DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Sick Video I found on You Tube

DJ Nevoc 7:02 PM - 15 July, 2006
Here it is.

Watchwww.youtube.com
phil 7:19 PM - 15 July, 2006
Basic juggling (only backspins), and very simple scratches....

Sounded not bad, but really not sick.... more boring.

THAT is sick... Watchwww.youtube.com

Netik does more fader-clicks in 5 seconds than that dude in your video trough 5 minutes ;)
Monk-A 8:16 PM - 15 July, 2006
that (solomon) wasn't very impressive to be honest

now Netik IS sick
DJ Nevoc 10:20 PM - 15 July, 2006
Ok Netik can scratch, but you cant dance to that shit. Seems on this forum unless your the sickest scratcher your nothing.

As for the video.... Net's video fuckin sucks in production compared to the one I found. Hands down!
DJ XTURNAL 11:12 PM - 15 July, 2006
You all know that Solomon is here on the board, right?
phil 11:18 PM - 15 July, 2006
Production? Dude, he makes that stuff live.... Not partially premixed... Plus this wasn't meant to be produced - just Netik showing off his SICK skills in a small shop, filmed by a bystander.

As i mentioned. Your video sounds nice, but technically it was weak. Even if this video was shot by Steven Spielberg in 1920x1080 HD with 5.1 Dolby.... in MY opinion NOT sick...

I admit this could be because I'm a scratch-nerd. My girlfriend for example, who is not cutting for years, more like 3 months, said, that Netiks moves looked way more complicated, but didn't sound as great as Solomons performance....

by the way: I can dance to that stuff :P
MusicMeister 3:28 AM - 16 July, 2006
What impresses me about Netik is the lack of headphones to cue with AT ALL....

Both aren't bad... one is showing off (Netik) and one is a public performance geared to appeal to the entire crowd (solomon)....

Different crowds, different levels of skill used... (Different tools)... I seem to remember someone saying something about using the appropriate skills for the crowd.....

Oh, WAIT! THAT WAS ME!!!!! ;-)
phil 3:57 AM - 16 July, 2006
Quote:
What impresses me about Netik is the lack of headphones to cue with AT ALL....

Both aren't bad... one is showing off (Netik) and one is a public performance geared to appeal to the entire crowd (solomon)....

Different crowds, different levels of skill used... (Different tools)... I seem to remember someone saying something about using the appropriate skills for the crowd.....

Oh, WAIT! THAT WAS ME!!!!! ;-)

He just uses a battletool-vinyl with nice samples one after another. Not that hard to find the beginning of a sample....

What impresses me is his high-precision coordination and movement of his fingers & hands.

Once again I have to say, I respect Solomons performance but i just want to point out, that Netik can do the same, even fully intoxicated and blindfolded at the same time. They are simply at completely different technical levels.
Dj KaGeN 4:15 AM - 16 July, 2006
I think both are cool as hell... I'd sure like to know what is sooo damn tasty on his fingers though ... wow must be sumtin good can't get enough, oh wait he wipes it on his shirt, doudle lick to the shirt again... ... oh whatever mad props....

And yes 2 different genres as far I'm concerned there.
MusicMeister 4:24 AM - 16 July, 2006
Yeah... Solomon needs to watch Q-Bert's video...

If you've seen the Q-Bert's vid you'll know that Q-Bert would NEVER shake hands with Solomon... ;-)

and why....
gazla 5:08 AM - 16 July, 2006
Quote:

and this is the dude on FS2 Demo Video....
www.stantondj.com
SolKim 8:01 AM - 16 July, 2006
Too hard to say who's better when comparing these clips. But I must say Netic's clip was way more impressive.
phil 9:28 AM - 16 July, 2006
Quote:

If you've seen the Q-Bert's vid you'll know that Q-Bert would NEVER shake hands with Solomon... ;-)

and why....

If they both knew each other, Q would buy him "Sparco Fingertip Moistener" as a christmas-gift :D
Monk-A 1:36 PM - 16 July, 2006
Quote:

*shrugs*

it's not a diss at him, guys obviously good, but if you're gonna post a video of a guy showing his skills and scratching and backspinning with "SICK" all over it people are gonna analize it.

