Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

SYNC finally fixed in ITCH 2.0, beatgrid enters the arena

djcerla 9:49 AM - 1 October, 2009
from Serato press release:

Quote:
Serato have adopted new synchronization options for this next generation of ITCH. An additional beat grid has been added to make quick work of more complex mix arrangements.

Amen.

As I've already said, Gods are listening to our humble prayers.
marcA 9:55 AM - 1 October, 2009
hopefully working with all controllers these features will :)
(and now back to using the force)
:)
djcerla 9:56 AM - 1 October, 2009
take it for granted
wadup 12:27 PM - 1 October, 2009
seems like this feature only apply to A&H hardware, again if this be the case wtf is going through serato mind.
djcerla 12:31 PM - 1 October, 2009
Quote:
seems like this feature only apply to A&H hardware

NO.

From a software house standpoint it just doesn't make sense to have two different SYNC implementations, one good and the other... well, we know.

Not to mention how Numark and Vestax would react to such a decision.
djcerla 12:33 PM - 1 October, 2009
Quote:
Numark and Vestax

... and Denon, of course
grooveWhiz Akeem 12:43 PM - 1 October, 2009
Congratulations serato!

the big question is, are those beatgrids flexible enough to support songs with tempo changes. Traktors beatgrids were never able to edal with this, so does anyone know if itch's beatgrids support tempo changes?

If yes, is it maybe even possible to set one track (with a tempo change) as a master and have the other decks follow the tempo changes?
kraal 12:46 PM - 1 October, 2009
never satisfied :)
grooveWhiz Akeem 12:58 PM - 1 October, 2009
well, if all your music is played by stoned funk drummers, regular beatgrids just don't cut it :)
djcerla 1:00 PM - 1 October, 2009
Quote:
well, if all your music is played by stoned funk drummers, regular beatgrids just don't cut it :)

actually, in Mixmeister you can also kraftwerkize stoned funky drummers... :)
grooveWhiz Akeem 1:07 PM - 1 October, 2009
yeah, can do that in ableton too, but I wanna keep the tempo changes. So the track is played "un-warped/un-kraftwerkized" and the other decks follow the tempo fluctuations (I believe this is how torq does it)

Anyone from serator care to release some details about the beatgrid now that the feature is official
kraal 1:10 PM - 1 October, 2009
prob after bpm show there will be more 2.0 hype
KLH 3:13 PM - 1 October, 2009
ITCH 2.0 is sounding better and better every day. I'm dying to know what the NS7 mystery is though...

-KLH
kraal 3:18 PM - 1 October, 2009
a laptop stand or an arm rest is my guess
KLH 3:29 PM - 1 October, 2009
LOL! -KLH
maestromind 4:43 PM - 1 October, 2009
Quote:

Yeah, but it'll be in Beats by Dre Red!
Cid K 4:49 PM - 1 October, 2009
naw man you got it all wrong, it's Coffee Cup stand with built in ash tray.
maestromind 4:52 PM - 1 October, 2009
Quote:
naw man you got it all wrong, it's Coffee Cup stand with built in ash tray.

And in ITCH 3.0 it'll roll you a spliff whenever you cue up a Kingston song.
Cid K 4:53 PM - 1 October, 2009
ROLFFFFFFFF mouahahahahahhahahaha that's the spirit :-P
wadup 1:03 AM - 2 October, 2009
this feature only apply to A&H hardware
kraal 1:27 AM - 2 October, 2009
^^ wrong it will be in ITCH 2.0 ^^
djcerla 1:33 AM - 2 October, 2009
Quote:
this feature only apply to A&H hardware

NO.

From Serato:

Quote:
The VCI-300, HC 5000 and NS-7 (...) will be able to use the beat grid for their sync fucntions to provide more advanced track syncing and some other future possibilities. You will be able to edit the beat grid from your computer for use with the NS7, VCI-300 or HC 5000.
wadup 1:40 AM - 2 October, 2009
djcerla read the first part of the post, it says in the next release!!!
wadup 1:42 AM - 2 October, 2009
Quote:
The VCI-300, HC 5000 and NS-7 do not have dedicated hardware controls for beat grid manipulation but they do all feature SYNC.

