Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Mix emergency should I buy.

Funkytownstopsix 3:21 PM - 23 July, 2009
I thought this software was a work around for the SL-1 to play video can someone explain to me about it. I mean is it woth buying or what anybody got any examples where they have used it. Thanks for your help in advance.
nemix 5:19 PM - 23 July, 2009
You can try the demo out. With 1.9 the SL1 is able to run video too. The only thing I like about it was the live video feed feature it offers but apples PiP program fixes that with VSL
Funkytownstopsix 5:27 PM - 23 July, 2009
yeah I saw the download but didn't want to try it if I didn't have to..Really I'm looking for a reason to try it.. Y would I want to use it?
skinnyguy 6:52 PM - 23 July, 2009
if u want text of logo/pic overlay
dj vmb 8:48 PM - 23 July, 2009
I was also thinking about buy it also Big. My reason is because it records at a higher quality than screenflow apparently.

www.scratchlive.net

And also you get pic and txt overlay also. I think it works with VSL at simultaneously. I'm going to test it out first to see how much more strain it puts on my MBP first.
itchie 10:27 PM - 23 July, 2009
i bought and use it just to record mixes. you can export to anything you want (proress442HQ)
(#1) you can do a LIVE VIDEO feed noprob with a good quartz file.
i just don't like the lumakey transition but i made a suggestion to change it...he said in a future update.
nik39 3:07 PM - 24 July, 2009
/me likes it very much. A lot of good features. My favs...:

- easy logo add over
- add text
- automatic, random transitions
- better midi controllability (for me)
Funkytownstopsix 3:38 PM - 24 July, 2009
ok then I will have to download this, since nik and itchie are using it... It can't be a bad thing. I use screenflow to record do you think it does better recoding that that.
nik39 3:56 PM - 24 July, 2009
I am quite certain that it does produce better recordings. Screenflow just captures what is being put out on the display, incl. all lags, skips, etc.

ME bascially records what you are doing ... See here what D-Twizzle wrote:

Quote:
Have you seen how mix emergency records video? it doesn't actually record video in real-time. It only records the session and then you render the video when it's done. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but I'd compare it to working in a multi track program, then rendering out a file instead of recording something live.

This will produce better results IMHO, incl. the ability to tweak the output format to your needs (w/o the need to go through an intermediate file/format like ScreenFlow+VSL do).
Funkytownstopsix 4:09 PM - 24 July, 2009
thanks nik39. I do have a few more question do I have to change sreens to do any of this or is it intergrated meaning. I don't have to diffrent programs to run or will it open when I open scartchlive like a plugin, Last how does the logo lay over work? Can it stay on the screen the whole time or what. I will demo but just gota know.. Im on the line about buying it.. I dare not talk about quartz I will save that for when I get it.
D-Twizzle 4:27 PM - 24 July, 2009
this video should help understand how it works a little better Watchwww.youtube.com
lvmez 5:03 PM - 24 July, 2009
how much is mix emergency? i'm thinking about getting it as well.
Funkytownstopsix 5:41 PM - 24 July, 2009
damn youtube don't work at work......

Ivmez 180 is the cost....
nik39 6:20 PM - 24 July, 2009
Quote:
I don't have to diffrent programs to run or will it open when I open scartchlive like a plugin,

Not sure what you mean. You have start it manually but it will float over the SSL and you can make it "translucent" which is very cool I think.

Quote:
Can it stay on the screen the whole time or what.

Yes.

Try the demo. It's for free.
dj vmb 6:43 PM - 24 July, 2009
Quote:
this video should help understand how it works a little better Watchwww.youtube.com

What’s up with Stephen Hawking narrating the ME videos. Nice touch though.
nik39 7:07 PM - 24 July, 2009
Wait Funky, ... aren't you a PC user?

ME does not work with PC's.

But then... VSL does (almost) not work with PCs either... haha ;)
skinnyguy 7:31 PM - 24 July, 2009
the me preview screens also have user adjustable size
Funkytownstopsix 7:47 PM - 24 July, 2009
Nik39 that is so unlike you....Your always the nice one,,, what the hell has happen. Hahah my ass, my PC get down and you know it, they don't make ME for PC if they did I would have it just to show that I can do it.

Quote:

I see some type of overlay will the demo allow me to record.

DJ VMB hit me up if when you find the time.
nik39 8:18 PM - 24 July, 2009
Quote:
Nik39 that is so unlike you....Your always the nice one

You sure must be talking about someone else ;).
VJ Justin Allen 8:28 PM - 24 July, 2009
Quote:

That is one of the number reasons to buy it.
nik39 8:37 PM - 24 July, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

That is one of the number reasons to buy it.

But that reason was not big enough for you right? You preferred VSL over ME.
VJ Justin Allen 8:38 PM - 24 July, 2009
Yes you can read Nik. See, I can actually like a feature of another product and not buy it.
nik39 8:45 PM - 24 July, 2009
What distinguishes me from others is... I can not only read... but also understand.

I swear.
VJ Justin Allen 8:54 PM - 24 July, 2009
Seriously Nik STFU. It gets old and you really need to learn to grow up.
nik39 8:59 PM - 24 July, 2009
No. I won't start this name calling.
VJ Justin Allen 9:04 PM - 24 July, 2009
You already did with your comments. Like I said, it gets old dealing with your childish comments.
nik39 9:07 PM - 24 July, 2009
I didnt call anyone any names. You should read again. You were making general statements. I was making general statements. You started "STFU"'ing on me. And that is my last statement about this here.
VJ Justin Allen 9:14 PM - 24 July, 2009
Let's see from you that either means more personal attack e-mails or you are going to run off to the mods. I'll wait and see which one it is this time.
nik39 9:22 PM - 24 July, 2009
Quote:
I do have a few more question do I have to change sreens to do any of this or is it intergrated meaning. I don't have to diffrent programs to run or will it open when I open scartchlive like a plugin,

Just to clarify.. it *is* a different application. So this is sometimes a bit hindering ... that there is no 100% seemless integration (how could it...). But as said.. I rarely switch to ME... I use my midi controller :)

Quote:
Last how does the logo lay over work? Can it stay on the screen the whole time or what.

Yes, it can. You just choose a logo, define size, position, transluciency - that's it.

Let's hope VSL offers that natively as well at some point (you can do similar things with QTZ in VSL already).
Dj Ace 2:16 AM - 5 August, 2009
wow it can midi control qtz composition parameters...thats kinda tight
edmund skillary 9:44 PM - 3 November, 2009
is it possible to record from either Mix Emergency or Screenflow and capture audio with the picture?

i got the demo of Mix emergency and i want to record a video sl set
i cant get it to record the audio,there's no option for serato in audio/device panel

same with screenflow,if i start my mac fresh and then launch screenflow it gives an audio record option of TTMS57SL-Line 2 (sometimes line 1)
when i launch scratch live that option changes to AppleUSBAudioEngine SeratoTTM.01.00TTMS57SL-Line 2
then when i record an error message comes up 'Microphone Not Found'

if you quit Scratch Live, the audio record option TTMS57SL-Line 2 has now disappeared
nik39 10:25 PM - 3 November, 2009
Quote:
i got the demo of Mix emergency and i want to record a video sl set
i cant get it to record the audio,there's no option for serato in audio/device panel

?

