DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Djing with an iPad, next evolution ?

Djkom 8:14 PM - 7 June, 2019
We see more and more powerfull dj app for iPad.
Last iPads are trully beast when it comes to UI and audio processing....so it's maybe time for Serato to make a real iOs dj app !!

N.I with Traktor DJ 2, Algroriddim with Djay and Pioneer with WeDJ have already invested the Game and I must admit it's very promising !!!

I like having another device instead of my mac for djing. IPads are light weigth, ultraportable and versatile.
Music management is also better on iPads, beat grids, crates, cues points edition is much easier with a touch screen.

With iOs 13 we will be able to use USB storage so there is no longer any excuse to not fully use an iPad...

iPads are no longer toys !!!

Serato team will you wait years and years (like day mode an play count) before bringing this on the table ?

What do you think guys ?
popnwave 11:29 PM - 7 June, 2019
I think with the branching of iPadOS we may see something interesting come down the pipeline.
popnwave 11:32 PM - 7 June, 2019
Personally I'd like to see a legit USB-C dock that plays nice with new USB-C DJ equipment. I am sure as hell not going to be an early adopter and have to deal with tons of dongles.
577er 1:53 AM - 8 June, 2019
I’ve just picked up a 2017 iPadPro 12.9” to play around with Djay and I have to say it’s not bad. Obviously no good for tricks using the touch screen but for weddings and events where loops and echo / filter / blend type transitions are all that’s needed it’s decent. A solid backup for wedding DJs for sure!
Djkom 6:31 PM - 8 June, 2019
Quote:
I’ve just picked up a 2017 iPadPro 12.9” to play around with Djay and I have to say it’s not bad. Obviously no good for tricks using the touch screen but for weddings and events where loops and echo / filter / blend type transitions are all that’s needed it’s decent. A solid backup for wedding DJs for sure!

Of course, djing with only the touch screen is kinda cumbersome, but associated to controllers or pro setup, things are getting interesting !
kip 10:10 PM - 8 June, 2019
ios 13 will allow for external usb storage.
popnwave 3:23 AM - 9 June, 2019
Quote:

You want to have a USB-C thumb drive sticking out the side of the iPad while you DJ?

Needs to be a dock of some sort that works well before I cross that river.
kip 7:18 AM - 9 June, 2019
HDD/SSD also. We have yet to see what adapters they might come up with. But powered hub shouldn't be a prob.
Djkom 9:24 AM - 9 June, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

You want to have a USB-C thumb drive sticking out the side of the iPad while you DJ?

Needs to be a dock of some sort that works well before I cross that river.

Any USB C hub will do the job, that's the power of using universal connection !
stratoferris 5:52 PM - 16 June, 2019
Agree iPads are on the horizon..New iPad Pro benchmarks 18000 yes yes 18000 faster than most MacBook pro's.. This is why they are editing 4k video with LumaFusion with iPads ...just killer video and CPU power. I use Djay with an iPad Pro(2017) and a Denon MC7000....It rivals Serato and Traktor and add the Video and new Remix section its just killer. Serato needs to evolve to the iPad and not just a controller for a laptop software (nice but....) The resources spent on Serato Studio is a waste...they should have made an iOS app.
With iPad OS coming and the ability to use external storage is going to be huge for iPad users. Unfortunately most people have no idea and think iPads are for email and netflix they are like 3 years behind the times. Even NI sees this and made a cross platform app for iOS and OSX .
Cataylst for those who don't know allows apps to be ported to iOS and Vice Versa. If NI opens Traktor up to outside controllers ..which they will have to to survive because I know no-one buys NI gear anymore they will already be in the game with a decent app.
Serato could port to an iOS app in about 2 weeks! I'm surprised they haven't started asking for Beta Testers.
The other thing they could do is aggressively pursue and useable streaming service like Apple Music or Spotify, if Algoriddim can lock up Spotify with the using there API Serato should be able to do the same. Of coarse that being said everyone wants to download tracks to go...Pulselocker was great for that, of coarse, Greedy Beatport is trying survive by charging a ridiculous amount to have that pleasure.
Clubs and venues will just have to provide a stable WiFI signal as a MUST for the future. Have you ever seen the Network setup at Burning Man it rivals Corp. servers and they are in the middle of the desert. Djs using the excuse they don't trust WIFI connection are being - ( insert what you will here)
For those in the know its just a waiting game ...we know the benefits of 1LB of power and what it can do....we are just way ahead of the curve
Djkom 8:31 PM - 16 June, 2019
Quote:
Agree iPads are on the horizon..New iPad Pro benchmarks 18000 yes yes 18000 faster than most MacBook pro's.. This is why they are editing 4k video with LumaFusion with iPads ...just killer video and CPU power. I use Djay with an iPad Pro(2017) and a Denon MC7000....It rivals Serato and Traktor and add the Video and new Remix section its just killer. Serato needs to evolve to the iPad and not just a controller for a laptop software (nice but....) The resources spent on Serato Studio is a waste...they should have made an iOS app.
With iPad OS coming and the ability to use external storage is going to be huge for iPad users. Unfortunately most people have no idea and think iPads are for email and netflix they are like 3 years behind the times. Even NI sees this and made a cross platform app for iOS and OSX .
Cataylst for those who don't know allows apps to be ported to iOS and Vice Versa. If NI opens Traktor up to outside controllers ..which they will have to to survive because I know no-one buys NI gear anymore they will already be in the game with a decent app.
Serato could port to an iOS app in about 2 weeks! I'm surprised they haven't started asking for Beta Testers.
The other thing they could do is aggressively pursue and useable streaming service like Apple Music or Spotify, if Algoriddim can lock up Spotify with the using there API Serato should be able to do the same. Of coarse that being said everyone wants to download tracks to go...Pulselocker was great for that, of coarse, Greedy Beatport is trying survive by charging a ridiculous amount to have that pleasure.
Clubs and venues will just have to provide a stable WiFI signal as a MUST for the future. Have you ever seen the Network setup at Burning Man it rivals Corp. servers and they are in the middle of the desert. Djs using the excuse they don't trust WIFI connection are being - ( insert what you will here)
For those in the know its just a waiting game ...we know the benefits of 1LB of power and what it can do....we are just way ahead of the curve

Very good analysis 👏🏾
Logisticalstyles 10:30 PM - 16 June, 2019
Quote:

For now I'll just use my Surface Pro. I still use my Macbook Pro as my main DJing machine but I'm slowly getting used to using my Surface Pro for DJing and production work.
Rebelguy 3:35 AM - 17 June, 2019
Isn’t this step in the evolution of DJing already skipped with the introduction of the Denon Prime 4? I am sure Pioneer will release a competitor and the need for an iPad or laptop will pretty much be done.
577er 4:25 AM - 17 June, 2019
The prime 4 looks amazing but an iPad is much more portable / useful. If I could run serato on an iPad that would be amazing. Djay is still not professional grade but does a lot of things very well. All in all more options the better.
Djkom 7:50 AM - 17 June, 2019
Quote:
Isn’t this step in the evolution of DJing already skipped with the introduction of the Denon Prime 4? I am sure Pioneer will release a competitor and the need for an iPad or laptop will pretty much be done.

You still need a computer with a prime4 to manage the tracks...
And when you realize the prime4 has a 10" touch screen with wifi capabilities...hum...it's mostly like it's a simple controller with a tablet built-in with less features than a separate controller + an iPad.
I'm not saying the primes series are useless neither a bad evolution, but an iPad + a controller is way more Powerfull and handy IMO.