I'm sorry but the dance to argument is bullshit as well because you can't dance to either of them...If i was in a club and some guy was back spinning and cutting like that i'd be like "why god? whhhhyyyyyyyyyyyy?!?!?! Just make it stop!!!" to my friends, because to me it just breaks up the music, it'd stop em and my lady dancing and i'd just f*ck off to the bar and get leathered...
Monk-A 1:39 PM - 16 July, 2006
Quote:
Ok Netik can scratch, but you cant dance to that shit. Seems on this forum unless your the sickest scratcher your nothing.

As for the video.... Net's video fuckin sucks in production compared to the one I found. Hands down!

well ones aprofessional Television insert, the other is a handycam held by some guy at a public apperance... don't get it twisted.
Monk-A 1:46 PM - 16 July, 2006
will say one thing he's equal on both hands....
Konix 4:24 PM - 16 July, 2006
Well, to be honest, I thought Solomon's video was a lot more "entertaining" than Netik's video. I was bored with Neitk's video after about a minute and a half. No diss to him, Netik's got mad skills and I wish I could scratch that well, but it seemed he just repeated the same scratch pattern over and over. I know he can tear it up harder as I've seen other video's of Netik, but if comparing these two video's alone, I like Solomon's better.
Konix 4:34 PM - 16 July, 2006
*videos not video's
zomanno 5:53 PM - 16 July, 2006
Watchwww.youtube.com

this guy shits all over both of them..
rucker 4 pres
DJCalibur 10:21 PM - 16 July, 2006
rucker is nasty as hell. I remember that cat on asisphonics when he had the alter ego, aliosity; the cat can scratch to stuff that's 320 bpm - crazy skills
DJCalibur 10:31 PM - 16 July, 2006
Dstyles is the king of hand control, look at the stuff he does at 3:42 sec:
Watchwww.youtube.com
djdsk 2:38 AM - 17 July, 2006
You cant compare soloman to netik,ruker or d styles
DJK 2:49 AM - 17 July, 2006
I like paul oakenfolds mix video where he scratches on the Pioneer dvj, but dosn't use any sounds...

... I also like toast.
djcrxxx 6:22 AM - 18 July, 2006
yo thought Solomon was tight...video editing was WACK!!!
type1 5:40 AM - 19 July, 2006
like'm both, but this one was dope too Watchwww.youtube.com
phil 2:07 PM - 19 July, 2006
Quote:
like'm both, but this one was dope too Watchwww.youtube.com
♥ ♥ ♥
Dj KaGeN 2:58 PM - 19 July, 2006
^^^ what are those - and why are they here?
phil 3:10 PM - 19 July, 2006
according to my dictionary it's called "heart". Q and D deserve at least 3 of them ^^

tadaaa ☺ ☻ ☼ ♀ ♂ ♠ ♣ ♥ ♦ ♪ ♫ ۞ ۝ ۩
djzoo 7:21 PM - 19 July, 2006
Quote:

and why....

HUH?
phil 8:05 PM - 19 July, 2006
Quote:
Quote:

and why....

HUH?

Because Q "twits on" Djs who lick their fingers and he advises to use Fingertip Moistener by Sparco....
djzoo 10:53 PM - 19 July, 2006
Dude, i hope you are joking... just because he licks his fingers while scratching, i hope people dont think he sorry for that. Solomon is cool. You gotta be good to be a resident dj for the Golden State Warriors, Clubs with Dj AM, and writer/editor for magazines. Respect.
zomanno 3:27 AM - 20 July, 2006
hes good but he shouldnt be cuttn!
phil 8:31 AM - 20 July, 2006
I think he did everything right. He was there to entertain the crowd and he did that pretty good. Even though his scratching is not at a very high technical level, it sounded nice. And the audience liked it.

