DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

WHY I QUIT DJING ABOUT 5 YEARS AGO

hipster 4:31 AM - 13 August, 2009
keepin it real here for the young cats that think djing is easy money and that it will make a successful career.

i started djing around 95' with highschool kids that i used to rhyme with. didnt get my own set of tables til 97 but by then i already had a crate full of records. (most i still have) first record i bought is the 12" of 2pac's i get around from tower records (rip)... my first gig was a christmas house party that we rocked with a boombox, i passed up pussy that night cuz i had to drive the gear home. in fact i've passed up so much pussy after djing just cuz i had to make sure my dj shit didnt get jacked. i still managed to do ok in class cuz my parents kept me in check. i also had time for football and track after school. i didnt seriously get into djing until after i got to guest spin on air at wild 107.7. jojo on the radio hooked me up! after that all i wanted to do was practice and become a radio dj. jazzy, rebel, scotty, were my idols. jose was a faggot, still is and always will be. then wyld started playin all this trance shit which i wasnt feelin. i wanted to spin company flow, mos def, talib, rawkus records type ish so i was like fucck that screw radio. imma be a battle dj instead.

so i went to college. tried to get an engineering degree at one of the top schools in cali but i wasnt focused. all i wanted to do was dj, skratch, and work on battle routines. i skipped hella classes cuz i dj'ed shit gigs at bars and frat parties. even did college radio at 1-4am so i could spin. my grades suffered and after 3 years i was kicked out of school for being on academic probation for 3 sems. but everything was all gravy back then cuz i had skills. i even took a couple local battles and i had a crew that was down and all we did was toke, make beats, cut, make mixtapes, toke, and do club gigs. i was living my life as a full time dj and i thought i was happy. i had homies and down ass chicks that had my back and a network of cool ass peeps and industry heads. i thought life was good and i thought i could dj until i was 50 years old like rick lee. well that mentality wouldnt last for long.

when you are almost 25 and still livin at home, jobless, no girlfriend, fat and unhealthy, life isnt exactly great. my only accomplishments that i could be proud of were my record collection and my hard drive... which is sad. i realized that my life was a mess and in order to get it back on track i had to follow a different path, djing leads to nowhere and it held me back from other opportunities. its not like a had an epiphany and changed over night. it took me a long while to get adjusted but qutting djing was the first step i needed to take.

i got introduced to internet marketing from a friend and he showed me how to make the easiest money you can ever make online. simple shit like making a site, hosting ads, etc. i got real good at doing this and it became my full time job for the past 2-3 years. now i GUARANTEE that i make more money than anyone on this board. im not braggin but just speakin the truth that djing is SHITTY money and that you will NEVER come up from it. theres so much bigger and easier opportunities out there. dont fall into the DJ trap.

IF I ONLY COULD TAKE BACK THE TIME I WASTED ON
- countless hours spent diggin at amoebas, zebras, ultrasoundz, streetlight, openmind, tower, USF record swaps, thrift shops and record shops outside of SF.
- countless hours spent talking shit, reading bullshit, creating fake aliases on scratchpapers, piklz board, djdstyles.com, asisphonics, mplayer, paltalk, skratchin with other djs on aim, and of course this shitty place - SCRATCHLIVE.net.
- countless hours researching shitty songs and the worst part, having to listen to them multiple times to see if its a club hit or not.
- countless hours working for free at a record pool just so that i can get free records.
- countless hours doing SHITTY gigs with no crowd at SHITTY bars for SHITTY pay.
- countless hours studying shitty battle videos and rewinding them over and over.
- countless hours doing skratch and juggle drills til my hand hurt.
- countless hours kickin it and talking bullshit with loser djs with no social skills.
- countless hours attending dj battles, gigs, bullshit conferences like skratchcon.
- countless hours waiting for tracks to download on the comp.
- countless hours of taking the shitty muni all over town to do the above.

WAS ALL OF THIS WORTH IT? FUUUUCK NO!

QUIT DJING BEFORE ITS TOO LATE

PEACE
isaiahjeremiah 4:50 AM - 13 August, 2009
i laughed at the last part cuz i read the last part first.. then i read the first part, not as funny.. then i went here www.latfh.com funny again!
djdragon 4:56 AM - 13 August, 2009
You my friend are the epitome of my most favorite quote ever.

Quote:
Never starve for an 'ART' or do or take any gig just exposure.
Because people DIE from exposure.
-DJ Lace Vancouver
DJMark 4:56 AM - 13 August, 2009
On one hand, I'm always very sorry to hear someone's story about how DJ-ing didn't work out for them.

On the other hand...

/self-edit/

Enough said.
Proto J 5:39 AM - 13 August, 2009
yeah, you're an idiot.

DJing is actually great money for the hours you put in, and if you utilize the free time it allows you wisely, you can make MEGA cream off the dj money in the stock market, real estate, and various other investments...

just because you failed to use DJing as a benefit to your life does not mean "it leads nowhere"...

do you know how many people i know personally who went to college, got the degree, and have absolutely nothing to show for it besides debt (or their job has absolutely nothing to do with their degree, so it was basically a huge waste of time and money)? do you have any idea how many people i know personally who've lost their jobs, can't find another one, and unemployment is about to be all dried up? the reality is DJing has proven to have great job security for me (even if you lose a gig, if you're good and have a decent reputation you can easily find another job, even when the country is in a recession people go out and cry in their beers and dance their worries away)...

i know guys who work at ibm, but dj on the side, only because they know they've been training these indian dudes to do their job for cheaper so they can eventually lay them off...

these days school doesn't guarantee you shit. my grandparents used to drill it into my brain, "school, school, school", and that's probably because back then it worked, it was about your only way out into some kind of financial freedom. now tho, that's not the case, if you don't use school to get somewhere, school will use you (you end up paying a bunch of money for nothing)... the problem is it's hard to keep your finger on the pulse of the job market, what you get your degree in might not be poppin' anymore once you're out (unless you go for the sure fire stuff like the medical field)... my friend got a job, but a girl he dated graduated with the same degree 6 months after him didn't... she's now waiting tables and he works at ibm, shook he's gonna get laid off...

i know guys who dj full time and make 6 figures, have roth i.r.a.'s, real estate and stocks poppin', make music, and other ventures they maintain in all the free time DJing allows...

and another cool thing about DJIng for a living is, if you enjoy it, and are trying to get better and better, and it's not just for money, then you get paid to practice and perfect your craft... if my music production leads anywhere and i go on tour in support of it, i'm gonna KILL 'em out there with my dj skills, simply because i've gotten to spend maaaad time practicing it... with most other jobs you can easily end up totally hating it, mostly because they don't give you anything but monetary gains...

so fall back with your attitude that just because you let your life go to shit that it's all DJing's fault... it's not.
sixxx 5:51 AM - 13 August, 2009
Someone call the whaaaaambulance for hipster. lol
SuckaDJ 6:09 AM - 13 August, 2009
jose melendez? lol

anyways, you must've had a bad day.

ninos, you're 13, where do you work at?? lol
you named a few dj's, how many dj's out there are trying to "make" it??

good read proto
hipster 6:22 AM - 13 August, 2009
SIXXX you are the perfect example of somebody who has been in the game for so long and have jack shit to show for it.
thats why you are on these boards 24/7 tryin to shit on newbies to make yourself feel better as a dj.

you djed for a bunch of low budget stations and opened up sets for a bunch of artists but i bet you didnt get paid. BEEN THERE DONE THAT.

what exactly are your goals as a dj? i dont deny that you have some skills and can rock a club but so the fuck what? you gettin old bro. if you havent made a name for yourself yet, chances are you WONT.

ITS TIME YOU WAKE THE FUCK UP, MAKE A CAREER CHECK AND WORRY ABOUT HOW YOU GONNA RAISE A FAMILY WHILE FIGHTING FOR SHITTY LEFTOVER GIGS WITH 21 YEAR OLD DJS.

OH BUT YOU DONT HAVE A BACK UP PLAN. YOU DONT HAVE A DEGREE TO FALL BACK ON. I UNDERSTAND YOU DONT KNOW SHIT ABOUT BUSINESS AND HAVE NO OTHER REAL LIFE SKILLS TO GET YOURSELF A REAL JOB. ITS OK, THAT DOESNT MEAN YOU HAVE TO BE A DJ FOR LIFE. SELL YOUR DAMN RECORDS AND OPEN UP A MEXICAN RESTAURANT.

PEACE
SuckaDJ 6:30 AM - 13 August, 2009
shittin on newbies LOLOLOL

hey you were talkin about melendez right?
djdragon 6:38 AM - 13 August, 2009
Monsignor hipster. SPEED kills.
hipster 6:39 AM - 13 August, 2009
Quote:
yeah, you're an idiot.

DJing is actually great money for the hours you put in, and if you utilize the free time it allows you wisely, you can make MEGA cream off the dj money in the stock market, real estate, and various other investments...

just because you failed to use DJing as a benefit to your life does not mean "it leads nowhere"...

so fall back with your attitude that just because you let your life go to shit that it's all DJing's fault... it's not.

PROTOJ

ok im an idiot. yes because i was once in the same boat as all the other idiots on this board who still think djing is a good way to make a living.

and proto you are an even bigger idiot if you think djing is the better path than going to school. LOL. GO AHEAD AND TELL PARENTS NOT TO SEND THEIR KIDS TO ELEMENTARY SCHOOL AND HAVE THEM START DJING INSTEAD. HAHA. LETS SEE HOW DUMB YOUR KIDS WILL TURN OUT TO BE.

your one friend makes 6 figs so that concludes that all djs will get that much!

WE ARE TALKING ABOUT PERCENTAGES HERE. I DONT DENY THAT SOME DJS ARE SUCCESSFUL AND MAKE A SHITLOAD OF CASH. BUT THE OVERALL MAJORITY OF DJS WILL GO NOWHERE.

look at dstyles, shortkut, raida, sinista, swift, flare, ricci rucker, apollo, vinroc, jrocc, babu, melo-d, the list goes on... any one of these cats are world recognized, own multiple dmc/battle titles, have more skills than you will never even come close to. but they all dont dj anymore because its not a good career to pursue.

WOULD YOU CALL THEM FAILURES AT THE DJ GAME? DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHO THEY ARE? PROBABLY NOT BECAUSE YOU JUST STARTED DJING WHEN YOU COPPED SERATO.

5 years from now DJING will be automated and computerized anyway. Good luck landing a GIG. HAHAH!

if you are hard headed and still think you can come up off djing then go ahead and waste your time and keep dreaming.

OTHERWISE,

STAY IN SCHOOL AND GET A REAL FUCKIN JOB.

PEACE
Proto J 6:41 AM - 13 August, 2009
who the fuck are you to tell someone what to do with their lives? if dude is making a comfortable living from DJing, taking steps to secure his future with the extra free time and money, and he's genuinely happy doing it, then that is the american fucking dream... getting a "real job" or "opening a mexican restaurant" may not be his calling yo, and it may not make him happy (and at the end of the day that's all that fucking matters, you can't take the money with you when you die, might as well enjoy your life)...

"real job"... LOL!!! i know plenty of motherfuckers with those and they hate them, can't stand knowing they coulda followed their dreams but instead ran with the guarantee... problem is, it's not even guaranteed anymore... even motherfuckers in their 50's, close to retirement, are getting laid off... the "degree to fall back on" is not for everyone. some have found entrepreneurship to be the best option. you're blind if you think "the real job" is for everyone, and you some how have one up on those without one...

hardly anybody is gonna make a name for themselves from DJing alone, but since i started DJing for a living i got more free time to learn production, and my crew and i now have our tracks getting played by dj's around the world, blogged about around the world, music for sale on itunes, amazon, beatport, etc., and if we keep pushing it eventually we'll have some breakthrough tunes that end up seeing us on tour, getting big money to dj...

one of my best friends is one half of la riots, the electro group, and he's been doing 20k a month off DJing on average... do you have any idea what i will do with that kinda cream and free time? shiiiiit, i'll be retired by 40...
Proto J 6:50 AM - 13 August, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
yeah, you're an idiot.

PROTOJ

ok im an idiot. yes because i was once in the same boat as all the other idiots on this board who still think djing is a good way to make a living.

and proto you are an even bigger idiot if you think djing is the better path than going to school. LOL. GO AHEAD AND TELL PARENTS NOT TO SEND THEIR KIDS TO ELEMENTARY SCHOOL AND HAVE THEM START DJING INSTEAD. HAHA. LETS SEE HOW DUMB YOUR KIDS WILL TURN OUT TO BE.

your one friend makes 6 figs so that concludes that all djs will get that much!

WE ARE TALKING ABOUT PERCENTAGES HERE. I DONT DENY THAT SOME DJS ARE SUCCESSFUL AND MAKE A SHITLOAD OF CASH. BUT THE OVERALL MAJORITY OF DJS WILL GO NOWHERE.

look at dstyles, shortkut, raida, sinista, swift, flare, ricci rucker, apollo, vinroc, jrocc, babu, melo-d, the list goes on... any one of these cats are world recognized, own multiple dmc/battle titles, have more skills than you will never even come close to. but they all dont dj anymore because its not a good career to pursue.

WOULD YOU CALL THEM FAILURES AT THE DJ GAME? DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHO THEY ARE? PROBABLY NOT BECAUSE YOU JUST STARTED DJING WHEN YOU COPPED SERATO.

5 years from now DJING will be automated and computerized anyway. Good luck landing a GIG. HAHAH!

if you are hard headed and still think you can come up off djing then go ahead and waste your time and keep dreaming.

OTHERWISE,

STAY IN SCHOOL AND GET A REAL FUCKIN JOB.

PEACE

you're only confirming my judgement that you are an idiot.

DJing for a living is not for everyone, but neither is anything... do what you want to do to make money, have fun, and live life... that is what the american dream is all about...

most of those dj's you listed are still DJing, you idiot. they're some of the few who made a name off DJing alone... cats like babu went on to become successful producers... do you really think he woulda had the time to perfect that craft if he went the standard route of school and work?

of course i know who they are, i started DJing in 1996 chump! but you see, that's where your problem lies, you assume too much... and you paint shit with this huge brush, but it's baseless...

you are a failure at DJing, sure, but that does not mean everyone is/will be.

now shut the fuck up!
djdragon 6:52 AM - 13 August, 2009
plz do not feed da' trollz
DJ NoNseNse 6:53 AM - 13 August, 2009
Seems like he failed because of a bad attitude. Dude had his foot in the door at a radio station and left. Bad move.
Proto J 6:54 AM - 13 August, 2009
you're also assuming that every dj is trying to do it for a living... tons of cats who post here do it for fun, a hobby, and possibly some extra cash.

so while they may go "nowhere" with it, that's not really the point, they enjoy it...

but what do you enjoy? it seems like you're lacking enjoyment in your life, you probably don't enjoy your job, you just seem like a salty, bitter motherfucker...
DJ NoNseNse 6:56 AM - 13 August, 2009
sounds like he needs a hug, a role model or sumthin
hipster 7:05 AM - 13 August, 2009
Quote:

DJing for a living is not for everyone, but neither is anything... do what you want to do to make money, have fun, and live life... that is what the american dream is all about...

most of those dj's you listed are still DJing, you idiot. they're some of the few who made a name off DJing alone... cats like babu went on to become successful producers... do you really think he woulda had the time to perfect that craft if he went the standard route of school and work?

of course i know who they are, i started DJing in 1996 chump! but you see, that's where your problem lies, you assume too much... and you paint shit with this huge brush, but it's baseless...

now shut the fuck up!

