DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Denon DN-HC1000S

Soulsonica™ 1:44 PM - 26 August, 2009
i177.photobucket.com

Wow! Based on what I'm seeing/reading, I'll definitely be picking one of these up as soon as it's available. Finally, a DJ-specific controller to compete against regular MIDI controllers that are always band-aids for what we do. Appears to be a nice, compact , tactile solution for keeping hands off the laptop. Also appears to be more of a professional solution than a lot of the plasticky toys everywhere.

One thing though that's missing and what I think it really needs is ABS/REL/INT button(s). Think about those dreaded situations like whenever a hairball lands on your needle and you needs to very quickly jump out of ABSOLUTE or RELATIVE mode and into INTERNAL mode in order to save your mix and remove obstruction from needle and then jump back to original mode. Those emergency buttons should really be on this piece keeping with the theme of staying away from the laptop and keeping your eyes/hands on the mixer/controller.

Think the USB connector needs to be duplicated on the back in addition to the side for different setup scenarios.

Anyway, kudos Denon for addressing a much needed SL solution.
Anu 2:10 PM - 26 August, 2009
Quote:
i177.photobucket.com

One thing though that's missing and what I think it really needs is ABS/REL/INT button(s).

Think the USB connector needs to be duplicated on the back in addition to the side for different setup scenarios.

Anyway, kudos Denon for addressing a much needed SL solution.

+1 on that ....i'll buy for cleaner look wit my 56 but my nano kontrol and pad combo are realy getting it done for me i also use midi translator and patching tho ...bomes will get the missing features done for me on hc1000s i'm shure...
Maskrider 3:10 PM - 26 August, 2009
This must be the reason I have not bought the nanopad yet.
CMOS 4:53 PM - 26 August, 2009
I friggin hate where they put the USB port. This thing is the perfect size to mount right behind my mixer but cant do it with that usb port.
Anu 5:17 PM - 26 August, 2009
Quote:
I friggin hate where they put the USB port. This thing is the perfect size to mount right behind my mixer but cant do it with that usb port.

yeah would be ok if they put it in a notch out under with a cable pass out back or side ..i understand side usb on my nanos because they were made to go in front of a laptop but this denon should not be in front of your notebook ...
boabmatic 10:12 AM - 27 August, 2009
a right angled usb cable may help a bit , but still not ideal..

www.usbfirewire.com
Soulsonica™ 5:46 PM - 6 November, 2009
She arrived this morning via pre-order. Will be testing this weekend and posting full review later. First impressions are that they nailed it (well, kind of, close anyway) feature/layout-wise. It's also built like a tank. Super compact, full-metal chassis, solid, heavy, and the buttons/knobs have a very positive tactile feel to them with a nice confirming click when pressed.

[img]i177.photobucket.com[/img]

DJ'Que 6:03 PM - 6 November, 2009
I had mines since last friday. Been using it since then. I did a write up on it. The post is call who is getting the denon Dn-Hc1000s. It fits right in front of my laptop on the laptop stand. I have my mac pushed back and its velcrod to my stand. That and my laptop is.
lil vito 4:40 AM - 7 November, 2009
Just ordered mine... Can't wait for it to arrive!!!
Soulsonica™ 3:55 PM - 7 November, 2009
So far, I'm pleased, but already there are some glaring design issues/omissions IMO. Will be gigging with it tonight and will post more later.

Here she is in the studio.

[IMG]i177.photobucket.com[/IMG]
Axialism 6:35 PM - 7 November, 2009
Really not a fan of Denon at all... but it looks good and I'm actually considering it.

How do you cycle through loops?
DJ'Que 9:56 PM - 7 November, 2009
Quote:
Really not a fan of Denon at all... but it looks good and I'm actually considering it.

How do you cycle through loops?
shift and turn the knob (no homo) to select loops A through 9 or how many you have set.
Gor 12:03 AM - 8 November, 2009
Quote:
So far, I'm pleased, but already there are some glaring design issues/omissions IMO. Will be gigging with it tonight and will post more later.

Here she is in the studio.

[IMG]i177.photobucket.com[/IMG]

that setup looks very sleek. i like :D
BriChi 1:00 AM - 8 November, 2009
I picked this up Friday and used it live today on a 4hr gig, LOVED IT!!! Thing is solid and works as you would expect.
MexiKanMan 3:54 AM - 9 November, 2009
Anyone got any video of this in action yet? I haven't found anything on youtube
Soulsonica™ 1:21 AM - 28 November, 2009
Does anyone here happen to know how to get the button backlighting to return when you setup custom mapping on pages 2, 3 and/or 4? The button backlight when engaged while using the factory preset page (#1), but I have no lighting on page 2 after custom mapping.
pdidy 3:16 AM - 28 November, 2009
lights dont work on custom mapps yet. hopefully by next update.
Soulsonica™ 6:23 PM - 9 December, 2009
Quote:
lights dont work on custom mapps yet. hopefully by next update.

