Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Phase DJ Is Complete Garbage

SwanPoop 4:05 PM - 22 April, 2019
First and foremost, the manufacturing on these units are complete junk. Like, really? It took over a year of delays for this garbage? My remotes constantly fall out of sync, one of the remotes dies after about 1.5 hours of use and the latency is very noticeable. Not to mention the size and inconvenience of these butt ugly large remotes which keep getting in my way every time I try and mix. Based on the delays and BS I have already had to deal with these things are certainly going on craigslist for $50 at most. Makes you appreciate and respect normal DVS all over again….. Anyone else experiencing similar issues?
Clubber1970 4:15 PM - 22 April, 2019
Is this Aptidda/XY ?
SwanPoop 4:18 PM - 22 April, 2019
Quote:
Is this Aptidda/XY ?

Am I who? Do you have Phase and experience the same issues?
Mr. Goodkat 5:46 PM - 22 April, 2019
its aptidda
SwanPoop 5:50 PM - 22 April, 2019
Quote:
its aptidda

sounds great! I heard he was a legend around these parts.
AKIEM 6:07 PM - 22 April, 2019
smh
SwanPoop 6:09 PM - 22 April, 2019
Quote:
smh

FML
The Return of Dj Sparky 6:33 PM - 22 April, 2019
we know you don't even have phase, will we add this to the list of imaginary equipment you have
SwanPoop 6:38 PM - 22 April, 2019
Quote:
we know you don't even have phase, will we add this to the list of imaginary equipment you have

64 GB of Ram Sparky, 64 GB of Ram....
YZ 7:15 PM - 22 April, 2019
Seriouis question, isn't there a Phase forum you guys can post at... why are you posting all your fails here?
YZ 7:20 PM - 22 April, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Is this Aptidda/XY ?

... it's amazing in this day and age how fanbwoyz get so delusionally emotional about their purchases that god forbid someone has an actual issue going on.
SwanPoop 8:04 PM - 22 April, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Is this Aptidda/XY ?

... it's amazing in this day and age how fanbwoyz get so delusionally emotional about their purchases that god forbid someone has an actual issue going on.

for sure, pretty upset with this hardware. I mean, I waited years and years, for this? Fail x infinite.
DJ JulioYEG 5:02 AM - 23 April, 2019
lol.
Culprit 5:46 AM - 23 April, 2019
Years to complain like a lonely side chick?
DJ Tecniq 6:06 AM - 23 April, 2019
Jazzy Jeff ain’t complaining. Quit your bitching Phase isn’t for you.
HK1200 1:27 PM - 23 April, 2019
If your remote is dying that quickly, contact whomever you purchased it from for a warranty exchange. The internal battery pack likely has an issue on your particular unit and needs to be replaced. It's only going to get worse, so deal with it now while you still can.

It's not like Phase is manufacturing their own batteries. They're sourcing them from somewhere and cost is a factor, so just be glad they aren't going thermal and burning your studio down.
HK1200 1:34 PM - 23 April, 2019
Quote:
Jazzy Jeff ain’t complaining. Quit your bitching Phase isn’t for you.

I'm not taking sides, but not for nothing, all of these big name dj's repping phase and it isn't until they're in the end users hands that people find they jump to internal after 20 min and have pitch issues and whatnot. Makes you wonder if the headliners actually used the product for any length of time or just cashed the check and claimed greatness.

Not shitting on em. It's a first run, issues are to be somewhat expected, but funny how problems never seem to effect the sponsored artists during pre-release.
So Fresh 2:06 PM - 23 April, 2019
going through the motions with phase support and I'm 100% sure I need and want a replacement but its proving to be more difficult than I would hope. The reseller has passed over responsibility to phase so I'm having to send over videos and repeat the problems over and over.

basically 1 remote is not working, tried all the workarounds discharge charging overnight etc etc

Easter weekend did not help which is fair enough but by the looks of it, Some of the products they have sent out are defective and not user error. I'm not saying all but some

If these issues can be fixed by firmware they should put up their hands and admit the issue publically and give out some dates
AKIEM 4:27 PM - 23 April, 2019
lol at dates
HK1200 5:53 PM - 23 April, 2019
Quote:
going through the motions with phase support and I'm 100% sure I need and want a replacement but its proving to be more difficult than I would hope. The reseller has passed over responsibility to phase so I'm having to send over videos and repeat the problems over and over.

basically 1 remote is not working, tried all the workarounds discharge charging overnight etc etc

Easter weekend did not help which is fair enough but by the looks of it, Some of the products they have sent out are defective and not user error. I'm not saying all but some

If these issues can be fixed by firmware they should put up their hands and admit the issue publically and give out some dates

Where did you buy from, so I remember to never shop there.
DJ Tecniq 7:08 PM - 23 April, 2019
Quote:
Doesn’t really matter where you buy it comes straight from Phase factory then shipped to retail. Could of been a faulty unit w/some bad quality control sprinkled in.
Dj cuervo 7:47 PM - 23 April, 2019
Remove the USER and phase will work!!!! Sale it and stop your crying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So Fresh 7:55 PM - 23 April, 2019
Are you saying all the people who are having problems are down to user error?

Quote:
Remove the USER and phase will work!!!! Sale it and stop your crying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HK1200 7:56 PM - 23 April, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Doesn’t really matter where you buy it comes straight from Phase factory then shipped to retail. Could of been a faulty unit w/some bad quality control sprinkled in.
It matters to me. If I buy from your company and you have a return policy, it's on you to make it right if it's jacked up out of the box. Drop shipped or not.
popnwave 8:51 PM - 23 April, 2019
There's probably a certain % with bad batteries, that's a given with any device.
HK1200 8:54 PM - 23 April, 2019
Quote:
There's probably a certain % with bad batteries, that's a given with any device.

Yup. It happens, especially with smaller companies that don't have the resources to ensure they're always getting top tier cells.
Culprit 9:26 PM - 23 April, 2019
at the namm show debut the number one complaint was range. It had to be damn near right up on top of the back of the mixer for it to stay in sync and function correctly.
Despo 2:04 AM - 24 April, 2019
dunno man, range seems alright to me. Caved in and bought it today, good shit.
HK1200 2:21 AM - 24 April, 2019
I'm sure namm had a ton of wireless stuff competing for the same airspace, which may have contributed to the range issues. Conceivably anyway. Something to maybe keep in mind for those planning on using them in similar types of environments.
DJ Tecniq 3:21 AM - 24 April, 2019
Here’s what’s interesting. The pitch issue w/Phase doesn’t seem to be affecting Rekordbox users but on Serato the bpm value at 0 lock is not in sync and consistent on both decks. Is this because DVS bpm fluctuation is better on Rekordbox? Anyone w/Phase care to test this. Would love to call out Serato on this as I always thought the bpm fluctuation in Scratchlive was much better than SDJ. Thoughts🤔
Clubber1970 5:36 AM - 24 April, 2019
And maybe someone can test the pitch issue with Traktor as well?
Despo 6:30 AM - 24 April, 2019
Got a workaround for the pitch issue. Go into your settings app and set the timecode not to serato but to custom. Play around with the value, 993hz works for me getting the pitch zeroed. Then when you take out the phase remotes out of the reciever, hold them in your hands for a awhile before you put them down on the record.

That works for me
Mr. Goodkat 7:37 AM - 24 April, 2019
Quote:
Here’s what’s interesting. The pitch issue w/Phase doesn’t seem to be affecting Rekordbox users but on Serato the bpm value at 0 lock is not in sync and consistent on both decks. Is this because DVS bpm fluctuation is better on Rekordbox? Anyone w/Phase care to test this. Would love to call out Serato on this as I always thought the bpm fluctuation in Scratchlive was much better than SDJ. Thoughts🤔

Whats the odds of any turntable being able to zero out at a perfect 0.0 pitch? im not saying it cant happen, but most peoples turntable are going to be off to a certain extent, i i would assume that even digital turntables could be off to a small extent.

im not saying im right, just seems it would be natural for slightly fluctuation on a ten year turntable that gets moved around(to gigs) and is probably not on perfectly flat surface.

Ive personally had to get techs recalibrated. Analog just doesnt tend to be perfect. Anyone that uses analog synths knows this
Illiment 1:56 PM - 24 April, 2019
Quote:

Ive personally had to get techs recalibrated. Analog just doesnt tend to be perfect. Anyone that uses analog synths knows this

Personally the minor pitch issue hasn't bothered me much, (honestly 0.02 of a % isn't the end of the world) and i'm used to it from playing on turntables with traditional DVS setups anyway. Not having to ride the pitch and it not fluctuating as much when playing is the main thing for me.
HK1200 2:00 PM - 24 April, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

Personally the minor pitch issue hasn't bothered me much, (honestly 0.02 of a % isn't the end of the world) and i'm used to it from playing on turntables with traditional DVS setups anyway. Not having to ride the pitch and it not fluctuating as much when playing is the main thing for me.
how does phase keep pitch from fluctuating when it's rotation is TT dependent?
AKIEM 2:41 PM - 24 April, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

it uses advanced dj perception technology
DJ Tecniq 2:45 PM - 24 April, 2019
Quote:
It knows which DJ is using sync
evanslynk 5:23 PM - 24 April, 2019
Nice troll post.
Illiment 12:50 AM - 25 April, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

it probably doesn't completely.. but it's a lot more solid than dvs with needles/tonearms. Especially with anti-drift enabled.
HK1200 1:24 AM - 25 April, 2019
Is that proven, or just a feeling on the matter? They're both using a tone, both tied to the rotation of the tt and the slipmats relative slipperiness. I'm not seeing how one would be more accurate than the other, but I'm interested to know more.
DJ JulioYEG 4:46 AM - 25 April, 2019
Quote:
Nice troll post.

in order to post here, you gotta take the phase remote out of your ass first chief
SwanPoop 4:56 PM - 25 April, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Nice troll post.

in order to post here, you gotta take the phase remote out of your ass first chief

Preach! Can I get an Amen?
khy 8:03 PM - 25 April, 2019
Quote:

where'd you buy from?
Despo 10:09 PM - 25 April, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

where'd you buy from?

flipware
Golden Bloggen 11:34 PM - 25 April, 2019
Quote:

I am having similar issues. My Phase will not boot up or work with Serato. They are 100% charged and calibrated, but nothing is happening. I might have a defective pair, but have gotten ZERO response from Phase in almost a week.
YZ 7:57 PM - 26 April, 2019
Quote:
at the namm show debut the number one complaint was range. It had to be damn near right up on top of the back of the mixer for it to stay in sync and function correctly.
It's wireless. Microwaves, cell phones, wifi routers... anything with a wireless signal or shit with electric in the vicinity can and will interfere with another wireless signal at some point, it's unavoidable. That's why this tech is caveman shit. Someone like inMusic will release a similar product soon and this experiment will be just a beta memory.
Mr. Goodkat 8:25 PM - 26 April, 2019
how many inmusic employees are posting here?
aleksey 11:02 AM - 29 April, 2019
I actually like phase a lot. But I've observed two issues so far (they seem to be common):

- random switch to int mode
- pitch at 0% is a little bit off (< 0.9%)

Besides that, it works like a charm. Battery lifetime when constantly used is around ~6 hrs. for my units.