How should ME know the audio? You have to feed it back into your laptop.
edmund skillary 12:42 AM - 4 November, 2009
i thought there might be a way to record internally,seeing that screenflow had the ability to detect the rane mixer
edmund skillary 1:47 AM - 4 November, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

How should ME know the audio? You have to feed it back into your laptop.

how/where do you feed it back in?
Funkytownstopsix 6:02 AM - 4 November, 2009
Like Nik said you have to run it back to the laptop. I use screen flow to do my mixes and have yet to use ME but either way you need to run an out from the mixer to an in on the laptop......
edmund skillary 10:48 AM - 4 November, 2009
thanks guys
DJCheLu 7:16 AM - 5 November, 2009
So ME can be used strictly for recording if you wanted? Just turn it on to record and use vsl for your set? Thats sounds great if you can do that :)
Eloy Garcia 7:40 AM - 5 November, 2009
or you can use ME for your sets to... I been using it like crazy... I love it so much more and they up date it more. It also uses less CPU power.
tomatoslice 12:54 AM - 6 November, 2009
Quote:
I didn't know it used less CPU.

i am not sure if it does or not but my mac runs at a lower temp with ME
DJCheLu 3:02 AM - 6 November, 2009
Well my only concern was bringing a midi controller to gigs to control ME since i use the 57. My video convertor and serato take up both my usb ports. I may have to try it though, seems people rave about it ;)
Dj Ace 3:57 AM - 6 November, 2009
it works with the 57 fader...
PopRoXxX 3:33 PM - 6 November, 2009
yeah, but can you control the effects with the 57 like VSL?
tomatoslice 3:42 PM - 6 November, 2009
Quote:

you can? not JUST the crossfader and it shows thru on ME?
Funkytownstopsix 4:36 PM - 6 November, 2009
I wish some one would do a video on how to use it and all u can do with it.
DJ Unique 4:40 AM - 7 November, 2009
Does anyone know if Mix Emergency works on Itch or is it only for SSL.
I sometimes have very small gigs and wanted to get the VCI300+FX unit but do not want to lose the ability to play videos.
PopRoXxX 4:49 AM - 7 November, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

you can? not JUST the crossfader and it shows thru on ME?

Mine was a question. Lol.
Eloy Garcia 9:05 AM - 7 November, 2009
ME is only for SSL it will not work with Itch. You can use a VCI-300 as a midi controler for me. Now to the TTM57 question, the 57 can only fades and crossfades with ME. The midi on the 57 only works SSL. But like I said it will still only fade and crossfade with ME.
nik39 3:59 PM - 7 November, 2009
Quote:
Now to the TTM57 question, the 57 can only fades and crossfades with ME. The midi on the 57 only works SSL.

The TTM57 has no Midi. But you are correct, you can only control Serato Software (SSL, VSL) from the TTM57, no other application (incl. ME).
DJCheLu 11:34 PM - 7 November, 2009
So you can or can not control the video crossfade with the 57 crossfader? ^^these statements confused me lol. All i want to be able to do is crossfade the video link to the crossfader on the 57.
nik39 12:54 AM - 8 November, 2009
Sure, ME can do that.
PopRoXxX 6:20 PM - 8 November, 2009
will there be any development from ME to utilize mixer funtions (buttons/knobs/etc.) to control effects and other aspects like VSL?
DJCheLu 12:59 AM - 9 November, 2009
Quote:
Sure, ME can do that.

Excellent, thank you :)
Eskei83 8:54 AM - 9 November, 2009
Here's a mix i did with ME and the TTM 57 SL!

www.eskei83.de
Dj Ace 2:46 AM - 10 November, 2009
nice vid...where did you this is how we do it video and that michael jackson one...
sabre 1:55 AM - 4 December, 2009
Quote:
You can try the demo out. With 1.9 the SL1 is able to run video too. The only thing I like about it was the live video feed feature it offers but apples PiP program fixes that with VSL

This is interesting ! Can you shed anymore light on how you are integrating PiP with VSL ?

Also does anyone know any info about feeding quartz compositions into VSL without mix emergency ?
PopRoXxX 2:09 AM - 4 December, 2009
i do QTZ files & Apple's PiP program all the time with VSL.
Eskei83 5:26 AM - 4 December, 2009
yeah me too ...
DJ Scorpion 7:32 AM - 4 December, 2009
i'm considering ME instead of using VSL, too.
with all this (mostly) positive talk about ME i got one question, though:

correct me if i'm wrong ... but since 1.9.2. tags for video files are stored within' the actual files, right? what about the cue points & loops? if i use ME instead of VSL, do i need to re-do all me tags, cues & loops?
Eskei83 9:17 AM - 4 December, 2009
no, u don't have to redo all your files! There's a demo version. You can use all features! So just try it! ME works like a plugin for ScratchLive.
DJ Scorpion 5:41 PM - 4 December, 2009
thx, imma give it a try.
DJ'Que 7:37 PM - 4 December, 2009
why waste money on something that's go comeout in a vsl update. I mean you spend $188 but when serato comes out with it then what. You guys are go end up making serato say " hey if you can pay for another add on from someone else, then pay for our's" you know text,img, scrolling, anamation etc. All will come soon.
DJ'Que 7:39 PM - 4 December, 2009
these serato mod/ developer listen to us. But they have 2 platforms to deal with. Not just one. Pc seems to be the big hold up. Just trust in them.
VJ Justin Allen 7:47 PM - 4 December, 2009
DJ Que

I trust them, but there has been no comments about a VSL update for months. I remember posting a thread about why I picked VSL over ME a few months ago and basically pleaded with Serato to let us know the development path for VSL.

And since then, even with that thread, this thread, and others...not one word about that development path...not even words of encouragement.

Add in the fact that the developer of ME once worked for Serato and you have a unique situation. Serato could pull support for ME anytime they wanted to (think Apple here) and those users who spent their money on ME would be out of luck. Would Serato do this...who knows. I have no idea if ME has their "unofficial" blessing. If they did have it I would buy ME in a second. Smaller companies can always move quicker, especially when developing for only one platform. And right now ME is moving faster than VSL is.

For me, NAMM will be the big deciding date. Hopefully VSL news will be released by then.
Charlie Five 7:54 PM - 4 December, 2009
Serato devs should update with a block that eliminates ME's program to interface with SSL. ie the Pre and iTunes situation that keeps going back and forth.
Funkytownstopsix 7:58 PM - 4 December, 2009
I think too that Serato will be coming out with an update just don't know when and what and that's a problem. I am waiting till the next update before I make a move on ME. I agree with Allen if they were more streamline in telling us what updates that planned on putting out we all could make a better decision as to what direction we wanted to spend money. I much rather wait and on the real I have grown tired of spending money for the latest greatest. Yet in the case of ME it provides us with some much needed tools that are easy for Serato to implement.. Yet as I think of it, I hope right now that they are finding better ways to improve CPU usage for both Mac & PC.
Funkytownstopsix 8:02 PM - 4 December, 2009
Quote:
Serato devs should update with a block that eliminates ME's program to interface with SSL. ie the Pre and iTunes situation that keeps going back and forth.