In the next release of ITCH they will be able to use the beat grid for their sync fucntions to provide more advanced track syncing and some other future possibilities. You will be able to edit the beat grid from your computer for use with the NS7, VCI-300 or HC 5000.

D.
wadup 1:43 AM - 2 October, 2009
Nice try tho
kraal 1:46 AM - 2 October, 2009
wadup what are you saying ... the next release of ITCH will be 2.0 heck it might even be 1.5 but anyways 2.0 will be here before the A&H controller is realeased
wadup 1:52 AM - 2 October, 2009
kraal this is what i got from the post , this feature release in 2.0 only support the A&H hardware, the next release after 2.0 probably 2.0.1 then we will be able to do this:
In the next release of ITCH they will be able to use the beat grid for their sync fucntions to provide more advanced track syncing and some other future possibilities. You will be able to edit the beat grid from your computer for use with the NS7, VCI-300 or HC 5000
Cid K 2:28 AM - 2 October, 2009
WTF man am all confused now... geez can somebody clear all this please.
wadup 2:35 AM - 2 October, 2009
to be honest i don't think it can be any clearer, if you read the first part of the post

"The VCI-300, HC 5000 and NS-7 do not have dedicated hardware controls for beat grid manipulation but they do all feature SYNC"
wadup 2:38 AM - 2 October, 2009
now if you think about it, the beat grid was never in itch 1.5, it's gonna be introduce in 2.0, so if you read the above quote you will get the idea
djcerla 2:39 AM - 2 October, 2009
@ wadup

the "next version of ITCH" will be 2.0, with beatgrid support for the NS7 and the VCI-300.

I can't care less for hardware controls for beat grid, as long as the beat grid is there and keeps the beats syncronized.
wadup 2:44 AM - 2 October, 2009
how can you call that support if your unable to manipulate the beat grid, remember 90% of the beatgrid is gonna be off, if ur unable to correct them how beneficial is the beat grid gonna be for you?
casket hands 2:47 AM - 2 October, 2009
you are unable to manipulate it on the controller, you may be able to manipulate it by other means.
kraal 2:52 AM - 2 October, 2009
Quote:
You will be able to edit the beat grid from your computer for use with the NS7, VCI-300 or HC 5000

nuf said next topic please :)
wadup 2:56 AM - 2 October, 2009
you will able to edit it with the key board in the next release, smh. kraal please post the whole quote and not just what you would love to hear!!
kraal 2:58 AM - 2 October, 2009
why post the whole quote i am just posting the part i am repeating that is what a quote is for...you can always scroll and read the whole thread (which is a good idea)
wadup 3:02 AM - 2 October, 2009
well i just hope you know that your quote is wrong!!
djcerla 3:05 AM - 2 October, 2009
@ wadup

you are dead wrong on this.

2.0 will bring beatgrid SYNC to all ITCH devices.

It would be stupid, and expensive, to have 2 different ITCH releases with different SYNC implementations.
kraal 3:07 AM - 2 October, 2009
Quote:
your quote is wrong!!

how can a quote be wrong when i pressed the quote button......

I am so close to betting my vci-300 that i am not wrong :)
wadup 3:33 AM - 2 October, 2009
@ djcerla i'm arguing with kraal that itch 2.0 will not offer manipulating the beat grid via keyboard with ns7, hc500 or vc1300. now i hope he's still willing to bet his vc1300, b/c i know he will surely loose. i've been right today about sampler not being implemented in 2.0 before it was annouce by dylan. I'm pretty sure i will go 2 for 2 on this one
kraal 3:34 AM - 2 October, 2009
well stop argueing with me cause i stopped caring :)
wadup 3:36 AM - 2 October, 2009
oh cmon kraal don't be upset because the sampler didn't make it!! care up bro
Cid K 3:36 AM - 2 October, 2009
Amen to that and Via VDJ
kraal 3:38 AM - 2 October, 2009
actually if you read my post on your sampler thread i did sugest getting kueit or starting a different post so others can give you ideas did i not ;)
wadup 3:40 AM - 2 October, 2009
i'm curious what do you use for ur sampler?
Cid K 3:44 AM - 2 October, 2009
Radio Jingles, and Jingles/accapela's in live set's maybe.... Ok i can use the second deck for that, but what if i need to cue my track, id need to unload the trax, load my sample and then reload my track.... Geez way to much manipulation for nothing.
djcerla 3:46 AM - 2 October, 2009
Quote:
hen reload my track....