If people have faulty units, then they should send it in (as one would usually do with DOA products). I don't understand all the hate here.
So Fresh 12:15 PM - 29 April, 2019
mine was DOA, just received my refund 5 mins ago

really hope they sort out the technical problems that some are having and improve customer service.

I luckily bought via a reseller I hope the people who bought DOA units are being taken off
crockdabeat 1:58 PM - 29 April, 2019
I am getting mine tomorrow. By the way hello. Been lurking as far back as the 2018 Phaase thread. I get mine tomorrow. They are shipped.

I will report. We have a jam with some serious TTlist Wednesday night. There have definitely been some people who say that for mixing there might be about a .5 drift but only some have it which leads to a probable hardware issue which means not fixable by firmware.

That said, I’ll letcha y’all know Wednesday. EITHER WAY, the haters should stop hating, inMusic will be making something similar anyway. It’s WAAYYY too popular.

A little nothing company from France who has never made a product of note before has the hottest selling item on the market. GC and SA didn’t even have them in their radar but companies like ikniwdj have sold their first allotment of 90 with back orders alone. Companies can’t even change their websites to “out of stock” fast enough so they are selling like crazy which at a minimum means they are wanted and the market will produce what is wanted and it’s close enough that a bigger company will get it right or another will get it.

I have been a DJ since before the first DVS, and I can tell you when what took me years and years of practice went out the door with a “sync” and “key match” button I had the same butt hurt feelings as some of y’all.

If you’re not remixing on the fly but doing nothing but heart signs in the middle of your show, not really impressed by your gripes. Go on YT and watch Bastid, Craze, Q, Jazzy Jeff, and more all flipping over the tech and get back to me.

I’ll be with a couple of the afore mentioned on the Wednesday get together.

MOST of the crap I read in the other thread was wrong so that’s why I registered but I found this thread. Anyone ALREADY hating on this new incredible tech is just scared (not sure of what but it’s obvious). It’s not going anywhere, it’s just gonna get better. American Musical told me when I tried to order from them they HAVE NEVER IN THEIR history seen a product nove so fast, EVER! Lol.

So yeah, from this point, the only discussion of what’s wrong with it should be by a) people who have it and b) know how to use it.

I have b but a won’t be until Tuesday night. I’m not getting rid of my vinyl or my vinyl tones but you’ll never see me on CDJs, playing mp3s (if you’re not part of the solution, you’re part of the problem), and even if they drift and that actually is a real issue, I’ll continue to mix without them but I already know I’ll be cutting with them.

PLUR yall. Nice to be a part of the community.
Illiment 2:19 PM - 29 April, 2019
Quote:
I actually like phase a lot. But I've observed two issues so far (they seem to be common):

Besides that, it works like a charm. Battery lifetime when constantly used is around ~6 hrs. for my units.

If people have faulty units, then they should send it in (as one would usually do with DOA products). I don't understand all the hate here.

it's an amazing product and i'm pretty confident they will iron out the issues in time The hate is ridiculous, especially on their instagram. Like they are trying to push innovation, make dj's lives easier and take YOUR game to another level by eliminating problems we've all encountered at some point or another with traditional dvs and are only there to help and all these entitled fuckbags online just spewing hate because the pitch on their phase is off by 0.02%. It's gross. A lot of you need to fix up.

I jumped on this preorder fully aware that there would be issues with the first batch, there ALWAYS is with new tech. But the payoff of not having to deal with jumping needles, feedback, struggling tonearms/bad signal etc was worth it to me and luckily my issues with Phase are really minor so far. Just the pitch and internal mode issue which is NOT a big deal at all when you compare it to the issues you get with tonearms and needles.

SMFH.

all that said, If you got a bum pair of phase remotes/reciever, guess what stupid? You can return them where you got them from and get a refund at some point then decide if you want a new pair or wait for them to fix the issues. It's not that serious. Look at the big picture.
Illiment 2:41 PM - 29 April, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
That's why this tech is caveman shit. Someone like inMusic will release a similar product soon and this experiment will be just a beta memory.

So right now it's caveman shit, but if someone at inmusic releases similar tech it's legit? Stfu dude. Lmao.
WildcardX 3:07 PM - 29 April, 2019
Quote:
A little nothing company from France who has never made a product of note before has the hottest selling item on the market. GC and SA didn’t even have them in their radar but companies like ikniwdj have sold their first allotment of 90 with back orders alone.

I mean I won't exactly call them a little nothing company since MWM are the people behind the Mixfader that is pretty much a staple in the portablist realm.

mwm-store.com
Mr. Goodkat 3:59 PM - 29 April, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
That's why this tech is caveman shit. Someone like inMusic will release a similar product soon and this experiment will be just a beta memory.

So right now it's caveman shit, but if someone at inmusic releases similar tech it's legit? Stfu dude. Lmao.

theyre some inmusic trolls here trying to act like inmusic products arent mediocre at best
Dj cuervo 6:02 PM - 29 April, 2019
Quote:

random switch to int mode - Workaround... periodically stop the turntable to reset the 15 mins timer in Serato
popnwave 6:04 PM - 29 April, 2019
Quote:

theyre some inmusic trolls here trying to act like inmusic products arent mediocre at best

Which is silly because there's a ton of people using Rane mixers with the damn things.
DJ Tecniq 6:29 PM - 29 April, 2019
Guess everyone forgot Rane = InMusic now🤔 that’s funny🤣
Illiment 9:14 PM - 29 April, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

lol makes sense.

Guess what, the more I use Phase the more I want to sell my twelves and grab a reloop rp8000mkII. Twelves actually feel pretty trash compared to phase.
Illiment 9:15 PM - 29 April, 2019
*Rane Twelves
DJ Tecniq 10:31 PM - 29 April, 2019
I jumped on the bandwagon myself. Was able to get Phase at $375 sale price. If i have issues I’ll just return it.
crockdabeat 3:01 AM - 30 April, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
A little nothing company from France who has never made a product of note before has the hottest selling item on the market. GC and SA didn’t even have them in their radar but companies like ikniwdj have sold their first allotment of 90 with back orders alone.

I mean I won't exactly call them a little nothing company since MWM are the people behind the Mixfader that is pretty much a staple in the portablist realm.

mwm-store.com

Fair enough and I didn’t realize they made the MF until I went to register my Phase today. Meanwhile, I’m so excited about the product that it got me back in the game. I haven’t broken out my tables in so long that I can’t find my SL2 box anywhere in my garage and I’ve turner that sucka out!

So I’ve got everything ready to go. Phase - check, Stanton battle mixer - check, M3Ds with literally no use - check, Serato still installed on my 2009 MBP and updated, check (I keep the serial in a TextEdit) but no damn box? Ugh? Wanna try em so bad.

Now I gotta go pay for a new Serato box because I can’t find mine. 😂 sucks.
DJ JulioYEG 3:05 AM - 30 April, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

mwm-store.com

Fair enough and I didn’t realize they made the MF until I went to register my Phase today. Meanwhile, I’m so excited about the product that it got me back in the game. I haven’t broken out my tables in so long that I can’t find my SL2 box anywhere in my garage and I’ve turner that sucka out!

So I’ve got everything ready to go. Phase - check, Stanton battle mixer - check, M3Ds with literally no use - check, Serato still installed on my 2009 MBP and updated, check (I keep the serial in a TextEdit) but no damn box? Ugh? Wanna try em so bad.

Now I gotta go pay for a new Serato box because I can’t find mine. 😂 sucks.

get a dvs ready mixer instead
AKIEM 3:48 AM - 30 April, 2019
Im waiting to hear about how phase audio is supposed to be better?

anyone?

Quote:
Twelves actually feel pretty trash compared to phase.

Mine feel comparable to 1200s - as long as you set them up right.

Whats crazy in this thread is the unnecessary TWELVE hate, not even comparable product.
Despo 4:02 AM - 30 April, 2019
twelves are alright and probably better than phase. but they're heavy and expensive af
Illiment 3:11 PM - 30 April, 2019
Quote:

anyone?

Quote:

Whats crazy in this thread is the unnecessary TWELVE hate, not even comparable product.

Please enlighten twelve owners on the right setup - The only thing that made them feel slightly better was getting rid of those heavy ass 12inchskinz discs and using regular vinyl. Other than that they still have a choppy/digital feel to them. I notice this especially when trying to do certain scratches like chirps/flares + chirp flare combos. It's subtle but it's there, it does make a difference. Phase feels as close to analog as I've ever felt. Have you tried Phase yet?
Illiment 3:19 PM - 30 April, 2019
Something like the Reloop RP8000 mkII with Phase >>>>>>>>>>>> Rane Twelve

it's not even close. Proper pads on the Reloop not that touch strip trash. Plus that analog phase feel and platter play. Not even close.
popnwave 4:23 PM - 30 April, 2019
This is like arguing stick vs automatic, neither is trash, it's about what you like at this point.
The Return of Dj Sparky 5:33 PM - 30 April, 2019
I'd like to know what your problem with phase is akiem,

They are a new enough company introducing new technology that helps the dj, but but you shit all over it and praise the Rane 12 which is nothing more then a glorified midi controller that is very lacking on the midi side

Fair enough they have had delays and issues but serato when they started where fairly shit too but they evolved
AKIEM 5:46 PM - 30 April, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

anyone?