Thanks (but wow Denon).
Soulsonica™ 6:25 PM - 9 December, 2009
Alrighty cats n kitties, sorry it's taken so long to get back to this. Been crazy busy with a bunch of pressing stuff so haven't had a whole lot of extensive playtime on her, but here's my take so far.

Pros

• Incredible build quality. This thing is a tank. Built like a true tool rather than a toy like so many other supposedly "pro" bits of gear in the DJ/producer market. Solid metal casing, clean machining, flush assembly fasteners, etc. When you pick this thing up the first reaction is "wow, it sure is heavy" - and it deceptively is. The weight is much heavier than what it looks like it should be, but that's a good thing because it stays put while in use. No need to worry about it sliding around in the mix.

• Aesthetics, fit and finish is grade A+. Nice matte/satin black chassis so the surface shows no chicken prints when used. Crisp, bright white text labeling only where it should be and none where it shouldn't screams pro instrument.

• Native SL layout and programming. No nonsense or generic one-size-fits-all kind of stuff here. True Plug n' Play. The developers basically chose SL as the platform to design around and did it. Feature set, text labeling, etc. is exactly as it is in SL environment. With a few exceptions (which I'll get to in a minute), for the most part I think they nailed it. Extremely intuitive right outta the box. I understand this unit can also be easily mapped for TS/TSP users.

• Buttons and knobs feel and react outstanding. Very tactile and with crisp, responsive, reassuring feel when engaged. The low-profile rotary knobs have just enough resistance as well and don't wobble the slightest when controlling off-center.

• Compact chassis size. Measuring a mere 10"W x .75"H (and about 3.5"D), she packs very nicely into a small gig bag. It also just happens to match the chassis width of the Rane Empath (and other Rane 10" mixers) which is a nice aesthetic bonus for those owners.

• Four scenes, three of which are custom mappable. The first scene is the factory pre-programmed one that basically handles most user's needs. The other three you can custom program any way you want, which is what I did after not finding some essential features on the original layout (I'll get to that in a minute too on cons).

• Value. At $160 this baby is a no-brainer. I've yet to find anything else currently on the market that addresses the in-field needs of SL users as well as this unit does – at any cost.

Cons

• As any SL user knows, Absolute, Internal and Relative modes are key features that are constantly moved in/out of during a set. I would've thought that because quick and easy access to these modes is essential that Denon would've included them as far as the primary button layout - but they sadly (and strangely) not. Why three basic ABS/INT/REL buttons for each deck aren't on the control surface as primary functions I have no idea and really makes me wonder where Denon's head was when designing this. Anyway, the workaround for this lies in the mappable scenes, which is exactly what I did. It's not as clean as I'd like it to be because I have to train myself what another button's label means/doesn't mean, but I'll get by and make it work. It's still lightyears beyond a generic MIDI controller.

• The four scenes don't have visual indicators (LEDs) to let the user know what scene they currently are in. There are LEDs that light up when engaging a scene, but nothing constant to remind you the rest of the time. Stupid move, and again, makes me wonder why something so blatantly obviously needed (and inexpensive to include) would slip by the designers.

• The left side mounted mini USB connector port makes cable management fussy if you need to connect to computer/other gear on the right side (a common setup scenario for me). A minor gripe, yes, but one that could've been easily avoidable had the designers simply positioned the port on the bottom by recessing it and channeling small grooves for the cable so the user could choose to exit the cable any direction they wanted. I'm currently trying to source a left-hand/right-angled mini USB cable to help solve this issue. No luck so far, but if anyone reading this happens to know if they exist and where they are, please let me know.

• This last con technically is yet to be determined, but the text labeling Denon uses on hard rubber buttons of their other models of equipment doesn't have the best reputation for holding up after extensive use in the field. We've all seen how the labeling rubs off and not only starts to look like shit after a while, but doesn't let the users know what the damn button is supposed to do once the text is gone. Like I said, it's TBD as to whether or not Denon has gotten their act together in regards to the chemical compound and application process of this type of labeling. Time will tell, but I personally think they should've just decide to forgo this method and use a proven method such as machine aluminum with laser etched labeling (eg: CDJ-1000 MK3 play/pause/>>/<< buttons)

Bottom line - aside from a few glaring design flaws /omissions (IMO) this piece of kit is a winner overall. I recommend to any DJ using SL extensively as their primary weapon. The only thing I ever touch my computer for now is when I want to do a keyword search. Other than that, it's strictly all hands on decks (pun intended), mixer and MIDI.
BriChi 7:16 PM - 9 December, 2009
Quote:
As any SL user knows, Absolute, Internal and Relative modes are key features that are constantly moved in/out of during a set

Really? I never come out of REL mode, Especially now that I have the controller. Care to share instances where you jump between the three? Just curious in other ways people DJ
Soulsonica™ 8:20 PM - 9 December, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
As any SL user knows, Absolute, Internal and Relative modes are key features that are constantly moved in/out of during a set

