DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

real life club situation, Iam i in the wrong here) please reply djs

dj kreate 8:13 AM - 8 September, 2009
I work at a bar/grill in ft worth. I have been the only dj since dec 08.

this last thurs the club decides they wanna build a stage to start having local bands on sat nites..

I have been leaving my equipment at club since i started working there since i am the resident there..

Well thurs nite my shure m-44 become missing. the owners disconnected all p.a. wiring (which i did not install and wasnt labeled) and moved all of my equipment so they could build a stage. We could not find my needles until fri morning. they were outta my shure case and exposed. Therefore resulting in both being fucked up.

They did not even offer to repair, when they were ones who moved them..

Okay scenario 2......

Sunday nites we have live karaoke... The kj set up on stage ( not in my booth) but let a singer place her drink on my booth. The bitch is drunk and guess where her drink spills??? U guessed it on my pioneer 600 mixer and my serato box.

when this happened i was fuckin furious.. 1,200 worth of damage in 5 days WTF

I told one of the owners what happened, and he replied why did i leave it there???
He said club does not want to pay to replace it.

I have never had a problem with people messing with my equipment.

Is he in the wrong for not offering to pay it??? Or is it my fault for leaving my equipment there???

either way im not gonna forgive them for not wanting to replace or help me fix it... I do alot for this club and feel that im asking for help and bein kicked to curb.

I dont have 1,200 to fix this equipment!!!!!

Is it time to start lookin for another residency??

Please reply people... this really bothers me

Dj kreate
Caramac 9:34 AM - 8 September, 2009
To be honest its a bit of both. Not what you probably want to hear.

I'd kick up a fuss but if there wasn't any agreement before hand then I wouldn't be hopeful.
dj kreate 9:36 AM - 8 September, 2009
it not like they dont have the cash... just sucks on my part
Caramac 12:26 PM - 8 September, 2009
I'd probably just try and reason explain that you left your stuff in good faith and allowed other people to use it but now as its been broken it needs to be replaced had it happened on a time when you were there you could've taken precautiuons to prevent any damage happening but it didn't and now you're in the red. I'd probably add on the guilt by saying you thought you was working as part of a family towards something and had you realised you may not have been as helpful in the past as you were.

In these situations it depends on how you get on with people and the the levels of repsect everyone has for each other.
Maskrider 12:49 PM - 8 September, 2009
I feel bad for you just be careful not to leave the most expensive stuff. next time.
Logisticalstyles 12:53 PM - 8 September, 2009
I would say it's your fault. I used to have a very similar situation like you described. I would never leave my mixer let alone my serat box at the bar unattended for more than the 4 hours before my performance. Every night those two along with my laptop came home with me. and my mixer at the time was just a $199 Dennon. I would leave my speakers and amp rack there through out the week, but they were too big to steal and in constantant use during the week so they would be missed immediately if someone tried to boost one. Sounds like you got too comfortable with the situation and the situation got the best of you.

If the owners of the bar were good people they would at least try to cover half of your expenses. Especially since you are (or were) the main source of employment. I hope you got some back up gear.
AMF 1:48 PM - 8 September, 2009
It's a bit of fault on both sides.... I'd try to reason with the owner. And hopefully he'll feel bad and help pay for some of the damages. HOPEFULLY. But in the meantime, start thinking of ways to replace the broken gear on your own...

I'm gonna look into getting insurance this week.
DJ McKay 4:01 PM - 8 September, 2009
#1 reason i dont leave my Equipment anywhere to much to lose and way to much to replace.
Audio1 4:10 PM - 8 September, 2009
I saw your post on twitter the other day about "Anyone selling a mixer and SSL?"

Sucks... Always take your equipment with you. You can never trust others with your equipment, Even other DJs at your same venue. Here's a rule of thumb: If you leave something in the club, Dont expect it back, be it needles or mixers. The club doesnt give a fuck if equipment gets screwed up, but are pissy when the sound isnt working and their soundman is out back doing lines of cocaine instead of doing his/her job.
freeffej 5:25 PM - 8 September, 2009
Quote:
#1 reason i dont leave my Equipment anywhere to much to lose and way to much to replace.