Quote:

Please enlighten twelve owners on the right setup - The only thing that made them feel slightly better was getting rid of those heavy ass 12inchskinz discs and using regular vinyl. Other than that they still have a choppy/digital feel to them. I notice this especially when trying to do certain scratches like chirps/flares + chirp flare combos. It's subtle but it's there, it does make a difference. Phase feels as close to analog as I've ever felt. Have you tried Phase yet?

Quote:

it's not even close. Proper pads on the Reloop not that touch strip trash. Plus that analog phase feel and platter play. Not even close.

first - this is mostly subjective. And by 1200 being comparable I mean 1200+DVS. My experience is the digital artifacts with DVS are the same with the TWELVE. The early reports were that by adjusting fiddling with the spindle tension you can effect the quality. At first I didn't believe it, but tweaking might make a difference. Along with the SDJ version and maybe even some wearing in - I don't get the same digital artifacts that I did straight out the box. Its the same as DVS which isn't perfect compared to analog vinyl and subtle anyway.

I find it very hard to believe that phase *sounds* better than DVS. If it does then fine, I don't see how. Its still a control signal into hardware and into the computer where the real audio quality is managed.

Im not a turntablist so some of the specifics are not an issue for me at all. When I do scratch a chorus for example on a recording I try to use actual vinyl if possible.

I have Reloops, and the buttons are better than the strips. I don't like the 12 strips at all, Ive given Rane my feedback about that. However, I never use the buttons on the RP either.

RP + phase is heaver and more expensive that TWELVES.

The phase cons are still - the extra setup, the possible radio interference reported, the battery drain and wear which has been a problem and the spindle placement. Those problems are far greater than a subtle difference in digital artifacts with certain scratches.

And if I really thought phase "audio" was important/better, I could still buy phase and be at around the same price. Phase is an *extra cost.

But I would love to hear some recording comparisons of phase v dvs v 12 - but unless it were repeatable obvious differences it wouldnt make me any difference either. Put run phase and dvs at the same time, lets see. - but I don't trust other DJ setups or ears.

Ether way, two not comparable products, lots of subjectivity and ridiculous marketing campaign type specs, on many sides, many sides.....

I still just think its funny that there are so many attacks on 12s to try and justify phase.
Illiment 7:01 PM - 30 April, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

anyone?

Quote:

Quote:

first - this is mostly subjective. And by 1200 being comparable I mean 1200+DVS. My experience is the digital artifacts with DVS are the same with the TWELVE. The early reports were that by adjusting fiddling with the spindle tension you can effect the quality. At first I didn't believe it, but tweaking might make a difference. Along with the SDJ version and maybe even some wearing in - I don't get the same digital artifacts that I did straight out the box. Its the same as DVS which isn't perfect compared to analog vinyl and subtle anyway.

I find it very hard to believe that phase *sounds* better than DVS. If it does then fine, I don't see how. Its still a control signal into hardware and into the computer where the real audio quality is managed.

Im not a turntablist so some of the specifics are not an issue for me at all. When I do scratch a chorus for example on a recording I try to use actual vinyl if possible.

I have Reloops, and the buttons are better than the strips. I don't like the 12 strips at all, Ive given Rane my feedback about that. However, I never use the buttons on the RP either.

RP + phase is heaver and more expensive that TWELVES.

The phase cons are still - the extra setup, the possible radio interference reported, the battery drain and wear which has been a problem and the spindle placement. Those problems are far greater than a subtle difference in digital artifacts with certain scratches.

And if I really thought phase "audio" was important/better, I could still buy phase and be at around the same price. Phase is an *extra cost.

But I would love to hear some recording comparisons of phase v dvs v 12 - but unless it were repeatable obvious differences it wouldnt make me any difference either. Put run phase and dvs at the same time, lets see. - but I don't trust other DJ setups or ears.

Ether way, two not comparable products, lots of subjectivity and ridiculous marketing campaign type specs, on many sides, many sides.....

I still just think its funny that there are so many attacks on 12s to try and justify phase.

I find it hard to believe that you find it hard to believe that phase sounds better. The difference might be audibly slight, but the fact that you have a perfectly clean signal with phase in your scopes directly affects audio quality doesn't it? Even if it takes a discerning ear to tell the difference, a perfectly clean signal should (at least in theory) sound better than a fucked up distorted one that you have to tweak settings in order to make sound decent.

They intentionally marketed the twelves as the new battle standard. "Battle Ready" I believe was the tagline.

If you can't scratch/perform on something like you want to, or can on other equipment then you're a far far way from being "battle ready"
AKIEM 8:18 PM - 30 April, 2019
Quote:
I find it hard to believe that you find it hard to believe that phase sounds better. The difference might be audibly slight, but the fact that you have a perfectly clean signal with phase in your scopes directly affects audio quality doesn't it?

sigh, no. Not compared to the TWELVE. If anything the 12 signal is "cleaner" and its not Control Signal, its some sort of high resolution midi protocol. And I suspect that digital artifact at the tail end of a wind down (which I haven't heard anyone reputably claim doesn't exist with phase) is actually an SDJ software fault/limitation.

But DVS compared to phase - you can see old dirty degraded vinyl cause a signal problem (red) and still track and *sound* perfect because the AUDIO IS NOT coming from the vinyl control signal. And its so forgiving your needle can be skipping around and you will NOT hear it. DVS has a lot of tolerance for a degraded signal, far more than than actual analog vinyl. As long as you have a clean decent dvs vinyl and clean needles there is NO audio degradation. So it doesn't mater in the slightest that the phase signal is "cleaner".

Likely more to have an affect on audio is the wow and flutter which is the same across platforms (which I also like compared to controllers) and my TWELVE has less than my old 1200s. And phase will transmit that wow and flutter anyway.

Quote:

Even if it takes a discerning ear to tell the difference, a perfectly clean signal should (at least in theory) sound better than a fucked up distorted one that you have to tweak settings in order to make sound decent.

Thats simply not how it works

Quote:

They intentionally marketed the twelves as the new battle standard. "Battle Ready" I believe was the tagline.

If you can't scratch/perform on something like you want to, or can on other equipment then you're a far far way from being "battle ready"

(lol - cue burn tho?)

Well that's why I said "on many sides, many sides" all these companies spin up the magical talk. But as far as the TWELVES being battle ready, its DMC official. I doubt phase ever will be. But if so, you really think that possibly (which I don't think even exists) digital artifact difference will be heard? You think anyone is going to loose a battle because they used TWELVES instead of Phase - like the judges/crowed are ooooh did you hear that slight artifact!

If you believe Phase sounds better, and that gives you piece of mind well use it. but if you want to talk about actual facts...... but lets see some tests done, easy to do (I still wouldn't trust them less I did them myself)

The other issue I forgot is latency. For me latency is a far bigger issue, personally I would spend thousands on computer hardware to keep it low as possible. But the fact of the matter is the system with more latency is phase. Some have said its enough to be a factor others have said they don't detect any. Simple fact is that there is more, is it enough to be a problem? I don't know, but phase is an added several links in the latency chain.

Overall if I cared about what other DJs say compared to my own testing I would be using Traktor instead of Serato.

Lets see some test recordings. Put phase on the same DVS deck, and Rane TWELVE deck, record the same movements on the same files.
DJ Tecniq 8:25 PM - 30 April, 2019
Here’s my boy Mark V spinning some old school using Phase. Audio quality is fine and looks like he had no issues... 🤫
www.facebook.com
AKIEM 8:33 PM - 30 April, 2019
Quote:
Here’s my boy Mark V spinning some old school using Phase. Audio quality is fine and looks like he had no issues... 🤫
www.facebook.com

no one said phase has *audio* problems.
(sigh, how could it even?)
AKIEM 8:47 PM - 30 April, 2019
Quote:
www.facebook.com

BTW that video setup is pretty dope.

but let me ask you this: at home in the studio (I know he is showing them) but what's the advantage to Phase? You don't have to move the needle, anything else?
DJ Tecniq 8:50 PM - 30 April, 2019
Quote:
but let me ask you this: at home in the studio (I know he is showing them) but what's the advantage to Phase? You don't have to move the needle, anything else?
It's a Digital line instead of phono? You don't have to worry about needles jumping/skipping or tonearm issues.
metroplex2005 10:11 PM - 30 April, 2019
Quote:

I don't think there is anything else. Oh wait, you can do funny tricks like spinning your cv on a finger. Looks funny, makes fun, a nice toy, but not realy an advantage.

Quote:
It's a Digital line instead of phono?

Thats not an advantage, because it is not relevant. Its like controlvinyl vs. controltone on cd, Turntable vs. CD player, ect.

Quote:
You don't have to worry about needles jumping/skipping or tonearm issues.

Relative mode?

I don't wanna say that phase is useless garbage, it is a nice (expensive) toy with potential for some dope tricks in turntableism/competition. But technically, for standard djing, i can't see any advantage over the traditional DVS Setup.
dj_soo 10:36 PM - 30 April, 2019
Quote:
Relative mode?

I don't wanna say that phase is useless garbage, it is a nice (expensive) toy with potential for some dope tricks in turntableism/competition. But technically, for standard djing, i can't see any advantage over the traditional DVS Setup.

Have you ever played a setup with a shit ton of bass cabs under or in front of the stage? Have you played a set with gogo dancers bouncing around on a non-isolated booth? Desperately tried to a get a turntable with a bum rca or a bad tone arm connector to get the full signal while your playslot was approaching? Played an outdoor gig where strong winds are enough to cause your needle to skate across your record?