CMD+Z, very fast...
Serato
Zeb 4:19 AM - 2 October, 2009
Quote:
@ djcerla i'm arguing with kraal that itch 2.0 will not offer manipulating the beat grid via keyboard with ns7, hc500 or vc1300. now i hope he's still willing to bet his vc1300, b/c i know he will surely loose. i've been right today about sampler not being implemented in 2.0 before it was annouce by dylan. I'm pretty sure i will go 2 for 2 on this one

ITCH 2.0 will allow all ITCH hardware to use the beat grid.
wadup 4:26 AM - 2 October, 2009
thanks. guess i'm 1 for 2 oh well, kraal should have bet
asimfiction 8:31 AM - 2 October, 2009
LMAO... i wish i lived in the same timezone as you guys ;)

Beatgrids + Syncing WoooHoooo.....
DJdaveZ 9:39 AM - 2 October, 2009
i was about to bet mine too...
Serato
Dylan W 3:57 AM - 5 October, 2009
Hey Guys,

The beat grid will deal with tracks that have changing tempo's as well, you will be able to to map out bar positions to deal with songs that aren't a constant BPM. If you sync a straight track to something that changes speed either the straight track will change speed to follow or the "funky" track will get kept in time depending on which track is the master and which one is being synced.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Cheers
dylan.
Crox 6:25 AM - 5 October, 2009
"map out bar positions"? - u mean sorta like setting warp markers in Ableton? Could u explain that a little more?
VJ Kurve 7:02 AM - 5 October, 2009
Quote:

+100
D-RoC71 9:15 PM - 6 October, 2009
Quote:
"map out bar positions"? - u mean sorta like setting warp markers in Ableton? Could u explain that a little more?

It's like a Tempo Anchor (on TORQ).... you can adjust the grid accordingly to the beat.
For example... House track called "French Kiss"....
Cid K 9:18 PM - 6 October, 2009
D-Roc wheres the Exemple?
D-RoC71 10:16 PM - 6 October, 2009
I'm sorry... the song French Kiss...towards the middle of the song, it actually slows down significantly and then it picks back up... And Torq have this option where you can anchor the beat grid to the wav forms so you're always in sync...

If you go to the M-Audio's site under videos, there should be one posted there. I don't want to post the link here cuz the last time I did, I almost got my head chopped off....
KLH 10:43 PM - 6 October, 2009
I have to say that if ITCH gets something close to Torq's tempo anchors, that would be incredible! I just hope that Serato also improves the BPM detection too.

-KLH
djcerla 10:48 PM - 6 October, 2009
Quote:
I have to say that if ITCH gets something close to Torq's tempo anchors, that would be incredible! I just hope that Serato also improves the BPM detection too.

-KLH

BPM detection is going to be less important, as Beatgrid will do all the dirty work...

Ableton partnership will give its juicy fruits on January, bet it's going to be amazing!
KLH 10:53 PM - 6 October, 2009
Quote:
BPM detection is going to be less important, as Beatgrid will do all the dirty work...

Don't you have to prepare the track for manipulation? (IIRC, it's called warping?) I had to spend a LOT of time on Torq getting a few 70s tracks "fixed" so that the tempo would vary +/- 10 bpm.

Tempo anchors are truly great but the other key enabler was the elastique pitch engine too, right? You could pitch +50 and -90 BPM without any aliasing! THAT's when true power flexed in Torq - if your machine could handle it, that is.

I wonder if Serato plans to update the pitch engine too...

-KLH
Cid K 10:54 PM - 6 October, 2009
CAnt wait for that... Ableton is rock solide when it comes to sync and beatmatch that and all the power of Ableton.
KLH 10:54 PM - 6 October, 2009
^^ I mean "not vary" +/- 10 bpm.

-KLH
djcerla 10:57 PM - 6 October, 2009
My humble guess...

all the SYNC/BPM/TIMESTRETCH (and of course the announced beatgrid) functions to be replaced by parts of Ableton code. This beast will be called ITCH 2.0.

