DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

ETX-18sp vs CVXL-218s vs SRX828sp or is there something better?

WS6_Keith 8:12 PM - 22 March, 2019
Looking to add another sub to my system. Going through the specs and searching/reading all I can, I've found very little actual hands-on reviews of these. This will be used in a fixed location, so moving them is not a concern. With a budget of $2k, I've worked it down to:

Electro Voice ETX-18sp: 1 x 18", 1800w, 28Hz range, 135dB max @ 1499
Cerwin - Vega CVXL-218s: 2 x 18", 2000w, 28Hz range, 140dB max @ 1699
JBL - SRX828sp: 2 x 18", 2000w, 29Hz range, 141dB max @ 1999

On paper, the CV and JBL are very close. The CV reports to go a touch deeper, and gives up just a little bit of dB, but for $300 less, maybe it's not an issue. The EV goes as deep as the CV, but gives up 5dB for the lower price.

Is there something else out there I should be considering? Does anyone have any side-by-side comparison info on these? Used these and can give some feedback on what you liked or didn't like?

Thanks!
dj_soo 9:08 AM - 23 March, 2019
I've been running a pair of the midrange CVX18S for the last year or so and it's surprisingly good sub for the price. Great sound quality, good output, no problems so far. I'd put the CVX subs more in line with the EV EKX line tho and I've never heard the CVXL stuff, but if the sound quality of the CVX sub is anything to go by, it should sound pretty good.

The big issue with the new Cerwin Vega stuff is it's just unproven and because it's not very popular, you're not going to get a bunch of real-world feedback or as many reports about issues so it's a bit of a risk. It's not the same Cerwin Vega of the 90s so it's basically more of a brand new company riding on the name of its predecessor. I can't tell you what their customer support is like, and it's parent company in Gibson filed for bankruptcy early last year although it is apparently out of that and still in business.

The SRX828 is relatively proven and although there has been some reports of issues, JBL is an established company with an established reputation for quality so that extra $300 would be more for peace of mind than anything I think.

The CVs are a risk because of their lack of track record, but like I said, I've been very happy with my CVX18s so it might work out for you. But then again, my subs are only a little over a year old so I can't tell you the longevity of them, but I've been pushing them at several gigs and they've performed pretty well.

The ETX18SP is a great sub, but you're comparing dual 18s to a single 18 so it's not really going to keep up unless you use a pair.

If you want pure output and throw at the sacrifice of deeper bass, there's also the Yorkville ES18P which is a beast of a sub and the horn-loaded design should give you more throw than the front loaded design of the SRX or CVXL.
WS6_Keith 10:49 PM - 26 March, 2019
So that kinda cuts the EV from the options, as I kinda figured. Anyone else have any hands-on with either of these two dual-18" powered subs that they can share?

I'm leaning to the JBL just from the proven aspect. Where's the best place to buy them? I saw someone mention this sub for $1600? I haven't found it for under $1999.
Rebelguy 12:51 AM - 27 March, 2019
Quote:
So that kinda cuts the EV from the options, as I kinda figured. Anyone else have any hands-on with either of these two dual-18" powered subs that they can share?

I'm leaning to the JBL just from the proven aspect. Where's the best place to buy them? I saw someone mention this sub for $1600? I haven't found it for under $1999.

You won’t find any advertised prices lower than $1999. Retailers are required to list the same price in print. You can call stores though and ask for a better price.
WS6_Keith 11:43 PM - 1 April, 2019
Thanks guys. I think I've decided on the JBL. I appreciate your input.
ATLVJS 6:33 PM - 24 April, 2019
I'm late to the party. I would go with the JBL from proaudiostar. They usually have one used for $1,500.00. I went to a party and the DJ was using 2 of them. Needless to say, he had plenty of power to spare. I had 2 EKX-18SP and ordered 2 EXK-18SP from proaudiostar for a few gigs that require massive bass. They were taking a while to deliver it because it was back ordered. I went online to check the status and I saw the JBL for $1,500.00. I called to change my order to get one of those instead of the 2 EKX-18SP but they had shipped it.
WS6_Keith 8:54 PM - 27 February, 2020
Just thought I'd post an update. I did buy the JBL SRX-828SP and found that it has quite a bit of bass. It's tight, not boomy and does well above 35Hz to 100Hz in my garage. The space is roughly 40' x 42' with 13' to the rafters. I coupled this with a home-built sub box housing a Resonant Engineering XXX-15" sub port tuned for 29Hz. That is driven by a Crown CE-2000 amp (1950rms).

To get them to place nice together, I use a dbx Driverack 260 to only send 45Hz and below to the RE sub, and 30Hz to 100Hz to the JBL. I also had to limit the RE sub, but the Driverack does all this very nicely.

Always looking for more, I'm considering adding a second SRX-828SP unless something better comes along.