DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Name that track/video that you dare put on and the crowd ate it.

sixxx 2:42 PM - 15 August, 2009
You know. You find yourself in complete control of the dance floor. No matter what you throw at them, they dance to. But there are those few tracks/videos that only a few DJ's dare touch. These are experienced DJ's that can feel the vibe of the club and test its limits.... most of the time ending in success.

Last night for me, that video/track was......

Ghostbusters. Hahahahaha They were singing it and all. And you could see that some people were in complete amazement, perhaps too drunk to comprehend what I had just hit them with, but they kept singing and could not leave the dance floor. I only played about half the track to keep the momentum going. It was magical. lol
BERTO 2:58 PM - 15 August, 2009
sick
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 3:00 PM - 15 August, 2009
Hmmm, testing limits...

LOL, not quite exactly what you are looking for but last night about 15 minutes before close did a long ride of the Instrumental of Mims - "Move" with Drake - "Successful". Seemed a pretty cool way to get the crowd from Party mode to wind down and "get the fuck out" mode.

Seemed to work and did it's job, people dug it but dancefloor went 75% dead when I came out into Drake,
BERTO 3:03 PM - 15 August, 2009
i love the get the fuck out songs its basically who cares what you think ima play my style now!!!
eder 6:32 PM - 15 August, 2009
Ghostbusters is in heavy rotation for my college sets. Ghostbusters>Ghost Ride It.

Abba- Dancing Queen. Even the guys were singing along.
DJ Prinvale` 7:19 PM - 15 August, 2009
Shout Parts 1 & 2

never in my life have I Have 1,000+ people be so into what I consider a "wedding" song.
djaction 8:32 PM - 15 August, 2009
DJ Scene has you beat:

@ 2:54 Watchwww.youtube.com
SuckaDJ 8:38 PM - 15 August, 2009
^^
not sure if the crowd ate it up.. but it was clean!
SuckaDJ 8:39 PM - 15 August, 2009
walkin in an hearing that must be AWESOME!
C. William 10:00 PM - 15 August, 2009
last friday i dropped Switch's "I'll Never Be" and the place went fucking nuts
Dj-Bedtime 10:57 AM - 16 August, 2009
Quote:
DJ Scene has you beat:

@ 2:54 Watchwww.youtube.com Watchwww.youtube.com

I still have the Smart-E's version in my crates for the old school/classic techno sets. That song killed the LA underground scene in 92.
Mike_P 3:38 PM - 16 August, 2009
had a night like this last night. whatever i dropped they stayed on the floor. i usually can never get away with playing house (i dj mostly weddings) but i was able to drop in some classic house here and there (mixed with pitbull, predictable i know) and they loved it. and yeah, action LA early to mid 90's, sesame street was played at every rave, warehouse and backyard party. haha! i think i still have it somewhere along with pacman and the muppets theme.
niqolas619 3:53 PM - 16 August, 2009
I was doing a college house party last month where I played Coldplay's "Lost" for the last song of the night, pretty much just to be an ass. I'm definitely not a fan of Coldplay - I just have that one song of theirs through the DJcity record pool - but I thought it'd be funny seeing people try to switch from dancing hip hop all night to dancing to this ish.

I wouldn't say they ate it up, but they stayed out there and did whatever anyway. I didn't care what happened at this point, though, cuz like I said it was the last song and people were pissing me off with all the lame ass requests all night.
Kedar 6:37 PM - 16 August, 2009
i routinely play the fresh prince of bell air with a video remix- i never realize how many people know the words perfectly lol
dj_craigmac 2:43 AM - 17 August, 2009
Sixxx its funny that you start this thread because last night i went out on a limb and tried something just to see what would happen. Now keep in mind that my residencey is a ghetto hood black club that only wants to hear todays hot garbage/dirtysouth all night long. So at midnight which is prime time at my club i drop an oldschool west coast hiphop set that packed the floor. Now i know what you're all thinkin, you are in san diego so u should be doin that any way??? Not!!! For those of u that dont know san diego is a military town full of people from the south that kinda are the majority of my crowd so thats usually all they wanna here. But strangely enuff last nite they lost their minds to that set and thought that some of the joints were newand started askin me " yo mac what was that fiyah"??? All i could do was laugh to myself, fuckin youngsters. lol
dj vegas 2:52 AM - 17 August, 2009
sence the mashup days crowds are never shocked! country music like play me some mountian music at a hip hop club worked for me but i am in the south lol
sixxx 3:46 AM - 17 August, 2009
I know exactly what you mean craigmac. I played in Lemoore (NAS) for 4 years and the majority are implants from all parts of the country - mainly south people who have no idea they're going to end up in Lemoore. hahaha
Audio1 4:20 AM - 17 August, 2009
Victor Menegaux was stationed at Lemoore (NAS) years ago... Colorado Springs is the same, 100% dirty south folks in the Military who only request 60-90 bpm hood rap. LOL
sixxx 5:36 AM - 17 August, 2009
Yeah. We never really gave into that though. We always drove the bus. We played a set of dirty south, but we played a variety of everything to keep everyone happy.
sopranosupasta 1:38 PM - 17 August, 2009
I've been dropping Sade- Smooth Operator. with a big beat behind it.... crowd LOVES it....
CMOS 7:25 PM - 17 August, 2009
Watchwww.youtube.com over a looped 4 to the floor.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 8:20 PM - 17 August, 2009
Dont ever drop "Rico Suave" no matter how much you think you pwn the floor.