+1
Never leave any equipment behind no matter how tired you are after djing, if your coming back the next night, no matter what. Always bring it with you. You never know who's going to mess with it while your not there.
dj lynxcapone 5:39 PM - 8 September, 2009
i agree my advice to you dude is get your equiptment insured i found one online for 100 a year but when im djing i always have to keep mofos from around my shit and never ever leave your things in a club!
djchrischip 5:57 PM - 8 September, 2009
im goin to be blunt... they r fucked up for not trying to help but ur an idiot for leavin ur stuff anywhere... n nieve thinkin they will help u if something broke
dj kreate 6:02 PM - 8 September, 2009
looks like im gunna have to break out my gemini 626 mixer..... it is my fault for leaving it there, but at same time if i would have blown a speaker or sub, i would have got fired..

i even got the sound system discounted for them. they saved around 150. per speaker with my hook-up.

looks like im gunna have to take my equipment home everyday.. sucks cuz i dj there 3 nites a week
DJ Benny B NYC 6:04 PM - 8 September, 2009
Quote:
im goin to be blunt... they r fucked up for not trying to help but ur an idiot for leavin ur stuff anywhere...

unfortunately i agree...

keep asking them and maybe they will take mercy on you. if they dont help you i would suggest trying to find another gig if possible.
DJ Benny B NYC 6:05 PM - 8 September, 2009
and honestly if i was in your situation i would seriously fuck someone up or smash someones car window
djchrischip 6:09 PM - 8 September, 2009
sry if i sounded lik a dick b4 more pissed for u then u kno
years ago i had a partner who always wanted to leave my shit places n i said fuck u every time...
Jesus Christ 6:12 PM - 8 September, 2009
I would find another gig and let them find another DJ that will bring all his own gear. Find the other gig first. But I'm in agreement that you shouldn't have left everything EXPOSED in the first place. I've left gear in clubs before but you'd have to use a blowtorch and a tow truck to get to it. I spent plenty of money on protecting what was mine.
dj kreate 6:15 PM - 8 September, 2009
yea i gotta get new spot
CMOS 6:18 PM - 8 September, 2009
So you knew that the place where your equipment was being stored was going to turn into a construction site to build a stage, and you left your stuff there?

I dunno if i blame the club here.
DJ Benny B NYC 6:28 PM - 8 September, 2009
Quote:
I dunno if i blame the club here.

i think everyone here including him agrees that it is mostly his fault... but if you work somewhere and build relationships with someone and this kind of thing happens, its cruel not to help someone out
Sol*los 6:28 PM - 8 September, 2009
Quote:
gemini 626 mixer.....

awwww, thats my first mixer. Still have it, fader bleeds, but he's still working.
sopranosupasta 6:41 PM - 8 September, 2009
I didnt read all the replies, but If they werent paying you a rental fee and you didnt have a contract, leaving your equipment there was your own doing and therefore you are responsible for all damages...

next time, if they venu needs the equipment, have a contract that says they're responsible for any damage to the equipment while its in their possession.
Anu 7:06 PM - 8 September, 2009
sorry to hear mayne what spot is that out there.? i play at 8.0 sometimes and there same way but i never leave my shit....tough lesson to learn .....
skinnyguy 7:50 PM - 8 September, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

+1
Never leave any equipment behind no matter how tired you are after djing, if your coming back the next night, no matter what. Always bring it with you. You never know who's going to mess with it while your not there.

+1
dj kreate 7:57 PM - 8 September, 2009
this happened at Overtime bar and grill
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:04 PM - 8 September, 2009
Welp, if you left the equipment there as a convienience FOR YOU, that's totally your fault.

If they wanted it there for THEIR purposes, you might be able to make them feel guilty, but you probably don't have any contract in writing, so again, you're SOL.

I'm sure they wouldn't give 2 *its if you had to setup and break down your stuff every time you played.... That's what they pay you for.

Hell, you're lucky they didn't charge you STORAGE...lol.
Maskrider 8:06 PM - 8 September, 2009
Where is this Overtime Bar and Grill?
Dj Shamann 3:36 AM - 9 September, 2009
Dude, leaving your Serato box there even? It literally fits into a coat pocket (either for you to easily take home, or for somebody else for that matter). That's insane.
DJDaveOtt 12:31 PM - 9 September, 2009
i have been hammered at the end of the night and unable to carry equipment, but i still close it all up in the coffin and tuck it away under the booth. i would never leave it out in the open.
i can see the staff now...
hey look, dj dave left his turntables set up! watch me scratch!

no way jose...always tear down

sorry to hear about what happened. did you try fixing the mixer? maybe someone on here has had this happen before and can help you get it working again..
famethrowa 2:50 PM - 9 September, 2009
The ONLY thing I ever leave behind is my TT's at my Friday night spot to save on transport wear & tear (and so I can ride the motorcycle/scooter to the gig since parking is always tight), ONLY because I'm good friends with the owner, and ONLY because short of someone breaking in the place, it's not a sketchy spot. (which could just as easily happen at home, and chances are if they break into a bar they're not going to be going for my little out of the way nook where I stashed my cases)

Having said that, if something ever DID happen, even though he's a really good friend, I'd never 'expect' him to pay for anything. I left 'em there when I could have easily taken them home...that's my responsibility.
Sol*los 3:13 PM - 9 September, 2009
yeah, have you tried to to fix it. I'm in the Dallas area and can recommend someone.
ryansupak 3:20 PM - 9 September, 2009
I'd ask them to go halfway with you, and from now on keep everything in a locked case if it's going to stay.

rs