Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Rane DJ Controller

Lebron Sinclair 3:05 AM - 15 September, 2019
Do you think Rane will ever make a flagship Serato DJ controller to compete with DDJ 1000 SRT, DDJ SX series, or DDJ SZ series?

If they did, here is my wishlist:

1. CDJ size Jogwheels that are moving platters
2. 2 channel instead of 4 to give a more real estate on the mixer section
2. Paddles for the effects like on DJM S9 and Rane 72
3. Buttons flip control and pitch n play
4. A knob for looping section

Can we dream.....lol
Rebelguy 3:08 PM - 15 September, 2019
Quote:
Do you think Rane will ever make a flagship Serato DJ controller to compete with DDJ 1000 SRT, DDJ SX series, or DDJ SZ series?

If they did, here is my wishlist:

1. CDJ size Jogwheels that are moving platters
2. 2 channel instead of 4 to give a more real estate on the mixer section
2. Paddles for the effects like on DJM S9 and Rane 72
3. Buttons flip control and pitch n play
4. A knob for looping section

Can we dream.....lol

No.
577er 4:00 PM - 15 September, 2019
They do! It just comes in three peices.
deejdave 4:30 PM - 15 September, 2019
Not sure why but I have a strong feeling Rane was brought back for the single purpose of the 72/12 combo. The 72 was a somewhat success but I don't feel the 12 was in any way. Definitely not enough to warrant pursuing controllers and I am not sure if it was enough to continuing pursuing Rane itself. Hopefully not true as I consider Rane to be the only one with enough clout to stand up to Pioneer. Numark Not even a slight chance, Denon SHOULD have but obviously didn't and A&H is not a viable Serato partner (apparently) with the rest (Gemini, Hercules, Mixars, etc.) not even worth mentioning. Reloop on the other hand is building momentum so there is that. This is purely an assessment on their impact in the industry and not so much of what they as a whole because if you ask me Denon is in a league of their own in terms of value etc.

NOW that being said I think IF this were to happen Rane should take the Roland approach and stick with what THEY know and innovate with that. Denon was SOOOOO obvious in their attempt to knock Pioneer off their throne. So much so it became desperate looking and in the end pathetic. Keep your eyes on the prize instead of the one currently holding it!!! You are NOT going to beat Pioneer at their own game. I mean we have seen numbers as high as 60% of global market share for Pioneer DJ. Meaning Pioneer is selling SIXTY PERCENT out of ALL DJ gear. Out of every ten controller SIX are Pioneer and the rest............ the remaining 40% is shared by Roland, Denon, Gemini, Hercules, Native Instruments, Novation, Numark, Korg, Mixars and more. Not trying to push off ANY other ideas other than my main point. Do YOUR thing and let Pioneer do theirs. You will probably not make a better DDJ-SX than Pioneer DJ and even IF you do it will NOT sell better than Pioneer so why even try? Make something new and see where that takes you.
musiclee 4:36 PM - 15 September, 2019
Jus have Rane build a 707m and up it one!!!
Lebron Sinclair 9:20 PM - 15 September, 2019
Quote:
Not sure why but I have a strong feeling Rane was brought back for the single purpose of the 72/12 combo. The 72 was a somewhat success but I don't feel the 12 was in any way. Definitely not enough to warrant pursuing controllers and I am not sure if it was enough to continuing pursuing Rane itself. Hopefully not true as I consider Rane to be the only one with enough clout to stand up to Pioneer. Numark Not even a slight chance, Denon SHOULD have but obviously didn't and A&H is not a viable Serato partner (apparently) with the rest (Gemini, Hercules, Mixars, etc.) not even worth mentioning. Reloop on the other hand is building momentum so there is that. This is purely an assessment on their impact in the industry and not so much of what they as a whole because if you ask me Denon is in a league of their own in terms of value etc.

NOW that being said I think IF this were to happen Rane should take the Roland approach and stick with what THEY know and innovate with that. Denon was SOOOOO obvious in their attempt to knock Pioneer off their throne. So much so it became desperate looking and in the end pathetic. Keep your eyes on the prize instead of the one currently holding it!!! You are NOT going to beat Pioneer at their own game. I mean we have seen numbers as high as 60% of global market share for Pioneer DJ. Meaning Pioneer is selling SIXTY PERCENT out of ALL DJ gear. Out of every ten controller SIX are Pioneer and the rest............ the remaining 40% is shared by Roland, Denon, Gemini, Hercules, Native Instruments, Novation, Numark, Korg, Mixars and more. Not trying to push off ANY other ideas other than my main point. Do YOUR thing and let Pioneer do theirs. You will probably not make a better DDJ-SX than Pioneer DJ and even IF you do it will NOT sell better than Pioneer so why even try? Make something new and see where that takes you.