Relative mode doesn't help with any of that.

At the end of the day, I still want both Phase and Twelves (or hopefully a smaller version). I still prefer the idea of high resolution midi (which should improve once midi 2.0 starts getting incorporated) over timecode signals. Instantaneous pitch controls like on controllers, none of the problematic pitch n time behaviour you get on timecode, and direct control rather than the analog to digital to analog back to digital conversion you have with timecode is much preferable to me.

Likewise, having to now worry about wireless signals, battery life, and increased latency leads me to believe that phase is still a work in progress. While Phase impressed me with the low latency - especially for a wireless device - I could still feel it. I think if anything, it's the accelerometer tech from Phase that may stand the test of time. All the wireless and battery stuff is just there because people still don't want to buy new gear to replace their turntables.
AKIEM 10:48 PM - 30 April, 2019
but at home/studio if your needles are skipping.....

Quote:
It's a Digital line instead of phono?

not sure what that question means

oh yeah the 'tricks' I guess is a plus (or just a gimmick) see what people come up with.
youtu.be
crockdabeat 11:04 PM - 30 April, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
www.facebook.com

1) every broken table with a tone arm not working now is a viable piece of gear, in the world. Go buy some busted 1200s, Vestax or whatever before everyone catches on.

2) pure signal

3) No need to buy needles.

4) no need to replace needles

5) no need to clean needles or even worse have a lint skid on stage

6) no needles

7) drop your headphones on the tables and the music keeps going.

8) drunk girl comes to ask you to play a song, bumps into tables, music still plays

9) the software it comes with goes to every piece of DVS software on the market and you can even make your own, just tell the Phase software what tone you want.

10) currently inexpensive to any other controller out there that’s worth its weight.

11) Battle DJs no longer have to turn the music down from the “make a heart while I play others music” DJs.

12) Battle DJs can now cut freely in a regular mix track without worrying about bass bins and monitors on top of them.

13) can walk full speed around the tables without fear of junping.

14) This is incarnation #1 and it will only get better so stop fighting the funk. You are looking at the future.

I could go on but everything is going wireless. Wait until the box has AbleLink. Strudio possibilities are endless where things are already going wireless. All my new production gear is going wireless.

The people that hate these the most are the people that just shelled out $1600 for a pair of Rane 12s and nobody else. It’s understandable but take solice in that these are not quite ready for prime time for your average DJ because of a drop of sync issue. Look at the above video’s bpm difference and he’s using sync.

Yeah, sorry guys but to the haters, these are going nowhere fast. Even the first incarnation they can’t keep in stock. Wait until the big boys start making these. Respect to MWM. I have a pair and they are freaking amazing.

For a first out of the box revolutionary product, they are absolutely amazing.

Instead of asking why don’t we need needles, the new question is “why do we” and the new answer is we don’t. If you need to use the middle label to backspin, that’s a clear gripe right now but otherwise, sorry Rane 12 early adopters who can ONLY use Serato Pro, I almost made the same purchase and then I saw these. I can now cut again on my 1200s because the tone table with needles DOES NOT feel as good as the Phase tone. Don’t know why but is fact, well actually my opinion but to me is fact I suppose but been at this since 88 and won’t cut on digital until a week ago.

I could go on with those answers but I think you get the point.

Whatever you need to rock the house and by the way, portability? You can’t easily set up your Rane 12s at a club unless you’re a DJ with a rider otherwise you’re using what they give you and that’s usually a crappy pair of 12s and now you can just drop these puppies on it and you still have tone and vinyl should something go wtong.
crockdabeat 11:17 PM - 30 April, 2019
I don’t see where to edit but to answer someone above they go through line/cd signal which btw, is a better signal because it doesn’t need to go through a pre-amp susceptible to feedback.

Btw, I am not promoted by someone for this, nor am I a fanboy of any company. I call it like I see it and I’m feeling lucky as hell I have friends and zzounds so I was able to get my pair when people have been waiting since NAMM 2018.

Yeah line input, leaving your phono (vinyl or tone) a switch away should something go wrong with the Phases leaving you in perfect condition should something go wrong so you are set no matter what. Can’t lose and at 399, please. I can’t belive how many people think this is gimmicky. Go on YT and watch Craze, Q, Bastid, Jazzy and all the other usual suspects react.
Mr. Goodkat 11:26 PM - 30 April, 2019
pioneer will do it better for more money, inmusic will try and fail miserably
crockdabeat 11:35 PM - 30 April, 2019
Quote:
pioneer will do it better for more money, inmusic will try and fail miserably

Me?

I can particulate in any discussion but if that was directed at me, what is it you’re looking for. I’m an open book.
crockdabeat 11:37 PM - 30 April, 2019
^^^well it said “we need more details if from you if you want to participate in this discussion” to just give context to my response. I don’t see any way to edit here. I appreciate you removing that rather antagonistic remark but still, what’s up? I’d directed at me, what?
Mr. Goodkat 11:45 PM - 30 April, 2019
just making a general statement, not aiming it at you.
AKIEM 12:07 AM - 1 May, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
www.facebook.com

1) every broken table with a tone arm not working now is a viable piece of gear, in the world. Go buy some busted 1200s, Vestax or whatever before everyone catches on.

2) pure signal

3) No need to buy needles.

4) no need to replace needles

5) no need to clean needles or even worse have a lint skid on stage

6) no needles

7) drop your headphones on the tables and the music keeps going.

8) drunk girl comes to ask you to play a song, bumps into tables, music still plays

9) the software it comes with goes to every piece of DVS software on the market and you can even make your own, just tell the Phase software what tone you want.

10) currently inexpensive to any other controller out there that’s worth its weight.

11) Battle DJs no longer have to turn the music down from the “make a heart while I play others music” DJs.

12) Battle DJs can now cut freely in a regular mix track without worrying about bass bins and monitors on top of them.

13) can walk full speed around the tables without fear of junping.

14) This is incarnation #1 and it will only get better so stop fighting the funk. You are looking at the future.

I could go on but everything is going wireless. Wait until the box has AbleLink. Strudio possibilities are endless where things are already going wireless. All my new production gear is going wireless.

The people that hate these the most are the people that just shelled out $1600 for a pair of Rane 12s and nobody else. It’s understandable but take solice in that these are not quite ready for prime time for your average DJ because of a drop of sync issue. Look at the above video’s bpm difference and he’s using sync.

Yeah, sorry guys but to the haters, these are going nowhere fast. Even the first incarnation they can’t keep in stock. Wait until the big boys start making these. Respect to MWM. I have a pair and they are freaking amazing.

For a first out of the box revolutionary product, they are absolutely amazing.

Instead of asking why don’t we need needles, the new question is “why do we” and the new answer is we don’t. If you need to use the middle label to backspin, that’s a clear gripe right now but otherwise, sorry Rane 12 early adopters who can ONLY use Serato Pro, I almost made the same purchase and then I saw these. I can now cut again on my 1200s because the tone table with needles DOES NOT feel as good as the Phase tone. Don’t know why but is fact, well actually my opinion but to me is fact I suppose but been at this since 88 and won’t cut on digital until a week ago.

I could go on with those answers but I think you get the point.

Whatever you need to rock the house and by the way, portability? You can’t easily set up your Rane 12s at a club unless you’re a DJ with a rider otherwise you’re using what they give you and that’s usually a crappy pair of 12s and now you can just drop these puppies on it and you still have tone and vinyl should something go wtong.

notice, I said at home/studio

but once again it comes down to price (all things equal which arnt) personally price is not a factor. If I thought phase was a viable option I would purchase today. In fact I might just to test what I have said about audio... but... I already have various paper weights disguised as gear
crockdabeat 12:29 AM - 1 May, 2019
Well yeah but anything good for the stage is good for the studio. Myself as a hybrid normal DJ and turntablist, I can now record non vinyl cutting for the first time. I don’t know the reason yet but cutting with these through Serato is WAY better than a tone record.

I know that’s counterintuitive but it’s absolutely true and my guess is that it’s like trying to cut on a record that has too many songs on it. Sort of like you can’t cut on an LP, you need a single, well the tone on a record is too thin a groove is my only theory. I dunno but what I do know is for the first time ever I am a digital TTlist. When I wanted to show off my TT skills before, I used to have to switch to vinyl.

All that said, there have been some quality control issues on batch one including some minor drift and some battery issues that hopefully is just firmware fixable otherwise they are gonna have some problems but on pure straight use, make no mistake, these are the biggest things to hit the market since Searato itself.
AKIEM 12:40 AM - 1 May, 2019
Quote:
Well yeah but anything good for the stage is good for the studio. Myself as a hybrid normal DJ and turntablist, I can now record non vinyl cutting for the first time. I don’t know the reason yet but cutting with these through Serato is WAY better than a tone record.

taking your word for it, I find it hard to believe - because it means that the needle through the output of the turntable is a problem (latency or whatever) but the Phase transmitter to receiver to decoder to audio output is less of a problem.

There is a very simple test you could do - record a performance, phase and DVS on the same deck - same file, record compare.
crockdabeat 1:54 AM - 1 May, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

taking your word for it, I find it hard to believe - because it means that the needle through the output of the turntable is a problem (latency or whatever) but the Phase transmitter to receiver to decoder to audio output is less of a problem.

There is a very simple test you could do - record a performance, phase and DVS on the same deck - same file, record compare.

