DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Questions about my setup

scarn 11:29 PM - 29 September, 2019
Hi!

I have started to get gigs as a mobile dj, and was trying my setup for the first time (outside of my house). I linked two subs to each PA in stereo and connected left/right from PA to Vestax VCI-400SE with two XLRs. I also connected my phone to the controller (line-in) with RCA. I dont have a 3,5mm input in my phone, so I used an OTG cable and connected Dragonfly red (dac) as an adapter. This source was way louder both in volume and bass than Serato on my laptop. It seemed impossible not to redline.

- I thought the soundcard in VCI-400 was premium/great/had more headroom?

So I was thinking of selling my setup and buy a controller that works with DJ Pro (windows).
I am considering a cheap controller like the DDJ-400 or the SB3 and an external mixer like the A&H ZED 6 or Yamaha AG06. ZED 6 is half the price of AG06 where I live. I am also considering Pioneer SX2, but if I connect the controller to an external mixer I should get enough power with DDJ-400/SB3?,

- Will the output from an external mixer be lower with DDJ-400/SB3 than SX2?
- I have to use adapters on the xlr-cables to fit the outputs on AG06 (if I buy this one). Will this affect the sound?

I appreciate all your thoughts!
Culprit 1:55 AM - 30 September, 2019
djworx.com

Hey dude, looks like there is levels on the rear of that mixer you can play with. I have never used this controller but maybe someone else can chime in on how it works

I have heard nothing but awesome things about these little controllers.
scarn 9:11 AM - 30 September, 2019
I know that. It's volume adjustment.. I had to use it to fade between the phone and laptop. I know how the controller works. My problem is the difference in volume and bass between two sources (as well as the other things I asked about).
Culprit 2:16 PM - 30 September, 2019
You might have a defective unit
scarn 2:40 PM - 30 September, 2019
Do you know another forum for VCI-400 where I can ask the questions I have?
DJ JulioYEG 3:36 PM - 30 September, 2019
signals too hot almost like its phono. anyways are your speakers powered? if so no need for an external mixer separate from the controller.
Logisticalstyles 5:45 PM - 30 September, 2019
He'll need an external mixer for his mic since the mic inputs on most controllers suck. Also as a mobile DJ an external mixer is very handy for adding multiple mics and back up sound sources.

The DDJ-400 and the SB3 are both USB powered so they will sound a little lower than the SX2 which gets is power from the wall outlet. This applies to any USB powered controller.
Culprit 9:14 PM - 30 September, 2019
Quote:
The DDJ-400 and the SB3 are both USB powered so they will sound a little lower than the SX2 which gets is power from the wall outlet. This applies to any USB powered controller.

Very good point!
scarn 10:56 PM - 30 September, 2019
Quote:
signals too hot almost like its phono. anyways are your speakers powered? if so no need for an external mixer separate from the controller.

Speakers are powered :)

Am I wrong thinking that an external mixer has better amps thus can provide a louder output vs directly connecting speakers to SX2 (Or VCI-400 for that matter)?

Quote:
He'll need an external mixer for his mic since the mic inputs on most controllers suck. Also as a mobile DJ an external mixer is very handy for adding multiple mics and back up sound sources.

If I connect SB3 and SX2 to an external mixer, will the SX2 sound louder?

SB3 will need an external mixer anyways because it lacks xlr outputs etc?

Right now I am leaning towards SR2 thiough.
Logisticalstyles 3:54 PM - 3 October, 2019
The external mixer will allow you to independently control the volume of the two controllers. If all of the settings are flat on the external mixer the SX2 will probably still sound louder but that's the purpose of using the external mixer, so you can adjust the volume on the SB3.

I had the SR2 for about two years and it has it's own power supply so there was never any issue with the volume. I still used an external mixer with it because I didn't like the mic on the SR2.
DJ JulioYEG 3:58 PM - 3 October, 2019
i was always told to never run a amp to powered speakers that was a while ago maybe things have changed but here . " Full range powered speakers are designed to run off line level sources such as a non-powered mixer or CD player or microphone. A signal coming from a powered mixer would be dangerous to say the least.... "
quoted from www.harmonycentral.com
scarn 4:20 PM - 3 October, 2019
Quote:
The external mixer will allow you to independently control the volume of the two controllers. If all of the settings are flat on the external mixer the SX2 will probably still sound louder but that's the purpose of using the external mixer, so you can adjust the volume on the SB3.

I had the SR2 for about two years and it has it's own power supply so there was never any issue with the volume. I still used an external mixer with it because I didn't like the mic on the SR2.

Thanks for the reply :)
What did you use to connect it to the external mixer? Xlr to xlr, rca to 1,4"? Did you use one or two inputs on the external mixer?