I feel that will come and one reason I have waited to buy ME. It would piss off a lot of people but for sure kill competition with their product or in this case keep people from making money of their programs shortcomings
skinnyguy 8:58 PM - 4 December, 2009
isn't video making you guys money? it's less than $200. even a regular club gig (non-video) can pay for that. what's wrong with having 2 programs to choose from to run your video? if ME is ahead, use that....when vsl jumps ahead, bounce back to that...
VJ Justin Allen 9:09 PM - 4 December, 2009
Why introduce a third party plug-in into a stable system if you don;t have to. How much help do you think anyone will get if they post on this board and say:

"YO! My Mix Emergency plug-in isn't working Serato sucks! Can't you guys fix this and make your program work better"

I would much rather have a rock steady system vs a few extra effects....for now anyways.
Funkytownstopsix 9:13 PM - 4 December, 2009
Hummm,,, would you buy a car if you knew a few months they would give one for free. Thats how some people feel. The problem is we don't know if we are even getting a car... DAMN DAMN DAMN... I wish the dev crew would let us know what they were working on. I know why the do what they do because they would be bound to do what they say and people would be on them to be sure they would be doing it. I get that but damn a little insite with no deadline could be helpful. Funny thing is if you look around since the fourms got started anytime there is a long period with no major updates people start going off.... : ) Yet think about this Nathan has always been available and around how many people can say they talk to the top dog for support like we do.....
nik39 2:53 AM - 5 December, 2009
Quote:
I would much rather have a rock steady system vs a few extra effects

It seems like you don't know what you are talking about.

ME has a lot more features currently. It works well. It has caused less problems for me than VSL. I am sure VSL will get there at some time - but... right here, and right now, for me personally ME works better. I've been using text and picture overlays for like... more than a year or something? It works.

And just because *you* haven't heard of any VSL updates that doesn't necessarily mean that Serato is not working on an update. It would be silly if the dev would just halt.

Quote:
Why introduce a third party plug-in into a stable system if you don;t have to. How much help do you think anyone will get if they post on this board and say:

"YO! My Mix Emergency plug-in isn't working Serato sucks! Can't you guys fix this and make your program work better"

Uhm, what? Why would you post *HERE* if you have problems with ME? Don't you think they have their ways of support?

Quote:
The more I read DJ Que's comments on the forum the more I'm convinced he's full of shit. Sorry dude, not tryin to start an E-Beef but some of the shit you say I just SMH

Really, if some of us pay for ME you think Serato's gonna start charging? ha ha!!!!!!

Dub, I know what you feel and feel the same way about some other peeps here.

Some people just don't know.

Quote:
Hummm,,, would you buy a car if you knew a few months they would give one for free.

Because I need to get there *now* and not in a year. And I don't want to take the bus, cause I can't take all my luggage with me ;)

Quote:

Charlie Five, just curious... why would you want this?

Use what works best for you. Simple as that.
VJ Justin Allen 3:01 AM - 5 December, 2009
Wow Nik39, I see your back with your usual cherry comments and random bashing. And your "special" insight into the inner workings of Serato and ScratchLive.

See you again in a few months.
nik39 3:07 AM - 5 December, 2009
I have no special insights of any Serato+ScratchLive stuff. I am just stating the obvious. ... The obvious which seem people seem to have missed.

It is funny how you start crying again and again in a similar way "oh nik is bashing me bla bla yawn" instead of actually trying to answer or explain your position with arguments.

You said indirectly ME is not stable. I said, it is already very stable. ... Your answer to that is "nik bashing bla ble ble".

Keep up the good work.

+++

I am not saying that this or that is better in general, each has its advantages in certain areas. You gotta try out and find what works better for you. Easy as that.
VJ Justin Allen 3:16 AM - 5 December, 2009
So you are actually that a plug-in for a program written by a third party is actually MORE stable that the program written by the developers of that main program.

Congratulations you just called the ScratchLive programmers idiots.
nik39 3:21 AM - 5 December, 2009
Quote:

Don't try to twist the words around. Leave to me whether I like to say that the ScratchLive programmers are idiots or not. I never said that, meant that, or implied that. Again your show your lack of understanding. Do you know a single bit (pun intended) about programming?

As to your other statements or comments... I leave it to someone else to explain it to you.
VJ Justin Allen 3:26 AM - 5 December, 2009
Quote:
IYou said indirectly ME is not stable. I said, it is already very stable. ...

LMAO Oh but it's OK for you to go around and imply that other people have said things. Talk about being a hypocrite and twisting words around.

Whatever, I'm done with you. Take your bashing of VSL and everyone else on these boards and wander away again.
nik39 3:32 AM - 5 December, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
IYou said indirectly ME is not stable. I said, it is already very stable. ...

LMAO Oh but it's OK for you to go around and imply that other people have said things..

You said

Quote:
I would much rather have a rock steady system

Use some brain and a little bit of logic.. Please.

Quote:
Take your bashing of

s48.photobucket.com
itchie 3:54 AM - 5 December, 2009
ME can play a QTZ file that is writen to pull from a DV camera (live feed), same qtz file locks up VSL. That right there makes it usefull at certin gigs. Nik39 is hip
Funkytownstopsix 3:56 AM - 5 December, 2009
lol now nike that was a funny pic.... LMAO

I hear you and agreed with you Nik, like I said I will wait for the next update before I make a move. Like I said if the devs would let us know what is coming up in the updates this would not be an issue,,,,,persay. And you two need to get a room...
Rebelguy 4:22 AM - 5 December, 2009
Quote:
So you are actually that a plug-in for a program written by a third party is actually MORE stable that the program written by the developers of that main program.

Didn't the guy who wrote the ME program used to work for Serato? He may not be that far out the loop of things as you think.
VJ Justin Allen 4:33 AM - 5 December, 2009
Quote:

Add in the fact that the developer of ME once worked for Serato and you have a unique situation. Serato could pull support for ME anytime they wanted to (think Apple here) and those users who spent their money on ME would be out of luck. Would Serato do this...who knows. I have no idea if ME has their "unofficial" blessing. If they did have it I would buy ME in a second. Smaller companies can always move quicker, especially when developing for only one platform. And right now ME is moving faster than VSL is.

I wrote this earlier in the thread.
Eskei83 4:40 AM - 5 December, 2009
Quote:

you talkin ish ... i'm a video sl user since day one ... i'm touring with Rane on Digital Coaching Tour tru Germany right now to present Video SL ... Video SL is a solid software to mix videos ... i luv to play with - it works! it's stable.

BUT: there a some important features missing. i do a lot of gigs for major companies, for example Carlsberg Beer.

I've to do my video-gigs with a overlay with the companies logo ... there's no way to do it with video sl till now ... ima using a qtz-overlay with a animated logo of the brand ... i can record my mixes ... i can hotcue my transistions ... i can assign transisition effects to midi-pads...

ME is at the moment the better choice for a professional dj ... that's all what nik39 said ... accept that. if you happy with video sl - use video sl. it's a good product.

btw: here's my latest mix on Watchwww.vimeo.com
tomatoslice 4:54 AM - 5 December, 2009
i can tell you that vsl will crash under certain conditions before mix emergency will.
Rebelguy 4:59 AM - 5 December, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

I wrote this earlier in the thread.

Sorry I missed it
skinnyguy 12:26 PM - 5 December, 2009
ME is a separate program. not a plug-in. but really, it's just that vsl is a program which is activated WITHIN ssl, so that is kinda what makes it a plug-in.

and really, if you had probs with ME, then you go to the inklen forums. duh.

which one is more stable? seems like people who have experience using both are saying ME.
VJ Justin Allen 2:29 PM - 5 December, 2009
Eskel83,

I use the Edirol V4 and Modul8 and overlay logos, graphics, promos and whatever else directly on top of my VSL output, real-time and on-the-fly. This gives me a lot more flexibility and many more options than just using ME.

I do agree however that VSL should at least have the same options as ME...or Serato should just tell us that they will not disable their functions so people can make a decision.

