DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Bassboss DJ21s subwoofer vs... need help to decide

djcrap 5:48 PM - 13 August, 2019
I already ordered a pair of bassboss dv12 micromains but I need help to decide which bassboss subwoofer with chest pounding bass i should pair the micromains with!

Any suggestions or reviews from owners of a bass boss sub or an in person hearing experience at an event or demo of bass boss subs at the dj expo ( this year bassboss demo at dj expo in Atlantic City New Jersey this week aug 12th I wonder if any body is attending I would like to hear their thoughts after the demo)

So far am leaning towards a 21 inch subwoofer! Here are my dilemmas after looking at the specs

1. Dj21s powered bassboss sub goes down up to 24hertz
Frequency wise ( weight and size of the sub is very close to the size of the yorkville ls1208 18 inch subwoofer) so this sub fits in the trunk of a small suv

2.vs21 bassboss sub is 42 more pounds heavier than the Dj21s plus the vs21 is bigger and can no fit in a small suv just guessing here. But is 20 pounds lighter than the ls2100p elite yorkville subwoofer.

3. My current subs are two qsc to me when couple together the bass produced is still not enough in my book. which Is why I pan on selling and upgrading to one bass boss sub. Am wondering if that is a bad idea.

Cost is note an issue
djcrap 5:55 PM - 13 August, 2019
If any body also owns a Dj21s sub I would like to here their thoughts like a one single Dj21s vs a pair of kw181 qscs.

Or even one 18” bass boss sub vs 2 kw181 subs

Would like to hear thoughts on that too
deejaybman 6:29 PM - 13 August, 2019
You’re gonna need a bigger car lol. I attended a BassBoss demo and fell in love with the ZV28 and the VS21. All of the other subs like the single 15 and 18 I didn’t care for.
deejaybman 6:37 PM - 13 August, 2019
A friend of mine owns a ZV28 and is able to put his in the back of his SUV.
djcrap 6:46 PM - 13 August, 2019
Quote:
A friend of mine owns a ZV28 and is able to put his in the back of his SUV.

That thing is huge

ZV28 Dual 18" Powered Subwoofer Specifications:

Speaker Configuration
Active/passive: Active
Type: Subwoofer
LF driver: Dual 18"
MF driver: Not applicable
HF driver: Not applicable
Power
Amplifier class: D
Wattage: 4,000W RMS
Mixer/preamp: Not applicable
Audio
Frequency response: 21Hz–90Hz
Coverage pattern: 360°
Max SPL: 134 dB
Inputs
XLR: 1
TRS: Not applicable
TS: Not applicable
RCA: Not applicable
SPEAKON: Not applicable
Outputs
Enclosure
Cabinet material: 18 mm Baltic Birch
Width: 42"
Height: 22.5"
Depth: 42"
Weight: 240 lb.
djcrap 7:11 PM - 13 August, 2019
Quote:
You’re gonna need a bigger car lol. I attended a BassBoss demo and fell in love with the ZV28 and the VS21. All of the other subs like the single 15 and 18 I didn’t care for.

Did you get a chance to here the Dj21s by chance?
On all the demo vids am seeing on line they never demo it. The only one they demo is the vs21

The Dj21s looks promising like the baby brother of The vs21 but less weight and smaller size. Which makes me wonder if it’s as good as the vs21

DJ21S 21" Powered Subwoofer Specifications:

Speaker Configuration
LF driver: 21"
Power
Wattage: 2,400W RMS
Audio
Frequency response: 24Hz - 90Hz
Coverage pattern: Omnideirectional
Max SPL: 132 dB
Inputs
Outputs
Enclosure
Cabinet material: 15 mm Baltic Birch plywood
Width: 24"
Height: 35"
Depth: 24"
Weight: 138 lb.
deejaybman 7:16 PM - 13 August, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

Did you get a chance to here the Dj21s by chance?
On all the demo vids am seeing on line they never demo it. The only one they demo is the vs21

The Dj21s looks promising like the baby brother of The vs21 but less weight and smaller size. Which makes me wonder if it’s as good as the vs21

DJ21S 21" Powered Subwoofer Specifications:

Speaker Configuration
LF driver: 21"
Power
Wattage: 2,400W RMS
Audio
Frequency response: 24Hz - 90Hz
Coverage pattern: Omnideirectional
Max SPL: 132 dB
Inputs
Outputs
Enclosure
Cabinet material: 15 mm Baltic Birch plywood
Width: 24"
Height: 35"
Depth: 24"
Weight: 138 lb.

