Serato Studio General Discussion

Talk about anything Serato Studio, music production, plugins and supported hardware

Import MIDI clips, Ghost Notes, Feature Request

4Play Productions 10:57 PM - 19 November, 2019
Hello,

Is there any way to import MIDI (.MID) clips ?
Or plans to implement this in the future ?

Also, I know this software is primarily audio focused, but being able to view multiple tracks at the same time (ghost notes) would be helpful for drawing bass lines around the kick (or chord), working melodies around harmony, arp, etc..

And finally, the ability to route MIDI between tracks in order to use MIDI generators /tools such as Scaler would be helpful.

Thanks
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 8:02 PM - 21 November, 2019
Hey 4Play Productions

Currently you can't import or load .MIDI files in Serato Studio. This is certainly something we have discussed adding in the future.

Quote:
Also, I know this software is primarily audio focused, but being able to view multiple tracks at the same time (ghost notes) would be helpful for drawing bass lines around the kick (or chord), working melodies around harmony, arp, etc..

I really like this too. FL Studio can let you see notes in the Piano Roll from other Instruments and it is super useful. This is an area we would like to continue improving in updates.

Quote:
And finally, the ability to route MIDI between tracks in order to use MIDI generators /tools such as Scaler would be helpful.

This would be super useful. Another feature we'd like to add in the future. We've actually been discussing adding our own 'Autochord' feature too. In your opinion, what is the most useful parts of plugins like Scaler? Just easy chord triggering, or is that actual chord progression suggestions that it offers?

Cheers,
Logan.
4Play Productions 12:06 AM - 22 November, 2019
Hi Logan,
Thanks for the reply.

I currently have most DAWs (FL20, Studio One 4, Ableton Live 10, Reason 11, and of course Serato). Along with most plug ins including Serato Sample.
All have their pros/cons, but to date I find myself mainly using Live with Push 2 for beats, and Studio One 4 when composing. Serato Studio is great in many areas, easy to use, and coming along nicely for a V1 recent release.

I use Melodyne Studio stand alone when in Serato to get the chord tracker used in Studio One. The key syncing is great, but sometimes following chord changes really helps with the bass, melody, etc. Not necessary (can usually do it by ear if major/minor scale) but nice to have. Along with the ghost notes in all others.

As for Scaler, it analyses audio and detects chords which is good. Along with triggering any chords, and having many chord progressions available. Autochord would be helpful for some I’m sure. I was more referring to the MIDI routing from one track to another (bus) so I can have example captain chords/melody, scaler, Melodyne or whatever device trigger sounds from another VST. Or drag and drop the MIDI it generates onto a track in Serato. Then have one of your instruments or a VST play the track.

In the meantime, BlueCat Patchwork can route the MIDI to the VST internally before outputting to Serato, so it works for me. Rather have all in one platform but not a big deal. Or alternatively using a MIDI generator that hosts VSTs internally (AutoTheory 5, Midi Madness 3, etc) so can route directly into Serato. I don’t use those personally but know others that do.

I’ve learnt over the years that more options isn’t always better, paralysis by analysis. Which is one of the many things I enjoy about Serato. I had beats going really quickly, and enjoyed the process. Mainly audio and sampling, but we produce hip hop /R&B so it works great. Then export the stems, and do mixing mastering in another platform if needed.

Let me know if anything else you want to discuss.
I have some ideas for future versions of Serato that’s I’m confident would help new and veteran users workflow, beat making, and composition.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 10:26 AM - 16 December, 2019
Hey 4Play Productions,

Sorry for the slow reply, I missed your message above.

Thanks for all the feedback, I see you what you mean now by MIDI routing. This is something we've discussed before and would like to add at some stage.

Quote:
I’ve learnt over the years that more options isn’t always better, paralysis by analysis. Which is one of the many things I enjoy about Serato. I had beats going really quickly, and enjoyed the process.

This is really great to hear and is what we believe too. Have you joined our beta area to get early access to upcoming releases? If not you should! I'd love to hear your feedback on some of our upcoming features :)

Cheers,
Logan.
DJ Cranked 10:39 AM - 22 January, 2020
I'm unsure if I should make a new thread or add to this one. So, I will add to this one, and if wrong, I know for next time. I want to second midi file. I currently use plugins by MIK. ("Captin Plugin" to be exact) Which I am unable to use in Serato Studio due to my MIK plugins exporting in midi files. I would love to be able to have midi files worked in, so i could use my plugins I am more comfortable with.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 1:25 AM - 23 January, 2020
Hey DJ Cranked,

Commenting on an existing thread that relates to your topic is totally fine!
Regarding your request, currently Serato Studio can not read or load MIDI files and so this is not possible. However this is a feature we are looking at adding in the near future so keep an eye out!

Cheers,
Logan.