As to VSL not being stable, I have only done 40-60 gigs with it yet, plus practices and I have never had it crash on me. Just saying that different people have different experiences.
Eskei83 8:30 PM - 5 December, 2009
Quote:
Eskei83,
As to VSL not being stable, I have only done 40-60 gigs with it yet, plus practices and I have never had it crash on me. Just saying that different people have different experiences.

VSL is stable! i'd never say that VSL isnt stable ... it is rock solid ...

i just want to say - every dj should use the software he knows best or he like ...

Quote:
I use the Edirol V4 and Modul8 and overlay logos, graphics, promos and whatever else directly on top of my VSL output, real-time and on-the-fly.

sounds interesting ... i've to check this out!
thanx.
nik39 8:35 PM - 5 December, 2009
Quote:
VSL is stable! i'd never say that VSL isnt stable ... it is rock solid ...

+1

Most crashes happen due to the codecs.

Anyway... I find it a bit hilarious to complaing about an external app (ME) and on the same time having to add more complexity and possible cause for problems and issues by using other, external hardware... when you already should be able to do this all in one - by using VSL/ME exclusively.

Welcome to 2009 - this is not 1995.
VJ Justin Allen 8:47 PM - 5 December, 2009
Wow now you are saying the Edirol V4 and Modul8 are more causes for problems...when they far exceed the capabilities of VSL and ME. Oh, and by using them you absolutely guarantee zero issues of any type of scratchlive / VSL system problems/crashing.

Nik39, you really need to learn more about the professional side of the video industry.
nik39 8:55 PM - 5 December, 2009
Geez... we're talking about overlaying videos with text and images.

I can show you a rock solid solution without the hassle of using an Edirol V4 and Modul8.

*sigh*
VJ Justin Allen 9:01 PM - 5 December, 2009
Does that solution allow you to do this "on the fly"?
Can you add additional cameras or other video sources? and add effects to them as well?
Can you maintain a separate chain of inputs guaranteed not to interfere with Serato or the computer running it yet still be 100% integrated with it
Does it have over 100 additional video effects, PiP and chroma/luma controls on the fly?

There is a lot more happening there than anything that VSL or ME can do. Luckily we are not asking Serato to step that far up to the plate...just get closer to what ME is offering right now. Or let us know that they will not kick ME out of the game.
nik39 9:16 PM - 5 December, 2009
Quote:
Does that solution allow you to do this "on the fly"?
Can you add additional cameras or other video sources? and add effects to them as well?
Can you maintain a separate chain of inputs guaranteed not to interfere with Serato or the computer running it yet still be 100% integrated with it
Does it have over 100 additional video effects, PiP and chroma/luma controls on the fly?

Hands down, no.

But if you mix audio and video and have the time to take care about all 100 additional effects and plugging in several video sources at the same time ON THE FLY - then you must have forgotten to DJ.

This kind of equipment has it's applications, no doubt. But it would not work for me. I don't have the time to take care about plugging in sources, fiddling around with other equipment - because I am DJ'ing, and I think this applies to the majority here.

However, if it works for you - fine. But you ARE adding additional complexity in the whole chain.

KISS. en.wikipedia.org
sixxx 9:22 PM - 5 December, 2009
[quote
But if you mix audio and video and have the time to take care about all 100 additional effects and plugging in several video sources at the same time ON THE FLY - then you must have forgotten to DJ.

This kind of equipment has it's applications, no doubt. But it would not work for me. I don't have the time to take care about plugging in sources, fiddling around with other equipment - because I am DJ'ing, and I think this applies to the majority here.

It's a wrap! /discussion
VJ Justin Allen 9:23 PM - 5 December, 2009
Well I have been using this type of a set-up for 6 years video VJ'ing. Hopefully somewhere along the way I remembered to play a song or two while doing it.
sixxx 9:23 PM - 5 December, 2009
and of course, I fuck up the quote. hahahaha
tomatoslice 1:14 AM - 6 December, 2009
which one is more stable? it seems that people using both ME and VSL probably know i little more on the subject.
i don't blindly choose one over the other. i loved VSL. i even kept liking it after i bought ME.
however, after using both, seeing how each reacted under certain conditions and comparing the 2 ME came out on top in features and stability.

i'd say VSL is stable...for the most part...but not rock solid.
if VSL IS "rock solid" than that ME is "solid steel"
i have crashed vsl and it had NOTHING to do with codecs.
just implying that a codec could crash vsl implies that it's not all that solid.
nik39 1:23 AM - 6 December, 2009
Quote:
just implying that a codec could crash vsl implies that it's not all that solid.

That's wrong. ME will crash on buggy codecs as well.
VJ Justin Allen 1:30 AM - 6 December, 2009
I wanted to say that one of the reasons that VSL has been so stable for me is that 100% of my videos have been encoded the exact same way.

That might be a good difference to note.
tomatoslice 1:52 AM - 6 December, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

well, ok. i am not really saying that ME wont crash. just saying, so far in my experience, it crashes less.
Quote:
I wanted to say that one of the reasons that VSL has been so stable for me is that 100% of my videos have been encoded the exact same way.

That might be a good difference to note.

that's true. that will help.

Quote:
Quote:

well, ok. i am not saying that ME wont crash because it did crash once. just saying, so far in my experience, it crashes less.
tomatoslice 1:53 AM - 6 December, 2009
ooh and now i got the quote messed up.
Funkytownstopsix 11:20 PM - 6 December, 2009
really all I care about is the ability to add text to my shows. other than that slv does the same thing for the most part.
VJ Justin Allen 11:24 PM - 6 December, 2009
I love the fact that it can record your audio/video show. Has anyone done this are are there any issues with it?
Funkytownstopsix 11:30 PM - 6 December, 2009
i do it with screenflow with no issues. Although I am told that it records better than flow but it's good enough not to pay for ME.
tomatoslice 3:07 AM - 7 December, 2009
Quote:
I love the fact that it can record your audio/video show. Has anyone done this are are there any issues with it?

audio has been no issue.
but video...when attempting to render video from a four hour set it was insanely slow. it would process 1 frame per second. there's a lot of frames in one minute let alone 4 hours. after a day it would just be getting to the first mix.
maybe it's my settings, idk.
VJ Justin Allen 3:20 AM - 7 December, 2009
I think it depends on the codec that you choose to render it with. Do you know what you were using?

Also, does it output a file that you can save immediately and then go back to render it? Or do you have to do something with it right after capturing it.

Thanks tomatoslice
PopRoXxX 3:58 AM - 7 December, 2009
justin, there are tutorials for ME on the ME website. it says you can just record and then when you're ready to render, go into the recorded menu and render whatever mixes from anytime you want.

if i'm wrong someone correct me. but i believe that's what they meant in the video.

Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Dan-E 4:17 AM - 7 December, 2009
Well I am using a 2008 Mackbook Pro with 2gb memory, and ME is working great with doing Music videos, overlays, text, & effects. I actually loaded up VSL and it's sluggish on my MBP. Fire ME back up and smooth as can be. For those who are contemplateing, go download the demo. Check out their forum, you will see that the developer is constantlay working on the program. For those who have PC's sorry ME is for MAC only.
Now I must say those having issues with VSL on PC, that I am running fine, but I have a desktop with asus rampage board, 12gb ram, and quadcore processor. No issues, so I guess it all depends on your gear, and what you want to take with you and of course your budget. However like most have stated, if your making money, than you need to spend money.
Oh and even tho ME doesnt support Hackintosh, I am about to load SnowLeopard up on a drive and run on my asus rampage system and install ME and see how it goes, guessing it will be fine but need to test it straight for 6 hours (typical length of a gig).
So in closing, if your thinking about me do as Nike says (and couldnt have a better athlete, that lives by the words) Just Do It!
tomatoslice 8:55 AM - 7 December, 2009
Quote:
I think it depends on the codec that you choose to render it with. Do you know what you were using?