Ok, I guess you don’t know me so don’t take my word. Watch NU-Mark (Jurassic 5) and Craze, Q, Jazzy Jeff, etc

youtu.be

youtu.be
crockdabeat 1:58 AM - 1 May, 2019
NU-Mark “best vinyl I’ve ever touched in my life. it’s eerie, it’s fucking eerie”

Look at the cats who are there. If you’re a TTist, you’ll know every face on that first video.
Dj Farhan 7:06 AM - 1 May, 2019
Quote:
www.facebook.com

love it! just like mine! Watchwww.youtube.com
AKIEM 6:16 PM - 1 May, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ok, I guess you don’t know me so don’t take my word. Watch NU-Mark (Jurassic 5) and Craze, Q, Jazzy Jeff, etc

youtu.be

youtu.be

Quote:
NU-Mark “best vinyl I’ve ever touched in my life. it’s eerie, it’s fucking eerie”

Look at the cats who are there. If you’re a TTist, you’ll know every face on that first video.

im not a turntablist but i know and respect those djs. been on the same bills with two of them years ago...

but i dont trust what other djs say, especially on youtube and who get shit for free+. and those vids dont answer my questions

maybe there is no digital artifact with slow slight movements - doesnt matter, i dont ever do that

maybe there is less latency by adding more links in the chain - but i havnt seen anyone adequately explain how thats possible

im sure the circles are perfect (like from cd cs) - ok and?

if you think its worth dealing with possible battery failure, possible radio interference, hooking up extra shit and so on, fine - i don't.

perhapse its so great i will use it with my TWELVES, but i doubt it and dont see any reason currently
DJ Tecniq 6:24 PM - 1 May, 2019
Quote:
Curious why are all 4 of your channels on the controller showing LED meters? Just thought it was odd wouldn’t it be just the two t-tables?
slimmjimm 6:29 PM - 1 May, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
It's a Digital line instead of phono? You don't have to worry about needles jumping/skipping or tonearm issues.

What’s digital and not phono with Phase?
AKIEM 7:00 PM - 1 May, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What’s digital and not phono with Phase?

think he means that the CS is from a digital source on the phase receiver instead of from a vinyl record (phono out) - which doesn't make any difference with proper equipments i:e in the studio/house
dj_soo 10:44 PM - 1 May, 2019
Phase doesn't use an official control tone so it's actually not going to be as accurate as DVS since Serato utilizes the noisemap to track position and compensate for some sticker drift. The reason that Serato control records aren't a perfect circle is because they have a bunch of additional information in the tone they use to translate certain things to the software - something Phase doesn't have.
aleksey 11:58 AM - 2 May, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

random switch to int mode - Workaround... periodically stop the turntable to reset the 15 mins timer in Serato

Thanks for that hint! I always have lock playing deck on, so that I am forced to stop the turntable before loading a new track. Still, I saw that issue on my last gig.

My personal experience with Phase is super positive. I had a gig at my favorite venue which unfortunately has turntables in very bad shape. Platter and motor of both TTs are ok but the tonearm and the whole signal path from needle to soundcard is very instable, resulting in needle jumps and a very bad tracking signal in general. With Phase I was able (for the first time) to PROPERLY mix for 5 hrs. For me, the Pitch deviation is no matter at all while playing (I am matching by ear anyhow) and the random INT mode switch can be easily dealt with in case it happens (did not happen that often).

Haters gonna hate still. Haven't read any substantial arguments why Phase is sooooo bad so far (besides the moderate quality of the first batch of units produced).
Dj Farhan 1:22 PM - 2 May, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Curious why are all 4 of your channels on the controller showing LED meters? Just thought it was odd wouldn’t it be just the two t-tables?

i was running channel 1 & 2 on tts and 3 & 4 on the controller
Illiment 1:39 PM - 2 May, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for that hint! I always have lock playing deck on, so that I am forced to stop the turntable before loading a new track. Still, I saw that issue on my last gig.

My personal experience with Phase is super positive. I had a gig at my favorite venue which unfortunately has turntables in very bad shape. Platter and motor of both TTs are ok but the tonearm and the whole signal path from needle to soundcard is very instable, resulting in needle jumps and a very bad tracking signal in general. With Phase I was able (for the first time) to PROPERLY mix for 5 hrs. For me, the Pitch deviation is no matter at all while playing (I am matching by ear anyhow) and the random INT mode switch can be easily dealt with in case it happens (did not happen that often).

Haters gonna hate still. Haven't read any substantial arguments why Phase is sooooo bad so far (besides the moderate quality of the first batch of units produced).

People are the worst man. Especially entitled ass djs smh. Even the whole thing leading up to the release was pretty gross to watch with the reaction to the delays etc.

Anyway, glad to see phase works as it should more or less for you, i'm pretty much in the same boat as you - all good so far and the issues i've had are minor and i'm pretty confident they'll be fixed in the future updates.
popnwave 3:09 PM - 2 May, 2019
Quote:
People are the worst man. Especially entitled ass djs smh. Even the whole thing leading up to the release was pretty gross to watch with the reaction to the delays etc.

No, that's what they get for putting it out there prior to it actually hitting the streets. It's another way of crowd funding which isn't always successful so people tend to be very critical.

You're hovering around a nut rider at this point, they have PR people, let them do their job. Let people enjoy their TWELVES and stop acting like some stan.
Mark740215 4:49 AM - 4 May, 2019
I got a bad issue with phase . Serato freezes constantly and it never happens with my old Sure m44. I use s Mixars duo . I tried phase and Serato with my laptop and with a powerful pc but the issues is still there... any suggestion? Anybody with same issues. ? I also re installed Serato and the mixers drivers but thing remains the same .... I’m pissed off .
DJ Tecniq 5:59 AM - 4 May, 2019
What are you connecting the phase receiver to? Make sure you plug it in the wall or power strip.
Mark740215 6:11 AM - 4 May, 2019
What do you mean? The receiver must be connected to the pc USB port . Right ??
dj_soo 7:01 AM - 4 May, 2019
Receiver doesn’t need to be plugged into the laptop. It’s just outputting the control tone. Try unplugging it from your laptop and see if that helps.
Mark740215 7:46 AM - 4 May, 2019
Quote:
Receiver doesn’t need to be plugged into the laptop. It’s just outputting the control tone. Try unplugging it from your laptop and see if that helps.

Oh sh.. I thought it must be plugged to the laptop because it needs the MWM app but of course you are right : it’s not necessary ! Thanks a lot ! 👍
DJ Tecniq 8:09 AM - 4 May, 2019
Quote:
It’s best to get a usb charger and use an outlet or powerstrip this way you’re limiting the amount of usb devices you’re using.
Mark740215 6:58 AM - 5 May, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
It’s best to get a usb charger and use an outlet or powerstrip this way you’re limiting the amount of usb devices you’re using.

Hey guys, thank you very much , the problem has been solved!! I connected the receiver to a power outlet and now everything works perfect! No more freezing, no more issues, Phase is great! I'm so stupid, I thought the receiver needed the MWM app to work that's why I connected it to the laptop.... so maybe there was a conflict between the two usb devices.. damn.. By the way, thanks a lot.
deejayayup 1:45 PM - 5 May, 2019
Despite the complaints, I've made an order for Phase. I will only be using it at home anyway as I generally take a controller out.
Chino 2:51 PM - 5 May, 2019
Quote:
Despite the complaints, I've made an order for Phase. I will only be using it at home anyway as I generally take a controller out.

Congrats! I really like Phase despite some of the issues. If you have questions with setup etc hit me up
deejayayup 10:28 AM - 13 May, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

Congrats! I really like Phase despite some of the issues. If you have questions with setup etc hit me up

Cheers bro!

Got it all set up fine but it seems I got a bad batch because one remote is holding a full charge but the other is at 22% even after a long time charging.
Dj Farhan 10:30 AM - 13 May, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Cheers bro!

Got it all set up fine but it seems I got a bad batch because one remote is holding a full charge but the other is at 22% even after a long time charging.

yikes, did u contact them?
deejayayup 10:34 AM - 13 May, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Cheers bro!

yikes, did u contact them?

Sent them a tweet but it looks like a pretty inactive account. What's the best way to contact them?
Dj Farhan 10:39 AM - 13 May, 2019
email them, they r pretty responsive: support@mwm-store.com
YZ 4:45 PM - 13 May, 2019
So can we wrap all these Phase DJ posts and agree that what a few of us have been saying all this time? That this product was going to be crap since release and that you were all guinea pig's now trapped in the hype dungeon with no key to escape? Maybe Sparky can get you out?
Culprit 4:55 PM - 13 May, 2019
Quote:
So can we wrap all these Phase DJ posts and agree that what a few of us have been saying all this time? That this product was going to be crap since release and that you were all guinea pig's now trapped in the hype dungeon with no key to escape? Maybe Sparky can get you out?

If your looking for a non-argumentative response then, no I do not agree.
Mr. Goodkat 5:49 PM - 13 May, 2019
phase dj is more reliable than any inmusic product line
AKIEM 7:11 PM - 13 May, 2019
Quote:

😂
dj_soo 9:46 PM - 13 May, 2019
Quote:

i haven't had any major issues with the inmusic products I've bought. A year on the 72 with the only issue I experienced traced to a usb cable.

I've had terrible experiences with some pioneer gear, but I don't condemn their entire product line because of some issues with personal experience (other than the fact that the pioneer sound is pure shit).
Mr. Goodkat 3:08 AM - 14 May, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

i haven't had any major issues with the inmusic products I've bought. A year on the 72 with the only issue I experienced traced to a usb cable.

I've had terrible experiences with some pioneer gear, but I don't condemn their entire product line because of some issues with personal experience (other than the fact that the pioneer sound is pure shit).

tbh you really fanboy that mixer even when it has problems. i get it you like it, but they're are clearly some issue with the mixer that arent entirely great. Im not saying everything inmusic does is bad, but IMO there isnt much of a guarantee whether the product is gonna be good, bad or ok. i.e. back in the day you knew behringer dj stuff was gonna be bad, but some people bought it and had a good run with it, but they knew if if died in 6 months, thats what they would expect. Or for the most Part you can buy a pioneer mixer and expect it to last a 5+ years and if it didnt you'd be surprised. With inmusic, it just seems like a total crapshoot on every level of manufacturing, support or product quality
dj_soo 5:46 AM - 14 May, 2019
Except I've literally only experienced one problem with that mixer that was solved by switching cables.
dj_soo 5:47 AM - 14 May, 2019
the only other problems I've had with the mixer are design issues or serato issues and not technical issues.
YZ 3:41 PM - 14 May, 2019
I can't complain about InMusic at all really. When the fader carriers and buttons were flying off my 62 every week and I needed help I called them and spoke with their PM... who ended up basically sending me all sorts of replacement pieces (enough to last me up until I got the 72). The 72, I've had ZERO issues with so far.
Mr. Goodkat 4:18 PM - 14 May, 2019
Quote:
I can't complain about InMusic at all really. When the fader carriers and buttons were flying off my 62 every week and I needed help I called them and spoke with their PM... who ended up basically sending me all sorts of replacement pieces (enough to last me up until I got the 72). The 72, I've had ZERO issues with so far.

well you work for inmusic so ???
Chino 5:13 PM - 14 May, 2019
Quote:
With inmusic, it just seems like a total crapshoot on every level of manufacturing, support or product quality

Unfortunately, its not isolated to inMusic Brand. Quality control seems to be less of a priority in today's market.