Quote:
i was always told to never run a amp to powered speakers that was a while ago maybe things have changed but here . " Full range powered speakers are designed to run off line level sources such as a non-powered mixer or CD player or microphone. A signal coming from a powered mixer would be dangerous to say the least.... "
quoted from www.harmonycentral.com

I see. I have never had any problems with this myself, but im not that experienced.
Logisticalstyles 4:52 PM - 3 October, 2019
Neither of the external mixers listed in the original post are powered mixers.

For my SR2 I used RCA to 1/4 in to the external mixer. If I wanted to go straight in to my PA without an external mixer I used XLR to XLR cables.
Culprit 6:54 PM - 3 October, 2019
It never hurts to have an external mixer unless its a cheap off brand. More control of the output. Don't take it as a blow to the nuts but most dj's don't know how to accurately use an external mixer on top of a controller, hence the controller being an all in one cookie cutter like system.
scarn 8:37 PM - 8 October, 2019
Quote:

For my SR2 I used RCA to 1/4 in to the external mixer. .

Can you ellaborate why you mention that they are not powered? The Speakers I connect to this mixer is already powered.

Will the sound output be mono or stereo with "RCA to 1/4 in to the external mixer." ?

Thank you for the replies guys.
Culprit 10:37 PM - 8 October, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

Can you ellaborate why you mention that they are not powered? The Speakers I connect to this mixer is already powered.

Will the sound output be mono or stereo with "RCA to 1/4 in to the external mixer." ?

Powered in the sense that they dont have an amplifier inside to passive speakers.

You need to google the differences between powered and non powered mixers as soon as possible.
scarn 10:23 AM - 9 October, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Powered in the sense that they dont have an amplifier inside to passive speakers.

You need to google the differences between powered and non powered mixers as soon as possible.

I have already said that the speakers I use are powered! Please just don't assume things. You haven't been to any help for me in this thread tbh
Logisticalstyles 2:04 PM - 9 October, 2019
A Powered Mixer has an amplifier built into it. They are used with Passive (unpowered) speakers.

The mixers you listed do not have amplifiers built into them, they have pre-amps which is something different.

Quote:
Am I wrong thinking that an external mixer has better amps

Those external mixers you listed do not have amps.

Since you have powered speakers, either of those external mixers will work fine for your situation. If I had to choose between those two mixers I would go with the A&H ZED 6.
577er 3:37 PM - 9 October, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have already said that the speakers I use are powered! Please just don't assume things. You haven't been to any help for me in this thread tbh

You need to chill. You are getting good advice. All mixers get plugged in and turned on but some output a "powered" or "amplified" signal that you get from a traditional amplifier and others just send a line level signal.

You need a mixer that outputs a line level signal to go into your "powered" speakers.

If you take any controller with RCA or XLR outputs and send that signal into an A&H ZED 6 then leave the ZED 6 to your powered speakers then you will be good to go with a stereo signal. You can also plug your phone into the ZED 6 on another channel and control the signal to prevent red lining.

It sounds like your workaround for your phone without the 3.5MM jack is possibly a problem however. The fact that companies are trying to kill off 3.5MM jacks is a whole other issue.
Culprit 4:54 PM - 9 October, 2019
Sorry, I will chime out. I didn't want to make it sound offensive at all it was just a quick response to high concerning situation which could result with a disaster
scarn 1:11 AM - 10 October, 2019
Quote:
Sorry, I will chime out. I didn't want to make it sound offensive at all it was just a quick response to high concerning situation which could result with a disaster

I want to apologise for my answer to you, Culprit. It came from frustration about my situation.
The Return of Dj Sparky 2:43 AM - 10 October, 2019
Lol just leave this dumb ass to figure it out himself
DJ JulioYEG 3:40 PM - 11 October, 2019
Quote:
Lol just leave this dumb ass to figure it out himself

LOL
scarn 9:44 PM - 16 October, 2019
;)

Is Soundcraft Notepad 8 FX better than a&h zed 6?
The Return of Dj Sparky 9:57 PM - 16 October, 2019
Buy both and report back, you probably wouldn't believe the answer you were given anyhow
scarn 2:05 PM - 17 October, 2019
Try me
The Return of Dj Sparky 5:34 PM - 17 October, 2019
Na
DJ JulioYEG 6:06 PM - 17 October, 2019
i mean technically you could buy both and see which one you like and then return the other lool
scarn 10:32 PM - 17 October, 2019
Yeah technically lol
H2o 4:29 PM - 22 December, 2019
You could try using something like the Logitech Bluetooth adapter for your phone if you just need to play a few jams from there instead of whatever cable the phone requires to get to your mixer.

The Bluetooth adapter will take a Bluetooth signal from your phone and output to RCA that you can then control on your controller or external mixer.