Really? I never come out of REL mode, Especially now that I have the controller. Care to share instances where you jump between the three? Just curious in other ways people DJ

Not aware myself of reason for jumping between all three, but definitely between REL/INT modes. Prime examples: To clear an obstructed needle, extend playtime, etc.
DJ Dub Cowboy 8:30 PM - 9 December, 2009
for that reason I want to remap the TAP button to go into internal mode at 0% pitch
DJ Dub Cowboy 8:31 PM - 9 December, 2009
nothing worse than going into internal at -10% half speed
Soulsonica™ 8:40 PM - 9 December, 2009
Quote:
for that reason I want to remap the TAP button to go into internal mode at 0% pitch

Quote:
nothing worse than going into internal at -10% half speed

Yep, that's exactly the workaround I did as well. I was just surprised they weren't already designed as primary buttons on the Denon.
DJ Dub Cowboy 8:42 PM - 9 December, 2009
firmware update needed badly!!!

we need to get all DJ tech tools on this bad boy
Konix 8:43 PM - 9 December, 2009
Quote:
I'm currently trying to source a left-hand/right-angled mini USB cable to help solve this issue. No luck so far, but if anyone reading this happens to know if they exist and where they are, please let me know.

www.usbfirewire.com

Found a better one than I posted on DJF.
DJ Dub Cowboy 8:50 PM - 9 December, 2009
^comes in 12" and 72"

seems either too short or too long, but I definitely need a couple of these
Soulsonica™ 8:54 PM - 9 December, 2009
Thanks again Konix.

Quote:
^comes in 12" and 72"

seems either too short or too long, but I definitely need a couple of these

Lo-Pro available in 5, 12, 24, 72, and 180" (15') here: www.usbfirewire.com
BriChi 11:06 PM - 9 December, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not aware myself of reason for jumping between all three, but definitely between REL/INT modes. Prime examples: To clear an obstructed needle, extend playtime, etc.

Ahhhhh very true
VJ Justin Allen 11:08 PM - 9 December, 2009
Using one turntable / cd player as well, right?
Kadilac 11:10 PM - 9 December, 2009
So, is this really needed if you have a 57?
Pro's?
Con's?
Rebelguy 12:21 AM - 10 December, 2009
Quote:
So, is this really needed if you have a 57?
Pro's?
Con's?

I actually like it better then the 57. Bigger buttons, good colors that are visible in the club and more controls.
DJNzO 9:23 PM - 17 August, 2012
QUICK QUESTION:
Does the DN-HC1000S allow you to record your mixes?
Also, I have serato SL2 and when I try and record with the software, although it shows that I'm recording, I end up with no audio.
Any tips?
Thanks
-NzO
popnwave 9:26 PM - 17 August, 2012
The HC1000s has nothing to do with recording.
LJ_WOOLSEY 4:28 PM - 19 August, 2012
Quote:
QUICK QUESTION:
Does the DN-HC1000S allow you to record your mixes?
Also, I have serato SL2 and when I try and record with the software, although it shows that I'm recording, I end up with no audio.
Any tips?
Thanks
-NzO

Buy SL-3
WarpNote 6:13 PM - 19 August, 2012
Just route you mixer output to the line in on your computer and record in audacity, no need for another box. Why you thought a non soundcard midi controller would record your mixes is beyond my comprehension...
djnak 7:14 PM - 19 August, 2012
Quote:
Why you thought a non soundcard midi controller would record your mixes is beyond my comprehension...

+1 LOL
Dj.uno 1:05 AM - 20 August, 2012
does anyone know where i could get my hc1000s repaired? in nyc?
FunktionKey 6:30 AM - 16 October, 2012
Can you use this unit to control effects? (e.g. use the loop dial as a pot) Or am I better looking at something like the NanoPad for this?
Daniel Ventura 6:42 AM - 16 October, 2012
there is a midi template to control the effects with the hc1000s.
WarpNote 6:50 AM - 16 October, 2012
The midi xml for mapping the HC1000S with FX can be found over here > www.dm-pro.eu
Scroll down to the end of the page, and look under the tab "Extras"
FunktionKey 4:24 PM - 6 November, 2012
Cheers guys - that's really useful.

I've got some Dicers at the moment, so I guess I'd just continue to use these for the cue / loop functionality and use the Denon for the effects. Does that sound sensible, or is there a better (similarly priced) device that would be better suited to the effects?
WarpNote 7:13 AM - 7 November, 2012
Probably the HC1000S or the NI X1 are the most popular ones....
I use the HC1000S with dicers. However, I need to make sure I plug them into the computer in a certain order to make both work. Guess it has something to do with them both being natively supported in SSL. Im using a small belkin non-powered hub when using both controllers at once. I normally use these 2 with the additional Midi on the 68.
djnak 5:47 AM - 8 November, 2012
Quote:
However, I need to make sure I plug them into the computer in a certain order to make both work.
conflicting midi notes? try changing the midi notes on the dicers or hc1000s and problem will be solved