Disposable products & consumers paying to be Beta testers is the trend??!! : (
YZ 5:26 PM - 14 May, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
With inmusic, it just seems like a total crapshoot on every level of manufacturing, support or product quality

Unfortunately, its not isolated to inMusic Brand. Quality control seems to be less of a priority in today's market.

Disposable products & consumers paying to be Beta testers is the trend??!! : (

Correct, doesn't seem like QA was in the Phase budget. A few of us have inside knowledge, they did nothing of the sort.
crockdabeat 6:36 AM - 15 May, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

youtu.be

youtu.be

Quote:

im not a turntablist but i know and respect those djs. been on the same bills with two of them years ago...

but i dont trust what other djs say, especially on youtube and who get shit for free+. and those vids dont answer my questions

maybe there is no digital artifact with slow slight movements - doesnt matter, i dont ever do that

maybe there is less latency by adding more links in the chain - but i havnt seen anyone adequately explain how thats possible

if you think its worth dealing with possible battery failure, possible radio interference, hooking up extra shit and so on, fine - i don't.

perhapse its so great i will use it with my TWELVES, but i doubt it and dont see any reason currently

Are you kidding? First off, one of those DJs is DJ Jazzy Jeff, and another is Q-Bert and 100s of thousands of dollars to be a spokesperson for here, Serato so he’s not saying wow and staring at them like WOW.

All those DJs are millionaires and have sponsorships and it ain’t a tiny company in MWM and if those guys aren’t giving real reactions they should quit their jobs and become actors. This isnt your friend Steve bob and Greg who can DJ, and I’ve not only been on the bill with but have booked and know well each one of those DJs and trust me, they didn’t do it for the swag that cost $399. All of them can call inMusic and ask for anything in their line and get it for free.

To Serato credit, they aren’t fighting it. If they were smart, they would try and buy this company while they can.

Those 12s you bought, I hate to tell you became obsolete the second this tech was invented. This is the first incarnation. Soon they will be the size of a sticker and charge themselves. Give it a few years. Those 12s do the exact same thing but wired and it doesn’t feel the same to TTlist to cut on the 12s as it does vinyl on whatever turntable they live. Phase has made Serato great when before it served a purpose.

Phase style is the way it will be. Rock solid. No moving parts and no loss of latency or sound. The wound is still triggered by Serato and so the wireless means nothing. Stop using mp3s, that’s what people need to do.

A new breed of tutntablist have turned into digital DJs. Ones that had put it off u til the right thing came along. The 12s were close but it still felt like a controller. The Phase almost feel better and cleaner to cut on than vinyl because you’re using the same instrument again but like with better strings or something. I’m pulling off things I just couldn’t last year.

It’s the real my friend.
crockdabeat 6:42 AM - 15 May, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

Oh sh.. I thought it must be plugged to the laptop because it needs the MWM app but of course you are right : it’s not necessary ! Thanks a lot ! 👍

I made the same mistake first but it took me one sex to realize, why am I plugging this into the computer? It can actually cause damage I heard somewhere.
DJ Tecniq 6:48 AM - 15 May, 2019
Quote:
Stop using mp3s, that’s what people need to do.
But doesn’t Phase use digital files🤔
crockdabeat 6:49 AM - 15 May, 2019
By the way, I don’t mean your 12s are bad. I shouldn’t have said obsolete earlier. So goofy.
crockdabeat 7:09 AM - 15 May, 2019
****TLDR VERSION: stop bringing in mp3s and start looking for sources to get wav, aiffs and FLACs. Tell your pools.

Quote:
Quote:
Stop using mp3s, that’s what people need to do.
But doesn’t Phase use digital files🤔

Really?

I thought this place would be full of people who understand codecs and not the run of the mill bedroom DJs.

Forget what you’re playing you’re digital files with. Let me tell you something, if I just spent millions on a show and I head a DJ on the main stage play an mp3, he would get the hook if he wa pa getting 800k. Yeah there are mp3s that are digital but it a codec (compressor, decompressor) that was made nearly 3 decades ago which was barely decent then.

They are below CD quality which is Moët-2. When you put in a cd or dvd, you have a hardware box with a CPU to unravel the compressed file.

Let me explain compression for you.

Compress log:

For every time there are three 000’s in a row this new lossless codec I’m making up will remove a 1 that is next.

Decompressor log of the CODEC : every time there are three 000,s add back a 1 (the decompression part of compressor decompressor CODEC).

Now we had the worse than CD quality HEAVY mp3 codec 30 years ago because we needed room because storage was so expensive. It would cost literally many many thousands of dollars to hold a fraction of what we have now?

So the only reason we have mp3s still is because of people like you, who incorrectly think that I was talking digital va. vinyl all snotty like with a hmmm emoji yet you don’t know 🤔 what I’m even getting at.

Mp3s are a very lossly codec which means to the uninitiated that upon decompression you don’t get the full set of 1s and 0s that creates the mp3 back. No matter what but rate or sample rate you record it at, you lose a lot off the low end, and you crunch the high ends to tin garbage. In your car, and if you can stand it, in your room, you don’t hear the difference as much you, consciously anyway but I’ve seen in clubs an mp3 DJ with one that only plays WAVS or AIFFS uncompressed or even AAC which is a better mp3. Much.

First, it’s better for your CPU, you might think “bigger file, more work for your computer”. No sir, you are dealing wiry a file that for the computer during that minute, it needs to be unraveled to that full size, but that causes CPU work. So with WAV, AIFF or even FLAC files you get better audio, better files for your CPU, and you’ll be on your way to being part of the solution.

I know every DJ doesn’t make their own music or has access to wav files vs mp3s. Believe me, I’ve brought this to the pools and beg them to stop serving DJs crap. So many decent DJs that I won’t book on small side stages because they are playing mp3s. Spread the word and start demanding a new deal because this 30 year old codec has to go. There is simply no reason for it other than so many have it. Start working towards the problem instead of some snide remark about Phase when you didn’t even know what I was saying.

Not saying throw away your MO3s, just join the anti mp3 revolution because while 10% may consciously know, I believe about all subconsciously knows what sounds better.

Peace

(Sorry for typos, too long too tighten up)
Mr. Goodkat 7:36 AM - 15 May, 2019
jfc
crockdabeat 7:45 AM - 15 May, 2019
Quote:
jfc

Yeah, I k is, the ironicness of the never ending reading generation doesn’t like bits more than a small paragraph. I put a small TLDR version for people without a thirst for knowledge they don’t have. Why not take it? No you didn’t take it, and had to comment to boot.

That your retort was a blasphemous lower case abbreviation is not lost on me.
AKIEM 11:15 AM - 15 May, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

youtu.be

youtu.be

Quote:

Are you kidding? First off, one of those DJs is DJ Jazzy Jeff, and another is Q-Bert and 100s of thousands of dollars to be a spokesperson for here, Serato so he’s not saying wow and staring at them like WOW.

All those DJs are millionaires and have sponsorships and it ain’t a tiny company in MWM and if those guys aren’t giving real reactions they should quit their jobs and become actors. This isnt your friend Steve bob and Greg who can DJ, and I’ve not only been on the bill with but have booked and know well each one of those DJs and trust me, they didn’t do it for the swag that cost $399. All of them can call inMusic and ask for anything in their line and get it for free.

To Serato credit, they aren’t fighting it. If they were smart, they would try and buy this company while they can.

Those 12s you bought, I hate to tell you became obsolete the second this tech was invented. This is the first incarnation. Soon they will be the size of a sticker and charge themselves. Give it a few years. Those 12s do the exact same thing but wired and it doesn’t feel the same to TTlist to cut on the 12s as it does vinyl on whatever turntable they live. Phase has made Serato great when before it served a purpose.

Phase style is the way it will be. Rock solid. No moving parts and no loss of latency or sound. The wound is still triggered by Serato and so the wireless means nothing. Stop using mp3s, that’s what people need to do.

A new breed of tutntablist have turned into digital DJs. Ones that had put it off u til the right thing came along. The 12s were close but it still felt like a controller. The Phase almost feel better and cleaner to cut on than vinyl because you’re using the same instrument again but like with better strings or something. I’m pulling off things I just couldn’t last year.

It’s the real my friend.

none of what ur gushing about here is a response to anything I said.

And all this ranting about mp3, no one said anything about either. 80% of my files are AIFF... lmao @ just bringing random shit up to say. Also you are wrong about cpu (at least with SSL) the developers explained mp3 was more efficient at some point (efficiency im not concerned about over quality)
AKIEM 11:17 AM - 15 May, 2019
Quote:
By the way, I don’t mean your 12s are bad. I shouldn’t have said obsolete earlier. So goofy.

👍
😂
crockdabeat 3:46 PM - 15 May, 2019
Quote:
so great i will use it shit up to say. Also you are wrong about cpu (at least with SSL) the developers explained mp3 was more efficient at some point (efficiency im not concerned about over quality)

You seriously don’t know what you’re talking about. I picked this small point to show it but a word to the wild as I won’t be spending much time on this forum I don’t think. Seems like the louder, the more wrong here, irony understood.

Mp3s are definitely more taxing on your CPU than other less demanding codecs or uncompressed PCM WAVS.

