Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

DDJ-1000SRT Trim Knob Weak Signal Gain

Dj Youkai 5:26 PM - 12 November, 2019
I don't know if it's just me, but has anyone noticed that the Trim Knob Adjustment on the SRT isn't giving too much signal increase. I mean I have to turn it up like almost half way to level the signal of the track. Hope I'm making sense here. On my DDJ-SX I Just Have to Turn it a little bit and the levels gets louder, but not in the SRT. 🤔
RR437T 8:09 AM - 13 November, 2019
In the manual for the 1000, follow the instructions for putting the controller in utilities mode. Then follow the directions for raising/lowering the global/master gain.
Dj Youkai 10:18 AM - 13 November, 2019
Quote:
In the manual for the 1000, follow the instructions for putting the controller in utilities mode. Then follow the directions for raising/lowering the global/master gain.
Ahhh.. Ok.. Thanks Will Try That. Thanks
RR437T 7:11 PM - 13 November, 2019
I didn't have time to go into detail last night. Do you understand what I was referring to when I was talking about global gain?

Also, for best sound quality, you want to have all of your digital gain/volume controls set as high as possible, and still be usable. When I say digital, that means any adjustments made in Serato itself (master volume control, trim, channel volume sliders, etc). You want to make it so that your volume controls are as close to full as possible. For example, if a volume control is only set to half way, and that's as loud as you'll ever use it, you want to eliminate that gap from half way to full as much as possible. That's one of the main reasons they give you that global gain control I mention above.
Dj Youkai 7:31 PM - 13 November, 2019
Quote:
I didn't have time to go into detail last night. Do you understand what I was referring to when I was talking about global gain?

Also, for best sound quality, you want to have all of your digital gain/volume controls set as high as possible, and still be usable. When I say digital, that means any adjustments made in Serato itself (master volume control, trim, channel volume sliders, etc). You want to make it so that your volume controls are as close to full as possible. For example, if a volume control is only set to half way, and that's as loud as you'll ever use it, you want to eliminate that gap from half way to full as much as possible. That's one of the main reasons they give you that global gain control I mention above.

I Understand about the SRT Utilities Mode yes .. I forgot about going in there. I never made any adjustments in Serato. Thought it would be all set already like How All DDJ Controllers I had including the Mixars Primo. Just weird that the SRT is Pretty Weak in the Trim Knob Adjustments.
RR437T 2:31 AM - 15 November, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

I Understand about the SRT Utilities Mode yes .. I forgot about going in there. I never made any adjustments in Serato. Thought it would be all set already like How All DDJ Controllers I had including the Mixars Primo. Just weird that the SRT is Pretty Weak in the Trim Knob Adjustments.

Its really not about how weak or strong the trim adjustment it. Its about what you're plugging the controller into. For example, if you are plugging the controller into a poweramp running a pair of speakers, the amp will have a set amount of gain on the input. Lets say everything is working fine and you change the amp. The new amp could have a lower input gain causing you have a lack of volume control. The issue has nothing to do with the controller, its just a gain mismatch. That's why they give you the adjustment on your 1000. Same thing could happen if you change your speakers. A new speaker can have a different impedance curve, and it will throw off your volume controls. Its just the nature of working with different types of equipment.
Dj Youkai 1:43 PM - 16 November, 2019
Quote:

Its really not about how weak or strong the trim adjustment it. Its about what you're plugging the controller into. For example, if you are plugging the controller into a poweramp running a pair of speakers, the amp will have a set amount of gain on the input. Lets say everything is working fine and you change the amp. The new amp could have a lower input gain causing you have a lack of volume control. The issue has nothing to do with the controller, its just a gain mismatch. That's why they give you the adjustment on your 1000. Same thing could happen if you change your speakers. A new speaker can have a different impedance curve, and it will throw off your volume controls. Its just the nature of working with different types of equipment.

Thanks for your Input.. But I have to Disagree.. Im Using the same EV Evolve 50's with the same setting.. Used my Primo, DDJ-SX, DDJ-SZ All the Trim Knobs Are Pretty Much Identical When I Make I higher. On The SRT Though.. I literally have to Move The Trim Like to 3 Oclock to Even have some kinda of Level I want.
dj Krazey leo 4:04 PM - 16 November, 2019
As long as the gain trims doesn’t peak the line meter in red it doesn’t really matter the position of the trim pot just keep the the volume out of the red hope that helps.
RR437T 12:29 AM - 17 November, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for your Input.. But I have to Disagree.. Im Using the same EV Evolve 50's with the same setting.. Used my Primo, DDJ-SX, DDJ-SZ All the Trim Knobs Are Pretty Much Identical When I Make I higher. On The SRT Though.. I literally have to Move The Trim Like to 3 Oclock to Even have some kinda of Level I want.

That still suggests some type of gain mismatch. Raise the global gain on your controller and that will most likely fix the problem. Aside from that, Pioneer may have used a different spec potentiometer in your 1000SRT. I have an SX2 and the original 1000 and the curve on the trim knobs seems to be the same. Either way, as long as you get the levels you want, the actual knob position doesn't matter.