Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Empty crates will be deleted but Protect Library is on

Product
Scratch Live
Version
Hardware
Rane SL1
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
pueblofunky 3:07 PM - 29 August, 2009
Product: scratchlive
Version: 1.9.1
Hardware: scratchlive-sl1
Computer: pc
OS Version: xp
---

Seems to be a bug:

Empty crates will be deleted but Protect Library is on.

I removed all tracks from the library - then I set Protect Library - Closed SL - Restarted - and all crates incl sub-crates have been deleted ... Protect Library is still on.

Konix 5:17 PM - 29 August, 2009
Empty crates get deleted on exit regardless whether or not the protect library option is checked.
pueblofunky 5:31 PM - 29 August, 2009
Thanks Serato - so my structure is destroyed.

This software is still horrible to use with settings & logic - that's what I have to say as programmer in a bank for more than 18 years ...
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 4:27 AM - 31 August, 2009
Hi pueblofunky.

Konix is right - empty crates get deleted if they don't contain anything.

Is there anything specific with the software you are having difficulty understanding?
pueblofunky 6:15 AM - 31 August, 2009
"Is there anything specific with the software you are having difficulty understanding?"

YES:

"Protect library" => should not delete anything. That's the logic here in Austria and hopefully in the ww.

Better would be to split "Protect library" into:

"Protect tracks" - no updates, changes in the music tracks itself (no writing of tags, etc). (The same as read-only file flag).
"Protect crates" - no updates, changes in the crates.

For me:

"Protect tracks" would be always ON.
Why? I'm using Tag&Rename as tagging software. I don't want to use other software due the logic of writing back data. SL also looses frames (fields) which it doesn't know and the data is lost.

"Proect crates" would be always OFF.
Why? I'm using it to sort the music within crates during the dj night (that's what I did with my records in earlier days ;-) ).

Thanks,
Robert
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 2:37 AM - 2 September, 2009
Protect Library does just what it says it does, when the option is checked on, you are unable to:
Delete crates
Delete tracks
Change ID3 tag information
Change crate names
Move crates

It will allow you to copy tracks in case you need to create new crates/playlists on the fly.
pueblofunky 5:40 PM - 2 September, 2009
Unbelievable! - does anyone understand and read what I want?

I know what Protect Library ON does: Serato deletes my empty crates. That's not that what I want and not logical.

Have you read above why a split into "Protect tracks" and "Proect crates" is useful?
victor_M 6:47 PM - 2 September, 2009
Pueblofunky

This feature is working as designed...
yes I do understand what your talking about.

if you would like it split up. post your suggestion in the Scratch Live Feature Suggestions.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 10:26 PM - 2 September, 2009
Sorry pueblofunky - I was just explaining what it does since you mentioned the feature wasn't logical.

As victor_M suggests, start a new feature suggestion thread, our developers pay attention to this area so try to get other users convinced :D
serato.com

Cheers :D