Nope they didn’t have that there. Just the single 15, 18 and the VS21 for single subs.
Logisticalstyles 7:49 PM - 13 August, 2019
I'm not familiar with the DJ21S but BassBoss sponsored our annual DJs Day Out event last month and they bought out two of the SSP118 SUB and two of the DV12 MICROMAIN. They had the whole park sounding good. At the end of the event they cut the subs and let the DV12 MICROMAIN play by themselves and they still sounded really good. Everyone in attendance was impressed. The only drawback IMO was the price tag and how much power they drew. They needed their own dedicated outlet.
Johnnynights 8:18 PM - 13 August, 2019
I own 1 bassboss ssp218 and I highly recommend it...I only bring out on my bigger gigs or just when I feel is right too cuz I love the sound of it lol...

I have used many of there subs but I want to ask what kind of music do you usually play?

The ssp series I feel like is more punchy and if you play many genres these are the subs for you...I usually play many genres...

The zv28 goes much deeper than my ssp218 and I feel like its more smoother...the one I feel like has best of both is the vs21...

Cant go wrong with any of there subs...I'm trying to save up for some dv12s lol
Johnnynights 8:21 PM - 13 August, 2019
Also before I owned,2 srx818sp and sold them..it takes about 4 of those to maybe keep up with the ssp218...
DJ Reflex 2:00 AM - 14 August, 2019
I have 3 Bassboss SSP 118 subs. I love them. I would recommend few individual subs rather than dual 18's. Reasons: Modular - you can use what you need for the event. Smaller - duh. Although I have not used it yet, I want to try the cardioid mode on these things. I've blasted a baseball field with all three, but it was pretty bass heavy on stage too. I want to try again with cardioid and hear the difference on stage. A single (dual 18") cabinet will not allow cardioid configuration. Good luck with whatever you purchase. I'm sure it will sound great.
Johnnynights 3:07 AM - 14 August, 2019
Quote:
I have 3 Bassboss SSP 118 subs. I love them. I would recommend few individual subs rather than dual 18's. Reasons: Modular - you can use what you need for the event. Smaller - duh. Although I have not used it yet, I want to try the cardioid mode on these things. I've blasted a baseball field with all three, but it was pretty bass heavy on stage too. I want to try again with cardioid and hear the difference on stage. A single (dual 18") cabinet will not allow cardioid configuration. Good luck with whatever you purchase. I'm sure it will sound great.

+1 on getting individual...only thing is that they are more pricey like that...I got a deal on my ssp218 I couldn't pass on..lately I been wanting to pick one ssp118..
Johnnynights 3:10 AM - 14 August, 2019
Hey Reflex what tops are you using with the ssp118s?
Hugabone 3:20 AM - 14 August, 2019
Quote:

Single 15"? I know they were working on coming out with it but I haven't seen anything on it. I'm using two VS21's but unfortunately I haven't used them both at the same time yet.
DJ Reflex 6:36 AM - 15 August, 2019
Quote:

Don't laugh, but Mackie SRM 450s. I used them for mobile stuff with some QSC subs for years. I had to have 3 QSC HPR181 subs to match. Now, just one Bassboss is on par with a set of 2 Mackies. I did a show recently with 4 tops and two subs... I had to increase the volume on the Mackies to keep up with the bass!
I'd love to hear a set of DV12's, but I still love the Mackies and own several sets. Maybe a system overhaul is in order soon?!? LoL
DJ Reflex 6:38 AM - 15 August, 2019
I know it might be a trivial point to make, but every DJ who hears my system is always impressed by the sub. I had one prominent DJ in my area ask at a gig - "Is all that bass coming out of that one box?" - YUP!
Johnnynights 4:41 PM - 15 August, 2019
Quote:
<div class="quote pl pr pt pb bg-l" readability="7">

Don't laugh, but Mackie SRM 450s. I used them for mobile stuff with some QSC subs for years. I had to have 3 QSC HPR181 subs to match. Now, just one Bassboss is on par with a set of 2 Mackies. I did a show recently with 4 tops and two subs... I had to increase the volume on the Mackies to keep up with the bass!
I'd love to hear a set of DV12's, but I still love the Mackies and own several sets. Maybe a system overhaul is in order soon?!? LoL
Anything is good im using srx815p..them subs do pack a lot of bass...now I want to get a single ssp118 for smaller gigs because my ssp218 is too much sometimes lol..is like having 4 subs..and dont want to be moving a big sub around on smaller gigs...if the dv12s weren't so pricey I would have probably had a set already lol.
Johnnynights 4:43 PM - 15 August, 2019
@Reflex clients have came up to me and told me that sub sounds awesome and that it reminds them when they gone to concerts lol
Hugabone 4:51 PM - 15 August, 2019
Watch out, Bassboss has quad 21's in a cabinet that weighs 400lb coming to a town near you.
Johnnynights 5:04 PM - 15 August, 2019
Oh dang quad 21s...I can just imagine how they going to sound.
Hugabone 5:07 PM - 15 August, 2019
Quote:
Oh dang quad 21s...I can just imagine how they going to sound.