no really.
sixxx 8:21 PM - 17 August, 2009
Quote:

no really.

I agree. lol
djaction 8:47 PM - 17 August, 2009
haha.. eh crowds really aren't surprised by anything anymore.

we have serato and the billions of mashups out there to thank for that..
DJ Prinvale` 10:50 PM - 17 August, 2009
Quote:

it's more about how you build the song up vs just dropping random tracks "because you can"
sixxx 10:52 PM - 17 August, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

it's more about how you build the song up vs just dropping random tracks "because you can"

Exactly. Prinvale gets it. (no homo)
djbigboy 11:22 PM - 17 August, 2009
i had similar experience with Ghostbuster too...

To me, once you have the crowd on your side, you should push the envelope...if you are playing the same songs as everyone else, you aren't making your self stand out...

A few months back(march/april) I was playing Ting Tings "Thats Not My Name" and also 3Oh3 "Don't Trust Me" and Kelly Clarkson....way before they crossed over, and the reactions surprised me...know your audience and you can get away with anything...its easier when they are on your side and you wander off the beat path

There's a nice Twist and Shout bmore version that I play often that gets a good reaction too.....

Recently playing hip hop, I played ONYX Slam and you would've sworn it was 1992...I also played a prime time freestyle set and got good reaction for Noel "silent morning" (video)...

For a minute I was getting away with Boats n Hoes but I am sure there were other peeps getting away with it too...and I'n On A Boat (still works)
sixxx 11:33 PM - 17 August, 2009
Quote:
To me, once you have the crowd on your side, you should push the envelope...if you are playing the same songs as everyone else, you aren't making your self stand out...

Another person who gets it. And, you're absolutely right. When you reach that point when you have control of the crowd, you can drop new music, underground, or whatever (not at random, gotta read your crowd still).

I think this is what separates your average DJ from a great DJ. IMO anyway.
Rebelguy 11:42 PM - 17 August, 2009
Last Saturday was my fun night.

Color Me Badd - All 4 Love

There were a few others but this one was my favorite.
SuckaDJ 11:43 PM - 17 August, 2009
if you can pull off hannah montanas theme song, you're GOOOOOD! haha my daughter loves that song.
eder 11:46 PM - 17 August, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

Another person who gets it. And, you're absolutely right. When you reach that point when you have control of the crowd, you can drop new music, underground, or whatever (not at random, gotta read your crowd still).

I think this is what separates your average DJ from a great DJ. IMO anyway.

It really is all about reading the crowd. Just because the crowd is feelin' your last 5 top 40 garbage that came out last week doesn't mean you have the crowd. It comes down to knowing your limits when it comes to breaking records, old or new. I have a feeling some microwave is gonna go out and play all our "out there" songs back to back and then wonder why he lost his gig when we all had positive experiences with them.
sixxx 11:56 PM - 17 August, 2009
lol eder. I hope that happens.
Dj-Bedtime 12:15 AM - 18 August, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

no really.

I agree. lol

Eff that... I dropped "I'm too sexy" and kept my crowd with a few screams.

(then again when I got home I had to take a long rape shower) nooooo misquote
C. William 12:20 AM - 18 August, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

no really.

I agree. lol

Eff that... I dropped "I'm too sexy" and kept my crowd with a few screams.

(then again when I got home I had to take a long rape shower) nooooo misquote

lol dude you're killin' me
sixxx 12:24 AM - 18 August, 2009
lol @ long rape shower. hahahahaha
DJ Overpour 12:51 AM - 18 August, 2009
Quote:

no really.

Hahaha
Chucks 1:40 AM - 18 August, 2009
Quote:
lol @ long rape shower. hahahahaha

haha +1

Watchwww.youtube.com
e.rich 8:49 AM - 18 August, 2009
Dion & The Belmonts - Runaround Sue.