It's just an educated guess, I don't have any insider info.
maestromind 11:02 PM - 6 October, 2009
Quote:

all the SYNC/BPM/TIMESTRETCH (and of course the announced beatgrid) functions to be replaced by parts of Ableton code. This beast will be called ITCH 2.0.

This would be both logical and awesome, but my guess is it'll be more like 3.0 with SSL getting the Ableton treatment before ITCH...
djcerla 11:03 PM - 6 October, 2009
So, wonder what's to be announced as soon as January from Serato+Ableton...
kraal 11:04 PM - 6 October, 2009
what does pitch'n time do?
djcerla 11:04 PM - 6 October, 2009
It's a great timestretch plugin for Logic and Protools
maestromind 11:06 PM - 6 October, 2009
Quote:
So, wonder what's to be announced as soon as January from Serato+Ableton...

Oh yeah, I think/hope the announcement will be along the lines of what you're saying but 2.0 is supposed to drop in 2009.
Ian Williams 7:10 AM - 7 October, 2009
Quote:
My humble guess...

It's just an educated guess, I don't have any insider info.

I'm not so sure about it being solely ableton code. Remember Serato already have pitch'n time, which is pretty incredible already!

I think the Serato/Ableton tie up will be a two way street. Serato gets help with warping from Ableton, & in return, Ableton gets improved time stretching with Serato's Pitch'n Time.
I1Kirm 10:25 AM - 7 October, 2009
Well, I always thought the offspring of Serato and Ableton would be a sampler...
Cid K 12:25 PM - 7 October, 2009
Dude Ableton already have the best smapler in the world....
I1Kirm 12:29 PM - 7 October, 2009
Yeah, I know. That's why I was expecting serato to use it, or perhaps make it available through Itch...
Quote from www.ableton.com
"At the BPM show in 2008, Ableton and Serato announced a creative partnership. One year later, we're hard at work to make our products play nice together, and we're gearing up for a big unveiling on January 14, 2010, at the winter NAMM show in Anaheim, California. Keep your eyes peeled on www.ableton.com and www.serato.com for more news.

We're not letting the cat out of the bag just yet, other than to say if you own Ableton Live, and any of the DJ products that use Serato software, get ready to unleash your creativity in 2010!"
Cid K 12:41 PM - 7 October, 2009
WOWOW i just can start to imagine the power of both... This is gona be insane. Am already a big fan of Ableton, been using that for years now, making bootlegs, mashup's and reworks.
asimfiction 8:13 AM - 8 October, 2009
Just got into Ableton Live last week loving it, pre-ordered my novation launchpad about 5 mins ago... yummy can't wait.

Really hoping the partnership will mean sharing of music metadata between the two apps, i.e. Don't want to double up my effort warping a track with Ableton AND BPM calculating/beat-gridding the same song in ITCH.
djcerla 8:22 AM - 8 October, 2009
Quote:
Just got into Ableton Live last week loving it, pre-ordered my novation launchpad about 5 mins ago

I would have waited until the January announcement...
Cid K 12:49 PM - 8 October, 2009
Yeah same here, since you have just started to use it, i would of said different you were already a long time user...
asimfiction 2:40 AM - 9 October, 2009
Yeah i'm happy that serato and ableton are joining forces but I was getting in ableton for other reasons - reasons which meant to me i would probably have dumped ITCH in 2010 and moved to purely Ableton, cause I couldn't imagine spending the time prepping the same music for two platforms when it takes up pretty much all of my spare time right now just to prep music for ITCH.

Really like the idea of moving into live music production have been looked at the monome for quite a while now just never felt comfortable paying $600 for essentially a 64 button controller than you still have to spend lots of effort with to connect to software that you also will have to go out and buy. The price point of this thing is just ridiculous - 1600 HKD including a cut down but perfectly reasonable version of ableton.

So for the same price as a VFX-1 I can get a piece of kit that will let me DJ, produce music live and create remixes offline which already comes with more FX that the VFX-1. I've spent more on a round of drinks.

But most importantly did you see that flashing lights? It flashes like 3 different colors when shit happens on the screen? How can you resist that?