DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

new to digital dj

art blaze 2:00 PM - 17 January, 2020
I spin 1200's normally and have a set of Gemini CDJ 700s (older I know) looking to get into or try Serato. Seems expensive out of the box any thoughts on the best approach to get into?
bumbo08 2:09 PM - 17 January, 2020
In clubs or just at home?

"Expensive" is so subjective however. There are so many options for so many price points.

Are you looking at all-in-one controllers or CDJ-type units?
The Return of Dj Sparky 3:14 PM - 17 January, 2020
Cheapest option is to buy a used Rane SL2 and you can use vinyl or CDs to control the software
bumbo08 3:16 PM - 17 January, 2020
+1 to that. Or the Denon DS1
art blaze 10:24 AM - 19 January, 2020
Thank you. was leaning toward a controller. Used to use a Cortex dmix 600 back in the day. Couple years ago was intrigued by the Roland w the drum pads because I cannot drop 2gs on an MPC Akai which would be just for fun as I no longer really make music. I will check the Rane sl2 and the Denon pieces out. I would just like a set of Pioneed cdjs as they seem like they would allow me to do events again which I do sometimes. Plus the higher end ones seem legit
metroplex2005 1:05 PM - 19 January, 2020
Quote:
Thank you. was leaning toward a controller. Used to use a Cortex dmix 600 back in the day

Controllers with built in Serato DJ Pro license:
serato.com

Controllers with built in Serato DJ Lite license (you can upgrade to Pro with buying a separat license):
serato.com

Other Controllers won't work. Some controllers are DVS capable (for spinning with Controlvinyl/-CD on Turntables or CD Players, but you have to buy a separate license for DVS.

Mixers with audiointerface and separat audiointerfaces:
serato.com
Most have a built in license for Serato DJ Pro + DVS. Some have not and you have to buy separate licenses for that.

Quote:
I will check the Rane sl2 and the Denon pieces out.

If you want to use your existing hardware (mixer, turntables, cd-player) this will be the cheapest solution.

Quote:
I would just like a set of Pioneed cdjs as they seem like they would allow me to do events again which I do sometimes. Plus the higher end ones seem legit

Some Pioneer (and other companys) CDJs are capable to control the decks in Serato DJ Pro with HID/Midi, without ControlCDs. But they are only official accessories, the don't unlock Serato DJ Pro, don't processing audio and do not replace a seperate audiointerface or mixer with built in interface. In fact they are simple plug and play HID/Midi controllers to expand the controlls on an existing setup with official hardware and licenses, nothing more.
Here are the official accessories:
serato.com
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 1:00 AM - 23 January, 2020
Quote:
Quote:
I will check the Rane sl2 and the Denon pieces out.

If you want to use your existing hardware (mixer, turntables, cd-player) this will be the cheapest solution

The discontinued Mini Mixer and effects unit by Akai may also be an CHEAP option.

The Akai AMX mixer and the Akai AFX effects unit gives you many of the features of a controller but allow you to use your 1200's or CDJ (with the $99 DVS expansion pack)

Good review here - Watchwww.youtube.com

Still for sale NEW at some music retailers but very affordable on ebay for both units.
art blaze 11:57 AM - 4 February, 2020
I am not going to lie used to do shows and events now more of myself at home use since the kid and work take a toll. I am leaning toward a set of Pioneers. Going to bust out my old school Gemini CDJ 700s to see if i still enjoy the feel. I thought cdjs would do it but still a vinyl fan.
Mm3 11:52 PM - 4 February, 2020
If you are looking into getting cdjs, just get a pioneer ddj 1000 srt and call it a day. Portable enough to play out and you can still hook up your 12s for home use....
Mm3 11:57 PM - 4 February, 2020
My bad... i read too fast. you already have gemini cdjs.

Akai amx is the cheapest option if you want to use your 12s and cdjs... numark scratch is also a good one if you want access serato effects without extra midi controller...
art blaze 3:45 PM - 6 April, 2020
Been off for a min due to this craziness going on. What do you think about cable quality. I was thinking of hooking up some ifi Audio cables because i have from my headphone set up.
577er 10:01 PM - 6 April, 2020
Most things labeled Hifi are actually smoke & mirrors. Not sure I understand your question. Are you talking about the cables between your turntables and your mixer or from an amp to speakers? If it’s the latter thick cables are better than expensive cables.
art blaze 2:39 PM - 21 April, 2020
I was talking tables to mixer as I already have a nicer set but then will look at amp to speakers. I will let you know what I find. I run a headphone amp to with a nicer headphone so will try that usb with my dac and cpu first then try it on my cdj to see if i hear a difference.

Thank you