Good that you have aiffs. Keep it up!
Culprit 3:55 PM - 15 May, 2019
The biggest issue is that for record pools to serve said content they would need access to file servers that could accommodate said extreme sizes. We would need more than one reputable record pool to change the standard that would help kick start the movement but I don't see it happening. The majority of people using DJing software aren't relatively sharp when it comes to understanding how said software works with files. They just know "mp3 file good! Whats a wav file? Your funny!"
AKIEM 4:20 PM - 15 May, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
so great i will use it shit up to say. Also you are wrong about cpu (at least with SSL) the developers explained mp3 was more efficient at some point (efficiency im not concerned about over quality)

You seriously don’t know what you’re talking about. I picked this small point to show it but a word to the wild as I won’t be spending much time on this forum I don’t think. Seems like the louder, the more wrong here, irony understood.

Mp3s are definitely more taxing on your CPU than other less demanding codecs or uncompressed PCM WAVS.

Good that you have aiffs. Keep it up!

bet any amount my files are in better order than yours. you keep it up.

you picked that point because it sounds reasonable to assume mp3 is more taxing, which is what i assumed as well. but i was *informed by one of the developers that SSL was designed specifically to accommodate mp3 first. you must think the decoding happens at the play head or something... lol

either way, it doesnt matter to me, and doesnt even have anything to do with the subject. you brought it up and harp on it now because the rest of what ur yapping is hype nonsense
Mr. Goodkat 4:52 PM - 15 May, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
jfc

Yeah, I k is, the ironicness of the never ending reading generation doesn’t like bits more than a small paragraph. I put a small TLDR version for people without a thirst for knowledge they don’t have. Why not take it? No you didn’t take it, and had to comment to boot.

JFC
DJ Val-BKNY11203 4:59 PM - 15 May, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
jfc

JFC

LOL
Mr. Goodkat 5:10 PM - 15 May, 2019
Quote:
Forget what you’re playing you’re digital files with. Let me tell you something, if I just spent millions on a show and I head a DJ on the main stage play an mp3, he would get the hook if he wa pa getting 800k. Yeah there are mp3s that are digital but it a codec (compressor, decompressor) that was made nearly 3 decades ago which was barely decent then.

this is my favorite part.

'Excuse me superstar dj at mega festival, you played an mp3, and while there are 10,000 fans here to see you at this huge venue, we're gonna have to pull you off the stage because of inferior music quality. It was clearly stated in your contract that you would not play any 96 kbps rips off youtube.'
YZ 6:33 PM - 15 May, 2019
The people who complain that you should've gotten that sports car in a manual transmission instead of automatic are the same morons spitting shit about audio bitrate's. Move on already, 97% don't care.
Despo 6:41 PM - 15 May, 2019
kids these days don't give a shit about anything, doubt anyone ever complained about mp3 in a club. They listen to shit like look at me by xxxtentacion, a track so distorted it should be a crime (well that dude is dead and nobody gives a fuck about him anymore because music is so mass produced and forgettable these days but whatever)

Anyway, phase doesnt impact sound quality, except when you plug it into phono. It's a great product if you happen to own a good pair, which I do.
Culprit 8:09 PM - 15 May, 2019
Quote:
The people who complain that you should've gotten that sports car in a manual transmission instead of automatic are the same morons spitting shit about audio bitrate's. Move on already, 97% don't care.

Agreed
Laz219 9:03 PM - 15 May, 2019
Quote:

Quote:

I made the same mistake first but it took me one sex to realize, why am I plugging this into the computer? It can actually cause damage I heard somewhere.

...... No misquote necessary.
AKIEM 9:27 PM - 15 May, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

'Excuse me superstar dj at mega festival, you played an mp3, and while there are 10,000 fans here to see you at this huge venue, we're gonna have to pull you off the stage because of inferior music quality. It was clearly stated in your contract that you would not play any 96 kbps rips off youtube.'

lol

audio cuts
takes the mic

"hey folks, sorry but Super Stat DJ is done, i had to cut him short, i think i heard an mp3, i have the contract right here...."
crockdabeat 12:23 AM - 16 May, 2019
I’m not gonna sit here and debate facts with people that are a) getting their information from some engineer at Serato and b) who has no idea WHAT IN THE hell they are talking about.

The only reason this has turned into a m pissing contest about mp3s being worse than wavs, aiffs or vinyls is because someone said something that was objectively wrong.

Yeah, I’ve pulled super star DJs from shows in front of 10s of thousands because they sounded like shit for one reason or another and music quality (as in literal quality) was shit. Doesn’t happen much anymore because it’s available in good formats and usually people are playing their own shit or from others they are getting wav from the studio files.

Compares to today’s storage, wavs, aiffs or FLACs are better.

Hey SSL person who told whoever it was that they are not more taxing or anyone from Serato, do you care to say different?

Either way, I’m done. This is a dumb conversation that keeps getting dumber.

Enjoy your bedrooms.
Culprit 12:55 AM - 16 May, 2019
Quote:

you can say that again
AKIEM 2:56 AM - 16 May, 2019
Quote:
I’m not gonna sit here and debate facts with people that are a) getting their information from some engineer at Serato and b) who has no idea WHAT IN THE hell they are talking about.
a) makes sense b) emphasis on what in the
Quote:
the only reason this has turned into a m pissing contest about mp3s being worse than wavs, aiffs or vinyls is because someone said something that was objectively wrong.
it was you
bringing up old ass inconsequential codec arguments for no wins, derail topic
Quote:
Yeah, I’ve pulled super star DJs from shows in front of 10s of thousands because they sounded like shit for one reason or another and music quality (as in literal quality) was shit. Doesn’t happen much anymore because it’s available in good formats and usually people are playing their own shit or from others they are getting wav from the studio files.
vids or dint hap
Quote:
Compares to today’s storage, wavs, aiffs or FLACs are better.
...and ram, and cpu, but here you still are writting essays no one read

Quote:
Hey SSL person who told whoever it was that they are not more taxing or anyone from Serato, do you care to say different?
guaranteed not to care

Quote:

Enjoy your bedrooms.

...and studios, thanks
Mr. Goodkat 4:55 PM - 16 May, 2019
Quote:

now you can tell us what combo of drugs you were on when you wrote that. im going with meth and whiskey but maybe coke and vodka?
AKIEM 5:24 PM - 16 May, 2019
day 1: Super Star DJs, their youtube word on everything is gold wow
day 2: Super Star DJs, yup I pull them off festival stages for playing mp3

yup, drugs
YZ 7:25 PM - 16 May, 2019
Quote:
day 1: Super Star DJs, their youtube word on everything is gold wow
day 2: Super Star DJs, yup I pull them off festival stages for playing mp3

yup, drugs

Yea? Well I've had to slap several moon pie dj's on a daily basis for weeks at a time, it ain't nothing. Not sure what dude is talkin' bout? I'm the guy who throws guys like that off the stage for kicking dj's off the list.
Djj Flipp 7:28 PM - 1 June, 2019
Join and share your thoughts, experience and knowledge about the PHASE Dj Wireless DVS System.
www.facebook.com
defjamblaster 11:43 PM - 3 June, 2019
phase is fine for me, no problems
crockdabeat 1:52 AM - 22 June, 2019
Quote:
First and foremost, the manufacturing on these units are complete junk. Like, really? It took over a year of delays for this garbage? My remotes constantly fall out of sync, one of the remotes dies after about 1.5 hours of use and the latency is very noticeable. Not to mention the size and inconvenience of these butt ugly large remotes which keep getting in my way every time I try and mix. Based on the delays and BS I have already had to deal with these things are certainly going on craigslist for $50 at most. Makes you appreciate and respect normal DVS all over again….. Anyone else experiencing similar issues?

Well if you sell them for $50, there is your problem. You're not that smart.
crockdabeat 1:56 AM - 22 June, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

now you can tell us what combo of drugs you were on when you wrote that. im going with meth and whiskey but maybe coke and vodka?

The funny part is you are the one that doesn't understand the basics and yet I'm on drugs? LOL.

I miss tbe days when everyone didn't think they were a DJ or a producer. It takes more than equipment people.
crockdabeat 2:00 AM - 22 June, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

lol

audio cuts
takes the mic

"hey folks, sorry but Super Stat DJ is done, i had to cut him short, i think i heard an mp3, i have the contract right here...."

You think a promoter doesn't haver the ability to pull someone? First off, you won't find good DJs playing MP3s, not real ones, on stage, ever nowadays. You're just gonna have to trust me on this. I've been doing events since 94. Not sure why I am engaging this idiocy,
Dj Farhan 10:11 AM - 5 July, 2019
5 hrs last night, no issues:

i.imgur.com
DJ JulioYEG 11:08 PM - 10 July, 2019
Quote:
5 hrs last night, no issues:

i.imgur.com

What are using the Hercules for? Mines been sitting around for almost 9 years. are you running ssl for ur tts and sdj for ur sz. or is that vdj
Dj Farhan 5:16 PM - 13 July, 2019
hercules is backup incase my primary system crashes. ssl for ddi sz2 and Vdj for rex
khy 6:35 PM - 27 August, 2019
Quote:
hercules is backup incase my primary system crashes. ssl for ddi sz2 and Vdj for rex

your herc working now? with with version of serato and which O/S?
Dj Farhan 5:56 AM - 28 August, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

your herc working now? with with version of serato and which O/S?

nope, i use rmx with vdj
Bogans 3:09 PM - 29 September, 2019
Hey Dj Family,

I have a major issue with Phase and it's their customer service. The concept is top-notch; however, one of my remotes is not working. I have done all the different troubleshooting techniques prescribed. The problem is simple... I have a faulty remote. I have reached out 4 times for them to return my old unit and send me another. the problem is that American Music Supply who I bought from said at this point I have to deal directly with MWM Phase. It sucks that I have to pay for a faulty unit and I am still under factory warranty and can't get a response.
Pepehouse 8:24 AM - 30 September, 2019
Those that just can't wait for the "next big thing" should be aware that they will be doing beta testing for a long period, more than that I don't get the hurry being that you'll be doing the same they have been doing for decades just mixing and scratching, there's nothing new apart from having another box on your desk, or do that thing in the video where thay scratch just by moving the record up and down with only their hand which looses totally the magic and the point of having a pair of wheels of steel on your desk since you could do the same over a friying pan.