Also, does it output a file that you can save immediately and then go back to render it? Or do you have to do something with it right after capturing it.

i have no idea what codec i chose. it's been so long i dont even remember choosing a codec.
yes, you can save the recording of the video as a file and go back later top render.
Poproxxx is correct.
VJ Justin Allen 12:35 PM - 7 December, 2009
Thanks guys.
VJ Justin Allen 12:41 PM - 7 December, 2009
tomatoslice, I asked ME the same question so I could get a better feel for what's happening behind the scenes of ME. I'll post his answer below. BUT, my guess is that you have your rendering set at the wrong setting. Hopefully his answer gives you some clues OR just ask him, he's terrific at answering questions.

Here's his answer:

If anyone is having issues rendering then they should contact me. Often it is a single video file that is causing problems.

So, short answer:
1) yes
2) I assume you mean a "proxy" of the video frames.... no
3) yes

The longer answer:

The recording and exporting process is fairly simple.

First you record your session. If you need to record audio, then you also need to run and audio cable from an output of your mixer back into the audio interface you want to record with.

Your performance is saved to a file. This file only contains the information needed to reconstruct your performance.

Once this is done you can open and export the performance any time you like, and as many times as you like - though I would recommend doing it sooner than later if you're the sort of person who often re-organises or re-names their video files (only to spare you the hassle of re-linking them).

There are some handy presets in 1.4.0 that allow you to select some fast and fairly high-quality options for exporting. If you don't want to use these then you can choose one from the ones available on your system. But, if you do this:
1) be careful to make sure that you select a decent frame rate (e.g. 25 or 29.97), as the recording has no concept of "frame rate".
2) I would recommend against using any multi-pass encoding options. This is because multi-pass encoding using H.264 passes through the file 4 times - which will take you a long time, as the performance must also be rendered (i.e. 2 video streams decoded and processed with effects/transitions) using MixEmergency 4 times over.
VJ Justin Allen 2:33 PM - 7 December, 2009
Quote:

I wanted to amend this and say that ME only records the video portion of the show, not the audio. You need to do that yourself and then bring them together. This has lost a bit of luster for me now as I was hoping they would be integrated together a bit easier.
nik39 2:43 PM - 7 December, 2009
Quote:
I wanted to amend this and say that ME only records the video portion of the show, not the audio. You need to do that yourself

Check your facts, false information.

ME can record the audio.

But you are correct (IIRC) as far as you have to join them by yourself.

It shouldn't be a problem for a pro, right.
VJ Justin Allen 2:48 PM - 7 December, 2009
Nik39, watch the road crossing traffic, I wouldn't want anything to happen to you. Your information and insight is too valuable to lose.
PopRoXxX 2:49 PM - 7 December, 2009
or record with the 57 in SSL. then join together
VJ Justin Allen 2:53 PM - 7 December, 2009
Thanks PopRoXXX I see that now. I was talking with Nick at ME and read what he wrote the wrong way.

I think that not being able to have this done internally (like ScratchLive can record internally) however shows that not having an integrated set-up has the potential for creating more issues, and adding more CPU cycles while you are playing video.

It goes back to the topic of the other thread about VSL needing to "step it up".
VJ Justin Allen 2:55 PM - 7 December, 2009
Here are some clearer instructions if anyone was wondering. These came from ME:

First you need to run a cable from your mixer to your computer's audio Line-In.
Then go to the Recording menu, and select New Recording.
Enter the name of the recording and push the Save button.

Then select "Built-in Input" from the Device pop-up menu on the Record window. If you are currently playing music you should see green bars on the Input Level meter light up to indicate the current audio input level. If you don't see them, or they are too high or too low, then you need to go into the Sound panel of your System Preferences and change the "Input volume" for the "Line In" device.

Once you have the audio at an acceptable level you can press record to start recording.
PopRoXxX 2:59 PM - 7 December, 2009
i don't think recording in SSL takes hardly any CPU usage. at least no that much that i can tell. i've recorded lots of audio sets in SSL and my CPU usage barely changes. i would probably do that. but i'll have to try it both ways to make a better assumption. again, right now i'm just assuming. i'm not being 100% accurate. i'm still waking up - lol
nik39 3:08 PM - 7 December, 2009
Quote:
Nik39, watch the road crossing traffic, I wouldn't want anything to happen to you. Your information and insight is too valuable to lose.

Thanks for confirming that I am an huge asset to you. :)

Do you know people have been warned on this forum for wishing death on other people?
www.serato.com
www.serato.com
Quote:
wishing death on someone (humorously or otherwise) is unwelcome on this forum.

Quote:
I think that not being able to have this done internally (like ScratchLive can record internally) however shows that not having an integrated set-up has the potential for creating more issues, and adding more CPU cycles while you are playing video.

Doh!

You should really get your facts straight first ... before you start posting.

1st. I doubt you are using a TTM57SL. I know that you are a penny saver (feel free to ask me for proofs), so I assume you went with the SL1. So... there is NO way how SSL can record the audio with an SL1. *ding* NO WAY.

2nd. so even with a TTM57SL... you know that you have to transfer the recorded audio back via USB. ... Now my question of the day for you, my dear Allen Justin, ... does that mean more or less CPU cycles?
PopRoXxX 3:15 PM - 7 December, 2009
hey nik, was i wrong? i'm guessing i was. ;-)
VJ Justin Allen 3:16 PM - 7 December, 2009
Hm let's see what your screwed up thinking has brought us in this last posting.

1) wishing you a death. Nope, never said that, actually I made a point to say I hope that you live a long life and keep contributing.

FAIL - nik39

2) DO I have a TTM57SL...Nope. As you know I have a Pioneer DJM-800, 3 DVJ-X1's and other assorted professional level video gear. While I do have the SL1, it's because that is all that would work with my system. Since the cost of the DJM-800 is more than the TTM57SL, there goes your theory about me being cheap.

FAIL - nik 39 again

3) since I don't have the TTM57SL I cannot answer your question. However you even got my name wrong, so we are going to have to label this question, yes, you guessed it

FAIL - nik39 once again
PopRoXxX 3:21 PM - 7 December, 2009
i think the bashing is starting to name this thread "lame"

contributions go way farther than the bashings. ;-)
VJ Justin Allen 3:23 PM - 7 December, 2009
I agree 100%. If you look back at this and many other threads you will see that nik39 continues to throw out the "cheap shots". It gets a bit old.

Good point PopRoXXX
nik39 3:39 PM - 7 December, 2009
Nothing wrong with saving pennies, don't get your pants wet. :)

Quote:
1) wishing you a death. Nope, never said that, actually I made a point to say I hope that you live a long life and keep contributing.

I know you love me. I just thought I would point out that IF EVER you wished death on me and expressed this here. :) I know you would never do that since you love me :)

Quote:
wishing death on someone (humorously or otherwise)

Don't think people (incl. mods) don't have a sense for sarcasm (which belongs IMHO to "otherwise" in the quote above).