HAHA OK I GUESS IT ALL COMES DOWN TO HOW WE MEASURE SUCCESS.
YOUR STANDARDS ARENT AS HIGH AS MINE.

you think BABU is a successful producer?? LOL. I DONT.
you think selling a couple mp3's or your production is success. LOL. I DONT.
your boy is doing 20k a month from djing... we'll see how long that lasts.
you probably think Sixxx is successful. ROFL. LOL. LMAO. HAHAH. OMG.

DJING ISNT RESIDUAL INCOME.

sure its fun and its easy money as a part time gig.
im not against what you want to do in life but think of the big picture.
IM JUST WARNING YOU THAT DJING AINT GONNA TAKE YOU NOWHERE AND THATS THE REALITY.

IM NOT ASHAMED TO SAY THAT I FAILED AT DJING. I TURNED MY LIFE AROUND AND IM SUCCESSFUL AT MORE IMPORTANT THINGS IN LIFE.

PEACE
hipster 7:12 AM - 13 August, 2009
Quote:
shittin on newbies LOLOLOL

hey you were talkin about melendez right?

yep that faggot.
Proto J 7:20 AM - 13 August, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

now shut the fuck up!

HAHA OK I GUESS IT ALL COMES DOWN TO HOW WE MEASURE SUCCESS.
YOUR STANDARDS ARENT AS HIGH AS MINE.

you think BABU is a successful producer?? LOL. I DONT.
you think selling a couple mp3's or your production is success. LOL. I DONT.
your boy is doing 20k a month from djing... we'll see how long that lasts.
you probably think Sixxx is successful. ROFL. LOL. LMAO. HAHAH. OMG.

DJING ISNT RESIDUAL INCOME.

sure its fun and its easy money as a part time gig.
im not against what you want to do in life but think of the big picture.
IM JUST WARNING YOU THAT DJING AINT GONNA TAKE YOU NOWHERE AND THATS THE REALITY.

IM NOT ASHAMED TO SAY THAT I FAILED AT DJING. I TURNED MY LIFE AROUND AND IM SUCCESSFUL AT MORE IMPORTANT THINGS IN LIFE.

PEACE

i bet babu makes more money than you do.

i never said selling my mp3's is success, but it's a step towards it (the real money comes from touring off music these days, not selling it)...

he's been making stupid cream like that off DJing for about 3 years straight now... as long as they keep banging out hot tracks (they're signed to a-trak's label, fools gold) they'll keep making dough off DJing...

my point is that money and free time can make you HUGELY successful if you use it wisely... but you choose to ignore that.

i don't know anything about sixxx besides some posts on this forum, but i'd be willing to bet he's a much happier person than you are, and that is true success, that is priceless.
Proto J 7:23 AM - 13 August, 2009
and btw, me personally, DJing has taken me somewhere. aside from my happiness (from doing something i love for a living, which you don't have), i bought a house, new car, sick wardrobe, and made promising investments for my future, all off DJing...

so you're still an idiot.
hipster 7:33 AM - 13 August, 2009
Quote:
and btw, me personally, DJing has taken me somewhere. aside from my happiness (from doing something i love for a living, which you don't have), i bought a house, new car, sick wardrobe, and made promising investments for my future, all off DJing...

so you're still an idiot.

we are both idiots but the difference is i have come to realize it and have made a change for the better.

its hard to believe... but ill give you the benefit of the doubt that djing "part time" like you said paid for all that loot. ballin off of playing other peoples music - it doesnt get easier than that.

you make it seem like all djs are happy doing their job... which is false generalization. MOST DJS only dj as a means of survival cuz they arent educated and cant get any other job. they are too lazy to wake up in the morning to go to the office and work 9-5 and would rather sleep in til 2pm and go to work at 10pm. BEEN THERE DONE THAT.

i guess you can call that fun and doing what you love... hanging out at the radio station eatin fast food, rollin to the club in vip, gettin free movie passes from sponsors. well if you define that to be happiness then by all means.

AND TRUST ME I MAKE MORE THAN BABU.

PEACE
Proto J 8:02 AM - 13 August, 2009
i haven't worked another job in 2 years, it's been DJing full time that paid for all of that. however, 20 - 30 hours a week isn't really full time (which leaves me dumb amounts of time to find clever ways to turn all my extra money into waaaaay more money)...

i'd dare to say that more dj's are happier doing their jobs than people working 9-5's... most everyone i know who works a 9-5 HATES their jobs (which is somewhere they spend most of their lives, so they are generally unhappy people)...

furthermore, like i said b4, they (and you) don't get anything from their jobs except monetary gains. meanwhile, along with excellent pay i get tons of inspiration from the music i play (i got a few gigs where i play mostly music i love, not forced to play anything i don't want to), and countless hours of practice in doing something i thoroughly enjoy.

happiness to a lot of people is doing something you love to make a living.

so you are fundamentally wrong for saying that your way is better (especially considering you don't really enjoy your job, which is why i'd say your way is not better at all)...
Dj Shamann 8:04 AM - 13 August, 2009
Hipster I'm reading your opening post and while there is reality in the fact that not everyone is going to make it in this biz, the whole time I'm thinking, but your situation is your fault. You're talking about smoking weed, skipping class.. dude, that's not Djing's fault, that's something in you.

Have I been there? Yes, so I'm not saying I'm above you, but I recognize where the problem lies.

When I was younger I was offered a few roles on TV (and took them) based on the strength of my Djing alone, which lead to other opportunities and so on. But I got lazy. Started partying with other high profile artists, B list celebs and other waste cases, pissing away G's a week thinking everything was going to be handed to me and it damn well should be because I'm me. Fat fucking chance, the high profile gigs stopped coming through, then even the decent gigs stopped coming through and it's all because I didn't feel like I had to work for them anymore. Finally I got to the point where I had fuck all, life sucks and all I wanted to do is get drunk.

I finally snapped out of it, managed to go back to college, get a degree, start working on my business disicipline and it was a journey back and I'm still on that road but there are more opportunities for me now because I see things more clearly.

Each person is different, but no matter how skilled you are if you are not focused (and some of these new generation cats are) then you're not going to go anywhere regardless and you have noone to blame but yourself. It sucks that it didn't work out for you, shit happens and I had my own troubles, but based on what i just said about focus it might work out great for somebody else.
DjWoody 8:12 AM - 13 August, 2009
I skipped all the messages, so pardon me if I repeat some stuff...

I've been DJing since high school. And you know what, I wouldn't change a damn thing. Actually, I take that back. I would, I wish I would've taken this game more seriously a long time ago. I wish I would've stopped procastinating a long time ago. I LOVE THIS GAME! The rush I get when I get on stage and there's several hundred people in front of me waiting anxiously for my set is unreal. I can't even describe the feeling.

I'm 29 now, about to hit 30. In all truth, I never made money until just recently. And now, I can say that I pretty much make the same amount of money DJ'ing than I do on my full time job. And I know that's not where I wanna stop. I wanna go even further, I wanna take it to the next level. That's why I started taking production courses. I been spending mad money & countless hours on getting my shit straight and I think I'll get there. I'm in no hurry.

To me, DJ'ing isn't about being famous. It's about something I've always loved... The art of and making others happy through my music! Yes, there's a certain style I love the most, but I'm pretty open minded and play pretty much anything as long as the crowd is happy.

Music is my love, it runs through my veins and I wouldn't give up for anything!
Gor 8:22 AM - 13 August, 2009
word
DJDaveOtt 8:27 AM - 13 August, 2009
Quote:
when you are almost 25 and still livin at home, jobless, no girlfriend, fat and unhealthy, life isnt exactly great. ...

sounds like u got some issues bro...get your act together
Quote:

i realized that my life was a mess

sounds like it still is...but at least u realized it i guess
Quote:
i GUARANTEE that i make more money than anyone on this board.

lmfao...no, you dont. really. not close...
Quote:
djing is SHITTY money

not for us guys that are good...
Quote:

didnt know u were a psychic...thanks for the tip

ok, so u dont wanna dj...
then get the hell outta here and quit wasting our time...

hipster's profile:
Display Name: hipster
Last Profile Update: 26 May 2009

glad you stuck it out for soooo long! LOL

and who are you to jump people's shit and slam them???
looks to me like u wouldnt be successful at ANYTHING you do
not with your shitty attitude....

and who gives a fuck what ninos does or how old he is?? i sure dont
i think he acts more mature than YOU

u can quote this and try and flame me, but im not coming back to ur pity party. i have wasted "COUNTLESS HOURS" as u would say (LOL) on this shit
SuckaDJ 8:28 AM - 13 August, 2009
waking up tomorrow to a lot more replies (especially from sixxx) lol

good read though (thread is inspirational)

note to self* quit smokin trees jk
SuckaDJ 8:30 AM - 13 August, 2009
ott's a tool
SuckaDJ 8:31 AM - 13 August, 2009
bet you he's going to come back and reply
SuckaDJ 8:31 AM - 13 August, 2009
i'm sorry my little ninos
PapiCholo 8:32 AM - 13 August, 2009
Yo Hipster I got a question for you.................
If you quit spinnin 5 years ago then why the hell are you even wasting your time on a Dj forum anyway? If you know Sixxx's name then it obviously means you do keep up wit what's goin on around here. Sounds like you're just bitter that you failed at something you used to love. Ask Silky Johnson for a ticket to the 2009 Player Haters Ball. I'm sure you'll win 1st place. Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
SuckaDJ 8:33 AM - 13 August, 2009
Quote:
Ask Silky Johnson for a ticket to the 2009 Player Haters Ball.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
hipster 8:39 AM - 13 August, 2009
Quote:
Yo Hipster I got a question for you.................
If you quit spinnin 5 years ago then why the hell are you even wasting your time on a Dj forum anyway? If you know Sixxx's name then it obviously means you do keep up wit what's goin on around here. Sounds like you're just bitter that you failed at something you used to love. Ask Silky Johnson for a ticket to the 2009 Player Haters Ball. I'm sure you'll win 1st place. Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

IM A VETERAN OF THE GAME SO IM HERE TO EDUCATE THE YOUNGN'S so they dont make the same mistakes that i did. kinda like a testimonial from an ex-convict or ex-drug addict.

I'm callin out Sixxx cuz he was here when the serato boards first came out almost 5 YEARS AGO and its NOW 2009 and NOTHING HAS CHANGED FOR HIM. he still logs onto the boards every day waiting for somebody to magically offer him a gig of a lifetime.
hipster 9:00 AM - 13 August, 2009
Dave,

This will be the ONLY time I will say something to you because
a) you are a small town dj
b) who has no skills and plays mashups all night
c) uses a denon CD player
d) and your myspace page just crashed my firefox.

I'm sure you consider yourself good because noone else in your SMALL town djs. you are THE MAN. big fish kahuna in the small pond. Everybody loves DJ DaveOtt! Is that why you havent moved into the big city to further pursue a djing career? have you gotten any real gigs outside of your area? hmm.

Like you said "us guys that are good" make good money.

so how much do you make off djing?

im sure its a decent amount considering that you do live in a state where minimum wage is significantly less that over here in Cali.
we got illegal amigos working the restaurants here that probably get the same hourly wage as average US citizens working the retail stores over in that side of the country.

so im sure whatever 2 hundred bucks you make per gig is alot of cash for you. over here i cant even buy a bottle of blue label for $200 so our standards are definitely not on the same level.

Dont ever talk to me again.

PEACE
mic 9:02 AM - 13 August, 2009
You're just mad cuz you're fat...
Serato, Support
ChrisD 9:19 AM - 13 August, 2009
This is quite possibly the most depressing load of bollocks I've ever read on this forum, and that's quite an achievement. It's got it all: a perennial troll, a bunch of regulars who take the bait, and the inevitable descending into a pissing contest.

hipster, how many bans are you at now? Six? Seven? It's funny that you call others out for spending so much time on these forums given that you're evidently incapable of staying away yourself.

Reading this kind of crap makes me wonder why we bother giving you guys the opportunity to spout such nonsense. I'm embarassed to see the Serato name associated with a discussion like this.
hipster 9:24 AM - 13 August, 2009
Quote:
This is quite possibly the most depressing load of bollocks I've ever read on this forum, and that's quite an achievement. It's got it all: a perennial troll, a bunch of regulars who take the bait, and the inevitable descending into a pissing contest.

hipster, how many bans are you at now? Six? Seven? It's funny that you call others out for spending so much time on these forums given that you're evidently incapable of staying away yourself.

Reading this kind of crap makes me wonder why we bother giving you guys the opportunity to spout such nonsense. I'm embarassed to see the Serato name associated with a discussion like this.

Please explain how this is bollocks! Aside from the dissing and idiot calling I have cited real life examples of how I failed at djing. As far as i'm concerned this is a serious discussion and people will learn from my mistakes.
Serato, Support
ChrisD 9:48 AM - 13 August, 2009
hipster,

You've been banned multiple times, you always have to have the final say and you post deliberately inflammatory comments. That makes you a troll.

You assume people are motivated by the same things as you, and you boast about how much money you make. That makes you a narcissist.

You have an incredibly narrow minded concept of success. This makes you destined for an unfulfilling life.

Bollocks enough for you? And what do you mean by this:

Quote:
Aside from the dissing and idiot calling...

Aside? That's precisely the kind of thing I'm talking about. It saddens me that a number of people who have been around these forums for years so readily engage in such inane conversations.

I see a Serato logo at the top of the page and I cringe.
Halfrikan 10:02 AM - 13 August, 2009
I think a lot of people would take those down ass friends you mentioned over your income. Life value is not defined as an income. Also if you search the boards and look for posts about people asking if they should DJ fulltime most everyone on the forums says don't do it.

You forget to realize that those 5 bum ass years you had help shaped you into the douche that you are today. whether you like it or not you would not be the same idiot today if it wasnt for the idiot you were 5 years ago.

Also Am has posted on this forum and he more then likely makes more then you as well.

There is money at the top of any career, and at the bottom of most careers there is garbage.

Lastly look up the median income of an Air Traffic Controller and then tell me i'm dumb for playing some clubs here and there because i think its fun.