Same here, they won't be for mobile use I'm sure.
djcrap 9:00 PM - 26 August, 2019
Thanks for everybody is info and participation it was really helpful in deciding what to get.

My review for the dv12 micromains So Far i got the micromains tested one of them in full range mode. Holy shit speakers!!!!! It sounded like as if a fu*k*n sub was attached to it music sounded so pleasing to my ears. Am telling you that you guys were right Just watching videos on YouTube doesn’t do the dv12 micro mains any justice ! You have to hear these dv12s in person. Little bit heavy and expensive but worth every penny. I can’t wait to Test them on a gig.

For subwoofer I had decided to go with the Dj21s but Sami from bass boss changed my option choice after he sent me an email letting me know that that sub was soon heading in retirement.
Hey Ivan,

I saw your order for the DJ21S and wanted to reach out to advise that the DJ21S is headed into retirement.

The DJ21S was specifically aimed at deep deep bass music, such as dubstep and glitch hop. During product demos and expos, we have found that 99% of customers were much more satisfied and impressed by the SSP118-MKII. The DJ21S in my opinion lacks kick and punch. The SSP118-MKII subwoofer is proven to be vastly superior in nearly all genres of music, especially when the combination of deep bass and punch/kick is desired. There is plenty of kick and low frequency extension with the SSP, so have no worries on deep bass reproduction. Attached in PDF is SSP118-MKII product cut-sheet. I personally own four SSP118s and deploy anywhere from one to four depending on the event.

I also find the VS21 to be extremely satisfying, as it provides even deeper reach, more impact, and a bit more SPL that an SSP118.

Honestly, after many side by side comparisons, I find the VS21 and SSP118s to be the most rounded and satisfying subs in our line. The DJ21S always came in last for me.

After the review above from Sami at bassboss combined with the info of the speaker talk and bassbose subs. I have just officially ordered the vs21
djcrap 9:16 PM - 26 August, 2019
Bass boss customer service and care follow up is the best ever. This guys remind me of how Rane customer service back in the day was. You can tell that they have a lot of passion in the products they sale and also to make sure they help you make the right decision to buy what your are looking for. Am impressed.
djcrap 9:36 PM - 26 August, 2019
Quote:
I own 1 bassboss ssp218 and I highly recommend it...I only bring out on my bigger gigs or just when I feel is right too cuz I love the sound of it lol...

I have used many of there subs but I want to ask what kind of music do you usually play?

The ssp series I feel like is more punchy and if you play many genres these are the subs for you...I usually play many genres...

The zv28 goes much deeper than my ssp218 and I feel like its more smoother...the one I feel like has best of both is the vs21...

Cant go wrong with any of there subs...I'm trying to save up for some dv12s lol

I play so many genres basically open format like Latin music, hip hop, reggae, African music, house, Brazilian music e.tc

I decided so settle on the vs21 since it’s kind of a hybrid and 180 pound s heavy plus leave on third floor with no elevator. But 2 flights of stairs.

Lol am going to need an electric hand truck with a for lift

Watchm.youtube.com

or probably that mobile hand truck stair crawler model

Watchm.youtube.com
djcrap 9:37 PM - 26 August, 2019
For = fork lift
djcrap 9:41 PM - 26 August, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

Single 15"? I know they were working on coming out with it but I haven't seen anything on it. I'm using two VS21's but unfortunately I haven't used them both at the same time yet.

How does the single vs21 sound?
Hugabone 10:17 PM - 26 August, 2019
The VS21 hits hard, goes deep and has the chest thump. I will be using both on an upcoming gig but it that will be for live sound. I'm looking into getting the DV12's one day. One of the reasons I didnt get either of the DJS's subs was due to aesthetics.
Hugabone 10:20 PM - 26 August, 2019
Oh, I can fit two VS21's in my Ford explorer, controller and two tops in the front seat but not much else.
Johnnynights 6:15 AM - 27 August, 2019
I love my ssp218 but since sometimes I have smaller gigs I want to pick up a single ssp118...

I Agree Sami is a cool guy...he takes care of you best customer service..

He told me bassboss is coming out with a 15"single compact sub.
577er 1:40 PM - 27 August, 2019
Quote:
He told me bassboss is coming out with a 15"single compact sub.

Curious about this. I hope it’s lighter than a KW181 otherwise what’s the point?
DJ Reflex 1:25 AM - 28 August, 2019
^^ True ^^
I did eventually mount caster wheels to two of my SSP118's. They are much easier to transport now, but I have to watch the rattling issue. I skipped out on mounting wheel to my 3rd one because of the cardiod mode option. (I don't want wheels facing the audience.) For now, I have to use the little cart.
Taipanic 6:24 PM - 30 August, 2019
My recommended tops:
JTR Noesis 3TX
Danley SM80
Yamaha DSR112