DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Predator 3500 Watt Super Quiet Inverter Generator from Harbor Freight Review

pdidy 11:30 PM - 2 July, 2019
So if you can't afford a Honda EU3000is with Inverter technology & super quiet www.citationsupport.com for $2000 this review is for you.....

I recently purchased the Predator 3500 Watt Super Quiet Inverter Generator www.harborfreight.com from Harbor Freight for $700 to power my sound system.

Test # 1.
2 X JTR captivator 218pro www.jtrspeakers.com
4 D&B Technologies IG4T www.dbtechnologies.com

This is equivalent to 4 X 18in subs and 4 X 12in tops.
At max output, this system can handle about 500 outdoors.
At max output, the system pulled 14amp of the generators Maximum 25amps.

So far I'm extremely impressed with the generator's performance and it gets great reviews from real users that are NOT SPONSERED. Watchwww.youtube.com
The generator is also very easy to maintain even if you have no experience what so ever. Watchwww.youtube.com
SG SOUNDS 11:19 AM - 5 July, 2019
Quote:
So if you can't afford a Honda EU3000is with Inverter technology & super quiet www.citationsupport.com for $2000 this review is for you.....

I recently purchased the Predator 3500 Watt Super Quiet Inverter Generator www.harborfreight.com from Harbor Freight for $700 to power my sound system.

Test # 1.
2 X JTR captivator 218pro www.jtrspeakers.com
4 D&B Technologies IG4T www.dbtechnologies.com

This is equivalent to 4 X 18in subs and 4 X 12in tops.
At max output, this system can handle about 500 outdoors.
At max output, the system pulled 14amp of the generators Maximum 25amps.

So far I'm extremely impressed with the generator's performance and it gets great reviews from real users that are NOT SPONSERED. Watchwww.youtube.com
The generator is also very easy to maintain even if you have no experience what so ever. Watchwww.youtube.com

Was seriously debating on getting the EU3000is for my jtr/linearesearch set up, but seeing your post above I'm gonna give the predator a serious look

Question does the predator have a 30amp out?
pdidy 2:25 PM - 6 July, 2019
Quote:
Question does the predator have a 30amp out?

both the honda and predator have 30amp sockets but the actual amps is 25 for both.
pdidy 2:43 PM - 6 July, 2019
its so quiet you can literally run it right next to you or the system and not here it.
photos.app.goo.gl
SG SOUNDS 5:53 PM - 6 July, 2019
Quote:
its so quiet you can literally run it right next to you or the system and not here it.
photos.app.goo.gl

wow, good to know, will definitely invest in one..all the reviews I'm seeing online comparing to the honda the preadator is almost identical to the honda in features.

I was looking at the eu5000is to buy, but my amps for my jtr rig is so dam efficient I'm thinking the 35000 will be just fine.
Culprit 5:27 AM - 8 July, 2019
Good stuff here, thanks for posting this! Need a generator for camping trips
DJ Val-BKNY11203 7:09 PM - 8 July, 2019
Good looking. Now I have reason to purchase something from Harbor Freight on Black Friday.
pdidy 9:20 PM - 8 July, 2019
BTW, The break-in process at 8 & 25 hours is crazy easy, I have zero experience maintaining generators or motors but this was so very simple anyone can do it. There's a lot of youtube vids also.
HighTopFade 4:29 AM - 9 July, 2019
Awesome. Thanks for sharing.
Rebelguy 8:19 PM - 9 July, 2019
Quote:
photos.app.goo.gl

How far away would you recommend the generator to be if you were going to use it for a wedding ceremony in an outdoor setting?
pdidy 10:29 PM - 9 July, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
photos.app.goo.gl

How far away would you recommend the generator to be if you were going to use it for a wedding ceremony in an outdoor setting?

depends on your current ambient noise level, you will likely only notice it if your surroundings are totally silent. While music is being played you won't notice it unless you are standing 3 ft away. The sound it does make is not annoying like the typical generators we've heard our entire lives.
KimberlyA 7:28 PM - 8 April, 2020
Honda generators are renowned for reliability and quiet operation. Briggs & Stratton has a very good network of dealers and parts are readily available. The same can not be said for other offshore built systems. inverterreview.com
pdidy 11:30 PM - 8 April, 2020
Quote:
Honda generators are renowned for reliability and quiet operation. Briggs & Stratton has a very good network of dealers and parts are readily available. The same can not be said for other offshore built systems. inverterreview.com

Which one do you own? post a detailed review right here along with the model numbers of gear you are running on it. Please include photos and vids if you have them.
pdidy 11:45 PM - 8 April, 2020
Quote:
The same can not be said for other offshore built systems.

But isn't Briggs & Stratton and Honda are built in china????
DJ GaFFle 12:37 PM - 16 April, 2020
Nice post. Definitely follow up with reliability posts!
Phuture2 12:43 PM - 21 April, 2020
All of the engines are all built in china. The differences which ones can you get replacement parts for. And no the engines are not the same for every generator. Buy from a reliable company. There is crap china and there are better facilities that are over seen by the manufacturer of the equipment.
djMcClaren 1:57 AM - 14 June, 2021
Hi! Pdidy I'm a total beginner. I had seen some inverter generators eg. Generac, Wen, Predator 3500, Honda,Westinghouse, and Cummins.
Can you explain in detail where to plug in the wire. I noticed that all of these inverter generators have two 110 sockets. Do I use one socket and plug the other end into a surge protector? Or use both sockets with two surge protector? No one had explained what goes into what, especially dj equipments. I really appreciate your help.
Thanks
Taipanic 6:20 PM - 9 July, 2021
Just to add to the thread. I've had my Predator for about 3 years now. Make sure to always use non-ethanol gas or make sure you use a fuel additive/stabilizer. If you notice it revving or not running smooth it is probably because the carb/needle is gunked up. It's a good idea to clean the jet a couple of times a year, in addition to making sure the air filter is clean.
djMcClaren 2:32 AM - 10 July, 2021
Thanks for the info on the Predator 3500 Inverter Generator. I know more or less what to buy. What do you think about Wen 3800 Inverter Generator and the Champion 4650 Inverter Generator?
DJ Reflex 5:27 AM - 10 July, 2021
I do a lot of wedding ceremonies out in the middle of corn fields and forest preserves that have no AC power. I bought a small (about the size of a lunch box) power unit. It's battery operated, solar power & AC charging, and delivers 300 watts for up to 3 hours.

It's definitely NOT for heavy loads and major sound gear, but if you need portable power (and completely silent) for a small system, you might want to check it out...

4patriots.com

They sell the big brother too, but this thing has been a lifesaver this season!
djMcClaren 11:26 PM - 14 July, 2021
When djing with an Inverter generator, What mode is best? The Eco Mode or Full Mode. Thanks.
pdidy 9:11 PM - 15 July, 2021
Typically run in Full Mode, I only use eco for small jobs with low power requirements. If there is a noise issue or limited gas eco is a good option.