Good luck with life maybe one day 5 years from now you'll wake up and decided that you have been a slave to the internet and move to Tibet and call all Amereicans idiots too.
hipster 10:22 AM - 13 August, 2009
Chris,

How do you know that I have been banned multiple times? I know you're the moderator and all, but you might be confusing me with other characters of this board. I registered this name a couple months ago but I haven't been on this forum for at least a couple years prior to that. Lets just not assume that I am responsible for other "trolls" that have come and go. I am not a troll - I have come to voice out my thoughts about DJing and this is a DJing discussion forum.

Quote:
You assume people are motivated by the same things as you, and you boast about much money you make. That makes you a narcissist.

You have an incredibly narrow minded concept of success. This makes you destined for an unfulfilling life.

Like I previously stated, we all measure success to different degrees. I set the bar high for myself and failed, even though i've had a better dj career than the average sucker. While I may seem boastful, narcisstic, arrogant, idiotic, full of shit, whatever negativity you guys may describe me to be as, I am neither any of those. For one, I used to be a dj and can still rock the decks harder than the average cat. I am credible enough to say that I lived the dj life for over a decade.

So don't label me as an outsider troll because I do know how it feels to be a DJ and experienced every emotion that "US" djs go through whether its the pre-gig nerves, having your needle skip at a dj battle, or gettin stiffed by shady promoters. I'VE BEEN THERE AND DONE THAT.

The bottom line is that I was once naive - But now i'm not anymore.

This isnt a diss to dj's using Serato, CDJ's, or Ableton Live. Its much bigger than that. We are talking about my life here and djing was responsible for leading me astray. Do i love hip hop? Yes I do! But if i were to go back in time and given the choice, would I learn to DJ again? NO WAY!

PEACE
Serato, Support
ChrisD 10:34 AM - 13 August, 2009
Are you telling me that you've never had other user accounts that have been banned from this forum?

Why do you have a different account now than the one you used "a couple years prior to that"?
geeunot 11:24 AM - 13 August, 2009
whats up w/ jose melendez? haha what did he do to u? just curious. very funny thread.
Maskrider 11:44 AM - 13 August, 2009
lol
lvmez 11:45 AM - 13 August, 2009
where is sixxx at?
djdragon 12:52 PM - 13 August, 2009
Quote:
Are you telling me that you've never had other user accounts that have been banned from this forum?

Why do you have a different account now than the one you used "a couple years prior to that"?

Wow is it back to school already LOL
djaction 1:32 PM - 13 August, 2009
High bar of success != making lots of money

You can have tons of money, tons of "things" and be a miserable fuck. I'd rather have less money and be happy.

That being said, I have a full time IT job with great pay+benefits, a 3-night DJ gig that pays salary, and I'm back in college taking classes. I couldn't fathom quitting DJ'ing. It's great pay and it makes me HAPPY.
djaction 1:41 PM - 13 August, 2009
but yes.. making DJ a life-long CAREER requries a lot of talent and luck and for 99% of us it aint happening
Audio1 1:57 PM - 13 August, 2009
what was your DJ name in San Francisco, hipster?
Audio1 2:04 PM - 13 August, 2009
Quote:
I skipped all the messages, so pardon me if I repeat some stuff...

I've been DJing since high school. And you know what, I wouldn't change a damn thing. Actually, I take that back. I would, I wish I would've taken this game more seriously a long time ago. I wish I would've stopped procastinating a long time ago. I LOVE THIS GAME! The rush I get when I get on stage and there's several hundred people in front of me waiting anxiously for my set is unreal. I can't even describe the feeling.

I'm 29 now, about to hit 30. In all truth, I never made money until just recently. And now, I can say that I pretty much make the same amount of money DJ'ing than I do on my full time job. And I know that's not where I wanna stop. I wanna go even further, I wanna take it to the next level. That's why I started taking production courses. I been spending mad money & countless hours on getting my shit straight and I think I'll get there. I'm in no hurry.

To me, DJ'ing isn't about being famous. It's about something I've always loved... The art of and making others happy through my music! Yes, there's a certain style I love the most, but I'm pretty open minded and play pretty much anything as long as the crowd is happy.

Music is my love, it runs through my veins and I wouldn't give up for anything!
Pretty much everything DJ Woody wrote on this post applies to me.

I personally love DJing tho in reality, I know I can fall back at anytime if there was no DJ work. I have degrees in Computer Engineering and Telecommunications. I still work a 9 to 5 job in Aviation Technology. Its all about your drive and passion. Some of us have it, Some of us dont. I know I wake up at 6am, everyday of my life, cept Sundays since Im coming in from my residency at 5am. I only sleep til 10am. I try to make the most out of everyday. DJing means alot to me, but spending time with my wife and family is even more important these days.
DTweed 2:21 PM - 13 August, 2009
Tell em why you mad son tell em why you mad.

Hipster - I feel you on what your saying but that path is not everyone's some people do make it and you should never limit yourself. Your only down fall was that you didnt have a back up plan to fall back on.

I worked in the music industry from 1997-2002 and I was on Tour and traveled but in between the traveling and partying I got my degree. I would fly out go to the shows and fly back to make sure I didnt miss class. End of the day I got my degree and when the record company was laying everyone off I was already out the door because I was executing my plan that i been working on 5 years earlier.

Today I do advertising and still DJ on the side. I do mobile gigs as well as guest apperance at lounges and use the money I make DJ'ing to invest in stocks. so DJ'ing is a great gig part time or full time you just need to know where you really want to go with it.
DTweed 2:22 PM - 13 August, 2009
FYI - I still wake up every morning at 6am to practice DJ'ing and work on my mixes. I dont think its a waste of my time I love DJ'ing and want to advance my skills and would never regret it.
DeezNotes 2:29 PM - 13 August, 2009
Derogatory comments aside, the first post was a good read. I personally think its good to hear the ups and downs of a DJs life (primarily one that's been doing it for more than 10 years). I may not agree with everything he said, but I understand. Hipster is entitled to his opinions and if you look past the opinionated stuff, its a good story of a DJ who's been through some things.
dirtbag filthy 2:40 PM - 13 August, 2009
ya whole style is chump
sixxx 2:42 PM - 13 August, 2009
Quote:

I agree. And, all I have to say is...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I'm not takin' the bait. I never did. :) I can spot trolls a mile a way. hahahahahaha
bourbonstmc 3:02 PM - 13 August, 2009
Too many wordings.

Quote:
ok im an idiot.

[/thread]
BERTO 3:43 PM - 13 August, 2009
i suppose everyone is entitled to their opinion, yea djing didnt turn out for him, but how many people does it turn out good for? yea there are tons of great famous Djs and even more that arent, but its ok to strive for greatness doing something you love even if you dont succeed, telling people to straight up quit before its too late went a bit too far, Im sure the intelligence in this forum is high enough that people know their abilities to be able to know if they are going to be great or not, circumstance is the greatest variable and fortunately we all have different ones, and to go ahead and call out sixx was a bit low, maybe he will get that great gig maybe he wont but dont shoot people down like that hipster it doesnt make your point valid if you say words of knowledge and then call someone out on it.
Mike_P 4:17 PM - 13 August, 2009
although the original poster clearly started this thread to stir up shit, it has me thinking. i've been djing for a living since 98. solely. i am now married with a son and we are planning for another. i really havent done anything but dj my entire adult life. i have no special skills or training (other than being able to rock a crowd) and i am worried about my families future. i know that i can't do this in my old age and i need to start seriously thinking of how i will support my family in my elder years. as it is now we are comfortable...we live in a nice house (rented) in a nice neighborhood, have two cars and i have two motorcycles, we have our luxuries but i never make enough to save. this is what really worries me. i think it is time to start working on the backup plan.
AMF 4:18 PM - 13 August, 2009
See, this all comes down to:

What were you expecting from the DJ game?

Most of us are realistic about it. We want enough cash so we never have to goto the ATM again in our life (while working a 9 to 5). And to get good (or great) gigs in the best clubs, halls or whatever. And we are doing it. So in my opinion this equals success.

Hipster, it sounds to me like you were expecting to become the 2nd coming of Bill Gates. So in that case you did fail. If you were irresponsible and skipped class (from hangovers most likely) and didn't have a job... It sounds to me like you f**ked the situation up yourself. Hell, I would be bitter too.

I'm willing to bet $$$$ that if you were disciplined, went to school, and stayed away from the ills of nightlife, you wouldn't be pissed. You'd be telling us how dumb we are for not getting those $2000 wedding receptions and spinning at the club for $1000 per night.... while living in a potato field in Idaho.
AMF 4:25 PM - 13 August, 2009
Quote:
although the original poster clearly started this thread to stir up shit, it has me thinking. i've been djing for a living since 98. solely. i am now married with a son and we are planning for another. i really havent done anything but dj my entire adult life. i have no special skills or training (other than being able to rock a crowd) and i am worried about my families future. i know that i can't do this in my old age and i need to start seriously thinking of how i will support my family in my elder years. as it is now we are comfortable...we live in a nice house (rented) in a nice neighborhood, have two cars and i have two motorcycles, we have our luxuries but i never make enough to save. this is what really worries me. i think it is time to start working on the backup plan.

Mike_P, I think people can DJ for as long as they want. It's some DJs that are d*mn near 50 years old still killin' s**t. But everything does come to an end at some point. Even if you worked a corporate job, you should plan for the next step because one day even that job will end. There is no such thing as "this can go on forever".

So we all should be planning for the next phase of our lives.... except for me. Cuz I'm gonna be spinning forever. =P
Mixman 4:29 PM - 13 August, 2009
Hum! Interresting...

Let me see, i started djing when I was 18, I had to quit few later because of WAR, Money, Illness, change countries, you name it. Then I had a choice to start DJing again or go to school and secure a career.

Hum tough one (NOT), I hate work and love djing but still I needed to responsible toward myself so I chose career. 15 years later I decided to take my Tables outa retirement (yes I kept them well wrapped all somewhere safe of these years) and now I can enjoy being a dj, even if I didn't get a single gig yet, even I did it for myself in my basement but still I am glad I secured my career first. Now I can enjoy my Tables and hope that I would get some extra. The keyword here is, RESPONSIBILITY. Plain and simple….
SuckaDJ 4:53 PM - 13 August, 2009
Quote:
There is no such thing as "this can go on forever".

So we all should be planning for the next phase of our lives.... except for me. Cuz I'm gonna be spinning forever. =P

What about love? lol
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:06 PM - 13 August, 2009
Internal marketing Internet adds and stay at home sales huh......dude your involved in one those sell groceries out of your house pyramid schemes aren't ya, you seem like the kinda guy those "you can be a millionaire working from your home" books are written for and I bet you got at least one on cassette for the car lol.... Yall leave this cat alone look at both threads hes started dudes just looking to stir up some shit mess up some peoples days either cause he's salty bout his own situation or because he just gets off on it either way addressing him and making sence isn't going to help the situation if yall wanna discuss it cool but don't fall into his trap by arguing at him

PS..chris isn't he going to at least get a warning for using the word faggot or does the fact the he's a very obviously repressed closset case get him a pass? Lol couldn't help myself
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:07 PM - 13 August, 2009
Ps sto sending Viagra and match.com adds to my email no means no!!!
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:10 PM - 13 August, 2009
Oh and since I'm already in here IBTL
AMF 5:10 PM - 13 August, 2009
lol!!!!!!!!!!!!
tehBEN 5:17 PM - 13 August, 2009
Quote:
now i GUARANTEE that i make more money than anyone on this board.

Can you post a scan of your last check/ direct deposit slip and bank account number so we can verify it? thanks.
bourbonstmc 5:36 PM - 13 August, 2009
Quote:

You know DJ AM is on here sometimes, right? And Feniks is a doctor...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:38 PM - 13 August, 2009
Quote:
Derogatory comments aside, the first post was a good read. I personally think its good to hear the ups and downs of a DJs life (primarily one that's been doing it for more than 10 years). I may not agree with everything he said, but I understand. Hipster is entitled to his opinions and if you look past the opinionated stuff, its a good story of a DJ who's been through some things.

Awww man, I was just thinking this. First I thought he was just a troll, but again, reading with filters on, you can see dude has hit rock bottom, and in some Extreme way is trying to bring a message. However, the message is delivered the wrong way.

There was a time when I was doing the same thing. Graduated from HS, no real college plans, just following the crowd. Then my DJ career took off BECAUSE I WAS in college.

Weds - Sun NON STOP.

We were the hottest College DJ group in the NY/NJ area. Saw how I personally influenced other DJ cats who brought what we did to OTHER colleges, and they made names for themselves.

I was paying off ALL my bills...CASH.

Buying new cars, with remote starters....first kid on the block.

I was making more money DJ'ing than my JOB.

My father HATED that. He always said I needed a REGULAR 9-5, and work 40 hours a week. I hated those hours, so I worked 9-5 Mon - Weds, and 9-1 Thurs - Sun. He couldn't stand it, made me pay RENT, and got mad when I DID....LOL.

Long story short, I should have focused MORE in college so I could have something to fall back on.

Now I've got MAD work experience in I.T. so that balances out the college thing, but you HAVE to keep yourself focused, because we are NOT all going to become the DJ we DREAM we would become.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:41 PM - 13 August, 2009
One thing I noticed, is that he said he would take a "toke". Drugs are bad. I never fell into that realm, and a LOT of my friends smoked. You REALLY have to stay focused.
CMOS 5:49 PM - 13 August, 2009
You mean the women, the fame, the money, the power, the celebrity was all a farce?

Fuck this im out. Anyone wanna buy some techs.

lmao what a tool.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:55 PM - 13 August, 2009
Quote:
You mean the women, the fame, the money, the power, the celebrity was all a farce?

Women = Sasha
Fame = CMOS had Sasha in his clutches.
Money = ***debatable****
Power = CMOS had Sasha in his clutches.
Celebrity = CMOS had a back view of Sasha in his crib.

I'd say you made out...
The 357 Kid 5:57 PM - 13 August, 2009
I'd like to take this opportunity to shout my people!!!
Queens stand the F' up!!!

Shout to DJ C-Lo, DJ Camilo, Enuff and all the heavy hitters.
Shout to all NYC promotion teams doing it big! (no homo)

Anyone in NYC lookin to link up and do a one off, get at me!
I got spots!!! I got promoters!!! I got plenty money!!!

Turntables only!

Shout to myself...
if you dj'd and quit, thank you. More room for me. You probably suck. In fact, you're a failure.

Lets get back to business...

shout to all the ladies in NYC...QUEENS, NYC STAND UP!

The 357 Kid aka The A.G. of this right here!
CMOS 5:58 PM - 13 August, 2009
1 chick? i was told id get tons of chicks, 25lb bags of money, endless stashes of cocaine.

Is this not true, i swear im bout to sell all my shit and advertise on the net from home. lol
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:59 PM - 13 August, 2009
Lol dude CMOS is like your hero isn't he lol
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:01 PM - 13 August, 2009
Quote:
Lol dude CMOS is like your hero isn't he lol

U have NO idea.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:01 PM - 13 August, 2009
And he claims to be a wavie....