Whether he was doing the "lick-thing" because of "looking cool" or because he has really dry hands and needs that for vinyl-control - like Q i would not shake hands with him after performing ;)
zomanno 6:12 PM - 20 July, 2006
personally, i did not enjoy that
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 11:55 PM - 28 July, 2006
youtube (breakin baby) Watchwww.youtube.com
s42000 12:12 AM - 29 July, 2006
Quote:
youtube (breakin baby) Watchwww.youtube.com

Dangerously cool ... hard to watch when the kid bends his neck ...
Now what is the number to DFACS ........
Dj KaGeN 9:27 PM - 29 July, 2006
2 years and change and movin like that.... wow!!
DJ Limelight 9:12 AM - 30 July, 2006
That might one of the cleanest chirp combo's I've ever seen (Netik). Does anyone know what the scratch he's doing at :15 - :20?? I've never seen/heard it before.
phil 3:21 PM - 30 July, 2006
Quote:
That might one of the cleanest chirp combo's I've ever seen (Netik). Does anyone know what the scratch he's doing at :15 - :20?? I've never seen/heard it before.

I guess those are 2-clicks with just fast and precise vinyl movement... When i do 2-click-orbits and move the vinyl 2-3 farther than normal, it sounds like that.
DJ Limelight 9:15 PM - 30 July, 2006
You sure it was only two clicks Phil? It sounds like more than that.
phil 10:17 PM - 30 July, 2006
limelight: after trying a bit i think those are One-Clicks. I can't move my fingers that fast to make 2-clicks with that speed. Maybe Netik does it because he has godlike skills. ^^

But my One-Clicks sound "nearly" the same.... so i guess they are fast 1-clicks.

made a video: Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Limelight 10:34 PM - 30 July, 2006
Word! I think you're right. It's one but it's so fast it sounds like way more. Ridiculous.
djcrxxx 3:33 AM - 31 July, 2006
do any you guys do 2 click chirp clover tear flares?
phil 4:13 AM - 31 July, 2006
Quote:
do any you guys do 2 click chirp clover tear flares?
What exactly do you mean? A 2click Clover Tear - Chirp combo?

Because you can't do a Chirp and a Flare at the same time...
djcrxxx 5:48 AM - 31 July, 2006
yea i mean a 2 click chirp flare but doin the clover tear for the chirps...if that makes any sence im working on it at the mo!!
djcrxxx 5:50 AM - 31 July, 2006
sorry i mean doin the clover tear for the flares...
(i think there easier to do than to Write)lol
phil 6:19 AM - 31 July, 2006
You confuse me ^^

Quote:
yea i mean a 2 click chirp flare but doin the clover tear for the chirps...if that makes any sence im working on it at the mo!!

A 2click clover tear (flare). This scratch does exist.

Quote:
sorry i mean doin the clover tear for the flares...
(i think there easier to do than to Write)lol

That doesn't make sense... That would be a 2Click (Flare) Chirp Clover Tear. Thats not possible because a Chirp defines how to move the fader, and a Flare does it too. You can't do 2 different scratches at the same time. Besides that, a 2Click is a Flare. You only can do a "2Click (Flare) Clover Tear / Chirp"-combo, but you can't do Chirps and 2CLicks at the same time.

Or do you mean a Clover Tear Chirp? Then you would cut out a part of the sound that characterizes the Clover Tear. So i guess, that doesn't make sense either.

still confused. lol
Monk-A 7:15 AM - 31 July, 2006
Quote:
limelight: after trying a bit i think those are One-Clicks. I can't move my fingers that fast to make 2-clicks with that speed. Maybe Netik does it because he has godlike skills. ^^

But my One-Clicks sound "nearly" the same.... so i guess they are fast 1-clicks.

made a video: Watchwww.youtube.com

I thought they were two's, with a fast record movement... just makes it sound higher pitched not faster - but maybe we are looking at different places.
djphilly 7:46 AM - 31 July, 2006
what is this? youtube search showdown haha
djphilly 7:48 AM - 31 July, 2006
check me out (on the right side w/ the ttx) scratching while you're at it, Watchwww.youtube.com not much compared to dstyles or riccirucker but i'm only 15 and been at it for almost 2 years.
phil 8:01 AM - 31 July, 2006
Quote:
check me out (on the right side w/ the ttx) scratching while you're at it, Watchwww.youtube.com not much compared to dstyles or riccirucker but i'm only 15 and been at it for almost 2 years.
not sick but very nice :)
especially for only 2 years of practice ! Keep it up!
dj solomon 8:49 AM - 31 July, 2006
all I can say is………