Always incites the most ridiculous dance party.
DJ NoNseNse 10:20 AM - 18 August, 2009
has anyone dropped the ice cream and cake song yet?
Swizzle 11:08 AM - 18 August, 2009
I usually do a too drunk to realize it track(s) as well. I normally drop it for my bar/college residency, but the other night I was guest spinning at a pretty upscale club with a ritzy older crowd. I saw they were loving Celebration and Let's Groove Tonite. So I gave 'em a little bit of my Spring Break set, so next it was........

"Party Peoplllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllle!"
Yeahhh, Tag Team music in Full Effect

Even followed it up with some 69 Boys - Come on Ride The Train
and then mixed in Vengaboys - We Like To Party.

I used to have a crush on the lil ethnic dark-haired chic.
Watchwww.youtube.com
Rebelguy 3:28 PM - 18 August, 2009
Quote:
Dion & The Belmonts - Runaround Sue.

Always incites the most ridiculous dance party.

I actually dropped this at an 18th birthday last week. Also played the Foundations. The kids ate it up. Haven't dropped them at a club though.
sixxx 3:43 PM - 18 August, 2009
Tag Team's Whoop There It Is' is a classic.... so that one works regardless.
Mike_P 4:11 PM - 18 August, 2009
runaround sue is just a damn good song! speaking of out there stuff...i just found some of my old records from when i was a kid. some pretty crazy stuff!
djchase 4:22 PM - 18 August, 2009
Quote:
DJ Scene has you beat:

what was that vwersion of thing tings he played after sesame street?

oh yeah i played figaro one night....everyone turned around and look when they heard the violin then the guy went LA LA LA LA........this girl came up and said you think your soo smart but when FIGAROOOOOOO cmae thise guys went NUTS
sixxx 4:31 PM - 18 August, 2009
lol @ FIGARO
Rane, Support
Chad S. 4:55 PM - 18 August, 2009
Quote:

Color me badd had more than one song?!?

lulz
sixxx 5:00 PM - 18 August, 2009
lol
Rebelguy 6:28 PM - 18 August, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

Color me badd had more than one song?!?

lulz

I meant left field songs but hell yeah they have more than one song. Sex U Up (no homo or misquote) and I Adore Me Amore (still no homo or misquote) were the jams back in the day.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 6:44 PM - 18 August, 2009
Oh yeah, I spaced the "I Adore Me Amore " song. But seriously those are the only two i remember being hits. I'm not abopve playing sex you up. Shoot I have the 12" the 7" a digital file and a drum and bass remix . Scary....... Which I have been known to drop on occasion. People rock to it.

So I guess that could be one song to fit the thread title. Any drum n bass head out there knows what I'm talking about. ;)
slimmjimm 6:49 PM - 18 August, 2009
Blah, all of you:

Intro of Step by Step into the drop of Girl You Know it's True.

I do agree with Chad and Rico Suave. BUT, some drunk chick came up and wanted Suavemente, but asked for Rico Suave. I kept going "Are you suuuuure?" After about the tenth time she waved over a friend. When I told her what happened, the friend said I should have played it just to make her look like an ass. She was clearly a mobile in her past life.
sixxx 6:54 PM - 18 August, 2009
Quote:
Intro of Step by Step

Are you talking about the sitcom? lol
SuckaDJ 7:00 PM - 18 August, 2009
i love the lamberts!!! lol
djchase 7:08 PM - 18 August, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
Intro of Step by Step

Are you talking about the sitcom? lol

i have played that track the way the girls scream its like there having an orgasm on the dancefloor (no misquote)
Ingo B 7:15 PM - 18 August, 2009
"Pop Goes My Love" by Hugh Grant, as featured in the romantic comedy "Music & Lyrics". I keeps it street, yo.

The UK tourists who frequent my spot ate it up.
sixxx 7:17 PM - 18 August, 2009
LOL @ Pop Goes My Love. I actually thought of dropping that song when that movie came out. lol
DJ Benny B NYC 7:38 PM - 18 August, 2009
i play reggae covers of cheesy songs like i want it that way ive got to get it and that always goes over well
Joshua Carl 2:27 AM - 19 August, 2009
well here it goes.

I made my own video version of "Man of constant sorrow" video from O brother, where art thou.
drop it over the "dre day" Instr, sometimes over the "hello" instr

Ive dropped the ghostbusters video a few times...Im dying to make a vid mix from some of the breaks mixes I have of it.