Intrusting.
CMOS 6:02 PM - 13 August, 2009
hahahah. Id trade the chick for the DJ skills of JM. (sorry if your readin this sash but skills is skills)
CMOS 6:03 PM - 13 August, 2009
Quote:
And he claims to be a wavie....

Intrusting.

Ima do my next stickam set with no headphones, show yall how a real wavie does it. lol
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:04 PM - 13 August, 2009
I don't see how hipster can say he didnt make any moneyi mean he probably made a grip doin those skits on maybes first album.....that was him right
tehBEN 6:05 PM - 13 August, 2009
Quote:
I don't see how hipster can say he didnt make any moneyi mean he probably made a grip doin those skits on maybes first album.....that was him right

he started the 50 dollar and below DJ movement on craigslist!
CMOS 6:06 PM - 13 August, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

he started the 50 dollar and below DJ movement on craigslist!

His name is hipster, how much can you make off of free entry and cans of PBR?
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:06 PM - 13 August, 2009
Lol posed to say kaynes first album damn iPhone spell checker
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:15 PM - 13 August, 2009
Rotfl !!!!That may be the real problem I'd be salty too if I walked around all day in tightfit jeans 2 sizes too small
sixxx 6:17 PM - 13 August, 2009
Quote:
Awww man, I was just thinking this. First I thought he was just a troll, but again, reading with filters on, you can see dude has hit rock bottom, and in some Extreme way is trying to bring a message. However, the message is delivered the wrong way.

Nah. It's definitely a troll. Don't get it twisted.

Hipster... here, get to know me better since you automatically think you know people online by what you read on a message board.

Quote:
SIXXX you are the perfect example of somebody who has been in the game for so long and have jack shit to show for it.

Obviously, he doesn't know me well except for the posts he reads on a message board. Then he says:
Quote:
thats why you are on these boards 24/7 tryin to shit on newbies to make yourself feel better as a dj.

Which is indeed extra funny because I'm NOT on the board 24/7 - I log in from my cell most of the time - and I don't shit on newbies but rather help them. But he says I shit on newbies to make myself feel better? He just shit on me to make himself feel better. The irony is exceptional. hahahahaha

Then he goes on to say:

Quote:
you djed for a bunch of low budget stations and opened up sets for a bunch of artists but i bet you didnt get paid. BEEN THERE DONE THAT.

Ha! The only radio station I didn't get paid for was the college station and it was the best station I "worked" for... for the love of music and my passion for underground hip hop because that's mostly what I played there. :) And, yes, I have opened up for artists but got paid. :)

Then, he goes... and this one is funny to me because obviously he knows nothing about who I am and what I represent - so I will enlighten him and answer the question

Quote:
what exactly are your goals as a dj? i dont deny that you have some skills and can rock a club but so the fuck what? you gettin old bro. if you havent made a name for yourself yet, chances are you WONT.

When I started, I had no goals as a DJ. DJ's friend of mine were rockin' parties and I liked what they did. Not the parties mind you, but mixing and having fun. So, I got turntables and practiced in my room until I got good. Then, it occurred to my friend and I that we could be making money doing Weddings and such. So we did. But never straying from the original thought of doin' this for the love. Goals? My goals change from time to time.

1. I wanted to DJ at a radio station. - Accomplished and may return to radio if stops being wack.
2. I wanted to rub elbows with celebrities/artists. - Accomplished.
3. I wanted to open up at concerts/shows - Accomplished.
4. I wanted to rock dope hip hop shows. - Accomplished and still doin' it.
5. I wanted to rock clubs. - Accomplished and still doin' it.
6. I wanted to start my own business. - Accomplished.

All this while havin' one of the best jobs ever for over 12 years workin' 20 hours a week on salary with benefits which has left me plenty of time to do all of the above, own a home and now raise 2 awesome kids AND still have time to do all of the above.

So, this is intensely funny!!!!!

ITS TIME YOU WAKE THE FUCK UP, MAKE A CAREER CHECK AND WORRY ABOUT HOW YOU GONNA RAISE A FAMILY WHILE FIGHTING FOR SHITTY LEFTOVER GIGS WITH 21 YEAR OLD DJS.

Dude, I'll be 36 this year and still rockin' clubs doin' the ONLY video gig in town. You tell me where my competition is cause I always have left them behind. hahahaha

and the ice cream on the cake is this part.....

Quote:
OH BUT YOU DONT HAVE A BACK UP PLAN. YOU DONT HAVE A DEGREE TO FALL BACK ON. I UNDERSTAND YOU DONT KNOW SHIT ABOUT BUSINESS AND HAVE NO OTHER REAL LIFE SKILLS TO GET YOURSELF A REAL JOB.

Really? hahahaha. You obviously don't know anything about me except what you read on a message board from time to time.

So, you see? A troll. Mad at the world and mad at the fact that DJing didn't work for him. And for me? Did it work? You tell me. Even my wife DJ's and I bet that probably will make him jealous the most out of all this.
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:18 PM - 13 August, 2009
He ain't tellin me anything new anyway you'll probably here me spin half hearted cause I don't like djing anyway I'm just tryin to get my Porno career started
sixxx 6:37 PM - 13 August, 2009
Oh, and hipster.... the only message worth giving is all here:

Quote:
keepin it real here for the young cats that think djing is easy money and that it will make a successful career.

and it's wrong. DJing is, in fact, easy money to those who know how. Not all DJ's will make a career out of it. That is true, but that doesn't mean that you can't get the money you invested on DJing back times and times over.

-------

Here's my real message to young and old DJ's alike

Do it for the love but don't forget to get paid when you need to. See EVERYTHING as an investment. Every piece of equipment you buy. Every record pool you join. Every hour you spend organizing your video/music library but, remember that every investment should see a return in capital so always keep that in mind when spending your money.

Make your money wisely. Spend it more wisely and above all:

Work hard. Play harder. Enjoy life and don't let anyone (hi hipster) try to put you down because they failed in their lack of accomplishments.
AMF 6:41 PM - 13 August, 2009
Good sound advice. Again.
tehBEN 6:54 PM - 13 August, 2009
Sixxx 10, Hipster 0
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:55 PM - 13 August, 2009
You have to give Hipster SOMETHING for pouring his heart out...
tehBEN 6:56 PM - 13 August, 2009
Quote:

here's a razor.
DJMark 6:59 PM - 13 August, 2009
Quote:

For all we know, the entire post was fiction.

He used to do a lot of that when he was "Chirpflare".
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:17 PM - 13 August, 2009
I dout the whole thing was fiction the single fat broke living in his moms house sounds right on the money
FunkyRob 7:19 PM - 13 August, 2009
So please tell us how to make millions on this internet thing
CMOS 7:23 PM - 13 August, 2009
He will tell you, just buy this book that explains everything you need to know for just $13.95
panic_1 7:25 PM - 13 August, 2009
If you want to give advice keep it to your self, the dj for sole income topic has come up multiple times. So has the college thing sounds like you lacked what it took to finish or didn’t realize that priorities come first, I guess you got a rude awakening when you were that guy everyone makes fun of still living and leeching off your parents. So don’t think that everyone on here is trying to get rich or famous off of this shit many like my self do it as a hobby and get paid for it along with having a full time job. You are the guy I love talking to as a Marine Corps recruiter 25+ still living @ home with mommy but think you have a good thing going internet marketing or whatever you want to say you do to make your self feel good.

PEACE
Dj Expert 8:34 PM - 13 August, 2009
WTF (Why The Fuck) did I read this????
agentorange 8:38 PM - 13 August, 2009
damn you guys are overly sensitive. if the hipster wants to rant, let him. you guys just all got played by the hipster.

...that was his whole premise to begin with. to f*ck with you tardos. hahahahah.

sheesh. so much time spent on replies. you should be out practicing or making money!!!

dun dun duuuunnn!!!!!
agentorange 8:38 PM - 13 August, 2009
Quote:
WTF (Why The Fuck) did I read this????

dually noted.

sooooo stuuuuppiddddd.
sixxx 8:39 PM - 13 August, 2009
I'm editing videos.... when I'm "on" the message board, I'm ALWAYS productive. :)
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:41 PM - 13 August, 2009
I thought it was quality reading myself....
djatrain@hotmail.com 9:13 PM - 13 August, 2009
This post is hot to def yo son.................Outiee 500!!!!!
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:30 PM - 13 August, 2009
Quote:
damn you guys are overly sensitive. if the hipster wants to rant, let him. you guys just all got played by the hipster.

...that was his whole premise to begin with. to f*ck with you tardos. hahahahah.

sheesh. so much time spent on replies. you should be out practicing or making money!!!

dun dun duuuunnn!!!!!

I was at my 9 to 5 while posting my responces so I was making money posting them chaching. Lol
tehBEN 10:01 PM - 13 August, 2009
He still needs to post his bank account so I can verify that he makes more money than me ;P
DJ GaFFle 10:03 PM - 13 August, 2009
Quote:
ya whole style is chump

LOL !
Quote:
Ima do my next stickam set with no headphones, show yall how a real wavie does it. lol

LOL x 2 !!

I'd love to see a Chirpflare vs. Hipster thread battle... that would be epic.
DJ GaFFle 10:05 PM - 13 August, 2009
Quote:
d) and your myspace page just crashed my firefox.

That's why I hate myspace... they allow to much flash and BS on people's pages.
DJ GaFFle 10:05 PM - 13 August, 2009
to=too
tehBEN 10:15 PM - 13 August, 2009
LOL
Serato, Support
ChrisD 10:32 PM - 13 August, 2009
Quote:
Hipster is entitled to his opinions

Absolutely true. And if he'd stuck to that then this could have been an interesting discussion.

But coming to a forum that is frequented primarily by DJs and you saying "QUIT DJING BEFORE ITS TOO LATE" (the all caps are his, not mine) along with words to the effect of "I'm doing better than you guys" is quintessential trolling.

The only logical conclusion to draw is that he sees other people discussing something that was once an exciting and important part of his life and part of him wishes he was still doing it.

That's a perfectly understandable feeling but I'm unimpressed by the way he expressed it. Is he trying to convince us that he made the right decision to quit DJing or is he trying to convince himself?

I neither know nor care, I just wish this type of discussion happened elsewhere rather than polluting the generally high quality of discourse that takes place on these forums.
geeunot 10:40 PM - 13 August, 2009
Yeah guys, don't quit djing or rane will not get our money anymore when then EmpathSL comes out haha
Mike_P 11:30 PM - 13 August, 2009
Quote:
generally high quality of discourse that takes place on these forums.

AHAHAHAHAHA! oh sorry...don't know what got into me. ;)
The 357 Kid 11:32 PM - 13 August, 2009
How does everyone feel about Plies new song "Plenty Money"
Dj-M.Bezzle 11:35 PM - 13 August, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
Hipster is entitled to his opinions

Absolutely true. And if he'd stuck to that then this could have been an interesting discussion.

But coming to a forum that is frequented primarily by DJs and you saying "QUIT DJING BEFORE ITS TOO LATE" (the all caps are his, not mine) along with words to the effect of "I'm doing better than you guys" is quintessential trolling.

The only logical conclusion to draw is that he sees other people discussing something that was once an exciting and important part of his life and part of him wishes he was still doing it.

That's a perfectly understandable feeling but I'm unimpressed by the way he expressed it. Is he trying to convince us that he made the right decision to quit DJing or is he trying to convince himself?

I neither know nor care, I just wish this type of discussion happened elsewhere rather than polluting the generally high quality of intercourse that takes place on these forums.

I completley agree it's a travisty
lvmez 11:59 PM - 13 August, 2009
first off, where's hipster after all these replies. he seems to have it in for sixxx. why don't they battle. i know sixxx has nothing to prove but why not. i'd like to see it. not only is hipster telling everyone he is making more money than everyone., he is questioning members skillz.
Dj-M.Bezzle 12:03 AM - 14 August, 2009
It sounds like whoever this guy is he has a deep resentment for this forum and sixxx on paticular....wait ....Tony is that you !?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:15 AM - 14 August, 2009
Quote:
the generally high quality of discourse that takes place on these forums.

You must be new...
Dj MacMillz 1:46 AM - 14 August, 2009
So................. he failed/didn't make it as a Dj, so he bashes it? So we all should bash basketball because none of us are in the NBA?
SuckaDJ 2:18 AM - 14 August, 2009
lol that's different
hipster 2:23 AM - 14 August, 2009
Quote:
first off, where's hipster after all these replies.

I woke up at 8am, did the kenpo dvd of p90x, checked some emails (seeing how much i earned while i was sleeping), met sabrina at stacks to grab brunch, checked out huf across the street for new releases, then drove over to Harding Park for a round of golf. I shot 7 over which isnt bad considering the greens were due for a trim.

that my friends is what i did at the first half of today. so for those of you think im miserable, bitter, and just mad at the world, how could i be?

Back to the original message...

For those who see my point, i'm glad you guys realize that you do need a career backup and that djing is just a hobby.

I don't know sixxx personally but all i know is that when im 36 years old i wouldnt wanna be depending on junior proms and weddings to get my paycheck. Come on fellas. There's a reason why parents never approved of your djing to begin with. Its because it is a DISTRACTION and takes away focus from the more important things in life. I dont agree that some of you are responsible enough to balance life, school, work with djing - props to you. But like I've been saying, we are talking percentages here and the average person isnt born responsible, arent multi-taskers, nor plan for their future.

Like I said, my point wasnt meant to offend dj's in general. I sympathize of your stubbornness because 10 years ago I would've been the first to knock a nigga out that talked shit. But as the redeemer of djs, I have to be mentally strong and spread the truth no matter what the consequences.

Its not easy,

I'm like an AA sponsor telling an alcoholic that they are drinking their life away. Of course the drunk will first get offended, then be in denial, but eventually he will come to realize that he is wrong. Hopefully by that time it is not too late!
sixxx 2:34 AM - 14 August, 2009
Quote:
I don't know sixxx personally but all i know is that when im 36 years old i wouldnt wanna be depending on junior proms and weddings to get my paycheck.

Yes. You don't know me and apparently you can't read. lol

I don't even do proms and or weddings unless by referral maybe 4 a year... so depend on that money? Pleeeeease. Learn to read and probably comprehend. I got a great job. DJing is one of my many passions.
sixxx 2:44 AM - 14 August, 2009
Here. Jot this down in a piece of paper for future reference. The last Prom I did was maybe in 1996. This entire year, I've done or will do 4 weddings total. That's it. Not because I can't get them, but because I don't NEED the money and I'm picky like that. Plus I got my club residence(s) to take care of. So by reference only.

So, hipster, I don't know why you're mad at me or feel you need to attack me to prove your point. I already gave great advice and it's 100 times better than the sob story you wrote.

