Serato Studio General Discussion

Talk about anything Serato Studio, music production, plugins and supported hardware

Headphone microphone enabled

Oli Griffiths 10:46 PM - 10 October, 2019
Reposting from serato.com

Step 1
Connect Bose QC35 (or any bluetooth headphone with a microphone) to mac by bluetooth, or Samsung Galaxy Buds (by bluetooth)

Step 2
Open Serato Studio

Actual Result
Notice on the Bose QC35 the headphone microphone enabled (noise cancelling changes) and your own voice can be heard through headphones, this usually happens when you join a call or when anything is accessing the mircophone. Additionally, audio quality drops to like 22000 or something and sounds like a highly compressed MP3. If Serato Studio is quit, headphones go back to normal.

Expected Result
This does not happen.

Workaround
Plug headphones in with 3.5mm jack cable if possible
Oli Griffiths 10:47 PM - 10 October, 2019
From what I've read on the subject this happens when a piece of software starts accessing the microphone of a connected device and the OS switches sound quality to lower the bitrate or something. Given that you can't use any microphone input devices with Serato Studio my guess is this is an accident and either an auto enabled option in some OS X SDK or an accident on the serato side...
Serato, Forum Moderator
Phil C 8:43 PM - 13 October, 2019
Hey Oli - we're aware of a bug with Bluetooth headphones and we are looking into it. I'll attach your report to the bug and we'll hopefully have good news for you soon.
Oli Griffiths 10:08 PM - 23 October, 2019
From what I have found it appears to be that the bluetooth profile switches from A2DP to HSP (high quality to headset quality for calls).

When I open then "Audio MIDI Setup" app on os x and select my bluetooth headphones, i can see it switches to "1ch 16bit integer 16KHz" in the format dropdown menu, and 32 bit float 48Khz option does not stick when you select it.

When you close Serato studio it switches back to the 32 bit mode and audio becomes normal again.

Found this article that explains a bit about it www.jeffgeerling.com

Hope this helps, it's super annoying 🙂
Oli Griffiths 10:12 PM - 23 October, 2019
Note, switching the input source from bluetooth headphones to internal mic in preferences makes no difference either.
Oli Griffiths 10:17 PM - 23 October, 2019
Further note, option clicking the bluetooth menubar icon, and selecting the headphones shows the Active Codec is SCO when serato studio is open, vs SBC when it's closed.
Oli Griffiths 1:20 PM - 27 November, 2019
Hey Phil

Any update on this?

Thanks
Oli Griffiths 1:35 PM - 27 November, 2019
I've also tested on a bluetooth stereo that has no microphone, and it works fine, clear audio no issues.

Any bluetooth speaker with a microphone switches the bluetooth profile on my mac when selecting that as the output for Serato Studio.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Phil C 9:49 PM - 27 November, 2019
Hey Oli, yes I have an update!

The bug will be fixed in 1.4.1, the Beta should come out soon after 1.4.0 goes live (which is currently in beta).
Oli Griffiths 10:13 AM - 28 November, 2019
Awesome. Thanks