Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Need advice... Switching from PC to Mac in 2019...

Savadelic.com 7:15 AM - 6 November, 2019
I’m new to video mixing (haven’t even started yet), but since this is the forum for Serato Video users, thought you guys would know what’s up and hopefully could help me... And forgive my long-windedness.
So my HP ENVY pc’s been tripping up at gigs (SDJ, audio, and Windows 10 freezing for a few seconds while mixing), I want to be able to use RekordBuddy for sending my crates to Rekordbox for Cdj use, and I want to be able to do video mixing and even if not mixing music videos I want to have live audio reactive visuals, which only seem to be available for Macs.
(If you know any live reactive visual options for PC let me know.)

So, for these reasons I’ve been lookin at switching to a Macbook... I’ve got a few questions... hope you can help...

1.Does Serato Video still suck as much as the posts in this forum seem to imply (either by itself or compared to MixEmergency)?

2.Do Touchbar Macs really have that many problems (with Serato Pro Dj OR Serato Video OR MixEmergency) to where it’s better to get a non-touchbar Pre-2016 Macbook Pro?

3. Do I still need a dedicated graphics card vs integrated graphics for running video/visual effects (either through MixEmergency or Serato Video)?

4. What’s the minimum spec’d Macbook (any year) now in late 2019 that can easily and smoothly run DJ software and video (either through Serato Video or MixEmergency)? Asking this because I’m trying to save money, but if necessary, I could finance through Best Buy...

I realize I may be so late to the party that I may be overthinking, asking wrong questions, etc.

Any suggestions are appreciated, links to buying options even more so, Bonus points for zero-interest finance options! Seriously though, thank you!
Res-Q 2:35 PM - 6 November, 2019
1 - it's not that serato video sucks, it's that Mix Emergency does wayyyyy more things. There is a reason why all VDJs using a mac are using ME.

2 - Touch bars are better now, if you follow optmization guides for serato you should be fine. However, most of us like older models because they are upgradable (bigger ssd, more ram...)

3 - A dedicated graph card will be useful if you use the video software to the fullest (1080p files, video sampler). I dont know but I highly doubt a 219 macbook air would run ME flawlessly.

4 - Many Mac heads here will advise you. I personally use a mid2012 retina full specd and I dont have any issues spinning videos. but at the time it was the most expensive machine available.
If I had to buy a new mac today I would probably go with the biggest spec available in order to be futur proof.
DJ Marv the Maverick 1:52 PM - 10 November, 2019
Quote:

Resolume

GrandVJ

Mixvibes Remixvideo
Savadelic.com 4:50 PM - 10 November, 2019
Quote:
1 - it's not that serato video sucks, it's that Mix Emergency does wayyyyy more things. There is a reason why all VDJs using a mac are using ME.

2 - Touch bars are better now, if you follow optmization guides for serato you should be fine. However, most of us like older models because they are upgradable (bigger ssd, more ram...)

3 - A dedicated graph card will be useful if you use the video software to the fullest (1080p files, video sampler). I dont know but I highly doubt a 219 macbook air would run ME flawlessly.

4 - Many Mac heads here will advise you. I personally use a mid2012 retina full specd and I dont have any issues spinning videos. but at the time it was the most expensive machine available.
If I had to buy a new mac today I would probably go with the biggest spec available in order to be futur proof.

So if I couldn’t afford a current max-spec
Mac, a max-spec 2015 with dedicated graphics should suffice for at least a couple years, right? My main video usage would just be mixing videos off bpm supreme and live audio reactive visuals with ME. Thank for your help.

Quote:
Quote:

Resolume

GrandVJ

Mixvibes Remixvideo

Do these work with SeratoDJ? I’m not seeing anything on their websites indicating that they do, but I’m assuming they can run alongside and just analyze the live audio either from the soundcard or laptop mic? Are they pretty simple to run? Do they work well enough that you’d gig with them as a vj?
Thanks for your reply.
DJ Marv the Maverick 8:37 PM - 10 November, 2019
Quote:
Do these work with SeratoDJ?

That’s a new question but it depends what “work” means

Yes they will work for visuals and visual fx.

Ableton link, Live Music reactive mode etc
Savadelic.com 9:41 PM - 10 November, 2019
I’m not even sure what I mean by work. My impression was that mix emergency integrates directly with sdj. So I was wondering if these also integrate or do they run fully seperate and can just react off any audio?
My goal is to just have a program either running in background or integrated with sdj sending audio Reactive visuals to another monitor while I dj. i don’t have ableton, would I need it?
I’m hoping to just have a program I can just open, set and forget.
DjLaZaRuSrOcKs 7:14 AM - 11 November, 2019
Those other live reactive visuals would work through MixEmergency using SYPHON. You can tell mix emergency to load the live visuals into a deck that doesn't have visuals attached to the audio already.
Get Mix Emergency. Find Syphon compatible live visual software. Then you are golden.
Do keep in mind that live visuals will most likely use the audio through the microphone built into the computer or you can plug and audio cable into the microphone in jack from your controller or mixer (most likely using booth out or or an extra master out).
A 2015 15 inch Mac Pro would suffice for now.