Quote:
2) DO I have a TTM57SL...[...] there goes your theory about me being cheap.

You don't want me to proove it. Really, you don't want me. But that's not the point here.

You did not answer my questions.

You actually never answer my questions. Are the answers to uncomfortable for you?

Let me summerize the point for you again:

Quote:
I think that not being able to have this done internally (like ScratchLive can record internally) however shows that not having an integrated set-up has the potential for creating more issues

EVEN ScratchLive won't be able to record it internally (unless you have TTM57 or MP4 (I think...)). This means that consequently Serato will never be able to deliver a satisfying recording function for you, Justin.

Your posts are full of contradictions, sorry to say.
Funkytownstopsix 4:31 PM - 7 December, 2009
Are you guys flirting or what? Get a room and do it already? Why so much hate neither pays either's pay check so chunk up the deuce....

So this is what I am getting, if recording I have to line up video and audio in an editing program when I am done. ME has better FX and has Text. So if SLV was to come out with more FX and Text there would be no need for ME unless you wanted to record. I'm I correct of does ME offer more than what I know. Since I use screenflow audio and video are synced already so don't have to do that. I guess the questions should be what are the true main reasons you use ME. Stability can't be an issue I have not had SLV crash on either my PC or Mac in at least a year. To be honest the only time it has crashed was when I update quick time on my own. I am sure text is the biggest but is that worth paying $200.
nik39 4:52 PM - 7 December, 2009
Quote:
I'm I correct of does ME offer more than what I know.

There is more in ME than FX+text.
My top 5 out of a bigger list (in descending order)
- random effect choosing out of a list
- my GPU chokes less when using ME (dunno why)
- ME has better quality output (compare them...)
- being able to keep the prepare crate open and set ME's preview windows to translucient (means you can see both at the same time)
- you can choose FX directly by midi (one click)

Quote:
Since I use screenflow audio and video are synced already so don't have to do that.

That *will* put more load on your computer while recording. It will also degrade the recored video since you are "just" capturing the video from screen.
Funkytownstopsix 6:25 PM - 7 December, 2009
So ME captures recordings how how? I assumed the same way that sceeen flow it would use second screen. If not it's capturing the actual output before it hits second screen is that what your saying NIK. I can choose FX with my midi so I am a little lost on that one. I hit a button to scroll i turn knob and pic the effect I want to use hit same button to choose. Then I assume your midi controller is set up for an FX on each button. I worked with DJVMB one night at a party and boy you can learn a lot from other dj's on how they do things differently all of which could help in some forum or fashion. Last Nik on a scale of degradation ME vs Screenflow how much quality difference do u think is lost.
Funkytownstopsix 6:27 PM - 7 December, 2009
Ohhh and so do u use the ttm57 to record the audio for your mix when using ME?
nik39 6:38 PM - 7 December, 2009
Quote:
it's capturing the actual output before it hits second screen is that what your saying NIK.

I assume that there is no need to "capture" the output - the output is generated by ME, so ME knows what is being output.

Quote:
I hit a button to scroll i turn knob and pic the effect I want to use hit same button to choose.

In VSL: click button, windows pops up, choose effect by moving slider, click button again = 3actions
In ME: change slider = 1 action
(It has a downside, which doesn't matter for me)

Quote:
Then I assume your midi controller is set up for an FX on each button.

You can set it up this way.

Quote:
Last Nik on a scale of degradation ME vs Screenflow how much quality difference do u think is lost.

Sorry, I couldn't give a precise answer. Which scale? What is min, max? How do you define the quality in max, max?
tomatoslice 6:45 PM - 7 December, 2009
Quote:
Ohhh and so do u use the ttm57 to record the audio for your mix when using ME?

not exactly. you use the output of the mixer and run a cable back into the mic input of your comp.
so basically you can use any mixer.
Funkytownstopsix 6:57 PM - 7 December, 2009
oh then it's like screenflow will ME combine both video and audio without having to go to another program or u must use FC or something like that... ? Maybe I am thinking to hard on this...I need a break and you guys do to so... Go here Watchwww.youtube.com to see 2 of my idles I will never be that good but damn I wish I was..
Funkytownstopsix 6:59 PM - 7 December, 2009
Nik i guess the question should have been is it that noticeable of a difference between screenflow and ME recording quality. Putting them next to each other would the normal eye catch that.
Funkytownstopsix 7:00 PM - 7 December, 2009
So ME captures recordings how how? I assumed the same way that sceeen flow it would use second screen. If not it's capturing the actual output before it hits second screen is that what your saying NIK. I can choose FX with my midi so I am a little lost on that one. I hit a button to scroll i turn knob and pic the effect I want to use hit same button to choose. Then I assume your midi controller is set up for an FX on each button. I worked with DJVMB one night at a party and boy you can learn a lot from other dj's on how they do things differently all of which could help in some forum or fashion. Last Nik on a scale of degradation ME vs Screenflow how much quality difference do u think is lost.
tomatoslice 7:28 PM - 7 December, 2009
from what i can tell it captures the image from the output monitor window. it doesn't matter what screen it is. normally even when i am NOT doing a video set or even have the output screen expanded it still records the video. which is what vsl should do but doesn't, yet.

fx can be hot cued to a midi controller.
i just bought a launchpad for ableton and will be setting it up that way.

from what i can tell ME is pretty damn lossless. then again i have only observed the screen during rendering. i never finished a full render.
Serato, Support
ChrisD 9:27 PM - 7 December, 2009
nik39, if you see some comments that you think are incorrect by all means say so but please do so without the petty personal digs at the person who made the comment.

Justin you're not helping matters by repeatedly dredging up old beefs. It's boring and a waste of my time.
nik39 9:52 PM - 7 December, 2009
Chris, I understand.

But it is unfair that the other party gets away with doing sarcastic remarks and stuff which are not nice either.
Joshua Carl 11:08 PM - 7 December, 2009
blumpkin.

that is all
Dj Ace 2:08 AM - 8 December, 2009
sigh
lvmez 2:09 AM - 8 December, 2009
a lot of children on these forums.
DJ DisGrace 3:04 AM - 8 December, 2009
from what I've taken in, ME takes note of which videos you play, transitions you use, when and how you mix them, then renders your mix from that info - all after the fact. This way thre is no strain on your laptop during the mix, only after once you start to render.

yes?
DJ'Que 4:56 AM - 8 December, 2009
Quote:
a lot of children on these forums.
for real.
DJ Dan-E 5:29 AM - 8 December, 2009
suggestion to the mods.....open up a war forum.....this will take you back to the 80's BBS days.
Joshua Carl 7:16 AM - 8 December, 2009
so, its not in "real time"?
D-Twizzle 7:48 AM - 8 December, 2009
nope, this was explained way back in july when this thread was made, haha. i'm sure someone will ask the same thing again in this thread 5 months from now.
tomatoslice 9:01 AM - 8 December, 2009
i like the gui better in ME as well
vinylmanipulator 10:28 AM - 8 December, 2009
I agree tomato slice....just got thru messing with ME as well. Definitely liking the gui....I like that you can place it on the prepare window, but I"m gonna see what it looks like on an external display tomorrow night when i head back to work. I also got to check out how some of these first rips I did with handbrake came out. Looks good on laptop but need to know how it will look on 4 projectors and about 18 flat panel displays...
vinylmanipulator 10:33 AM - 8 December, 2009
Liking ME, but I'm waiting to hear some word if there is gonna be some kinda upgrade soon to VSl.....I"ve got a lot of videos to rip anyway..so I've got plenty of time till I'm good and ready to go full ahead with video SL or ME. I' haveDVJ's at the club so no worries there. I imagine I'll be making a decision by the end of January.
Funkytownstopsix 1:32 PM - 8 December, 2009
There was a program I used back in the day that made a text file with everything that happened. Kinda like command and conquer does with it's replay system. Which means that if your using an external drive it must be on in order for the mix to complete and or come out properly. Twizzle I did read that on one of your post some time ago as I recall now,,,, a long time ago but things change daily.
DJ'Que 4:06 PM - 8 December, 2009
this thread will self destruct on 1/10.
nik39 4:11 PM - 8 December, 2009
Quote:

We're back on track. No worries.
DJ'Que 4:29 PM - 8 December, 2009
but really. I don't see a reason to go spend $188 on ME. I use to make pre text all the time and render it as a mov. Then make it a mp4. And wham vsl reads it. For birthdays I would get all the birthday names from the promoter and make them ahead of time. Since you have to call and book your birthday in advance. That way they don't have to bother me. Recording my sets is something I will pass on. I don't need to do that's. Did that back when I was a 1580 k-day dj. We always sent in our mix and wasn't in the station. On the weekends and weekdays. I remember being at a club and this dj comes up to me and goes, hey your on the radio now, but your at the club???. How is that. I said its a pre made mix we do. He was like ohh. Back to me. I could also do jpg. Png, gif, or any picture file and render it as a mp4 and play it on vsl. On top of a video. I had to play it as I was playing a track but it worked and all that was free. Even logo's I would make a mp4 and have it play in vsl. If its something I would want vsl to do, I first look at all what file's vsl supports. Then I would search the web for a software to make that type of file. Since the reason scratchlive & vsl is so stable with those file's. And I would make that's file. Its easy. Then I would wait for them (serato) to make the update. On my mac all my beta's and final's run good no crashes. But if something is wrong I search the form or see if I did something wrong. But I have used my text or mp4 maker program since the beginning of Nov.
DJ'Que 4:32 PM - 8 December, 2009
Millz 5:04 PM - 8 December, 2009
Didn't the guy who wrote the ME program used to work for Serato? He may not be that far out the loop of things as you think.

^^^
Step back and think ladies and gentlemen.

Ever wonder why no other company has made a similar product like mE ?

And this petty ish you guys are goin on with makes you look bad, regardless whos right or wrong...who gives 2 shits what the other person is doing or who is right or wrong...
Rebelguy 5:25 PM - 8 December, 2009
Quote:

^^^

I don't understand the point you are making.
nik39 6:01 PM - 8 December, 2009
Quote:
I could also do jpg. Png, gif, or any picture file and render it as a mp4

How user friendly. Awesomeness. :)
nik39 6:10 PM - 8 December, 2009
I assume you also don't the VSL/ME effects engine, because you can prerender your videos with the desired effects and have a much broader selection of effects :)
DJ-Phat-AL 7:54 PM - 8 December, 2009
who here lately has actually written a letter by hand and mailed it through the post office...?

no one..

so if you are in a situation where you NEED to be using text and all the other bells and whistles that come with ME then... USE IT!!! otherwise if you are fine with some of the limitations of VSL then... by all means... USE THAT!!

case closed.

exiting stage left....
nik39 7:58 PM - 8 December, 2009
*applauds*

Hit the nail on the head.
DJ DisGrace 8:11 PM - 8 December, 2009
Quote:
Sure my car could get me to work in the morning but I could also walk the 5 miles.

Sure my buddy could use ME, or pay me to create logo mp4's instead :)
Funkytownstopsix 9:02 PM - 8 December, 2009
Text movie is not the same as text overlay trust me I make motion clips on the fly while using vsl I much rather use text. Thanks guys I got more info out of this then you will ever know, some of it twice. : ) I only have one last question. Since the mix is after the fact in ME how well does it record scratching or very fast movements with the fader do they transcends onto the video just as they happen live. Really that's the only thing I want to know before I go and do what I do.....
Millz 9:12 PM - 8 December, 2009
c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com

buy one of these
PopRoXxX 9:22 PM - 8 December, 2009
damn! is that a new 2000?!

hey millz, where do you get your lettering stickers. i need to get some good ones for my MBP! :)
Millz 9:29 PM - 8 December, 2009
I can hook u with my boy Freebird, him and his buddy got a website where they do custom graphics and lettering...

www.yourdjskins.com

please mention I sent you. The prices are decent.

I had a local guy here in Pittsburgh do mine stuff, he isnt real into graphics (since he usually only letters fire trucks etc)...
PopRoXxX 9:31 PM - 8 December, 2009
gotcha. i didn't know if you just picked them up at a target or walmart etc. lol

yes yes. i try to be cheap when i can. after all the great $$$ spent on equipment. i'll check them out. thanks for the heads up ;-)
Millz 9:37 PM - 8 December, 2009
i picked my 2000 up at wal mart. Well I got a great deal on my cdj2000 because I paid for it right around the time Pioneer's press release...I also paid for a 900 but estimate on that is 2 weeks for some reason.

For my computer, I wanted something simple and easy for people to read...free advertizing doesnt hurt. When Mac puts out there new MBP's in late winter Ill be having the guys at yourdjskins make me up a PIMP one for my new MBP.

For now its back to testing this new cdj...
Millz 9:37 PM - 8 December, 2009
LOL I meant to say I DIDNT pick up my cdj @ wal mart ha ha
PopRoXxX 9:40 PM - 8 December, 2009
Quote:
LOL I meant to say I DIDNT pick up my cdj @ wal mart ha ha

haha. i meant the letters and numbers. lol
Millz 9:45 PM - 8 December, 2009
i know :) i got hit by the herbal assassin.
sixxx 10:32 PM - 8 December, 2009
Quote:
who here lately has actually written a letter by hand and mailed it through the post office...?

no one..

so if you are in a situation where you NEED to be using text and all the other bells and whistles that come with ME then... USE IT!!! otherwise if you are fine with some of the limitations of VSL then... by all means... USE THAT!!

case closed.

exiting stage left....

I write letters all the time. I hate typing letters to people. They're very impersonal.
sixxx 10:32 PM - 8 December, 2009
And I type stupid fast! lol
DJ'Que 11:58 PM - 8 December, 2009
Quote:
I assume you also don't the VSL/ME effects engine, because you can prerender your videos with the desired effects and have a much broader selection of effects :)
huh.???? Is this some kinda of chick talk. I swear mines talks the same dam way. (quote: you don't the vsl/Me/ ????????) I just don't get it.
nik39 12:04 AM - 9 December, 2009
Q, do whatever works for you. But you gotta understand that people will of course question what you are doing if you post about it here. To some your method looks let's say "old fashioned". If you prefer to do it all manually (prerending) - that's your choice. Some people love the ability being flexible and not rely on prerended texts etc.
DJ'Que 12:14 AM - 9 December, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

^^^

I don't understand the point you are making.
his point is why make something that serato will most likey put in their program later. What's the rush. The guy that use to work for serato makes ME only for mac's. Why is that. Hint less problems then a pc. Serato has to make it work for pc and mac. Which pc holds up the speed of things. But it just makes serato that much stable. Someone just post a vb3 is crashing on a pc with 2.16 ghz and 3gb of memory and I run the same vb3 for 4hrs and it ran perfect. Without a glitch on a mac doing instant double's, which he said the cause was.. But what happen's when serato put all that from ME. In a newer version for free. Then what. People will cry about wasteing $188 for ME. I'm done with this. As only 3 people on this page know what's coming.
sixxx 12:21 AM - 9 December, 2009
Quote:
Another thing to mention would be that I cannot run VSL at "best quality" without getting some stuttering on my video, with ME I could play using best quality and the video plays back just fine.