WOOOOOOW!

you guys have a lot of time on your hands and I am veeeery flattered you are even talking about me so much.
I’m actually not that much of a technical turntablist and wouldn’t ever claim that i'm a better scratch dj or turntablist than the next guy. I just have fun with what im doing and try to create the best performance I can.
Please allow me explain the context of that video. I've been djing for the Golden State Warriors for 7 seasons now, and what my job has evolved into is basically putting on turntable performances that provide a visual entertainment for the audience in the arena during our pregame in house TV show GTOE TV (Great Time Out Entertainment). My performances are mostly geared to the general public, ie people who have no clue what flares, chirps or crabs even are, so I focus more on musical content, visual appeal and generally keeping it fun and exciting on camera! Im also doing this all on Serato which as you know if technically a little more challenging to do some of the juggling we were all so accustomed to on straight records.
There are actually a few more clips on YouTube you can check out, they are similar routines from different games but all sort of have the same gist!
Like I said before, I would never claim to be some amazing scratch artist, in fact I often watch bedroom djs who've only been djing for like 2 years that humble the shit out of me. They either make me wanna quit or go to a scratch monastery and practice my chirps and flares for like 6 months straight!
This isn’t really my main gig either, I am way more of a nightclub dj, I incorporate scratches, juggles etc into my mix routine but in a creative performance manner that make the dance club dj experience a bit more of a musical performance. More in the dj am, dj vice, stonerokk sort of way. I like to call it pop turntablism.

In any case im flattered that you guys even talked about me for so long, I guess I should finish up this post so I can get back to practicing my scratches!

: )
Monk-A 10:56 AM - 31 July, 2006
why are you even defending yourself dude?

joke :)
djcrxxx 9:35 PM - 31 July, 2006
Quote:
You only can do a "2Click (Flare) Clover Tear / Chirp"-combo, but you can't do Chirps and 2CLicks at the same time.

yep thats the one im workin on,was confused for a while there!!!
do you guys do that combo??
djcrxxx 9:36 PM - 31 July, 2006
yep thats the one im workin on,was confused for a while there!!!
do you guys do that combo??
phil 11:14 PM - 31 July, 2006
First i have to perfect the Clover Tear. I can do Chirps and Flares pretty good, but right now i won't stop training fast 2-Click-Orbits until i can do "machinegun-2clicks" for more than 30 second without doing a single error.
s42000 3:13 AM - 1 August, 2006
Finger lickin ...Watchwww.youtube.com
Pete Moss 3:33 AM - 1 August, 2006
I thought Solomon's music itself was WAY more pleasing than Netik regardless of anyone's subjective grading of their skills. Netik was showing off, Solomon was making music. Solomon, your summary was dead on.
djcrxxx 9:35 AM - 1 August, 2006
in working on my clovers at the moment just tryin to come up with some combo's like the one mentioned above,
im right handed scratching with my left but i cant get nearly the speed clovers Q Bert and them pulls off,i think those dude's are right handed with the right hand on the record so the get the mad precision(plus there not mere mortals)
i got some rapid-fire 2clicks but, good old twiddle technique
Monk-A 12:30 PM - 1 August, 2006
yeah Q is writing hand on the record. so stongest hand for record control.
phil 3:14 PM - 1 August, 2006
Quote:
in working on my clovers at the moment just tryin to come up with some combo's like the one mentioned above,
im right handed scratching with my left but i cant get nearly the speed clovers Q Bert and them pulls off,i think those dude's are right handed with the right hand on the record so the get the mad precision(plus there not mere mortals)
i got some rapid-fire 2clicks but, good old twiddle technique
It's all about practice. And "our"/my heros did that a lot. But you're right a guy who is right handed with the right hand on the record is able to learn those kind of scratches faster/easier.