Don't be mad at me cause DJing didn't workout for you. :)
Dj MacMillz 2:45 AM - 14 August, 2009
I don't understand the point of this whole thread in the first place........ok we get the point you didn't make a career from djing, but why bash another man's love/passion for the art, whether it be his sole source of income or just a hobby, or even a 'shitty side gig' as you would refer to it......

Maybe a few of us tried your current profession of Internet Marketing and decided it was fucking boring or a scam....or matter of factly.."NOT OUR STYLE" so for you to sit here day in and day out to bash the thing you once enjoyed and loved is fuckin just short of retarded
hipster 3:12 AM - 14 August, 2009
Quote:
So, hipster, I don't know why you're mad at me or feel you need to attack me to prove your point. I already gave great advice and it's 100 times better than the sob story you wrote.

Sixxx,

I'm sure you're some cool ass cat and we would probably get along if we met.

However, you just happen to be the victim because you are an old ass dude who dj's for a living. Whether you dj proms or not, we do not need to get into details because everyone knows doing mobile gigs isnt really a stable career.

Let's not generalize that dj's are all having fun and enjoying what they do and getting paid. That is probably the biggest rationalization and cop out answer that djs who are stuck doing what they do can say. I know this for a fact because I still have TONS of dj friends, i've met and networked with djs all across the globe and can see that MANY of them hate their jobs, dont really see an advancement opportunity, and would probably live their life over differently if given the chance.

Its like saying everyone that goes to church is happily praising God and living a spiritual life.

So Sixxx, my man. Think ahead 5 years from now for the sake of your 2 kids. Do you think you can pay the college tuition doing club gigs? You'll be 40 soon bro. Its time to admit fault and quit being selfish because this dj career is only holding you back.

You can still have the passion for music without having to sacrifice life's opportunities.

PEACE
sixxx 3:16 AM - 14 August, 2009
Quote:
However, you just happen to be the victim because you are an old ass dude who dj's for a living.

Are you seriously that dense? I don't DJ for a living. I DJ because I love it and when I'm 70 years old, I'll still be DJing at home while my 2 kids are probably out there DJing. My wife and I love it. We both DJ. You can't seriously be mad at that.
sixxx 3:18 AM - 14 August, 2009
Here... I'll make it easy for you to read and possibly understand.

Quote:
All this while havin' one of the best jobs ever for over 12 years workin' 20 hours a week on salary with benefits which has left me plenty of time to do all of the above, own a home and now raise 2 awesome kids AND still have time to do all of the above.
deezlee 3:36 AM - 14 August, 2009
what an inspiring tale.
i agree, we should all get hooked up with easy internet marketing money by our boy.
imona quit my job, get fat and move in with my mom 'till it happens.
thanks hipster!

and don't listen to the haters. they're poor!
hipster 3:43 AM - 14 August, 2009
Quote:

Sixxx, as humans we have the natural instinct to judge right from wrong. However, rationalization interferes with reasoning and ultimately prohibits us from a normal person's point of view.

Dj's tend to think they are right for doing what they love... which is practicing and doing gigs til the break of dawn.

the same could be argued for
- rubik cube geeks that spend hours practicing
- poker players that play 16 hours a day
- video game nerds that farm gold online for a living

These clowns are doing what they enjoy and could be making money off of it.

Dj's arent as big a losers as these examples because you actually need "some" social skills to be a good dj but you get the point. Doing what one LOVES does not justify the effect it causes to your family, the people that depend on you, or the negative influence it gives to others.

P.S. - you cant be too serious about having your 2 kids having dj professions can you? If so thats irresponsible parenting.
deezlee 3:52 AM - 14 August, 2009
internet marketing requires excellent social skills.
that's why hipster is so good at making friends.
sixxx 3:56 AM - 14 August, 2009
Quote:
P.S. - you cant be too serious about having your 2 kids having dj professions can you? If so thats irresponsible parenting.

hahahahahaha

Music runs in my family. My dad was a DJ in the 70's. I'm currently a DJ (among other things) and I'm sure my kids will pick up the same skills as they're around music of all sorts; Not only DJing but musical instruments as well.

You crack me up talking about being responsible when you got into drugs and I've NEVER touched a single drug even though I've been around most of them in the music business.

Hipster. You're a character. I applaud your effort, but keep reaching. :)
DeezNotes 3:59 AM - 14 August, 2009
I've had a love for turntables/DJing since I was about 5 years old. I've had at least 1 turntable since then. I think it's safe to say I love DJing. However, I like my job. I like it a lot. I don't love my job, but I really like it and I get a different type of satisfaction out of it than I do DJing. For me personally, I like my life better where I do something I like for a living and I do something I love on my own time. It allows me to continue to love it and not get sick of it because I do it 5 nights a week. This may not apply to everyone, so I wouldn't go as far as saying everyone should live the way I do, but I understand where he's coming from. There are some people that love DJing and can do it 7 days a week and not feel a thing. To each his own.
sixxx 4:06 AM - 14 August, 2009
Hipster,

You keep talkin' about your beliefs and opinions and even your own experiences. And let me quote you:

Quote:
Sixxx, as humans we have the natural instinct to judge right from wrong. However, rationalization interferes with reasoning and ultimately prohibits us from a normal person's point of view.

Quote:
i started djing around 95'

and

Quote:
WHY I QUIT DJING ABOUT 5 YEARS AGO

See the irony? It took YOU (not me) YOU about 9 (NINE) YEARS to figure out you were wrong. I suppose that makes you slow.

If I had been unhappy, or not making money, or haven't had reached any of the goals I set for myself by year 2, I would've pursued something else. Do I regret anything in my life? Not at all.

Chris seems to be absolutely correct about.

Quote:

sixxx 4:07 AM - 14 August, 2009
Quote:
I've had a love for turntables/DJing since I was about 5 years old. I've had at least 1 turntable since then. I think it's safe to say I love DJing. However, I like my job. I like it a lot. I don't love my job, but I really like it and I get a different type of satisfaction out of it than I do DJing. For me personally, I like my life better where I do something I like for a living and I do something I love on my own time. It allows me to continue to love it and not get sick of it because I do it 5 nights a week. This may not apply to everyone, so I wouldn't go as far as saying everyone should live the way I do, but I understand where he's coming from. There are some people that love DJing and can do it 7 days a week and not feel a thing. To each his own.

Yup. This is exactly how I feel. I've said it many many many times before. The minute DJing feels like a job (or a career as you all it), is the day I will ultimately quit.
SUBSTANCE 4:08 AM - 14 August, 2009
I hate old drunks that preach against drinking.
You had your fun & fucked it up.
I don't need to wallow in your sob story to avoid your mistakes.
sixxx 4:10 AM - 14 August, 2009
Quote:
I hate old drunks that preach against drinking.
You had your fun & fucked it up.
I don't need to wallow in your sob story to avoid your mistakes.

+666
sixxx 4:23 AM - 14 August, 2009
Quote:
lmao, this is a funny thread.. sixxx is winning by ALOT.

I agree. Both my wife and I are laughin' at it. hahaha And the funny thing is, that she's practicing in the background, hears me laughin' and runs over to see what I'm laughin' about... laughs her ass off, then goes back to the decks. lol
ZESH! 4:28 AM - 14 August, 2009
Quote:
I woke up at 8am, did the kenpo dvd of p90x, checked some emails (seeing how much i earned while i was sleeping), met sabrina at stacks to grab brunch, checked out huf across the street for new releases, then drove over to Harding Park for a round of golf. I shot 7 over which isnt bad considering the greens were due for a trim.

that my friends is what i did at the first half of today. so for those of you think im miserable, bitter, and just mad at the world, how could i be?

Did you have fun doing all the above? It took you half a day

I DJ for fun.
Done it on and off for over 2 decades (It's fun)
I met alot of girls doing this (girls are fun...right?)
Met LIFELONG friends because of it (friends are fun, no?)
Earned alot of money (saved it?..Hell no! Had to take those girls out)

Let me ask you...Is the p90x, your golf game, or your corny brunch with Sabrina paying for your kids' tuition?...no...you did it for your own entertainment / Satisfaction.

you did nothing today, other than the p90, to better yourself or anyone else around you. So it makes you no different than most anyone else here.

Instead of Being "REAL" and tellin all the youngins what they shouldn't be wasting their lives on, why don't you add something positive instead. There are LOTS of young DJs who could be doing alot worse to themselves and others.

Maybe they'll enjoy golf, like you.
Or take Sabrina out for dinner (she'll be hungry later).
How about sweating alone in front of a TV while doing jumping jacks?

I don't think we all have or had the same expectations out of DJing as you did in the past.
Try a different approach, and remember, there are alot more people with positive attitudes about DJing than there are people like you.
sixxx 4:34 AM - 14 August, 2009
ZESH! brought up a very interesting point. I know lots of DJ's who, if it weren't for DJin', they would've gotten involved in so much shit and would probably be dead or in jail. I encourage kids to take DJin'g or any other artistic venture. Not only does it release stress, but for a lot of us, it financially pays off. I don't know what else you could ask for.
DJMark 4:34 AM - 14 August, 2009
Quote:
lmao, this is a funny thread.. sixxx is winning by ALOT.

But this thread is like the Special Olympics.

(I don't need to write the punch line to that, do I?)
hipster 4:34 AM - 14 August, 2009
Ninos,

There are no winners or losers because this is an ADULT discussion - something that a naive 13 year old wouldnt comprehend. I will not insult you because at your age everything still is invariable and you were still wetting the bed when serato first came out.

So STFU and stop commenting on my thread and LISTEN to what US grown ups talk about so you may actually LEARN something.

Leave serato to the big boys and ask mom to pre-order you DJ HERO instead.

PEACE
latindj 4:38 AM - 14 August, 2009
Quote:
So Sixxx, my man. Think ahead 5 years from now for the sake of your 2 kids. Do you think you can pay the college tuition doing club gigs? You'll be 40 soon bro. Its time to admit fault and quit being selfish because this dj career is only holding you back.

Hey, I'm 40 years old! Been dj'ing since '83 or '84. I'm a mechanical engineer by day, and yes I managed to do this all while still dj'ing. I have a daugher starting her second year at the UCSD with practically a free ride due to her great success in school. A son who's 14 who loves music but could care less about the tables right now and I don't push him to do it. A beautiful baby girl...she just turned 2 this past May..... I guess I fucked up big time huh.......oh and I still dj once or twice a month....not for the money, but because it has been and always will be my passion.
Serato, Support
ChrisD 4:42 AM - 14 August, 2009
Quote:
LISTEN to what US grown ups talk about so you may actually LEARN something

From who? You?

Learn what exactly? How to get banned multiple times then claim that it's not true (you can lie to everyone else here but you can't lie to yourself)?

Learn how to "keep it real here for the young cats" when you're actually desperately trying to convince yourself that you made the correct decision?

Learn each and every trick in the book of forum trolling?

hipster, you've said some unfathomable things in this thread, and so be it. But if you personally attack or insult another forum member I'll ban you. Again.
hipster 4:44 AM - 14 August, 2009
Quote:
Hey, I'm 40 years old! Been dj'ing since '83 or '84. I'm a mechanical engineer by day, and yes I managed to do this all while still dj'ing. I have a daugher starting her second year at the UCSD with practically a free ride due to her great success in school. A son who's 14 who loves music but could care less about the tables right now and I don't push him to do it. A beautiful baby girl...she just turned 2 this past May..... I guess I fucked up big time huh.......oh and I still dj once or twice a month....not for the money, but because it has been and always will be my passion.

The BIG difference is you were a mechanical engineer by day. Others dont.
latindj 4:45 AM - 14 August, 2009
Actually, I was a dj first....I just could handle going to school, raising a family, and dj'ing all at once....
ZESH! 4:49 AM - 14 August, 2009
Hipster...he's 13...with a talent, and an interest in improving himself.
What else could you ask for?

HE'S 13!! and having clean fun!

And your bashing him like a drunk step father.
Leave him alone. teach your kids to golf.

You think it's OK to DJ if you're successful? Not to take ANYTHING at all from latindj, but is he better / happier than me because of his carreer?

Is this how you judge a person...Is it how you've judged yourself, and are so unhappy?
sixxx 4:50 AM - 14 August, 2009
ninos,

Don't pay attention to the attacks from hipster. Notice that I don't attack him with anything but facts. Facts hurt. Words don't.

And, I think Chris D's facts are probably the most hurtful of them all.

-----

Ninos,

My advice to you is to do what you feel in your heart. If it weren't for people who did things out of the passion and because they followed their heart, we wouldn't have "heroes" to look up to like Mother Theresa, Ghandi, Malcom X, etc.

But, be wise in your choices and don't make the same mistakes hipster did and is doing..... THAT MY FRIEND IS THE BIG LESSON HE'S TEACHIN' YOU

:)
ryansupak 4:51 AM - 14 August, 2009
hipster:

Do you miss DJing? I mean, do you still love music, and sharing it with people?

rs

ps - Regarding what the Mod said about discourse: I'm a very long-time lurker here; I find the board to not be very good reading, primarily on the account of a few very frequent posters who, presumably, see the board as "their playground" and feel the need to be as demeaning and bullying as possible.
Serato, Support
ChrisD 4:57 AM - 14 August, 2009
Quote:
Regarding what the Mod said about discourse: I'm a very long-time lurker here; I find the board to not be very good reading, primarily on the account of a few very frequent posters who, presumably, see the board as "their playground" and feel the need to be as demeaning and bullying as possible.

ryansupak,

It saddens me to hear that, and that's why I made my (albeit slightly out-of-line) comments about what a train wreck this thread is. I totally understand why you feel that way.

But there IS lots of good stuff on this forum. The Help area is awesome. There are lots of awesome product discussions. If you've ever participated in a product beta you'll have seen some great to'ing and fro'ing of ideas.

The general discussion areas can, sadly, be a bit of a zoo. But there's plenty going on here besides those.
Dj BuddyLove 5:00 AM - 14 August, 2009
Blah....
at this thread
BERTO 5:09 AM - 14 August, 2009
yo i wish i could of started at 13 i would be so much better, ninos keep it up man
SuckaDJ 5:11 AM - 14 August, 2009
Quote:
yo i wish i could of started at 13 i would be so much better, ninos keep it up man

+1
djatrain@hotmail.com 5:59 AM - 14 August, 2009
Man what did I miss, had to go to Jazzin at the Shed with my woman. This post is still Blue Flame Yo Son. Word is bond B, easy, 1
DJ Unique 6:02 AM - 14 August, 2009
Can you guys please STOP feeding the Troll.
Dj-Bedtime 6:03 AM - 14 August, 2009
Are you guys really falling for this shit??? Hipster has been trollin for a while now and starts threads to simply talk shit.