Im always dropping Lonely Island videos. they clean up.
and Hanks's "please dont cut my testicles"

fresh prince of bel air video KILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLS for me too.

but the guiltiest, the song I hate that absolutely drives this room nuts is,
and its no exclusive, is Living on a prayer.
its unbelieveable how they react to it... I can honestly say everyone is screaming
the words at the top of their lungs.
and each time; i die a little inside.

when I really want to throw the big curve though
3 Videos
Jungle Love - Morris day & the mutha fuckin time. (thats getting the toes wet)
Walk the Dinosaur - Was (not) Was (thats waist deep)
Batdance - Prince - (your underwater & theres no coming up)

Ive also dropped living with a Hernia by Weird AL....Ooops.
Joshua Carl 2:31 AM - 19 August, 2009
shit...
TOTALLY forgot about dropping Quincy Jones -'The Streetbeater with a video montage I made....

oh, dont recognize that?

this might help. ur crowd will lose its shit
Watchwww.youtube.com

trust me....
oh, and your welcome. hahahahahahahaha
FunkyRob 4:00 AM - 19 August, 2009
Quote:
has anyone dropped the ice cream and cake song yet?

you can download it here. test it out and let us know.

www.brvideocontest.com
Joshua Carl 4:25 AM - 19 August, 2009
if that catches on I will slam my nuts in a letter-press
FunkyRob 5:02 AM - 19 August, 2009
turns out to be a real song. who knew?

en.wikipedia.org
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 1:31 PM - 19 August, 2009
Quote:
if that catches on I will slam my nuts in a letter-press

LOL remember Peanut Butter Jelly time? Watchwww.youtube.com

OUCH, Feel sorry for you nutz,
Joshua Carl 1:33 PM - 19 August, 2009
yeah, but was tha jam! (no pun intended)
DJ Benny B NYC 1:40 PM - 19 August, 2009
Quote:

yeah peanut butter jelly time gets a pass
sixxx 1:44 PM - 19 August, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

yeah peanut butter jelly time gets gas

fixed
Joshua Carl 5:36 PM - 22 August, 2009
it was a giggly crowd.

last night I looped up the intro beats from the cupid shuffle in the sampler.

looped up the video of Zombie Nation (the all-too-overplayed synthline) from
the original (not the crowd chant mix)

then did some magic with Afternoon Delight video from Anchorman over those

it was the last song, so it definately had the "everyone watching" effect on em.
Mike_P 7:16 PM - 22 August, 2009
^^ haha! GLORIOUS!
Joshua Carl 2:04 AM - 1 September, 2009
this past saturday.

this
Watchwww.youtube.com

got the idea... a friend o mine had done an audio re-edit that I used to drop
that always got a good response.
so I looped 32 of Jay-Z's I just wanna love you and let it fly.

killer response.

I also went from the Knight rider intro into Beware the boyz/turn it up;fire it up/

I love playing shit like this...it keeps me happy.

this week might be the WHats Happening or Good Times intro
Joshua Carl 2:04 AM - 1 September, 2009
all video obviously
sixxx 2:58 AM - 1 September, 2009
lol... sweet.
DJ eXeS 3:35 AM - 1 September, 2009
backstreet boys - quit playin games with my heart...ppl went crazy when i played it haha
Joshua Carl 4:02 AM - 1 September, 2009
oh u got to drop everybody.
chix jizz themselves
ZESH! 4:23 AM - 1 September, 2009
OK OK

Here's my story:

About a month ago...had a wedding
The groom wanted to dance a special song that he picked with his little girl..but "she didnt wanna" (shy)

So, believe it or not...I Played

Sponge Bob Square Pants!!!

EVERYBODY Loved it and sang along...I shit myself

So a couple weeks ago, Had a gig and and dropped a house beat at the end
Did the Trademark Jesus pose (thought of you retards, that's where I got it from LMFAO)
THEY LOVED it !!....TRY IT!
sixxx 6:26 AM - 1 September, 2009
lol Spongebobsquarepants. crazy
intensify 9:24 AM - 1 September, 2009
last friday on the 28th i dropped the video to "I WILL SURVIVE" omg the cougars went crazy. never in my life i played that at a club. i couldnt stop laughing
djchase 11:43 PM - 5 September, 2009
Quote:
OK OK

Here's my story:

About a month ago...had a wedding
The groom wanted to dance a special song that he picked with his little girl..but "she didnt wanna" (shy)

So, believe it or not...I Played

Sponge Bob Square Pants!!!

EVERYBODY Loved it and sang along...I shat myself
DJDemand 3:37 PM - 6 September, 2009
Quote:
DJ Scene has you beat:

scene is a beast! last time i was at murmur he dropped michael mcdonald and doobie brothers - what a fool believes at 1am! by 3am he was playin the ymca.
Watchwww.youtube.com
(at 7:14)