD player, not another effect box, its different system wich makes You thnik in other way about vinyl and Your set, Your style of playing. Now I can make my own remixes or single tracks or whatever and still play them on vinyl. If I want intro of track to be longer I just copy and paste. Want it louder? No problem. Put original track backward and play it as normal vinyl.
I'm amazed with abilities of this box. :)

And this beat-match window is so great. I usually dont have problems with mixing tracks but when You mix two tracks sometimes its hard to recognize wich one You should correct (specially when You mix house etc..) and now I just see wich goes to slow and correct it in second.

:)
nik39 5:33 AM - 26 December, 2004
Quote:
If I want intro of track to be longer I just copy and paste.

Imagine you could do this inside SSL, set loop points _and_ arrange certain parts... WOW :)
Revolutionary 7:15 AM - 26 December, 2004
SSL is great for aspiring producers like myself who want to play their beats in the club. You know what I'm saying? Just make a hot beat, export it as a .wav-file and load it into SSL. Then you just put some kick-ass scratching over that. Imagine how complicated this would be for guys like me if I didn't have SSL...
Szalony Wariat 11:53 AM - 26 December, 2004
About 2 years ago my friends had to make test pressing records with their beats, acapellas. Expensive and records get damaged after a while. Now I just take unreleased accapela or beat and put it on SSL.