Hate hate hate
dj_craigmac 6:03 AM - 14 August, 2009
Quote:
Man what did I miss, had to go to Jazzin at the Shed with my woman. This post is still Blue Flame Yo Son. Word is bond B, easy, 1

Is that shed as in Shed Aquarium?
djatrain@hotmail.com 6:14 AM - 14 August, 2009
Hell yeah, that ish is all the way live. Live Jazz at the Shedd by Soldiers Field on Thursdays. Guy had a drum solo for like 10 mins. Ish was bomb yo.
djatrain@hotmail.com 6:21 AM - 14 August, 2009
Quote:
Hate hate hate

LMAO

Silky Jonhston: I hate you. I hate you. I hate you. I don't even know you, but I hate you. I hate your guts. I hope all the bad things in life happen to you and only to you.
Dj-Bedtime 7:33 AM - 14 August, 2009
I wish only the worst things to happen in your life.....
djchrischip 9:37 AM - 14 August, 2009
@ hipster:
After reading ur in brief life story and taking time to digest process and reflect on it, i have prepared the following response. Please mind u I am only 20 so cut me some slack.

What u described is life...
Let me explain In life we all fuck up at several points pursue hobbies and careers and sometimes fall into other profitable ones much like urself...

What I am trying to say is don't be grudge djing because the mistakes and failures of the past mold and shape us for the future.

In my life I have done many things I sincerely wish I could take back ... Alot of dumb shit and wasted time at hobbies, having fun partying, djing, riding and other dumb shit but in it I have become the person i am today and am all and all happy as to how I turned out...

I mean if u take me for instance my high school years were devoted to riding and cutting class to take my bike out to the trails, My college years to date have been spent with a girl cutting class to bone, and through it all I never looked back as to oh shit i fucked up... I know I am smart and will eventually fall into something. But for now I am a dj, a college student and a licensed real estate agent (another business venture that failed due to the current market conditions) but heyy I have learned through each experience and will not make the same mistakes twice...

So on the real am happy u made ur fortune doing that internet stuff now just waiting for me to make mine at something... but hey im only 2 weeks to 21 so i got time lol
DME-CEO 11:27 AM - 14 August, 2009
WTF??!!...... LoL - call Oprah wit this one.......
bourbonstmc 11:52 AM - 14 August, 2009
Quote:
So STFU and stop commenting on my thread and LISTEN to what US grown ups talk about so you may actually LEARN something.

^^^Troll showing his true colors^^^

Message to troll: Get your own message board and then you can tell everyone what they can say and where they can say it.

*unsubscribes*
Cyberia 12:07 PM - 14 August, 2009
I think Hipster may be the Ruckazoid in different clothing. He has that same all inclusive negativity about him.... What nonsense.
Caramac 12:41 PM - 14 August, 2009
Been reading this today. Snide comments aside this has been an interesting thread and I agree that everyone should have a back up plan. I'm kind of having minor arguments at work about stuff like this. Some people can't fathom why I want to work during the day in an office as an accountant and then go out at weekends and DJ. I could possibly make more money as a DJ but I choose not to be cause for one I prefer the job security and secondly I DJ because I want to and not because I have to. If I have a fit at my club and decide to play nothing but 90's classics and get fired then its not the end of the world.

Its important to have all sides so that young DJ's reading this can make an informed decision. We're not all going to be superstar DJ's or producers. Some of us will be but not all of us. Likewise just because you go to class and have a sensible job you're not garunteed a big wage. Keep you options open, save your money and plan for you future.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:59 PM - 14 August, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
LISTEN to what US grown ups talk about so you may actually LEARN something

From who? You?

lol!
Ok, that was funny.
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:38 PM - 14 August, 2009
Guys your still arguing with someone who dosent exist this is all a fantasy notice he dosent post durring working hours. He wants a long thread on him because it's the only way he can get attn in life so if you guys wanna continue the discussion do It without addressing him cause it's pointless he's not even making sence.....and sixxx i'm dissappointed in you one of your 1st posts said you can smell a troll a mile away and then you go to arguin with him he's lovin this
Caramac 1:56 PM - 14 August, 2009
^^^ This is one of those do you see a half full or half empty cup type situations.

Regardless of the negative comments and snide remarks and the fact on whether Hipster is a person with multiple bans the message is kind of clear. Have a back up plan.

Well that's kind of how I'm reading it anyway.
latindj 2:42 PM - 14 August, 2009
^he's not telling you to have a back up plan. he's telling you to stop dj'ing or your fucked....wrong message.
Chris Cracknell 3:03 PM - 14 August, 2009
You don't seem to have the slightest clue about punctuation, so I very much doubt you have gone that far. I think you sum it up when you say you sat around toking half the time, that's probably when it went wrong, that, and when you disappeared up your own arse.

Djing is fun, if you keep that in mind, then what is there to worry about?

You probably weren't as good as you thought you were, and why bother coming on here to tell us how shit it all is, clearly your internet marketing empire isn't keeping you as busy as it should be, maybe you should stop writing essays on here and go count your money.

Twat
Caramac 3:06 PM - 14 August, 2009
Quote:
^he's not telling you to have a back up plan. he's telling you to stop dj'ing or your fucked....wrong message.

I ain't really seeing that. But then I'm in a pretty positive mood being friday and all so maybe I'd read this differently on a monday lol.

Or the other message could be don't waste your life toking and stack something away for the rainy days. Either way I found it quite interesting to read a story on someone who it hasn't worked out for, for whatever reason. It brings a balance to things.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:13 PM - 14 August, 2009
Quote:

I wouldn't see it as such, but to each his own. Seems more like stay focused, and don't let the DJ FAME fool you, because when REAL REAL life comes knockin' you better be ready.
sixxx 4:41 PM - 14 August, 2009
Quote:
and sixxx i'm dissappointed in you one of your 1st posts said you can smell a troll a mile away and then you go to arguin with him he's lovin this

Not at all. I just stated facts about my life. That ain't arguing. Many MANY people around here think they know me. This is perfect as I can point them out to this thread to get the FACTS straight.

:)
DJ Pryme 4:44 PM - 14 August, 2009
I Like Turtles!
bourbonstmc 4:50 PM - 14 August, 2009
Quote:
I Like Fucking Turtles!

Whatever floats your boat, dude...
DJ Pryme 4:55 PM - 14 August, 2009
pretty sure there wasn't a "fucking" in that one cool guy. that boat has sunk.

::-obvious misquote because it's seriously posted right above your failed attempt fail-::
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:59 PM - 14 August, 2009
Stares at pryme......facepalm
DJ Pryme 5:01 PM - 14 August, 2009
less staring and more downloading:

www.wethebestest.com

check it out.
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:01 PM - 14 August, 2009
Question for hipster....what was your dj name when you were at the heigth of you rise and fall, you said you were in Cali I'm sure there's enough Cali djs here to verify your story I mean you were on the radio afterall right
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:04 PM - 14 August, 2009
Lol pryme that was the best defence I've ever seen, oh I see an argument starting BLAN here's a mixtape lol THAT my friends is how this board should be run!!! No joke
djbigboy 5:11 PM - 14 August, 2009
I am sure a bunch of people have taken this personally. But there are a lot of wavies on the forum. I think it take s brave and smart person to get out of the game. For a huge % of dj's, a lot of them will jump into the game, waste a lot of money and throw their gear up on craigslist.

A lot of us, like myself, have been in it for a while.

Do i wish I could go back and work a bit harder in school? Yes. Do I wish I had a degree? hell ya...

But when I was djing as sole income (or partial) man, how many crappy gigs did I do? get underpaid? under appreciated? What else could i have been doing?

I try to talk to any teen that will listen, go to school, get your education....spending all your time being a marginal dj will just waste the important years of your life, 16-26. You should be focused on school and getting your education.

I have enjoyed all the times I have spent djing and working in the music industry, but perhaps I missed out on bigger and better things. I know I am a hell of a lot smarter then most people carrying degrees, and according to something i read recently, over an avg lifetime, a college degree earning individual will make a million dollars more then a person that hasn't earned a college degree

So while hipsters post is well intentioned, probably not the best forum to do it in...

BTW - whoever said Jose Melendez needs to get their ass handed to them...Jose is an icon in the bay area...until you have done what he's done, you shouldn't talk shit
DJ GaFFle 5:45 PM - 14 August, 2009
Quote:
I Like Gerbils!

Whatever floats your boat, dude...

{misquote FAILure repair}
Proto J 6:05 PM - 14 August, 2009
nah, the message i got from this douchebag was that DJing was solely responsible for him being fat, broke, living at home with his parents, and going nowhere...

trying to insinuate that DJing is the root of all evil.

LMFAO!

whether it's part time or full time, DJing is a great job. if approached from a business sense you can make a lot of money and it provides great job security (unlike most of the jobs people go to school for these days, again, tons of my friends have lost their jobs lately and are resorting to all kinds of stuff that their degree has nothing to do with)...

you need a back up plan for any career these days, school no longer guarantees you shit... for some, DJing is the back up plan. which is why my homeboy holds onto a few gigs so that when ibm lays him off to hire people in another country to do his job for cheaper, he's got something to fall back on...

if you do it full time, and use the extra money and free time wisely, you can make a whole lot more money (you should do that with any job you have, it just so happens DJing allows way more free time than most jobs).

i've seen people do these things with DJing with my own eyes. so the notion that it "leads nowhere" is total and complete BULLSHIT.
nik39 6:16 PM - 14 August, 2009
So what are hipster's alter egos?
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:44 PM - 14 August, 2009
I always have a chuckle when I hear people without a degree speak of it's importance, I have a degree I'm still underpaid and underappreciated and I know alot of djs making alot more than me doing less, the reason is because we put so much emphasis on degrees that they've become a commodity, they can open doors for you but those doors can be opened without one with some work. What really sucks is when you have this great degree and neither your manager or the company owner have one, instead of school they were busy getting a head start
djbigboy 6:53 PM - 14 August, 2009
I am one of those that have the full time job and dj on the weekends. It seems like so much work, but after all this time, I truly do work for the extra income (to live the lifestyle I am accustomed to) and also the fun. But if it was all I did, man, i hate 50th bday parties n such. I have solid dj skills (although I often tell people I suck) and have had times when I lived on djing only, but it was rough. I can't imagine going back to that. Hipster was only pointing out the alternative to djing. I know plenty of people that quit djing for a variety of reasons that were EXTREMELY talented. They just wanted bigger things for themselves...
FunkyRob 6:58 PM - 14 August, 2009
So hipster, you got any old records you want to get rid of?
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:03 PM - 14 August, 2009
Lol ask him after 5 when he gets off work, this site is blocked on his work computers lol
FunkyRob 7:04 PM - 14 August, 2009
Quote:
Question for hipster....what was your dj name when you were at the heigth of you rise and fall, you said you were in Cali I'm sure there's enough Cali djs here to verify your story I mean you were on the radio afterall right

I can verify the existence of 4 of the record stores he wasted time in.
deezlee 7:06 PM - 14 August, 2009
internet marketing...
what does that mean?
do you make those fake info websites (with all of the text ads) where all of the links go to other pages full of links (and text ads) that go to other pages full of links, etc?
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:09 PM - 14 August, 2009
Lol I don't dout the stores exist ....i'm sure California exists too lol
FunkyRob 7:13 PM - 14 August, 2009
I can also verify the existence of where he had brunch with Sabrina.

stacksrestaurant.com

a lovely place for pancakes
bourbonstmc 7:15 PM - 14 August, 2009
Should we know who Sabrina is?
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:15 PM - 14 August, 2009
I'm pretty sure Internet marketing is where you make a page then sell advertising space on your page by convincing companys that you can get alot of traffic to come through your page then once a few suckers do you spend you days running around the Internet getting peoples attn sp they'll go to your page and increase page traffic by say oh I don't know going to a dj forum and telling djs that djing sucks then putting a link to a totally non dj related page in your user profile so the 2 to 3 hundred or users reading that page click the link tring to find some shit on him to talk about.....,.,and if that's not what it is then I need tofugure out what it IS called because after writing this it sounds like an awsome idea lol!!!
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:16 PM - 14 August, 2009
Isn't she a teenage witch??
FunkyRob 7:17 PM - 14 August, 2009
Quote:
Should we know who Sabrina is?

???

www.chem.unt.edu
DJ Schematic 7:19 PM - 14 August, 2009
I work a "9-5" and go to school. I DJ at local bars and clubs only on the weekends. I don't take any gigs that land on Mon-Thurs cause of school and the gym. I'm not looking to become the next vice or am, or anything like that. but, If i was given a spot in vegas, shit, i would do it for free haha. i'm just DJing for fun.

BTW, i quit doing weddings and stuff like that because it felt like a job . The money was WAY better then the local bar scene, but it sucks tearing down lights and speakers at the end of a 5 hour gig. Then, you gotta drive em to your storage or garage and unload and organize your shit at 12-1am.
MSF 7:45 PM - 14 August, 2009
Everyone has a path in ilfe to choose, and hipster has chosen his.. He did have a graphic way of conveying his experience, but to each their own...

The question that I have is regarding this:
Quote:

This guy is making me think he is making at a minimum $250k/yr.. cuz he did say anyone.

So, I wanna exactly how you do that? ... cuz im interested.

the story was entertaining , BTW.

@MBezzle - good idea using that profile thing...lol
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:49 PM - 14 August, 2009
Quote:

the story was entertaining , BTW.

Yep.
brady176 7:53 PM - 14 August, 2009
Here comes my lil life story...

3 years ago I thought i had everything figured out and was achieving success many people would kill for. Supply Chain major at MSU (#1 in the country) and working at an internship for a company that does over 20 billion a year and is global. Getting flown out to Vegas, hearing keynote speeches at Ruth's Chris steakhouse by brilliant minds in the industry among the other 30 interns with basically every Important executive within the company. Then i return to the cubicle and the reality of the traditional path became more clear.

15 years of Education had led me to being a year from graduating with a degree that was something i HATED every second of. Almost every person was a fake ass mother f*cker who would do anything to improve their standing or position within the company. Stress and pressure was rampant over million dollar deals that were negotiated on a daily basis. I was looking at $70,000 a year to START after just a bachelor degree.

I remember looking back and think how could I do everything that is perceived as the right way and still end up so unfulfilled. Society has methods of brainwashing its individuals into a certain mindset and I realized mine. I thought money was all that mattered, the more the better, the happier you'll be yada yada. I've always been a defiant lil fucker causing trouble in class and realized I would never be happy unless i pursued a passion.
If i stayed on that path I would have ended up just like Hipster. A bitter asshole, but at least i would have more money than him? I immediately changed my major to advertising/marketing.

I can honestly say that DJ'ing has provided me with more than a comfortable amount of money and through my grind have built my name around town to the point where my scheduling is Reactive as opposed to Proactive. I don't have a day job, but am currently using the fruits of my labor and freedom to pursue OTHER passions that will pick up where DJ'ing ends. Anything i've tried to be good at I've succeeded because i'm extremely competitive, and strive for mastery. While i know this is not the case for everyone, I take DJ'ing for what it is.

