Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Who's using Loop Rolls with beat length > 1 ???

Djkom 3:48 PM - 3 July, 2019
I'm curious to know if any DJ use Rolls with beath length > 1
Because currently a lot of DJs including me, are just using Rolls from 1/16 to 1/2,
so basically only 4 pads ... so the other 4 pads are quite useless in this mode !

I would like to remap the 4 other pads to FX to act like PAD FX mode in Rekordbox, but having the same beat length for the 3 FX slot just doesn't make sense.

My question: Is there a special midi setting to trigger a FX with an independent beat length at the same time ?
dj_soo 7:16 PM - 4 July, 2019
I think it depends on the controller.

On some, you can remap specific pages to certain functions. On others, remapping the pads overwrites every page which is pretty useless imo.

I wish they would separate the loop roll and auto loop lengths personally. It sucks having to scroll back and forth between the long lengths for loops and the short lengths for loop rolls.

The way the dicers mapped was perfect since the lengths were just hard coded to the lengths rather than sharing the lengths.

I’ve been using the beatjump a lot which takes the lower 4 pads in the roll mode and changes them to beatjump controls, but on the 72, if you use the remapping in software, it takes over every page.

I’m sure you could edit the midi XML file to do the behaviour you’d want, but that’s so far beyond my knowledge base.
acemc 6:26 AM - 19 August, 2019
The only reason I can see for having anything longer than 1, is purely to allow a quick auto loop reset. Autoloop values should def be separate from roll values. God knows how many times I've hit auto loop after using loop roll only to get a 1/4 auto loop and ruin my mix!! I can't help but wonder if the guys at serato ever actually test their software in real live situations. Surely they should realise how poorly this type of workflow has been implemented. It's just an accident waiting to happen!
&Midge 7:34 AM - 19 August, 2019
Serato introduced PAD FX way before Rekordbox was even born. I never found it was very usable though... [

quote]I wish they would separate the loop roll and auto loop lengths personally. It sucks having to scroll back and forth between the long lengths for loops and the short lengths for loop rolls.

The way the dicers mapped was perfect since the lengths were just hard coded to the lengths rather than sharing the lengths.

^^^^^ nail on the head!
Raef 8:54 AM - 19 August, 2019
Quote:
God knows how many times I've hit auto loop after using loop roll only to get a 1/4 auto loop and ruin my mix!! I can't help but wonder if the guys at serato ever actually test their software in real live situations. Surely they should realise how poorly this type of workflow has been implemented. It's just an accident waiting to happen!

+1000000 Yes yes yes! When I'm smashing out an awesome roll into a mix transition, hit auto loop it and it totally messes up the mix. Serato needs to separate this without a doubt.
dj_soo 9:06 AM - 19 August, 2019
I've pretty much stopped using autoloop at this point and just use beatjump instead while leaving the rolls on short (not that i use rolls that much anymore).
&Midge 9:20 AM - 19 August, 2019
I stop using loop rolls when beat jump came out.
Raef 9:22 AM - 19 August, 2019
Quote:
I've pretty much stopped using autoloop at this point and just use beatjump instead while leaving the rolls on short (not that i use rolls that much anymore).
I can see what you're doing there but it would be annoying having to press a button to jump back every 4 beats to do a manual loop effectively. If it works for you though then kudos :)
acemc 9:44 AM - 19 August, 2019
The solution to this problem is really so simple, it blows my mind that Serato haven't implemented it like this to start with.... let us select a default auto loop length in the settings. Then no matter what loop roll we use, whenever we press the auto loop button it gives us an auto loop of the desired length we specified in the settings.
Raef 10:13 AM - 19 August, 2019
Quote:
The solution to this problem is really so simple, it blows my mind that Serato haven't implemented it like this to start with.... let us select a default auto loop length in the settings. Then no matter what loop roll we use, whenever we press the auto loop button it gives us an auto loop of the desired length we specified in the settings.

Serato.... this is needed ASAP. Easily implemented next to the quantize length dropdown list in settings. Just call it 'Auto-Loop length' and set it from 1/16 all the way to 32 beats and include one setting that says "Manual". User selects their preferred length (e.g 4 beats), then when they activate the loop, they can either 1/2 or 2x the loop. The "Manual" length chosen would act in the current way the DDJSX2/3 works where the user selects the loop length prior to activating the loop. This also would be amazing to customize the new DDJ1000SRT '4 Beat Loop' button to a users preferred desired length.
PFFABG 10:14 AM - 19 August, 2019
I have my loops set from 1/8 to 16.

This works well for me. Top row for doing loop rolls. Bottom row for setting the loop length for auto loops
Djkom 10:47 AM - 19 August, 2019
Quote:
Serato introduced PAD FX way before Rekordbox was even born. I never found it was very usable though...

Have you ever played with RKDJ PadFX ?? If you did you can't even think SDJ has made something similar...
The PadFX you mention were available only with the Vestax VCI 380 (ITCH) and Reloop Neon (SDJ) and were mainly "hardware hack".

PadFX in RKDJ is available for any hadware and even in computer only mode. It's way more pratical and fun !!

Regarding the auto loop, there is a setting in SSJ to set to default 4 beat loop or current beat length. I prefer the default 4 beat loop because it the typical minimun song beat structure. When I need a longer beat length I just click quickly on the 2x button.
Raef 11:00 AM - 19 August, 2019
Quote:
PadFX in RKDJ is...way more pratical and fun !!
100% agree with this. The customisation available on RBDJ as a whole is next level compared to SDJ-I'm sure it's made a lot of users make the switch to RBDJ when the DDJ1000 was initially released.

Quote:
Regarding the auto loop, there is a setting in SSJ to set to default 4 beat loop or current beat length.
Where? When? How? Please explain how to set this with the current version of SDJ.
Robbie O 2:27 PM - 19 August, 2019
can you elaborate on the pad fx? Us Serato die-hard don't understand lol. Thought it was just as simple as the VCI-380 but you say other wise
Raef 3:08 PM - 19 August, 2019
Quote:
can you elaborate on the pad fx? Us Serato die-hard don't understand lol. Thought it was just as simple as the VCI-380 but you say other wise
youtu.be go to 3:48 and it explains it. It’s nothing exciting tbh whereas RBDJ pad fx is fun to use.
Djkom 3:29 PM - 19 August, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Regarding the auto loop, there is a setting in SSJ to set to default 4 beat loop or current beat length.
Where? When? How? Please explain how to set this with the current version of SDJ.

My bad, it's not a direct SDJ setting. This is a setting on my DJM S9 utility application 😔

youtu.be
acemc 3:30 PM - 19 August, 2019
Quote:
My bad, it's not a direct SDJ setting.

Damn!! I was really hoping I overlooked something!
dj_soo 4:01 AM - 20 August, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
I can see what you're doing there but it would be annoying having to press a button to jump back every 4 beats to do a manual loop effectively. If it works for you though then kudos :)

Honestly I don't mind. I usually leave it set to 4 or 8 bars (16 or 32 beats) and just use that. Keeps me a little more engaged in the song having to hit it every so often and it's actually a little less forgiving than loops where if you forget to disengage the loop, you have to wait an additional cycle.

Quote:
Have you ever played with RKDJ PadFX ?? If you did you can't even think SDJ has made something similar...

The original SR had a padFX mode that was actually sort of the precursor to the Rekordbox PadFX - albeit more rudimentary.