Serato Studio General Discussion

Talk about anything Serato Studio, music production, plugins and supported hardware

Standalone Price.

J..B.. 11:20 AM - 20 June, 2019
Hi All,

I've been using Serato Sample since it was released and I absolutely love it. I didn't know Serato had ventured into the DAW world until I received an email today regarding the release of 'Studio'.

Excited was an understatement, that was, until I saw that it's a monthly subscription.

I know that most folk on here will probably not agree with me as a lot of music products nowadays are done on a subscription basis, but I really feel that there should be a one off standalone price/payment for people who want to buy/use Serato Studio without getting the monthly 'sound' content.

I know that some DAWs are subscription based but others aren't and I'm from the days when I used to make a one off purchase and I'm done. Which, by the way still is the case with some products.

I've been looking around for years (no exaggeration) for a simple to use, yet powerful DAW as I'm sick and tired of over complicated products that spend more time crashing than allowing you to be creative (Studio One being a supreme example of this). So when I saw that Serato had released 'Studio' I got genuinely excited but I won't purchase it via subscription.

If I use this product for the next 10 years why should or would I pay minimum $1000 dollars for it? Prices will obviously rise over the years with inflation so that price will grow annually.

Just give me the option of paying a fixed one off amount, and then let me pay for any extra content as and when I want it. Maybe even charge every couple of years for certain larger updates. This would also show commitment from Serato, that they intend the product to be a long term thing and won't just scrap it for the next product a year or so down the line.

Subscription based plans really don't take long term users of a product into consideration and seem to just go after a more short term revenue stream.

I think Serato should consider different payment options. A subscription for users who want monthly content, and a one off payment for others who don't.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents.

Take it easy everyone and have a great day.
J..B.. 6:00 PM - 20 June, 2019
I've just watched a clip on YouTube (First Look: 'Serato Studio' Music Production Software | Tips and Tricks) from March this year, and virtually every comment is regarding the ridiculousness of this product being offered on subscription.

Had I seen this clip previously then I wouldn't have written my main post above, as when I wrote it, I thought I was voicing something new. Still, it's good to see others are of the same mindset as I am.

Take it easy.

P.S It would've been great if Serato had have actually focused on updates for 'Sample' which is a brilliant product, instead of just coming with something brand new.
Dagobert 8:20 PM - 20 June, 2019
I thought I oversaw the standalone license price and hence checked the forum here.
To make it short: I will not buy a subscription, won't even bother looking further into the product.
DJ Unique 5:18 AM - 21 June, 2019
LOL...

Subscription based is dead on arrival.
Other solutions already in the market for a very long time.
iwaiwa 8:24 PM - 21 June, 2019
There are lots of us who paid the original price for Serato Sample which hasn't gotten any updates in a long time.

I was always wondering why there was no 'loop' capability (in Serato Sample) until figuring out that a MIDI Sequencer (in a DAW) will do the looping fine.

Thus, Serato Studio is the actual update/upgrade from Serato Sample (in many ways) because it has it's own Sequencer and Loops are easily done by repeating segments in a Scene or in the Song Sequencer.

I agree that not giving users a choice to purchase Serato Studio is a questionable practice and probably triggered by Serato watching software companies (rake in the bucks) like Adobe and Microsoft charging (over time) $thousands for something that would have cost $hundreds in a one-time purchase.

Reality is that: (not all), but a lot of DAW software companies add Sample Packs, an instrument, and a couple of effects and call that a 'new improved version' and charge $149 for that every year.

I think part of the situation is the increasing cost of living worldwide (in general) and cost to keep good application developers.

In my opinion Serato completely abandoned Serato Sample users (who paid full price), never mentioned anything in the Forums about the Future of Serato Sample.

Serato (at a minimum) should have offered Serato Sample users an 'upgrade path' of 6.99 versus 9.99 (annual) monthly cost. It is the Serato Sample users who cleared the way (and vision) for Serato Studio. All that sales / marketing hype and then nothing ("later dudes") for Serato Sample users.

Serato Sample users were left in the dust and got no respect (in my opinion). Makes one wonder why companies disrespect their users so quickly as they promise the next 'new and great -- you gotta have this'.

But, I must give Serato credit on how they put Serato Studio together and the design / functionality decisions they made. I think they identified a valuable (potential) niche that is: 'beyond the limits of what digital DJing is capable of' and much easier and focused then a 'full-on (designed to handle everything) DAW production software'. If users want to start something from scratch they can with Serato Studio, but a lot of people will use this a Remix app (which is much easier than chopping up audio clips (and placing clips in an Arranger Timeline) in Ableton, Cubase, Logic, FLStudio, etc.

-- just wish Serato was fair to the Serato Sample users who already made a purchase investment in this path.

Cheers.

iwaiwa
DJ Jonasty 11:30 AM - 24 June, 2019
I've played with Studio and it's cool to be able to produce with DJ hardware. In my case this is with an S9.

But I still stink as a producer and probably always will bits it's fun to try and put ideas together I'd like to keep using Studio but won't pay for a subscription model. I'll just use Serato sample inside Ableton.

