Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

ITUNES STORE & ITCH 1.1: A WEIRD BUG

Product
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
djcerla 9:22 AM - 21 September, 2009
<head scratching>

description of the problem:

1) bought a song on iTunes (unprotected 256kbps AAC file), "Sweet Dreams" by Beyoncé
2) imported in a ITCH crate
3) renamed the song title/artist (I like ALL CAPS, and usually remove data like featuring, etc.) - I don't remember if the song had already been analyzed or not prior the file renaming.
4) switched off, re-opened ITCH
5) while another song was spinning on platter B (NS7), tried to load the renamed song on deck A
6) now it gets weird: the song was not loaded (nothing happened on deck A); instead THERE WAS AMPLIFICATION OF THE DECK B SONG! This was reflected by the waveform getting fatter.
7) even weirder: any "load A" button press RESULTED IN MORE AMPLIFICATION! After 5/6 presses the waveform on deck B was just a purple mess, and the sound a low frequency buzz
8) however, no freezing/hiccups occoured
9) deleted the song, and repeated the steps from 1 to 5
10) this time the song didn't load at all, but a short sound dropout occoured (no wave amplification). The song used to play back correctly prior to be renamed, and still plays back well in iTunes.

</head scratching>
Kmxorbit 10:01 AM - 22 September, 2009
mmm, weird, Cerla
Did you upgrade Itunes to Itunes 9?
Can you repeat all your specs again?
djcerla 10:27 AM - 22 September, 2009
Specs are in my profile; yes I was on iTunes 9.

However, the same thing happened to me months ago with a different itch/itunes combination. Looks like it's got something to do with file renaming.
DJ.AJ 7:24 PM - 22 September, 2009
this may be a source of a lot of my headaches on the win platform. i used to use ITunes exclusively.
djcerla 7:31 PM - 22 September, 2009
PS I don't use iTunes playlists in ITCH
10:14 PM, 22 Sep 2009
Discussion moved from ITCH General Discussion to ITCH Numark Help
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 5:35 AM - 24 September, 2009
Hi djcerla,

Did you rename the file in ITCH or in iTunes? What format is the file that this happened with? Do you still have the corrupted file?
djcerla 9:23 AM - 24 September, 2009
It's a normal AAC (256, unprotected). I've also deleted it and re-bought, no luck, this time without the distortion on the other platter. Yes I still have the 2nd file, which appears to be perfect under iTunes.

Hint: the song is named "sweet dreams" like at least other 3 in my collection... the song behaved oddly only after the renaming.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 3:20 AM - 25 September, 2009
Did you rename the file in ITCH or in iTunes? Is the song that was on deck B (the volume increasing issue) ok or was it corrupted after that incident? Has it only happened with this file?
djcerla 8:44 AM - 25 September, 2009
I've renamed in ITCH.
the song on deck B wasn't damaged, after reloading it was just fine.
It happened at least one other time, many months ago, on a different Mac and of course different OSX and ITCH releases.
djcerla 8:46 AM - 25 September, 2009
... and different audio file, too, but again an AAC.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 2:21 AM - 28 September, 2009
Is the "sweet dreams" song that you first made the changes to corrupt or is that fine also?
djcerla 8:35 AM - 28 September, 2009
If I remember correctly, the song didn't play back in iTunes after the problem in ITCH. That's why I deleted and re-bought. However, before being imported and renamed in ITCH the song did play back normally in iTunes.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 2:21 AM - 29 September, 2009
Ok thanks. Have you had this issue happen again since?
1:14 AM, 2 Aug 2010
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.