I don't expect anything but will embrace success if I find it and will continue to step my game up because It's something I love, especially the entrepreneurial aspect. After graduating I plan on moving out to the Vegas/LA/SD scene where i've already established networks in each city who can get me work.

I'm dating a Dopppppeeee girl, whos attractiveness can only be rivaled by her intelligence and personality.

I wake up every day whenever I want with a smile on my face. (thanks serato)

I see the ugly side of the industry, but choose to stay away from it. I get to make on average a thousand (or more) people each week have more fun when they're out having the time of their lives.

Now having said that, I am one of maybe 3 other people (club/bar DJ's) who hold down gigs in this area code who don't constantly go through many similar struggles as Hipster and DJ'ing is not something everyone can find my kind of success in.

I doubt I will ever work a 9-5 in my life unless I own the business because after having this freedom, I will not stop until I figure out how to make it last the rest of my days. My future will be in my hands and those are the hands i trust.

I can say with certainty that DJ'ing saved my soul. But having a strong skillset in many different areas such as Social skills, Computer saviness, having an ear for music, Creative thought processes, work ethic, street smarts and a strong business sense is what enabled things to materialize.

Worst case scenario is I go into an interview with a Big Ten university degree and talk about how I by myself made bars hundreds of thousands of dollars. I'll also have a portfolio with creative and attractive flyers I designed.

All this being said, it could all fall apart if i'm not careful. I could end up a deaf alcoholic drug addict by 35 given the right combination of circumstances, but I have faith in myself to make wise decisions.

EVERY SITUATION IS EXTREMELY UNIQUE and Hipster immediately exposed himself as ignorant by applying such a generalization.
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:54 PM - 14 August, 2009
Lol thanks, but I'm really sure by the wording here and his other thread that any valid points or views he made were an accident on the trip to his destination of pissing people off and having the boards attn for a while ...there's Been a few threads on this subject already and the common answer us have a day job dj for extra scratch. I don't think there's anyone on this board who djs for a sole income and disent know that your taking a risk or that it's shaky ground. Besides he paints it as such a black and white picture like you only have 2 choices A) only dj for sole income and do nothing else but be a loser or b) work and do nothing else and be a winner....the world is filled with shades of grey
latindj 8:12 PM - 14 August, 2009
cliff notes?
brady176 8:20 PM - 14 August, 2009
i figured that being my first post i had lost enough of my life reading all the previous posts that it was my turn to catch up
SuckaDJ 9:37 PM - 14 August, 2009
mBezzle is pure COMEDY!
djskiggz 11:04 PM - 14 August, 2009
diid it ever occur to you that maybe, just maybe....you suck at life?
djdragon 12:18 AM - 15 August, 2009
I've been a human Disco Karaoke machine and remixer 'on spec' for 22 years.

And thank you to all the clubbers and 'ravers' over the past two decades that helped me buy my house.

And to think all of that from just a hobby.
uncle ricky 12:33 AM - 15 August, 2009
this is the most boring crap i have ever tried to pay attention to...not really sure why i keep checking it, btw m bezzle has it right... i just worked a 50 hour work week and it sucked and now i get to go do my best at making a party bounce tonight, tomorrow, and sunday...i will make more in those 12 hours than i did all week, and i love it... every second of it from effin lady gaga's bs poker face to david guetta's sexy bitch.. my day job sucks and on the weekends i get to party and rock a party and make bank,,, its my release..its my fun...its who i am
WASH3D 1:37 AM - 15 August, 2009
Wow. This has entertained me through my very boring day job! I guess the only thing left to do is snap pics of my gear and put it up for sale on craigslist.. And hipster whatever ur smoking must be some good shit, I'll take double!
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:45 AM - 15 August, 2009
This thread should get interesting in an hour or so once hipster gets home from the office....to bad most of the board will be out spinning/making money/having a blast so there won't be replys till mon....course he'll be back at work then lol.....then again I'm sure sixxx will have his phone so there may be some action after all lol!!
djdragon 1:51 AM - 15 August, 2009
Quote:
This thread should get interesting in an hour or so once hipster gets home from the office....to bad most of the board will be out spinning/making money/having a blast so there won't be replys till mon....course he'll be back at work then lol.....then again I'm sure sixxx will have his phone so there may be some action after all lol!!

XD
DJ GaFFle 7:51 PM - 15 August, 2009
Quote:
This guy is making me think he is making at a minimum $250k/yr.. cuz he did say anyone.

So, I wanna exactly how you do that? ... cuz im interested.

I smell a pyramid or ponzie scheme...
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:18 PM - 15 August, 2009
Yup I'm about possitive on that, I had a friend try to talk me into joining this thing where you buy tons of random crap from this online site for wholesale and sell it yourself from your home then you get people to sign up and you get a percentage of what the make (something like that) it was insane because the people that "recruited" him had him believing he was going to be making a hundred thou a year sellin toliet paper and vitamins from his house and signing people up under him. What really bugged me out is dude pretty much kidnapped me to go listen to this big sales pitch by askin me to go get lunch with him and takin me to his pyramid leaders house, I was PISSED because the had an hours worth of slideshows videos and product demos for this ridiclous idea. Dude was like man look at their house this must work......so I asked the lady if her husband did this too and she told me yes but he's also a heart dr lol which made more sence. Finally I got him to get me the fuck outta there and dude bought me lunch and told me he was gonna write it off of his taxes as a busniess lunch..., I'm like man you ain't got a damn busniess and the check is like 8 bucks lol.... Last I heard dude wad still workin at papa johns waiting on his share of the "profits" and a refund check for his $8 McBusniesslunch
DJWALDO 11:05 PM - 15 August, 2009
wow.... sounds like because this guy didn't become jazzy jeff or am everyone should quit. good theory. i actually am one of those guys that solely spins as my income. i've been doing fine for years and years. in those years i have bought land, stocks(which aren't looking great right now but whatever), and have been saving little by little and am actually very close to having all i need to receive a loan to open my own bar. i'm sure most people on this board spin in their off time from other jobs. it's great extra cash for doing what we love. those of us that choose to be financially smart and not do free work for free music, spend money getting music that everyone has... or buying equipment that we really do not need, generally have money to set aside. i have yet to put one dollar into my music collection. sorry but i refuse... i know too many djs with tb's worth of stuff and i don't know about other cities but in richmond there is only about 5 guys that actually dj and not press play all night. we hang out often, talk even more and are not stingy with music... there is just no point in it anymore. i buy nothing but top of the line gear that is known and built to last. i do not care about the "new cool thing" i use what works every night without fail for ever. i pay all my bills, rent, 2 car payments, cell, internet, gym everything and i've still managed to save and invest. so my only question to you, mr. hipster guy.... why couldn't you? and while you are answering that maybe you can tell us all why you feel the need to come on here proving your obvious failure and tell us all how we are failing too?
JustJace 12:39 AM - 16 August, 2009
this whole thing made me laugh, i couldn't read past 1/4 of the top.

if djing is about one thing, it's fun. if you really get into just to make money or get famous, you've got the whole art twisted + i would not rely on the 1s and 2s for my main source of money (unless you've got yourself established and whatnot).
JustJace 12:40 AM - 16 August, 2009
Quote:
Wow. This has entertained me through my very boring day job! I guess the only thing left to do is snap pics of my gear and put it up for sale on craigslist.. And hipster whatever ur smoking must be some good shit, I'll take double!

I concur, lemme get a half 8th.
lotty 3:21 AM - 17 August, 2009
I think what he is saying is true IF you follow his path BUT it isn't a message just for DJ's, it is for everybody. If you work a 9-5 you can get laid off and have to start from scratch if you don't have investments that can grow or you can live off of until you get back on your feet.

With any job in the entertainment field or any job that allows you to get fast cash(legal or illegal) and you working for yourself, you will have your ups and downs. This is why only those who have discipline should do these types of jobs because if you can't keep money and know what to do with it besides buy more things you don't necessarily need, you will find yourself in a rut eventually. This is why most drug dealers are broke after a while. Not because they got locked up but because they didn't plan for the day that they will get locked up and the money stops. They just spent it living like kings and didn't have anything on the side for health insurance, lawyers, rainy days, and investments. These are the same things a person who works for themselves need.

DJ'ing is good to start other things such as learning more about music allowing you to do production for artist or corporations(commercials), or movies which leads into more money and more recognition so you can charge more to DJ. One things feeds off the other.

The money you make from DJ'ing and production can go into stocks, bonds, real estate, or whatever you what to do to make more money.

Your money will just keep growing IF you know how to control it as well as your dick because once you start getting money the ladies come into the picture and if you don't know how birth control works(condoms not pills because she can lie) you will be the next nas, puffy or any athlete that ever existed paying tons of money for child support and alimony. Once this happens you better get a "real" job with benefits because you WILL be up shits creek and DJing will be a NEEDED source of income not just a source of income.

What he should have said was he didn't take life serious and didn't utilize his time and money to better himself because he couldn't and now he has someone to do it for him by allowing him a weekly check and a certain type of health care and retirement plan. This is wonderful but for people like myself I want to get the money fast and I can learn how to invest and flip it myself because I have the discipline to control what I do with my money, and how I would use it to my benefit. The other way just takes to long for me but I think it is wonderful for people who don't have the self control to say no to certain things in life or how to manipulate things for their benefit. All the want to do is get their check go home to the kids and be entertained for the rest of the days.

CAN'T KNOCK THEIR HUSTLE BUT DON'T FORGET IT'S PEOPLE LIKE ME WHO ARE GIVING YOU THIS OPPORTUNITY SO DON'T PUT DOWN THE ENTREPRENEUR OR THE KID WHO WANTS TO DO HIS OWN THING BECAUSE YOUR KIDS, IF NOT YOU, MAY BE WORKING FOR HIM ONE DAY.
DJMark 5:30 AM - 17 August, 2009
This must be the "everybody write a book" thread.

Amusing (and a little disturbing) how one obnoxious troll can draw so much personal stuff out of people.
Mikey V 6:04 AM - 17 August, 2009
Hipster, I'm sorry you approached it wrong from the begginning. Some of us, from the beginning, managed our time better, got our degrees, dj as a secondary job, didn't "toke, toke toke" and throw away the 1st part of their young adult lives.

Congratulations! But just cause you finaly figured out how to fix your ways doesn't mean:
1. others are on your same path to failure with djing and career paths
2. you're on some high pedestal over us.

You're like an alcoholic that is treating church like an AA meeting. Dude, not everyone messed up like you. All you're doing is sadly assuming everyone is a failure like you were...which is nothing more than embarassing yourself.
geeunot 6:44 AM - 17 August, 2009
Player, give me some brew an I might just chill,
but I'm the type that like to light another joint
Like Cypress Hill
I'm steal doobies spit loogies when I puff on it,
I got some bucks on it, but it ain't enuff on it
go get the S-t. I-d-e-s
never the less, I'm hella Fresh,
rollin joints like a cigarrette

haha just thought i'd throw that in
Gor 10:07 AM - 17 August, 2009
um where did we make the transition from discussing the pros and cons of having a job as a dj to the lyrics of I got 5 on it. lol
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:47 AM - 17 August, 2009
Quote:

Amusing (and a little disturbing) how one obnoxious troll can draw so much personal stuff out of people.

You have to admit, it's a great subject matter.
geeunot 11:49 PM - 17 August, 2009
Quote:
um where did we make the transition from discussing the pros and cons of having a job as a dj to the lyrics of I got 5 on it. lol

haha u guys were talkin bout hipster just toking all the time
DJ-JC 11:54 PM - 17 August, 2009
Ok Reasons U Fail as a Dj
1st- It take you 2 years to buy ur gear and 1 crate of records
2nd- You passed up pussy on you 1st gig cuz u had to drive the gear home. what gear you boombox and 2 TT!!
3rd- you got you foot in wild 107 one of the top if not the bets radio station in the bay area at the time and you quit cuz you din't like to play house music? yes you are a LOOSER.
AND YOU CALL JOSE MELENDEZ A FAGGOT He it's one of the more successful Dj's in the Bay Area. What the fuck your Talking about May be you the faggot, losser the din't take this opportunity to take off, decide to become a hip hop/battle dj if im correct thats one of your biggest mistake cuz its only one tipe of music you play not evryone likes hip hop or scraching

why u paly golf why you waste u time doing that you never going to be Tiger Woods or a pro golfer? you play cuz u liked cause it make u feel good.
well that what Dj do for a lot of us the only difference its the we are smart we get pay and we enjoy doing it.
So Please stop Comparing you misarable, pathetic life whit r us.
DJ'NG Its ben good to me its my own bussines it help me buy my house,cars and equipment.
so u shoud get ur lasy ass up and go find a job from 9 to 5 and have some one telling you what to do and if the economy gets fuckd up they have a reason to fire ur ass stop tryng to reclute successful Dj's to You Pathetic life.
Losser, Fuck Offfffffffff
SuckaDJ 11:59 PM - 17 August, 2009
not sure what this guy above me wrote in the second paragraph but i couldn't hang.... lol
Dj-Bedtime 12:08 AM - 18 August, 2009
Quote:
not sure what this guy above me wrote in the second paragraph but i couldn't hang.... lol

yeah.....when you try to make a point...it helps to have a semi-good command of sentence structure and punctuation.

Also-- I'm not gay but the way people throw around the word "faggot" is stupid. Same thing as calling someone a Nigger (for most of the gay community)
DJ-JC 12:22 AM - 18 August, 2009
Sorry guys
english it's my second lenguage. i just got really fire up by this losser.
and i throw around the word foggot couse he use it to try to offend Jose, not to try to offend any body. and if i call him gay than i will be offending the gay community. this guy it a pice of shit.

Keep Dj it's a Good Business and good money. get paid what you are wort!!
SUBSTANCE 12:32 AM - 18 August, 2009
*read first post / get angry / ignore thread / write novel*
Dj.Mojo 3:38 AM - 18 August, 2009
^^
haha
geeunot 4:18 AM - 18 August, 2009
hahaa JCs got some funny writing, i know what he's sayin tho
hipster 5:59 AM - 18 August, 2009
OK THE BOTTOM LINE IS I TRIED TO SEND A MESSAGE OF GOOD WILL.

but just like what happened to Jesus...

I was ridiculed, doubted, and crucified by a bunch of know it all dj "pharisees" who buy stock with their gig money.

Go ahead and dj all your life. I dont give a shit. Scratchlive niggas got your back.
Everyone in this forum seems to have the same juvenile state of mind.

However, once you grow up and come to realization that there is a WHOLE WORLD out there whom disagrees and they are laughing at you. DJing at 40 isnt cool anymore. It classifies you under LOSER status - people who havent learned to move on with life.

You might not agree with me right now, but eventually you will. Hopefully by that time you will have some other options.