I think the team really nailed this thing and I wish it all the best. I imagine we will see some change in pricing given the backlash if comments so far.
r.b. 5:25 PM - 25 June, 2019
I was interested until I saw the subscription model.

NOPE!

I'll stick to my super cheap MixCraft 8 Pro and MixBus 5.

i paid for it and can use it forever. What were you thinking Serato!
iwaiwa 6:01 PM - 25 June, 2019
honestly, I think Serato will just keep pursuing the Subscription and see how many people sign up

In my opinion, the software is really good (and possibly 'genius') for it's intended purpose.

I own and use (nearly) every DAW (except Logic and Protools) and can see that a non-subscription price would likely be 249 or 299 (in terms of the quality of what has been designed), but reality is that people won't want to pay more than $149 or even $119.

While the Serato Studio design and goals are fabulous, I think the marketers are at a bit at a loss: because they were/are relying on subscriptions to justify the cost of development and upkeep, as well as profit (hopefully).

Personally, I don't want or need any Sound Packs.

I think if Serato gave the option of No Sound Packs at 1/2 current subscription price, they will be fine and people will understand.

The last thing I need is for Serato to become another Native Instruments 'Sounds' (or LoopMasters) and have the 'same' popular Genres like Trap, Future Bass, Hip Hop, Techno over and over and over again (every month) versus 'I'll "dig" and find my own samples' thank you.

Thus, maybe Serato can 'save face', meet their subscription sign up goals and we can all move forward with 1/2 price subscription cost when No Monthly Samples included.

But, I think the marketers are focused on the new / next gen users 'wanna beees'

like, the marketers are aiming for this crowd (plus 'one step above'):

Watchwww.youtube.com

(My) Reality is this is amazing software for remixing and trying remixes (to see how they sound) without needed to go through all the steps involved in a DAW. Serato's Pitch n Time is nearly the best sounding algo. Try time-stretching in some other DAWs and compare. Serato Studio imports a song and knows BPM and Key, not all DAWs can do this, nor this easily.

There is some very advanced stuff in Serato Studio, I hope it survives and cost-justifies itself. 1/2 price subscriptions with No Sound Packs (except the Starter Pack) I think is the way to get many on board and be cool with the need for subscription.
aRKayeM 6:41 PM - 25 June, 2019
Quote:
Hi All,
what he said!
I've been using Serato Sample since it was released and I absolutely love it. I didn't know Serato had ventured into the DAW world until I received an email today regarding the release of 'Studio'.

Excited was an understatement, that was, until I saw that it's a monthly subscription.

I know that most folk on here will probably not agree with me as a lot of music products nowadays are done on a subscription basis, but I really feel that there should be a one off standalone price/payment for people who want to buy/use Serato Studio without getting the monthly 'sound' content.

I know that some DAWs are subscription based but others aren't and I'm from the days when I used to make a one off purchase and I'm done. Which, by the way still is the case with some products.

I've been looking around for years (no exaggeration) for a simple to use, yet powerful DAW as I'm sick and tired of over complicated products that spend more time crashing than allowing you to be creative (Studio One being a supreme example of this). So when I saw that Serato had released 'Studio' I got genuinely excited but I won't purchase it via subscription.

If I use this product for the next 10 years why should or would I pay minimum $1000 dollars for it? Prices will obviously rise over the years with inflation so that price will grow annually.

Just give me the option of paying a fixed one off amount, and then let me pay for any extra content as and when I want it. Maybe even charge every couple of years for certain larger updates. This would also show commitment from Serato, that they intend the product to be a long term thing and won't just scrap it for the next product a year or so down the line.

Subscription based plans really don't take long term users of a product into consideration and seem to just go after a more short term revenue stream.

I think Serato should consider different payment options. A subscription for users who want monthly content, and a one off payment for others who don't.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents.

Take it easy everyone and have a great day.
DJ Unique 8:09 PM - 25 June, 2019
I would prefer a one-time purchase and the option to purchase sound packs as needed. I can continue using Acid Pro or Ableton, which was paid for a long time ago.
RussOne 2:26 AM - 26 June, 2019
I was super excited to get this til I saw this was a subscription based purchase. Sorry, that definitely does not work for me financially. Besides, I appreciate digging for my own sound content.
metroplex2005 8:12 PM - 26 June, 2019
A subscription based model is not an option for me, totally a no-no-go.
I prefere a full price package.
Dj Megabreak 6:59 PM - 27 June, 2019
I prefer to pay more and prefer a full version.
There are also many alternatives from reputable manufacturers who also offer full version.
M.adaM 6:45 PM - 29 June, 2019
I own the sounds I need Samples from Mars total bundle for example.
Not really need any more. In the near future.

Would be nice to have a different options, then a subscription based pricing.
babek 2:59 PM - 9 September, 2019
so i skip Adobe Products and i must skip Serato Studio... i dont support this price method.
AKIEM 11:54 AM - 1 October, 2019
i hate it
Justincase 9:37 PM - 10 October, 2019
Quote:
so i skip Adobe Products and i must skip Serato Studio... i dont support this price method.

As a photographer , videographer and graphic artist. Theres no way I could skip Adobe. I budget fro the subcriptions but it would be nice to just pay one time