Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Library management with Musicbee?

mrbriano 12:30 PM - 27 March, 2019
I've searched quite a bit on the forums and don't see any final answers.

I currently use iTunes for library management (and listening, which is why doing both on one program is preferred) but would love to be able to dump iTunes on my PC. Was a long time mac user, and don't miss any of it.

Is there any verdict on using Musicbee the same as iTunes? Any issues with editing data in Sertao and playback in Musicbee? Etc al.?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
mrbriano 1:30 PM - 10 April, 2019
Anyone?

iTunes is on its way out (Apple is developing separate apps for music, streaming, audiobooks, etc.) and it seems like now would be the time for Serato to adapt to working with other music library systems.
noskills 12:38 PM - 3 June, 2019
Ditto, does anyone have any feedback? I’m on a Mac, but also an iTunes user who’ll be affected by the (likely) phaseout, and am looking for an alternative library management system. I started looking into MediaMonkey, but would love to hear what others are doing.
Bigheaded 10:20 AM - 4 June, 2019
I'm confused if they stop developing iTunes, it will still work, MP3's and FLAC's and shit will still be the same. How will Apple phasing it out effect me when I'll still have it installed, and it will still work exactly the same. It's not like Serato is going to release some massive total re-write version that won't work with iTunes. We can't even get basic shit like play count lol. I don't run OSX so maybe Apple can do something to make iTunes no longer function I dunno. But I'll keep whatever the last version is installed and not think about it *shrug*
Douglas Budde 11:42 AM - 5 June, 2019
I have a ton of software that I use in conjunction with Serato (PC user here ;))
- To fix names I use Tag&Rename
- To fix corrupted songs (the ones with the yellow lightning in Serato) I use VBR fix
- To check if the file has a decent bitrate I use Fakin' the Funk
Plus many others...
DJ STRETCH - NYC 7:21 PM - 5 June, 2019
SERATO - Please beef up your library management NOW!!!
A separate app that can:
1. load fast
2. that isn't tided to the OS (PC or MAC) so you can use it on whatever we like.
3. select which is not all folders/crates/playlist will show up within SDJ.
4. TBD.....
Wavespeech 12:04 PM - 6 June, 2019
I use MusicBee on my PCs as my media player, and Serato is on a laptop.
I run MusicBee portable from the server with it's library database folder as a sub-folder in my music share on the server.

I have all my music on a home server (you could use any PC, NAS, Laptop.
I download/rip/dump any tracks into a folder.
Musicbee monitors this folder and adds it to it's INBOX.
I then audition, tag, albumart the files in the INBOX.
I then click a button and those files are stored on my server in ARTIST\ALBUM\Artist-Album-Track-Title, files are moved with correct tags.

Now I have a neat and tidy media library of music on the server.

I have a different view in MusicBee for playing music, a jukebox like view, just to look nice.

If I play a track I like, I can immediately ADD TO PLAYLIST, say - Serato playlist.

Serato playlist is set to sync with my Serato Laptop (or a USB drive etc). Once the laptop is on the network, turned on, I can SYNC playlist from Musicbee to Serato laptop by pressing one button.
Files are then copied to the Serato laptop \music\Artist-Title.mp3, flat folder structure and shorter name to keep Serato library speedy.

You could also export different multiple playlist for use as crates, depending on filter criteria in MusicBee.

Then, play files in Serato, grid them, play count them, rate them, add notes etc.

Finished Serato set, sync Serato laptop folder back to your home server/music library, renaming the file and re-sorting it back into the correct folder. Taking back the tags updated in Serato. All on a button/macro.*

*This annoys me, I need to find a way to: update tags in file on server by copying tags from file on Serato Laptop without copying the file, just the tags. To save the unnecessary file copying.

Seems really long-winded but its how I manage my music.

You could of course just put all your music in files managed by MusicBee and use the same for Serato. But, I have all the household music on my server which I don't want in Serato.
Culprit 12:31 AM - 10 June, 2019
I use resilio sync

I pause syncing, download files from my music services to a folder which I sync folders to crates using scratchtools which was developed for scratch live. Once the script is done then I open scratch live and do library analyzation and clean up. Unpause resilio sync and it updates my private cloud server and my studio laptop and backup live rigs
Pepehouse 8:23 PM - 18 March, 2020
yeah, library management is still a pain in the ass.

It appeared on my Facebook a couple of days ago as an advert, still in beta but it promises a lot of things in the same program, I just joined, still waiting the cue for trying, as I said looks promising.

www.mixo.dj