DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

High school reunion

DJ NoNseNse 7:21 AM - 22 August, 2009
Got all my music pretty much ready. Been prepping for this for a while. Has anyone been to theirs or played at one before recently? Just curious if a lot of people really dance at these things. I would imagine most people would just be talking to each other and catching up even though its a small city and most people never left.
DJ McKay 1:29 PM - 22 August, 2009
couldnt really tell ya i wont be having my ten year high school reuning for about another three years. and i have never DJed one either but im guessing there wouldnt be to much dancing.
john blaze 3:41 PM - 22 August, 2009
You are correct, most people stand around and talk for most of the party. I've done quite a few.
Maskrider 4:23 PM - 22 August, 2009
Play music that they can reminisce.
Mike_P 4:26 PM - 22 August, 2009
i've done one reunion and it was for a class that graduated in the 60's (can't remember the exact year) but it was really cool. along with getting to play some pretty damn cool music these people were dancers!
SK1 11:18 PM - 22 August, 2009
No one really danced at mine. Mostly just talking and catching up. The dj wasn't that good, but I would reccomend having the hits from the graduating class year, plus the hits that were big the other three years they were in school. Find out if they had a class song, luckily our dj had it.
djartvaldez 9:18 AM - 23 August, 2009
...sup my man...juz did an '89 reunion in San Jose, CA...i had to really break shit down in my head about prepping for the reunion...what i did was...figured out demographics, who was i playing for? and what kinda shit might they wanna here...based on the area...in my case, they listened to everything...and i mean just that...even during that time when they were in highschool (1989)...not juz songs from those years but songs they grew up with, from elementary school on up...so what i did was create playlists: NEW WAVE DINNER/DANCE (DEPECHE MODE, DURAN DURAN, FLOCK OF SEAGULS...), OLDSCHOOL RAP (LIKE THE YO-MTV RAP SHIT FROM BACK IN DA DAY), POP DINNER/DANCE (MADONNA, EDDIE MONEY, THOSE ONE HIT WONDERS...), OLD SCHOOL DINNER/DANCE (I'M TALKING GAP BAND, ZAPP, SOS BAND, UP TO READY FOR THE WORLD, NEW EDITION, PAULA ABDUL...), HIGH ENERGY (STEVIE B., CONNIE, DINO, NOCERA...), REGGAE(BOB MARLY UB40 TYP OF STUFF JUZ KNOWN STUFF), OF COURSE ROCK MUSIC (METALLICA, DEF LEPPARD, ACDC STUFF), AND OF COURSE DISCO...and a special Michael Jackson set...then i had the new top 40 stuff too with remixes and 80's mashups...I PREPPED SO MANY (POPULAR TRACKS) WITHIN 10 YEARS OF THEIR GRADUATION YEAR...i'll tell bro it got silly that night...their energy was felt right through that music...it took me about 2 1/2 weeks prior to the reunion to square playlists up, but it was worth it...and i wasn't even worried about what track i was going to play next...i just made sure that it flowed well...
DJ Sniffles 9:51 AM - 23 August, 2009
High school anni? Damn!! You old mofo
djartvaldez 6:46 PM - 23 August, 2009
...ha!...LOL...i feel like i'm getting there...but i started dj'n when i was 13 yrs old...i'm 34 now...but yeah...tired of carrying all that shit around (speakers etc...) ...its the biggest pain in the ass...at least we don't have to carry around crates of vynal anymore...

...lately i've been finding that the honest helper will help me unload my gear when i get to the venue...and i'll play some of his muzik throughout the night...then i'll find the buzzed out/drunk dip-shit whom i'll just take advantage of to help me load up my shit at the end...sometimes its 2 or 3 foolz...funny shit...but yeah as i get older...i gotta get smarter...i'm the DJ, not a moving company...LOL!...
DJ NoNseNse 5:00 PM - 29 August, 2009
Do most reunions need lighting or do they keep the lights on like a wedding party? I asked about lighting was told to bring what I think is necessary. How am I suppose to know what necessary is?
djartvaldez 12:29 AM - 30 August, 2009
...get some lights bro...even you have to rent...$25 - $50 bucks per light...depends on how fancy you wanna go...but since its a reunion...they wont give a shit...just dont leave the lights on...dim them, or turn them off completey and run the light...it doesnt have to be fancy...

...right now i run an old light...probably a 10 year old light...I'll get some new shit eventually...but not a prioity...anyways i used to put it on a stand...not anymore...EXAMPLE...i saw this DJ roll through from our local radio station... he came into the resturaunt/bar one night to play some music, and he had the same old light I was using...he laid that little fucking light on the floor, and pointed at the ceiling, and got busy!...SCRATCH LIVE BUSY!...he was a good DJ so the light never mattered...he got people off their asses, and had them groovin...HE DIDN'T NEED THE LIGHT...but it does add that extra something to the night...but it DOESN'T MATTER WHAT KIND OF LIGHT YOU USE....I RECOMMEND A FUNCTIONING LIGHT...and keep it cheap...and keep it simple..hope that helps...my DJ brother...
DJ NoNseNse 11:24 AM - 30 August, 2009
I got some lights but i didnt need them there so im just gonna return them. The reunion was coo, it weird thought because I only went to high school there as a freshman before I moved so its like been like 14 yrs since I seen most of these people. They were lovin my michael jackson set. I cant even believe Im still awake, left at 1am to take a 3 hr drive back home
Wells1010 6:39 PM - 17 September, 2019
Hello! I am very glad that I got to such a wonderful forum where very interesting topics are raised. For me, as a parent, it is very important that the school gives good knowledge, which in the future will help him find a good job. And now there is a tendency in different countries to reunite secondary schools. I watched a lot on the Internet on this topic and decided to order several articles on this topic at writingcreek.com, where I was very surprised by the depth of information in this work. And I learned for myself that the reunification of secondary schools will allow students to start and finish their studies at the same school
HouseHead86 2:09 PM - 22 September, 2019
I did mine a few yrs back in Philly. Wanted it to be music that was out when we were in school(82-86) etc. Threw everything at them and like others said people just stood around, danced a few songs but that was about it.

It was mainly just a social thing, folks catching up.