DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

How old is too old to be DJing nightclubs

mojo_scotland 11:04 AM - 17 July, 2019
Just something i had a conversation with someone recently.

These are COMMERCIAL NIGHTCLUBS playing chart, edm, RnB etc

In my current residency there are DJs on the rota that are..

37 years old (me) - 35 years old - 47 years old - 39 years old - 48 years old.

The venue has a opinion that age doesnt matter as long as they are good enough.

The clubs target demographic is 18-30 years old.

Whats people opinions on 'being too old to DJ nightclubs' - are these DJ's too old, no matter how good they are ?

Granted visiting them as a crowd member at this age is a different discussion completely.

Thanks
mojo_scotland 1:02 PM - 17 July, 2019
Also,

What about from the social aspect / opinion. IE: The DJ's being old enough to be the crowds parents ?
577er 7:38 PM - 17 July, 2019
You’d re too old to DJ in commercial night clubs when you are too old to give a shit and keep up with music and culture.

Fortunately DJing is one of those things you usually get better at the longer you have been doing it - especially with underground music.

As a business owner you should be more concerned with quality reliable staff than someone’s opinion about your employees unless it’s an “image” / “eye candy” job like stripper or model.

I notice it’s always the younger DJs who are looking for a stand in / someone to cover for them - not a good look from a employer’s perspective.

Every club is different so this might not apply to clubs that depend on social media to draw a crowd or who are looking for new nights to bubble up, but I see the established clubs with 10 or 20+ years don’t shy away from older DJs and those clubs are obviously making bank.
popnwave 8:06 PM - 18 July, 2019
Quote:
You’d re too old to DJ in commercial night clubs when you are too old to give a shit and keep up with music and culture.

Yep, there are genres I've left behind, that's for sure, but still plenty of niches for me at 40 that I love and will play out.
pdidy 11:53 PM - 18 July, 2019
Quote:

The end.....
pdidy 12:04 AM - 19 July, 2019
DAVID RODIGAN: 40 YEARS......and still bangin
youtu.be
RonDu 10:43 PM - 19 July, 2019
Quote:
DAVID RODIGAN: 40 YEARS......and still bangin
youtu.be

Classic
DJ Dub (DC's Own) 4:48 PM - 31 July, 2019
François K 65 years young:
youtu.be
Mr. Goodkat 7:21 PM - 1 August, 2019
BoogieMan34950 3:31 PM - 3 August, 2019
65 years young & still rocking the house.
AdamW 10:00 PM - 4 August, 2019
never to old
Culprit 2:09 PM - 8 August, 2019
Quote:

Amen!
djsatony 9:11 PM - 15 August, 2019
I remember listening to the dj city podcast and they’ve mentioned how most of the top dj’s are in there late 30’s.