I definitely agree with everything you saying. For them to jump out the box will take years, if ever. Wish Serato would partner with someone like denon instead roland to put out something that will work all of the serato functionality, but you're right that's far-fetched. Should never gave my DDJSX to little cousin thinking something will comeout that even comes close to DDJ 1000 (rekordbox versions) functionality. Thought it would be DDJ SX3 but I heard there were too many recalls. I'll just stick with small SB3 for practices until they actually make a worthy flagship controller for serato.
deejdave 2:39 AM - 16 September, 2019
Quote:
Jus have Rane build a 707m and up it one!!!

This would NOT be the best move or even one that makes sense for Rane. Rane is typically for performance DJ's (routines/scratching/battle) while the 707m is meant for live performances (live sound, instruments, vocals, etc) and this is actually a perfect example of companies sticking to what they are good at.
Quote:
Thought it would be DDJ SX3 but I heard there were too many recalls. I'll just stick with small SB3 for practices until they actually make a worthy flagship controller for serato.

SZ2 is pretty much the flagship Serato controller currently BUT I would personally wait as I get the feeling we are at a critical moment where it is shit or get off the pot for a few companies. Denon needs to get their shit together as they have the product but NOT the support......... the blame is strong and direct here if they fail. It is definitely getting to that point for Rane to make a move as you can't expect to stay relevant nor can you continue keeping the lights on without following up their most current releases which are not ALL that current anymore. Roland made a great move IMO and they are solidifying their footing in the live performance arena. Pioneer has some work to do (if wish to continue residing in Serato land) with their SRT as well as moving forward but they generally do as they are professionals at making money. Even things elsewhere are leaving question marks such as Native Instruments and Allen & Heath.......... Time to make moves!!!
Mr. Goodkat 3:20 AM - 16 September, 2019
deejay dave really thinks alot about music gear
Logisticalstyles 2:50 PM - 16 September, 2019
Quote:
They do! It just comes in three peices.

Yep!
deejdave 9:01 PM - 16 September, 2019
Quote:
deejay dave really thinks alot about music gear

Always. Was just on a Hiatus from Serato gear for a bit. Got burned by the DJM-900SRT/900Nexus debacle and have been afraid to make any serato purchases since LOL. I am fully back on the wagon though :)
Lebron Sinclair 9:28 PM - 16 September, 2019
I’m switching to Rekordbox. Some people made some great points about the state of dj equipment. And it’s just fact that pioneer is standard. My ultimate aim is to be a club Dj. And rekordbox has more functionality. I’m sold. Hate to say it, but goodbye rekordbox.
deejdave 10:31 PM - 16 September, 2019
You can't switch to Rekordbox and say good by to Rekordbox LOL. FWIW if you do pursue the nightclub industry you will quickly notice Traktor is king overseas and Serato is king in the states and CDJ's/DJM are standard everywhere............. Rekordbox is kind of still in its infancy. While it is loaded to the brim and just adding more every update it just does not have the "flow" we are blessed to have with Serato.
Lebron Sinclair 12:27 AM - 17 September, 2019
Quote:
You can't switch to Rekordbox and say good by to Rekordbox LOL. FWIW if you do pursue the nightclub industry you will quickly notice Traktor is king overseas and Serato is king in the states and CDJ's/DJM are standard everywhere............. Rekordbox is kind of still in its infancy. While it is loaded to the brim and just adding more every update it just does not have the "flow" we are blessed to have with Serato.

Lol meant to say goodbye serato. Interesting what you said about the standard. I do see a lot of people using traktor overseas.

But I also see a lot of them using the CDJs. My thought would be to use rekordbox with CDJs in all honesty. I love turntables but at the end of the day I’m not a big time scratch Dj. We know Pioneer has to be working on something to at least be equal with Denon. I’ll just wait for that and practice on the controller.
kvnkrz 9:01 PM - 17 September, 2019
Paddle triggers for FX from now on, on everything !!!!