PEACE

PS -------------------

For the niggas that are doubtin the creeam - img199.imageshack.us

That's just a MONTHLY statement from ONE of my accounts. I make most of money doing affiliate lead generation on several other sites. Google is probably the only company that you recognize so I had to show you that.
RogerRabbit 6:09 AM - 18 August, 2009
Quote:
OK THE BOTTOM LINE IS I TRIED TO SEND A MESSAGE OF GOOD WILL.

but just like what happened to Jesus...

I was ridiculed, doubted, and crucified by a bunch of know it all dj "pharisees" who buy stock with their gig money.

Go ahead and dj all your life. I dont give a shit. Scratchlive niggas got your back.
Everyone in this forum seems to have the same juvenile state of mind.

However, once you grow up and come to realization that there is a WHOLE WORLD out there whom disagrees and they are laughing at you. DJing at 40 isnt cool anymore. It classifies you under LOSER status - people who havent learned to move on with life.

You might not agree with me right now, but eventually you will. Hopefully by that time you will have some other options.

PEACE

PS -------------------

That's just a MONTHLY statement from ONE of my accounts. I make most of money doing affiliate lead generation on several other sites. Google is probably the only company that you recognize so I had to show you that.

Good stuff.. I got to look into this internet marketing...
Discobee 6:10 AM - 18 August, 2009
I read this whole thread top to bottom...and I think I know the moral of the story....

Get into Trance music.
geeunot 6:47 AM - 18 August, 2009
hahha discobee. damn wait, correct me if im wrong, lookin @ the monthly statement, is that 400k+ a month??? huh?? haha
nik39 7:38 AM - 18 August, 2009
Quote:

Nice words, DeezNotes.
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:36 PM - 18 August, 2009
Wow so I was right about what he does, I wonder how many people talkin shit to him clicked on his link in his profile and earned him money
AMF 2:28 PM - 18 August, 2009
=(

I want some cream too. lol
latindj 3:44 PM - 18 August, 2009
Quote:
=(

ugh, no homo?
DJWALDO 3:49 PM - 18 August, 2009
so i have a question for the millionaire dj quitting person..... why in the sam hell are you on these forums? and if i may ask another question... instead of telling us all how we are all losers and suck at life why not explain to us how is it youre making all this money? i mean you are just sending a message of good will right?
Dj BuddyLove 4:48 PM - 18 August, 2009
Quote:
so i have a question for the millionaire dj quitting person..... why in the sam hell are you on these forums? and if i may ask another question... instead of telling us all how we are all losers and suck at life why not explain to us how is it youre making all this money? i mean you are just sending a message of good will right?

???
hell if i was making cream like that id say coming on this board typing this nonsence is a aste of my time. blah.. what do i know nothing!!! even if i was making that chedder id still dj & do gigs & whatnot because i just love doing it & love music the atmosphere the people ect.. so blah
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 4:48 PM - 18 August, 2009
in a sorta similar way, i too had the same attitude toward "DJ'ing", but in reality, it was my string of poor choices that led to 7 odd years of dilly-dalling till i (and help from friends and family) eventually turned things around and recover...making up for lost time. things turned out fine. i even returned to DJ'ing, especially with the help from Serato/Rane. it's funny how after semi-retirement.... all your ol highschool/college buddies call and ask if you still DJ cause they are getting married and calling you for duty
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 4:50 PM - 18 August, 2009
Quote:
in a sorta similar way, i too had the same attitude toward "DJ'ing", but in reality, it was my string of poor choices that led to 7 odd years of dilly-dalling till i (and help from friends and family) eventually turned things around and recover...making up for lost time. things turned out fine. i even returned to DJ'ing, especially with the help from Serato/Rane. it's funny how after semi-retirement.... all your ol highschool/college buddies call and ask if you still DJ cause they are getting married and calling you for duty

^^ same attitude as in hipster's attitude
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:53 PM - 18 August, 2009
Quote:

Both of these questions have been answered already
AMF 4:54 PM - 18 August, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
=(

ugh, no homo?

I deserved that one... and no homo!
DJ Bouj 5:10 PM - 18 August, 2009
Oh my goodness, what happened here?

Someone's gotta still have that dutch, send that shit.

BTW, didnt really fo through the whole thread, but hipster has never posted anything remotely constructive or intelligent on this board, pure trolling.

252 posts though, Dude's got his trollin down pat!
valdini 5:20 PM - 18 August, 2009
Hipster has raised some very valid points, a lot of them I agree with.

Not slatting anyone, but I have a similar mindset and think that DJing is more a hobby (at pretty much any level outside of A-list action - playing for them, not at clubs they happen to attend).

I have earned very well from the game, and still do it as a hobby as I like many of you love the music...but it is hard to convert it into something that will stand you well once you enter your 30s and are looking at settling down, kids etc....as partying a few times a week till silly o'clock is not ideal (I know as have done it...lots).

Lots of 'pro' dj mates in the game, and lots of them are really anxious these days as the reach the later point in their career (15 years at the top jobs)...many wished they had invested better etc...but now thinking sh1t, what to do now :(

Take what Hipster said and learn from it, forget the real negative stuff, but at least (if you don't already) make sure you keep you options open and think a little further than the next gig.

I actually found this one of the better threads in my year lurking here, showed a little more character which was interesting.

K
AMF 6:07 PM - 18 August, 2009
I think we all see what hipster was trying to get across (minus the absurb stuff). And I think most of us already understood the point he tried to get across long before he posted it.

I DJ because it's in my blood to do it. I will be putting together parties and spinning when I turn 80 years old at Glacier Hills (retirement home!). But this isn't where most of us make our money from. We have other jobs (options). We do it because we love to spin.

But we still appreciate the message he tried to get across tho. ;-)
Proto J 8:16 PM - 18 August, 2009
again, hipster was trying to solely blame DJing and DJing alone for his life getting off track...

that's straight up BULLSHIT!!!

it was down to his own personal decisions, what he did with DJing, and what he did outside of DJing, that led to him becoming a loser. you can end up that way while having any job almost.

DJing has IMPROVED my life personally, so he is fundamentally wrong, period.
djdragon 12:22 AM - 19 August, 2009
Quote:

Yep all that 'CREAM' and you're still bitter. Way to go champ.
Dj-M.Bezzle 12:52 AM - 19 August, 2009
Quote:
If anyone here still has any douts this whole situation is a scheme to make money take a look at his "paystub" it's for google addsense not click on the totally non dj related link to the hipster site andnotice the google adds on the right hand side......I'm interested to know what site that paystubs for though cause there's no way that hipster site draws hundreds of thousands of visitors each day, so he either photoshopped his numbers or that's not his personal income it's the income of some company he works for.....either way I would love to know the details, I've been researching addsense all day and it looks like a nice way to earn some extra scratch but def not twelve grand a month
Dj BuddyLove 5:28 AM - 19 August, 2009
Quote:
again, hipster was trying to solely blame DJing and DJing alone for his life getting off track...

that's straight up BULLSHIT!!!

it was down to his own personal decisions, what he did with DJing, and what he did outside of DJing, that led to him becoming a loser. you can end up that way while having any job almost.

DJing has IMPROVED my life personally, so he is fundamentally wrong, period.

+1
SuckaDJ 5:50 AM - 19 August, 2009
how does he have windows with safari browser?
or is he on a mac with that boot camp shit
SuckaDJ 5:51 AM - 19 August, 2009
oh nvm, you can have safari on pc!
DJ GaFFle 1:16 PM - 19 August, 2009
I wonder how many PMs Hipster has received from folks wanting to get in on making some of that "creeam"...
lost vegas 1:56 PM - 19 August, 2009
Someone please stop this thread!!!! Mabey this will help....hipster your a cunt and should have the shit kicked out of you!!!! Also I love limewire and filesharing!!!! Would anybody like to buy a tb harddrive full of music I STOLE off the Internet???? I also have like 5 sl1 boxes for sale and some white BOOTLEG vinyl for sale. Even though I'm black I fucking hate black people and love Hitler!!!! What else can I say to get this hate filled turd of a thread locked??? Here is some more... I love geting music from blogs!! I have a Nike sl1 for sale on eBay for only $5!!! Torq is sooo great!!! Lock this now I could go all day!!! FUCK I SHOULD HAVE DONE THIS I ALL CAPS!!!!!!!!!! Can't we talk about djing not hipsters failed life turned big Internet baller bullshit!!!
lost vegas 2:03 PM - 19 August, 2009
This was a fun place to be till hipsters bad vibe killed it!!! I will get this locked or myself banned if I have to!!!
Harddrives for sale!!!!
All stolen music!!!!
Cunt stain
shit clown
fuck tard
pussy fart
cum smuggler
lock this thread
I selling all my vinyl for a penny each
I hate white people
NZ sucks
lock this thread
gay people suck
ive said more than enough to get this locked for fuck sake lock it!!!!
djstix 2:11 PM - 19 August, 2009
^LOL
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:24 PM - 19 August, 2009
Quote:

Step into my office...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:25 PM - 19 August, 2009
Quote:
Someone please stop this thread!!!! Mabey this will help....hipster your a cunt and should have the shit kicked out of you!!!! Also I love limewire and filesharing!!!! Would anybody like to buy a tb harddrive full of music I STOLE off the Internet???? I also have like 5 sl1 boxes for sale and some white BOOTLEG vinyl for sale. Even though I'm black I fucking hate black people and love Hitler!!!! What else can I say to get this hate filled turd of a thread locked??? Here is some more... I love geting music from blogs!! I have a Nike sl1 for sale on eBay for only $5!!! Torq is sooo great!!! Lock this now I could go all day!!! FUCK I SHOULD HAVE DONE THIS I ALL CAPS!!!!!!!!!! Can't we talk about djing not hipsters failed life turned big Internet baller bullshit!!!

Just click the "X" my man, and it all goes away...
lost vegas 2:31 PM - 19 August, 2009
Just click "x" that's bullshit... This fourm is good fun 99% of the time, you know it and I know it... But dickster pulled off the troll of the year...and it's lame!!!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:35 PM - 19 August, 2009
Quote:
Just click "x" that's bullshit... This fourm is good fun 99% of the time, you know it and I know it... But dickster pulled off the troll of the year...and it's lame!!!

lol, dude, don't let it get you down. There are enough other threads on here so, u know, when you get sick and tired of one, just move to the next one.

Reactions like yours are what feeds "Trolls". Some people look past the BS and hype, and found some meaning in the tread.

Hey, it IS what it IS.
lost vegas 2:42 PM - 19 August, 2009
Fine I'll take your advice but now you have to buy all the vinyl and the gold sl3 for $1.83 and a bag of chips..I know..It's not the best deal but I have to make some cash too! Lol
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:47 PM - 19 August, 2009
Quote:
Fine I'll take your advice but now you have to buy all the vinyl and the gold sl3 for $1.83 and a bag of chips..I know..It's not the best deal but I have to make some cash too! Lol

No higher than 1.50, and that's my FINAL SCRATCH, I mean My FINAL OFFER.
CSR 2:49 PM - 19 August, 2009
I'm 39, DJ part-time, make enough money at it to make it worthwhile, but don't ever aspire to be a "star." I still do it because I LOVE music and I LOVE making people dance. Period. And... it keeps me young.

If I EVER sound like Hipster... someone PLEASE put a bullet in my head.
DJ CISC0 2:53 PM - 19 August, 2009
Quote:
LOL! This reminded me of the clip of the angry german kid screaming at his PC.
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:03 PM - 19 August, 2009
Quote:
This was a fun place to be till hipsters bad vibe killed it!!! I will get this locked or myself banned if I have to!!!
Harddrives for sale!!!!
All stolen music!!!!
Cunt stain
shit clown
fuck tard
pussy fart
cum smuggler
lock this thread
I hate white people
NZ sucks
lock this thread
gay people suck
ive said more than enough to get this locked for fuck sake lock it!!!!

nothin personal but this just reminds me of that attitude that is spreading across America now that I can't stand, the attitude that something exists that they don't like or agree with that they can simply avoid and have nothing to do with but that's not good enough they have to do everything in their power to see the thing that they don't agree with taken away burned and destroyed because obviously if it upsets them it dosent need yo exist, it'd not like anyone forced you to be in this thread or made it so you can't do anything else in the forum without clicking into it, if it's not for you then awsome take the .000000001 nanoseconds it takes to read and process that oh hey that's that thread I don't like and look past it to the next thread, there's about 200 posts of nonhateful discussion in here and some really good storys, (cue patriotic music) don't ruin it just because the 1st post got your pantys in a wad, I think it's all made up anyway but even do dude has every right to post his ramblings in here even though their not the norm. It's better to vent in here than go postal in the mall cd shop with a rifle lol

Sorry just my lil rant I've been reading political storys all mornin and people now adays just put me in duch a shitty mood lol
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:05 PM - 19 August, 2009
Quote:

nothin personal but this just reminds me of that attitude that is spreading across America now that I can't stand, the attitude that something exists that they don't like or agree with that they can simply avoid and have nothing to do with but that's not good enough they have to do everything in their power to see the thing that they don't agree with taken away burned and destroyed because obviously if it upsets them it dosent need yo exist, it'd not like anyone forced you to be in this thread or made it so you can't do anything else in the forum without clicking into it, if it's not for you then awsome take the .000000001 nanoseconds it takes to read and process that oh hey that's that thread I don't like and look past it to the next thread, there's about 200 posts of nonhateful discussion in here and some really good storys, (cue patriotic music) don't ruin it just because the 1st post got your pantys in a wad, I think it's all made up anyway but even do dude has every right to post his ramblings in here even though their not the norm. It's better to vent in here than go postal in the mall cd shop with a rifle lol

Sorry just my lil rant I've been reading political storys all mornin and people now adays just put me in duch a shitty mood lol

Dude, do you realize you had not a SINGLE PERIOD (".") in that entire rant?

That is one hell of a run on sentence.

Carry on.
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:10 PM - 19 August, 2009
Dude periods are a bitch to type on a virtual keypad lol, I gotta switch from text to symbols then find the period then go back to textpad and hit the spacebar (which dosent always hit right ) and hope that the spellchecker or grammor editor dosent undo it all. Nope too much work sir
lost vegas 3:20 PM - 19 August, 2009
M bezzle I think my joke got lost in translation... I agree with what you said 1000%... I was trying to be over the top because hipster played us all and pulled a mega troll and just seems like this should have ended a long time ago, don't you think? He made his point But wouldn't give other valid points the time of day! To me that's just the same as running from shit you don't like.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:26 PM - 19 August, 2009
Quote:
Dude periods are a bitch to type on a virtual keypad lol, I gotta switch from text to symbols then find the period then go back to textpad and hit the spacebar (which dosent always hit right ) and hope that the spellchecker or grammor editor dosent undo it all. Nope too much work sir

LOL! Duly noted.
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:38 PM - 19 August, 2009
Lol :)
10:03 PM, 19 Aug 2009
Discussion locked by ChrisD
Serato, Support
ChrisD 10:03 PM - 19 August, 2009
OK, I think it's safe to say that this thread has run its course.

Time to move on people...