Btw: Can you make a video of your "2Click Clover Tear/Chirp"-combo? It would be interesting how it sounds.
phil 3:28 PM - 1 August, 2006
Quote:
I thought Solomon's music itself was WAY more pleasing than Netik regardless of anyone's subjective grading of their skills. Netik was showing off, Solomon was making music. Solomon, your summary was dead on.
Though skills doesn't mean "sounding nice", but in my, i guess "scratch-crackbrained" ,brain Netiks "performance" sounded WAY more like "Oh YEAH, I'm feeling it *nods head*".

I guess the reason is that i listen to Scratch-music or Turntablism 90% of my time.

Tested it, and showed both videos to about 10 non-scratch Dj's, and frightening EVERYONE said Solomons Video sounded nice, Netiks video bad.

Seems that the majority has bad music-taste ;)
zomanno 6:51 PM - 1 August, 2006
i like 4 click tearflare clover flare tears mctwist
phil 6:58 PM - 1 August, 2006
Quote:
i like 4 click tearflare clover flare tears mctwist
:D ♫
s42000 5:15 AM - 12 August, 2006
Watchwww.youtube.com
TI can bite this ...
dj solomon 9:40 AM - 12 August, 2006
Quote:
Watchwww.youtube.com
TI can bite this ...

that is doope!
Dj KaGeN 3:00 AM - 13 August, 2006
I always wondered why there was a slight offness in the song, now i see that you have to move your hands a long way down the keyboard.. I feel whole now knowing this. thanks i not knew.
s42000 4:53 AM - 31 August, 2006
Watchwww.youtube.com

Steve D !!! DMC 1991
phil 5:34 AM - 31 August, 2006
Quote:
Watchwww.youtube.com

Steve D !!! DMC 1991
Classic. Amazing his skills back in 1991
s42000 3:26 AM - 8 September, 2006
Watchwww.youtube.com ...tight set!
s42000 3:50 AM - 8 September, 2006
DJ Izoh Watchwww.youtube.com Another tight set !
phil 11:29 AM - 8 September, 2006
COMPLETLEY unrelated but so damn funny beatbox... www.clipaday.com
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 9:31 PM - 8 September, 2006
this set classifies as sick Watchyoutube.com (literally)
gazla 11:30 PM - 8 September, 2006
this guys is not a dj he is an actor and i think he really acts like an electronic dj well
hahahahahahhaah
i watched this dude maybe 50 times cant get over it

loooooooooooooooooooooooollll
s42000 11:29 PM - 12 September, 2006
Watchwww.youtube.com ... J-Rocc doing his thing ...
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 7:00 AM - 19 September, 2006
pretty sick (as in interesting) Watchwww.youtube.com on different media
Osiris 9:46 AM - 19 September, 2006
Quote:
pretty sick (as in interesting) Watchwww.youtube.com on different media

LOL!!! Reel-to-reel! The only ones I know in existance anymore are the 2 Akais on display at my old man's house in his museum of ancient artifacts. That was pretty sick though! Each of those reels holds about 3 hours of music and my old man has tons of them.
s42000 4:03 AM - 14 October, 2006
s42000 4:05 AM - 14 October, 2006
phil 4:13 AM - 14 October, 2006
Quote:
www.wittyvideos.com 720!

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLY shit
dj ruin 6:01 AM - 14 October, 2006
damn that 720 was indeed sick
wakka 12:37 PM - 15 October, 2006
Quote:
DJ Izoh Watchwww.youtube.com Another tight set !

Great set, thanks
djcrxxx 11:03 PM - 15 October, 2006
720 omg got me dizzy
DJ FLATLINE 6:56 AM - 16 October, 2006
Quote:
Quote:
www.wittyvideos.com 720!

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLY shit

OMG!!!!!
s42000 12:29 AM - 1 December, 2006
Watchwww.youtube.com

Scratch Bastard ... :) Nice
DJ LTIZZZLE 1:33 PM - 4 December, 2006
Watchwww.youtube.com

Dj kast is off the hizzzle fo shizzzzle
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 3:19 PM - 4 December, 2006
Quote:
Watchwww.youtube.com

Dj kast is off the hizzzle fo shizzzzle

off tha hook yo! definately dope too
DJ LTIZZZLE 8:03 AM - 5 December, 2006
I've seen a bunch of video's. I have to say he is the best example of how to use Serato with efx's and everything. He was getting busy.
s42000 1:21 AM - 25 January, 2007
phil 10:05 PM - 9 February, 2007
Ladies and gents:

Roman Zerano V1.5

awesome :D

Watchwww.youtube.com
Dj KaGeN 11:38 PM - 9 February, 2007
nice find phil.....
phil 12:42 AM - 10 February, 2007
I guess I DO know what "....." means :P

but it was reaaaaly hard to find ;)
PikWik 12:51 AM - 10 February, 2007
Watchyoutube.com

And What!?
Request_This_Ladies 1:49 AM - 10 February, 2007
Look past the wannabe crook'd Hip Hop hat...

Watchyoutube.com
Monk-A 11:31 AM - 10 February, 2007
Quote:
Watchyoutube.com

And What!?

that is just the sickest innit?

more Troubl, on MVibes:

both the same routines but form different places:
Watchwww.youtube.com
Watchwww.youtube.com

Freestyle Scratching:
Watchwww.youtube.com

Allies beatdown:
Watchwww.youtube.com
Watchwww.youtube.com
Watchwww.youtube.com
Watchwww.youtube.com

Dj Kodh's mixvibes Advert:
Watchwww.youtube.com
dj KarrsiN 1:04 PM - 10 February, 2007
Quote:
Watchwww.youtube.com
TI can bite this ...

Love this! But LOL @ 1:49 :)
djcrxxx 6:44 AM - 26 February, 2007
DJ BABY FINGAZZ 6:39 PM - 27 April, 2007
thats some tight shizzz but tell me what you think about me. i just got back into the dj game after a 1yr. here is my home made vid of me im alittle rusty! let me know..

vids.myspace.com
DJ LTIZZZLE 7:13 AM - 27 May, 2007
Watchwww.youtube.com

lost for words
Monk-A 7:27 AM - 27 May, 2007
yeah thats Lamont, good friend of mine... he's sick as f*ck
DJ LTIZZZLE 8:18 AM - 27 May, 2007
sup Monk. Long time man. I'm trying to learn ableton now for mashes and remixes. been working ABM. I'm still Iraq doing big things for the troops. what's good? I'm still jammin that one mix you posted on here way back
DJ SPAIR 10:28 PM - 27 May, 2007
Quote:

and why....

Not true.. I know Q personally he I think he would dig Solomons style.

I really liked the video. Very clean transitions he pulled off.
J_Static 1:15 AM - 28 May, 2007
Got a better one!!! I love drum-n-bass, but go do a search for a Kevin Sawka or Sawa I think, dude does LIVE drum-n-bass on the drums.....absolutely gifted and talented
Monk-A 8:20 AM - 29 May, 2007
I posted links to sawka's stuff longtime ago, doa search for live drum and bass on here.
SELECT 1:31 PM - 29 May, 2007
This thread is hilarious. You guys are comparing some crazy Scratch routine to DJ performance at a professional basketball game. There is a difference between scratchin and DJ'n. Scratchin is one of the elements. DJ Solomon was DJ'n!!!

Im MORE impressed that they got a real DJ rockin a crowd at a game like that. Im more impressed by Solomon. Dude got a gig Dj'n at pro basketball game and hes doublin up, cuttin and scratchin. If I were in his shoes I would be rockin it the same way. Who wants to HEAR a 30 minute scratch routine during a game? That shit would be so inappropriate. That shit is cool for battles or showcases, but not for a gig like Solomons. I cant believe people would even have the nerve to compare the two.

Also before you say anything else, Ive seen the best turntablists first hand from qbert, atrak, xecutioners, etc. My foundation as a DJ is based from that. Ive also seen the Doo Wops, S&S's, Clark Kents, etc. Its a totally different ballgame to be able to ROCK for 4-6 hours than doing a crazy scratch routine.

You guys are comparing apples to oranges.

Props to DJ Solomon for being able to double like that at a pro basketball game. They'd probably be playing the Macarena if you werent there.

PEACE.
dj solomon 6:29 PM - 29 May, 2007
Quote:
They'd probably be playing the Macarena if you werent there.

PEACE.

HA HA HA HA WOOOORD, thanks for the kind words....