Yeah, I sound like an old fart because that's what I am but I think I made a bit of sense meaning that when it's too easy it's also boring. If it worked well at least...
Pepehouse 8:27 AM - 30 September, 2019
The concept "early adopter" always makes me laugh these days...
Dj cuervo 12:01 PM - 30 September, 2019
Tag them on social media with this complaint.. I'm sure they will reach out to you. Good luck!!
djrickyraw 4:25 PM - 9 December, 2019
Quote:

Quote:
djrickyraw 4:28 PM - 9 December, 2019
I LOVE MY PHASE

I happen to love and enjoy this tech. It can only get better from here. It’s the first version released and to my understanding. History has a strange way of repeating its self. Meaning that cars got smaller and faster as well as cell phones etc.. this is a amazing product that works extremely well.
Dj cuervo 11:19 PM - 9 December, 2019
No major issues for me!!!! I have about 50 events so far with them.
DJ Tecniq 2:45 AM - 10 December, 2019
I got them for only $350 and so far I love them I’m so done with Shure needles and all shit they collect from scratching Ortofon’s are better for that reason but not use needles or tonearms is really convenient for me personally.
DJ Tecniq 2:46 AM - 10 December, 2019
To not use*
DJ Tecniq 2:50 AM - 10 December, 2019
Also I’d like to add the sound quality is better than needles it’s a digital signal so no phono feedback or needle/tonearm issues ever...hell the turntables doesn’t not even need phono connection for phase its very fast to setup. My pitch speeds have been rock solid since the firmware update.
Laz219 2:30 PM - 10 December, 2019
How would "phono feedback" ever affect DVS sound quality.
The input side does not affect the sound quality on the output stage at all.
Illiment 4:25 PM - 10 December, 2019
Quote:

lmao seriously?

you've never heard feedback through your needles/tonearms before especially on a big system? It's literally one of the top 3 major issues Phase solves.
The Return of Dj Sparky 9:21 PM - 10 December, 2019
the point being made is that you do not hear anything from phono using dvs, the software hears it,

i get how large bass could distort the signal to the software but the end user should not really be effected and worst case serato will track bad for a sec but you should not hear any audible distortion until the tracking becomes an issue
Culprit 9:36 PM - 10 December, 2019
anyone have out-of-sync issues after a few hours of use?
AKIEM 9:55 PM - 10 December, 2019
Quote:

....just let these dudes believe it....
dj_soo 9:58 PM - 10 December, 2019
He’s talking about feedback causing needles to bounce due to bass - it definitely affects sound quality as the timecode signal can break up due to the needle physically vibrating out of the groove.
AKIEM 10:01 PM - 10 December, 2019
Quote:
He’s talking about feedback causing needles to bounce due to bass - it definitely affects sound quality as the timecode signal can break up due to the needle physically vibrating out of the groove.

stretch to call that "feedback" or "sound quality"....
dj_soo 11:20 PM - 10 December, 2019
it's vibrartions so yea, it's not exactly the same, but when you hear that audio break up due to needle problems, it's certainly an effect on the quality of the sound.
AKIEM 9:03 PM - 11 December, 2019
Quote:
it's vibrartions so yea, it's not exactly the same, but when you hear that audio break up due to needle problems, it's certainly an effect on the quality of the sound.

jus saying, if you call it "feedback" sounds like you dont know what you are talking about, because its not feedback - and its way less issue, not even an issue if set up somewhat slightly proper
dj_soo 10:02 PM - 11 December, 2019
Eh, isolated booths are rarer and rarer these days because everyone uses cdjs.

The people who will get the most out of phase are the ones who are still using turntables in large festivals and large clubs with massive arrays of subs - usually placed front and centre in front or under the stage.
Laz219 11:44 PM - 11 December, 2019
I did think of that DJ_Soo, akiem is right though- it was more the particular wording that made me think he's not talking about timecode breakup.

Kinda like how often I see people saying "I get these new carts and my sound quality is so much better, heaps more bass!"
Meanwhile they're exclusively using DVS.
dj_soo 1:01 AM - 12 December, 2019
Yea I get that the terminology is technically wrong, but having played a ton of big festivals and still using turntables, it’s pretty shitty when your audio sounds like shit every time the bins rattle the stage on big drops.

It’s better than vinyl, but it’s still a problem - especially since everything has shifted so much into huge sub-bass in today’s music.

What I find worse are the people who insist that their $150 USB cable somehow “sounds better” than a standard one.
Laz219 3:12 AM - 12 December, 2019
Yeah,
I used to play a lot on boats (400-1500 capacity charter stuff) and between being confined (close to subs and the dancefloor) and the movement of the boat.. I've always been pretty impressed with how well DVS works, but that choppy sound when you do lose tracking is the worst.

As a side note Soo, because you're someone that would probably have noticed- did you find any real difference in use with the newer 'performance' timecodes?
I'm not playing out anymore so I've never really noticed if it actually made a real world difference.

The USB cable thing just reminds me of working in electronics retail and being expected to sell $300 HDMI cables to people because "they improved picture/sound" meanwhile the actual cost of the cable to the store was about $12 (vs about $9 for a generic cable sold for $14)
dj_soo 3:23 AM - 12 December, 2019
Honestly, I don’t think I ever did a test and am not sure if I ever even bought the performance vinyl.

I was controllering it up for a good while and even with recently ditching controllers, I’ve been using my Denon sc3900s for the last 3 years or so for the majority of my gigs, so I don’t really use turntables other than to practice scratching at home these days.
Laz219 8:45 AM - 12 December, 2019
If it wasn't for the twelves, I'd probably still be looking at the 3900s as my perfect home setup.

When/if there's a phase MK2 that fixes the obvious flaws- or to be honest, in my mind, another company takes the concept and does it better (probably inmusic under one of their brands) -although I don't know how tight phase' patent is.
DJ Tecniq 9:15 AM - 12 December, 2019
There are a lot of factors that can affect sound quality like dust from a needle, dirty CV, cartridge coming loose...all of this affects the sound quality in general. Call it whatever you want feedback/distortion it all comes from a live setting or any audio playback...phase ultimately limits this because no tonearms or t-table connections are needed. That’s what I meant sorry I didn’t use the proper terminology lol jesus ✌🏼
Laz219 2:08 PM - 12 December, 2019
There are.
I'm still not sold on phase though.
The concept/idea... Yes.
The implementation? No.

I think the second/third gen will be great.
Feels like the original release was too flawed, which was then updated to fix those problems but created new ones.
v@l 2:47 PM - 12 December, 2019
YZ 9:12 PM - 12 December, 2019
Quote:

Feels like the original release was too flawed, which was then updated to fix those problems but created new ones.

... saw this since day 1 and voiced about it, even more so after they kept delaying it, but the goons and goblins still pre-ordered because what's hype if your not a fkboy? Then they get it finally n figure out for themselves that what there were actually sold was shit, heavily flawed non qa'd unfinished trash tech you're just gonna toss in storage with your old cat toys and rca cables.
AKIEM 9:25 PM - 12 December, 2019
Quote:
There are a lot of factors that can affect sound quality like dust from a needle, dirty CV, cartridge coming loose...all of this affects the sound quality in general. Call it whatever you want feedback/distortion it all comes from a live setting or any audio playback...phase ultimately limits this because no tonearms or t-table connections are needed. That’s what I meant sorry I didn’t use the proper terminology lol jesus ✌🏼

feedback distortion hum phase delay click pop

Im with you, call anything - anything you want these days... yezus lol ✌🏼
dj_soo 9:32 PM - 12 December, 2019
Quote:
There are.
I'm still not sold on phase though.
The concept/idea... Yes.
The implementation? No.

I think the second/third gen will be great.

3900s + the 72 is my gigging setup - I use either 1 or 2 players depending on the gig.

For home, I just keep my turntables setup. I used to prefer the 3900s to my techs for a bit, but I started really focusing on scratching the last couple years and now prefer the turntables with vinyl. I almost never plug in my laptop at home anymore which I really should because even with the buffer at 1, the difference in feel between DVS and vinyl throws me off for a lot of techniques.
Megalith 3:34 PM - 13 January, 2020
Sorry/not sorry for necro'ing this thread - I contacted support over the BPM jitter I am getting with my phase system.

I tried on 2 different pair of tech 1200/1210's, and on some AT DD tables I have.
If I have a pair of tracks going at 128.0 bpm, it jitters in the 128.0 - 128.3 range constantly.

The response I got was disheartening to say the least

"Thank you for your message and the kind words, and for your help while trying to solve this !

We will be announcing something at NAMM that should somehow solve this issue, so please stay tuned :)

In the meantime, thank you for your patience. I am sorry I cannot really help further but please get back to me if you wish after we made our announcement at NAMM and I will be able to explain further."
Culprit 3:39 PM - 13 January, 2020
That's a pretty unacceptable response and a really bad way to market themselves for NAMM, and that's coming from someone who is infact marketing at NAMM.

I would highly suggest anyone going to NAMM that has experienced these problems to highly question their motives and quality of product.
Megalith 4:09 PM - 13 January, 2020
They responded to my inquiry with a more substantial and acceptable bit of information:

"I am sorry for this situation and may not have been clear enough :

This issue will be solved very soon, we are currently working on it as we know it can be very annoying.
At the moment, we do not have any real fix except using the BPM Calibration tool.
It may happen that the BPM has slight variations of +-0.1%, and we do our best to fix this as fast as possible.

I do not think it is a problem related to your Phase specifically but a software issue that our engineers are working on at the moment.
It is not that we do not want to fix this is is just that at the moment we do not have a fix, and we keep working on it.

I totally understand your frustration and would like to thank you for your patience in the meantime,

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help or if you have any questions."