Watcha talkin' about Willis? Point me in the right direction. (no misquote)
DJ'Que 12:23 AM - 9 December, 2009
Quote:
Q, do whatever works for you. But you gotta understand that people will of course question what you are doing if you post about it here. To some your method looks let's say "old fashioned". If you prefer to do it all manually (prerending) - that's your choice. Some people love the ability being flexible and not rely on prerended texts etc.
I know. But spending $188 on me is stupid to me. When sooner or later serato will add it. And the guy that worked for serato probley knew that. And hurry up and mad ME for mac only. Since all he has to do is focus on one platform. But in the club no one will say. Dam he was doing text and png files way back in march. But now serato just released their version. But its more stable. ME might be faster but at a price it better be. I was using what came with my mac. And doing it. Now I don't have to.
Joshua Carl 12:32 AM - 9 December, 2009
when the day comes, and I buy a mac.
(i dont hate on either, but history dictates that for sertato mac seems to be
more-friendly. I consider myself lucky Ive had a good run with a PC)
I will certainly entertain the Idea of ME.

we might be the lowest form of "artists".
and I dont know about anyone else, but I was every color availible to be on my palette.
so if ME offers somethings that I find useful.
its under 200.00.
thats undercutters pay right there.

worst case scenario, Im out 188.00
skinnyguy 12:39 AM - 9 December, 2009
Quote:
..... But what happen's when serato put all that from ME. In a newer version for free. Then what. People will cry about wasteing $188 for ME. ...

updates for ME are free too. it's not like VSL was free to begin with either.
sixxx 1:00 AM - 9 December, 2009
My friend has a PC and VSL is running fine. When I upgrade to an MBP, I will probably try ME. :)
Millz 2:00 AM - 9 December, 2009
what can we get for 10$?
PopRoXxX 1:41 PM - 9 December, 2009
^^^^ only the left deck output window of ME. lol
PopRoXxX 1:41 PM - 9 December, 2009
Quote:
i know :) i got hit by the herbal assassin.

i love that guy Millz. he's coming to my house too! haha
Millz 2:51 PM - 9 December, 2009
:)
Demon 5:46 PM - 9 December, 2009
Quote:
what can we get for 10$?

Anyting you waan.
tomatoslice 7:04 PM - 9 December, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
what can we get for 10$?

Anyting you waan.

haaa!! that's awesome, i am definitely pulling that video sample now.
Millz 7:05 PM - 9 December, 2009
reeeemixxx
DJ'Que 1:40 AM - 11 December, 2009
1.2 vsl ?????? Ya'll happy now.
Joshua Carl 2:38 AM - 11 December, 2009
it was hard to keep quiet and watch this debate.
PopRoXxX 3:19 AM - 11 December, 2009
Me too :-P
PopRoXxX 3:20 AM - 11 December, 2009
And when I was broadcasting LiVE online. I still had my old QTZ overlays and text files. But was I using those on the last set of broadcasts Josh? ;-)
Dj Ace 3:25 AM - 11 December, 2009
LOL...me three
djstat 4:27 PM - 12 December, 2009
Does Mix emergency work with the TTM 57SL? Is it worth buying? Is VSL 1.2 going to add most of this anyway?
tomatoslice 4:46 PM - 12 December, 2009
yes, the crossfader and volume movement of the 57 can be read by and controls ME
yes, its worth buying but f you already have vsl it's not that necessary
idk
PopRoXxX 10:23 PM - 12 December, 2009
i would like to see ME implement the midi usage of the 57. that would be freakin' awesome if you could setup the groups and buttons for whatever to control whatever in SSL & ME
tomatoslice 2:29 AM - 13 December, 2009
hmmm....dont know what you mean Roxxx but you can control ME with a midi and you can control SSL with midi.
it would be best if you used different scenes tho.
PopRoXxX 4:05 PM - 13 December, 2009
what i'm trying to say is implement the midi usage OF the 57 mixer. being able to assign the buttons in the groups to control ME. like how group 5 controls all of the video effects (default) in VSL on the 57. but being able to map the 57's controls to ME however you want.
DJ Prashant 10:20 AM - 14 January, 2010
Quote:
what i'm trying to say is implement the midi usage OF the 57 mixer. being able to assign the buttons in the groups to control ME. like how group 5 controls all of the video effects (default) in VSL on the 57. but being able to map the 57's controls to ME however you want.

Midi mapping should be able to let you do that right?
PopRoXxX 12:53 PM - 14 January, 2010
That's what I was thinking. But I don't think it's possible to do this with the 57 in ME. At least not yet ;-)
tomatoslice 3:59 PM - 14 January, 2010
Quote:
That's what I was thinking. But I don't think it's possible to do this with the 57 in ME. At least not yet ;-)

it is not possible, yet, to assign buttons and knobs from the 57 to ME.
BUT the volume sliders and crossfader are readable in ME.
DjStevieG 7:00 PM - 14 January, 2010
I use Mixemergency, i love it, i found it more appealing than vsl because you can use custom screen overlays and record ur mix as well as many other great features not in vsl.

also the technical support for ME is excellent, i suggested a feature to them and they applied it to their next update - i was very impressed.

Big up to the serato support as well though :-)
GRiNDBoX 11:14 AM - 12 August, 2010
anyone knows why my TTM57 channel faders and crossfaders will go with ME? i thought its automatic once you plug it in?
tomatoslice 9:59 AM - 13 August, 2010
Quote:
? i thought its automatic once you plug it in?

i am assuming you mean "anyone knows why my TTM57 channel faders and crossfaders will NOT go with ME?"

in the upper right of the Mix Emergency window there is a littel box that you can switch from Scratch Live to MixEmergency. mke usre it is on Scratch live and the green light is on.

other than that, idk.

unless of course you mean that you don't know why your TTM57 faders and crossfaders aren't moving when you use them in ME...if that is the issue than you have more problems than i can help you with.
tomatoslice 10:00 AM - 13 August, 2010
wow, quoted the wrong part...

RAD!!
Funkytownstopsix 2:55 PM - 13 August, 2010
Also look at the buttons for the center fader of your control www.inklen.com the ones to the left click them and play with your fader to see which you want or like... and yeah all of what Tomatoslice. said..... damn I started this thread dont think I ever said I brought it...I
did!!!!!!!.
GRiNDBoX 6:58 AM - 14 August, 2010
nah Nick already replied to me..thanks anyways...:)
zaguama 6:18 PM - 3 October, 2010
Anyone knows if MixEmergency can playback X264 Encoded videos on MKV containers? and if so how good is the performance, can you scratch the videos without issues?

Thanks.
tomatoslice 9:54 PM - 3 October, 2010
Quote:
Anyone knows if MixEmergency can playback X264 Encoded videos on MKV containers? and if so how good is the performance, can you scratch the videos without issues?

Thanks.

just tried loading an mkv, it did not load.

even if it did load, like a vob does, it would not matter because ssl is what's used to do the scratching. ssl if i recall does not load mkv.
zaguama 11:44 PM - 3 October, 2010
hmmm that sucks, wow i would have to convert a lot of shit hehe damn.