DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Snow leopard

DJSi UK 2:59 AM - 3 August, 2009
September is the release date for Snow leopard just two months (or less) away.

What is the score with Serato and Snow leopard, has the developer version of Snow leopard been tested with Serato?

Would be great to get an update on this, as you can appreciate we will be wanting to upgrade, but will want to know if it is stable for our live gigs!

Many Thanks
DJMark 3:32 AM - 3 August, 2009
I would personally not use the first release or two of ANY major OS update for live performance.

Much safer to do a new install of the OS on a separate drive, experiment with it during free time, then make the transition when you're comfortable with the stability (probably after 10.6.1 or 10.6.2 are released, going from previous recent history).
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 6:16 AM - 3 August, 2009
+1 on what DJMark said,

Unless there is a new groundbreaking feature that is guaranteed to make Serato run faster - better - stronger you probably should never rush to upgrade to a new paid OS if you use any audio or music Mac app.

Why rush to take the risk?
DjWoody 9:30 AM - 3 August, 2009
Quote:
Unless there is a new groundbreaking feature that is guaranteed to make Serato run faster - better - stronger you probably should never rush to upgrade to a new paid OS if you use any audio or music Mac app.quote]

If you do Video, from what I've read, Snow Leopard supposed to make a huge difference. However, this will only occur for certain MacBook Pro's that have newer GPU's that support SLI. On other words, the new MacBook Pro's and the last previous generation MBP. You're supposed to see a HUGE difference will be on the new MacBook Pro because they have dual GPU's. With Snow Leopard, OsX supposed to finally be able to use both GPU's at once thanks to SLI support. That will be kick ass!!!
illmatic 2:42 AM - 4 August, 2009
Last i read which is a while back Leopard was'nt officially supported either
BERTO 4:54 PM - 4 August, 2009
its supposed to have software to make the dual processor work smoother and get more out of it
BERTO 4:54 PM - 4 August, 2009
64 bit!!
DJSi UK 2:13 AM - 31 August, 2009
I did a clean install of Snow Leopard and loaded serato from scratch everything is running A1 OK, no problems
djdragon 2:40 AM - 31 August, 2009
Quote:
64 bit!!

Not quite. news.cnet.com And not yet, great gimmick tho'
Millz 2:55 AM - 31 August, 2009
+2 on waiting for a more stable release :)
Millz 5:16 PM - 31 August, 2009
Quote:
I did a clean install of Snow Leopard and loaded serato from scratch everything is running A1 OK, no problems

there is no such thing as a clean install of the new snow...
Millz 5:17 PM - 31 August, 2009
MAC OS X 10.6 SNOW LEOPARD RETAIL-INT MC223Z/A $29.00 1 $29.00
Ships: 3 - 5 business days
Delivers: Sep 4 - Sep 11
GROUND SHIPPING GRNDSHIP01 $4.00 1 $4.00
Subtotal $33.00
Sales Tax

$2.31
Total Price
$35.31
DJ Viru 5:48 PM - 31 August, 2009
Yes there is such thing, if you wipe your HD clean, you can perform a clean install.
Psyphris 5:50 PM - 31 August, 2009
@Millz: I would buy snow leopard from Amazin, $25 flat and free shipping. All you have to pay is tax.
DJSi UK 6:07 PM - 31 August, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

there is no such thing as a clean install of the new snow...

Wipe your hard drive using the disk utility in the snow leopard setup (DVD) then install a clean copy, easy.
Millz 6:25 PM - 31 August, 2009
What Apple care has told me is that the dvd install disc is just an upgrade from what I have already installed...I asked her if I can do a clean install of snow and she said no...so maybe she doesnt know what shes talkin about lol...Psyphris I already bought snow last friday when it became avail...but I wont be installing it until Serato gives the all clear.
DJ Luminous 6:29 PM - 31 August, 2009
Quote:
What Apple care has told me is that the dvd install disc is just an upgrade from what I have already installed...I asked her if I can do a clean install of snow and she said no...so maybe she doesnt know what shes talkin about lol...Psyphris I already bought snow last friday when it became avail...but I wont be installing it until Serato gives the all clear.

apple was trying to get people to buy the bundled pack for a lot more, but it is the full operating system, you can install it on any intel mac, regardless of which OS you were running.
Millz 6:39 PM - 31 August, 2009
I thought so...well I paid for it, and itll be here anyday now...but Im just goin to sit on it till Serato gives the all clear. thanks fellas
djpuma_gemini 7:56 PM - 31 August, 2009
Here's a note from Sean C in another thread

Hi All

Although we have been heavily testing VSL under the new Mac OS for some time we have yet to officially announce support for Snow Leopard. I would suggest that until we do it may pay to keep it off your gig machines. In the meantime we do appreciate your feedback so please keep it coming.

You can install QT7 from the Snow Leopard Install disk, although it is kinda buried in the installer. This may help solve some of the issues. If you have already installed Snow Leopard its pretty simple. Simple stick the install media in your Mac, run the installer, select the "CUSTOMIZE" option and tick the box for QT7 and un-tick everything else (assuming you have Snow installed!). If you are installing Snow Leopard new, make sure you select customize and tick that QT box!

Watch this space for an official announcement :)

Cheers

S
BriChi 12:19 AM - 1 September, 2009
Even the DVD gives u instructions for a clean install, when u got to install, choose utilities and reboot to erase and install, which I am performing now as I type this on my iPhone :)

looks like apple just wanted to make more money for people that fell for it. Sucks that they pulled this
DjWoody 12:25 AM - 1 September, 2009
Yeap! It's the same thing Single User vs Family pack! lol.... You can buy a single user and install it on all the computers you own. But I don't think the agreement lets you do it, but technically speaking it's not impossible. lol