Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Can we have hot loops stored with hot cues?

FingerJockey 3:25 PM - 4 April, 2019
On other software, it's possible to save stored hot loops alongside hot cues, whereas as far as I can see in SDJ, cue points and loops have to be stored separately. It's a lot quicker to have them all in one location.
DJ Tecniq 4:41 PM - 4 April, 2019
What type of hardware are you actually using? You can access saved loops on your controller or mixer if it’s serato enabled.
FingerJockey 5:13 PM - 4 April, 2019
I’m using an Akai AMX and AFX. In this setup, I have to store saved loops, nominate which one I want to use, then activate it. All on a separate pad arrangement from the hot-cues. I’d much prefer to have hot cues and hot loops together, if you know a solution? Cheers
DJ Tecniq 5:22 PM - 4 April, 2019
Quote:
I’d much prefer to have hot cues and hot loops together
How would you know which function does what? Have you tried midi mapping a saved loop to a pad? I wouldn’t want hot cues/saved loops in the same area what if you accidentally hit a hot cue while the track is playing...song starts over in front of a live crowd. I think it would be most best to keep these functions separate imo
FingerJockey 5:25 PM - 4 April, 2019
In other software i’ve used, the indicators on the software are lit differently. Plus, it’s no worse hitting the wrong hot loop than the wrong hot cue. Maybe i’m Lazy.
DJ Tecniq 5:31 PM - 4 April, 2019
Quote:
In other software i’ve used, the indicators on the software are lit differently. Plus, it’s no worse hitting the wrong hot loop than the wrong hot cue. Maybe i’m Lazy.
As far as i know saved loops are very different from hot cues nor are they ever on the same pad.
DJ Tecniq 5:34 PM - 4 April, 2019
Maybe this this shift + cue button on your hardware.
youtu.be
DJ Tecniq 5:34 PM - 4 April, 2019
Try*
FingerJockey 5:51 PM - 4 April, 2019
Thanks for the tip. Will try it when I can. 👍
Glenn Ghoul 6:12 PM - 5 April, 2019
on my controller the shift mode for Hot Cues uses the beginning of the cue to autoloop (at whatever duration it’s set to) which works but is sort of awkward and gets stuck occasionally (i.e. it confuses me).

So instead:

I have an old M-audio Trigger Finger that I set a row of pads to activate auto-loop on each deck + a knob above it that sets the loop length. If you want to loop a cue point, you punch it at the same time as the auto-loop button for that deck, and then you’re looping.
You can set those triggers on ANY corny ol midi thing with some buttons an a few knobs. If you don’t have something already, you could find something with $10 and an afternoon on craigslist.

I prefer this method because it’s much quicker than changing pad modes. There’s just the one button that turns looping on or off, so it’s simple/predictable - it’s like a Dicer for your controller. Bonus: you also get to keep your cue points on deck so you can jump out whenever you want.

Changing pad modes takes twice as long as you think, because you have to change them back.