DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

How to should I charge to DJ between Band intermissions

DJ Sonjee 4:45 PM - 17 May, 2019
How to should I charge to DJ between Band intermissions, I live in Maryland
pdidy 10:26 PM - 21 May, 2019
Quote:
How to should I charge to DJ between Band intermissions, I live in Maryland

The same as without the band.
DJ Sonjee 10:30 PM - 21 May, 2019
ok thanks, that's what I thought, time is time
Ollie 6:26 PM - 22 May, 2019
Same as if you were djing the whole time. You always have to be on stand by just in case
the band can't play.
GrandDad 5:53 PM - 7 June, 2019
Quote:
Same as if you were djing the whole time. You always have to be on stand by just in case
the band can't play.

My significant other sings for an R&B/jazz cover band. They are all accomplished musicians, the band has a full horn section. The whole band gets less per gig than I would make DJing solo. I've never gigged with them, but considering it for generating some business. I don't think your suggestion applies in my situation, but I'd like further input from you or anybody else.
577er 7:00 PM - 7 June, 2019
It’s all about opportunity cost. What are (day of the week X) worth to you to keep open for a normal DJ booking. If it’s a Monday that might be very little but Saturday is Saturday so you charge your normal peak rate.

If you expect to get “exposure” by playing filler music between bands and or sets you are in for a rude awakening. Very few bands want the DJ between sets to be as fun as the band. They will turn you down and the crowd will hit the bar. Unless the band can flow in and out of you playing (extremely rare) and you can avoid stepping on their toes musically (also very rare).

If you just want experience playing out then it’s probably worth it.
Chris81 2:28 PM - 10 June, 2019
Quote:
If you expect to get “exposure” by playing filler music between bands and or sets you are in for a rude awakening. Very few bands want the DJ between sets to be as fun as the band. They will turn you down and the crowd will hit the bar. Unless the band can flow in and out of you playing (extremely rare) and you can avoid stepping on their toes musically (also very rare).

Absolutely agree.

I've played guitar for over 20 years. Musos can be incredibly frustrating and ego-driven, much like many DJs. However unlike DJs musos look down upon the other skillset, whereas DJs usually have an appreciation for live performers. I just sit on the fence and focus on the music.